Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Neon Genesis Evangelion: Altered Destinies ❯ Launch Thirteen ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Altered Destinies
Launch Thirteen!

“So what happened?” Misato asked her eagerly even as the sirens blared in NERV, people rushing about wildly.

“Mana gave me a warning,” Shinji hurried along in her blue plug suit, her brown ponytail bouncing against her back, “stay out of Jet Alone’s way or else.”

“That wasn’t very friendly,” Misato frowned.

Shinji snorted, “You can say that again.”

Just then a angry shout rang out and Asuka hurried to catch up, her red plug suit hugging her more generous curves. “I told you to wait,” she said to Shinji fiercely.

“Misato needed to debrief me on something,” Shinji improvised fast.

“Humph,” Asuka frowned as they hurried into the briefing room.

“What are you doing here?” Misato nearly skidded to a stop seeing who was casually waiting for them in there.

“Just observing,” Kaji smiled charmingly, the unshaven man watching with amusement as he sat in one of the chairs down front.

“Ah hem,” Ritsuko cleared her throat, the woman standing by the main display reminding them why they were here.

“Sorry, Rits-chan,” Misato said after she walked up to the other woman, “I’ll be good.”

Ritsuko gave her a fond look, “I’ll believe that when I see it.”

Rei Ayanami entered and took a seat as she smiled slightly at Shinji. “Things went well?” she asked her softly.

“Good enough,” Shinji whispered back.

“All right everyone,” Ritsuko said once they all settled down, “here’s what we know.” A image appeared of the area around the city, “We’ve detected a Angel inbound to the city, estimated to arrive in two hours. With the damage to the city from earlier Angel attacks, we want to try to stop it before it gets here.”

“I’m willing to go out alone,” Asuka’s eyes shone with eagerness as she continued, “just give the word.”
“We’ll deploy both you and Shinji,” Misato corrected, “I’d send Rei out too, but unit 00 is still being repaired.”

“Understood,” Rei said flatly, eyes flickering to Shinji a moment.

“This should be interesting,” Shinji sighed, feeling the pure eagerness positively radiating off of Asuka.

“We don’t know what capabilities this Angel might have,” Ritsuko cautioned them, “be cautious before attacking.”

“We’ll be fine,” Asuka reassured her as they got up to go.

It didn’t take long for the two Evangelion’s to be deployed, carried by modified carrier transport to the edge of the city. Both were deployed smoothly, power cables attached to give them some extra range as they waited for the Angel to emerge from the sea.

“Don’t get in my way once it arrives.” Asuka warned as she took up position, the red Unit 02 hefting a dangerous looking pole arm.

“Not planning on it,” Shinji said, blinking as he saw movement. “What in the....”

A third transport, a vehicle of a somewhat different design to the ones NERV used, arrived, the cloth covering pulled back to reveal a rather strange looking machine. Unlike the mostly humanoid shaped Evangelion it was very roundish, with thin arms and somewhat more sturdy looking legs.

“You have GOT to be kidding me,” Asuka said, sounding oddly offended by the other machine’s chunky appearance.

“That’s Jet Alone,” Shinji sighed, “at least, it looks like it from the photo’s I’ve seen.”

Asuka said something in German that wasn’t sounding complimentary. “Misato!” she yelled into the radio.

“I’m in touch with them now,” Misato sounded more than a bit pissed even as Jet Alone lumbered up to the two Evas.

“Evangelion pilots,” Jet Alone’s pilot broadcast, “I m here under authority of the Japan Self Defense Force. Remove yourselves from the vicinity.”

“WHAT?!” Asuka roared.

In the background they heard Misato swearing fluently. “All right,” she said in disgust, “pull back.”
“You have got to be kidding,” Shinji said.

Misato sounded disgusted as she said, “Jet Alone’s creators have gotten authorization from the Japanese government to attempt to use their creation against an Angel. It’s been taken out of our hands.”

“Can we at least stick around?” Shinji asked after a moment. “If something goes wrong with Jet Alone....”

“Just stay back unless you have to,” Misato ordered grimly.

Asuka swore again, loudly. “That peace of garbage won’t stand a chance,” she hissed out angrily, hands tight on Unit 02's controls.

Out to sea they could see the Angel, lumbering through the water as Jet Alone waited for it on the shoreline. The angel was mostly humanoid but most resembled a headless torso, the core resting obviously on it’s chest.

“At least the target’s and obvious one,” Shinji murmured.

Jet Alone lumbered forward, arms swinging and attacked with surprising speed. The first blow missed as the Angel circled it, seemingly trying to understand what it faced. The pilot of Jet Alone managed to dodge the first return strike, but a second blow hammered it backwards.

“Ha! Good one,” Asuka sounded amused.

‘Be careful, Mana,’ Shinji thought worriedly.

Jet Alone rallied, sweeping in fast and striking with both fists at the Angel’s core, sending the creature reeling backward. Of course what happened next was a surprise to them all. The Angel’s core appeared to subdivide, the creature splitting, then suddenly there were two Angel’s flanking Jet Alone!

“Misato!” Shinji blurted in alarm.

“I’m contacting the Japanese government now,” Misato barked even as the two halves of the Angel proceeded to beat on Jet Alone.

“That’ll teach them,” Asuka sounded amused.

“Damn it,” Shinji actually sounded angry, “there’s a human being in there.” As sparks and smoke erupted from Jet Alone Shinji had to act, racing in to try and drive the two Angel’s back, Asuka following her in.

“No, I can,” the pilot of Jet Alone coughed, “do this! Stay back!”

“Shut up,” Asuka growled, swinging the polearm-like weapon that Ritsuko had equipped her with for this mission to drive the Angel back.

“Buy me some time,” Shinji said as she used her Evangelion to help Jet Alone up, “I’m going to get this thing clear.”

“Make it fast,” Asuka barked.

0o0o0o0o0o0o0

“Well, that could have gone better,” Misato said later as she surveyed her battered pilots. The Angel had trounced them both, forcing a emergency withdraw and causing the military to drop a N2 mine on it.

Asuka had a bandage wrapped around her head, half her face bruised from a rather rough landing. The LCL was good a protecting them, but obviously it wasn’t perfect. “If that damned robot hadn’t got in the way,” she scowled, “we’d have finished it easily.”

“Maybe, maybe not,” Ritsuko noted calmly. “We’ve analyzed the battle data, the Angel’s split core provides it with a remarkable defense.”

“Which means?” Shinji asked, her arm bandaged from a near break.

“Unless both pieces of the core are destroyed at the same time,” Ritsuko said calmly, “the Angel can’t be stopped.”

“That’s going to be tough to manage,” Misato blinked, processing the information.

“Damn,” Shinji muttered. She looked up questioningly, “How long until the Angel regenerates from the mine?”

“We’ve got a bit over a week until it’s on the move again,” Maya Ibuki spoke up, the brown haired young woman delivering a message to Misato.

“Well, well,” Misato blinked as she read the piece of paper. She looked up at Shinji, “It seems Mana Kirishima is at the entrance gate, asking for you Shinji.”

“Huh?” Shinji looked surprised.

“You’d best see what she wants,” Misato nodded.

A few moments later Shinji found herself at the entrance way, Mana waiting just outside. The normally neat redhead was battered and bruised as bad or worse than the Evangelion pilots, and she had a most unattractive scowl on her face.

“Hello, Miss Kirishima,” Shinji said a bit tentatively.

“Ikari,” Mana said flatly. She took a breath then reluctantly said, “Thank you, you and your fellow pilot may have saved my life.”

“You’re welcome,” Shinji smiled wryly.

“You!” a voice growled. Looking up they saw Asuka charging at them, “You’re the one who interfered with my debut!”

“Here comes hurricane Asuka,” Shinji murmured and Mana giggled.

To be continued....