Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Neon Genesis Evangelion: Altered Destinies ❯ Launch Sixteen ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Altered Destinies
Launch Sixteen!

Alarms wailed as the lava bubbled and churned as they watched from the lip, a trailer containing a portable command center sitting nearby. “No,” Ritsuko hissed as the blonde scientist clutched the console, “the egg is cracking!”

Misato frowned, studying the data. Asuka Langley had gone into the lava in her Evangelion, hoping to retrieve the still unborn Angel, but it appeared their presence alone had begun to awaken it. “Any chance you can put it asleep again?” she asked, giving Ritsuko a thoughtful look.

“No, I don’t think so,” Ritsuko answered flatly.

“Then this just became a standard hunt,” Misato said as she switched over to communications. “Asuka, how are you holding up?” she asked.

“Hot,” Asuka answered, sweating within the pilot seat of her Unit-02. Unlike it’s usual sleek look the Unit-02 was bulked up by gear designed to allow it to function in the lava, making it harder to maneuver. “It’s starting to move,” she reported tersely, “permission to attack?”

“Permission granted,” Misato answered briskly.

“Yes,” Asuka hissed as she swept her Evangelion close, extending the progressive knife to try to engage the fish like thing. But even as a newborn the Angel seemed to have protective instincts, swimming away and dodging the blow.

They flailed about in a clumsy dance as the creature dodged and weaved while Asuka tried to land a blow, her normal combat prowess hampered by the unusual conditions. As MIsato watched she quietly asked, “What happens if it gets away?”

“It’s adapted to life in the Earth’s crust,” Ritsuko said thoughtfully, “it’s entirely possible it could burrow right to the Geofront.”

Misato gulped, “Then it’s got to be stopped here.”

Just then they watched Asuka close with the beast, her knife flash out and she gutted it most finally. There was a moment of silence then Asuka growled out, “Now could someone get me out of here?”

It took a few minutes for the powerful winch to drag the Evangelion up to the surface, and with a hiss of steam coolant was poured over the steaming machine and the remains of the Angel. Crews swarmed over it as soon as it was safe, studying the now inert life form even as crews helped Asuka get out of the entry plug.

“Good work,” Shinji Ikari noted, the black haired woman smiling wryly. Part of her wished her help was needed, while on the other hand she knew Asuka had needed to do this to prove her skills once more.

“Yeah, I was good wasn’t I?” Asuka smirked as she dried off, trying to get the last of the LCL off of her.

“Hmm,” Rei Ayanami made a agreeable sound, the light blue haired girl standing nearby.

“Well done ladies,” Misato said as she hurried down, her black hair falling over her shoulders. She looked oddly informal for a military officer in her miniskirt, but somehow the look still suited her.

“Thank you, ma’am,” Asuka smiled sweetly.

“And thank you for recovering the body,” Ritsuko added a bit more wryly. Obviously she would have preferred a live angel captive, but disecting a reasonably intact corpse was a good secondary option.

They walked away from the lava bit and temporary staging area set up as they headed towards the military trucks that had brought them here. All around them the staff of NERV had been mobilized, collecting the angel’s body, clearing the launch equipment from the site and preparing to haul it all back to their home base. And right in the middle was Maya Ibuki, the black haired officer running things with skill and humor.

Maya turned to see Ritsuko and Misato standing so close hand had to firmly step on her jealousy. She had admired the older woman for years but it was clear her attentions were focused on someone else. She turned back to her work and frowned as a familiar figure watched them work. “Mr. Kaji,” she strode towards him, “are you authorized to be here?”

“No one stopped my when I got on the truck,” Kaji said with some amusement.

‘Remind me to step up security,’ Maya thought with a grimace. Keeping her expression cool she said, “I think you’d better go.”

“Of course,” Kaji smiled, “I think I’ll go catch up with Misato.”

Knowing how much the man annoyed the Major Maya hid a smile, “Good idea.”

Seeing him sauntering over to them Asuka smiled happily and nearly pounced on him as she cried, “Kaji!”

He caught her with a chuckle as Kaji said, “Nicely done.”

“What are you doing here?” Misato growled out, a vein throbbing on the side of her head.

“I couldn’t bare to be parted from you,” Kaji winked.

“Kaji,” Misato grit her teeth.

Ritsuko hid a smile, knowing her lover would not be happy to see her amusement. “I’d stop teasing her,” she addressed him, “while you still can.”

“Spoilsport,” Kaji winked, “why not dump her and go out with me instead?”

“Kaji!” Misato snapped.

“Not to be rude, Kaji, but Misato,” Ritsuko reached out to take her hand, “keeps me very satisfied.”

“Too much information,” Asuka winced visibly.

A faint blush colored Kaji’s cheeks too but he recovered fairly quickly. “So,” he asked curiously, “what kind of reward can our fearless heroes expect?”

“Reward?” Misato blinked.

“Well, they have finished the assignment and they don’t have classes because of the Okinawa trip,” Kaji noted, “why not let them do something?”

Ritsuko paused, “He does have a point....”

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

“Whoo, hoo!” Ritsuko cheered as Misato emerged dressed in a very brief bikini, her top barely concealing her full breasts.

“Ritsuko,” MIsato blushed, usually painfully aware of the vivid white scar that ran down her chest. But she knew she was beautiful in Ritsuko’s eyes and that was all that mattered. Ritsuko herself was wearing a similar set of bikini, in pale blue.

“You two mind?” Shinji asked wryly as she came out of the changing room by the beach in a much more moderate suit, a sleek one piece in blue.

“Why do we need to wear these?” Rei asked mildly as she emerged in her own swim wear, a black two piece that set off nicely her pale skin.

“You can’t wear your school uniform everywhere,” Shinji noted mildly as Asuka left the changing room in a bright red bikini that was so skimpy it should have been illegal.

However, Asuka’s expression of annoyance really didn’t go with the look. “Why did Kaji suggest this and not come along?” she complained bitterly.

‘Because he didn’t wanrt to get assaulted by you?’ was the first response that came to Shinji’s mind, but she decided it would be a bad idea to mention that. “Maybe he had work to do at NERV?” she offered.

“Yeah, yeah,” Asuka stomped by her to the beach.

Not far from Tokyo-3 the beach was originally part of a inland park, swamped by the rising sea levels. Converted into a beach with the importing of plenty of sand it was actually pretty good, as long as you ignored the sunken buildings off in the distance.

“Ah, this is nice,” Misato conceded as they spread out a large blanket so she and Ritsuko could tan together.

“Be careful swimming out there,” Ritsuko called to the young women as she opened up a tube of suntan lotion.

“Yeah...,” Misato started only to squeal in shock as Ritsuko spread some lotion on, “Rits, that’s cold!”

“You’re so cute when you make that noise,” Ritsuko laughed.

“When does she make that noise?” Rei asked curiously.

Shinji sighed, “Trust me, you do not want to know.”

Asuka looked over at her in surprise as she asked, “And how come you’re so familiar with her noises?”

“Got home early one day,” Shinji replied as they spread out their own towels, “and it looks like they got frisky.”

Asuka shuddered, “There’s a mental image I did not want.”

Rei sat on the sand, staring out at the water with a contemplative look, her skin already reddening a bit. “You’re going to burn,” Shinji frowned as she grabbed another container of suntan lotion, “here, let me help you.”

“Thank you,” Rei actually smiled a bit as Shinji helped her cover her bare skin with the lotion. She looked at her curiously, “Should I make funny noises like Misato?”

“No, I don’t think that’s needed,” Shinji laughed.

To be continued....

Notes: Yes, Asuka makes VERY short work of the Angel, but that was intentional. It’s interesting in the Evangelion series Asuka is SUPPOSED to be a incredible pilot, but she rarely if ever shows that kind of skill. Therefore, I figured I’d work that in here.