Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Neon Genesis Evangelion: Wings of the Seraphim ❯ 00-Birth of the Rage ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Neon Genesis Evangelion: Wings of the Seraphim

by Alexei Seranov

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Disclaimer: I do not own Neon Genesis Evangelion. Don't sue, I'm a poor Jew.

"Blahblah" is Dialogue.

'Blahblah' is Thought.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

CHAPTER 0:

Birth of the Rage

"Idiot! You don't even know who the pilot is, do you? Are you some kind of moron? The pilot is..." The static cut through the comm. link, leaving the receiver, one Ikari Shinji, unaware of whom his enemy was. The first line of defense, Unit 02, was breached.

"ASUKA! Asuka, respond! Damnit Asuka!" With sweat dripping from his brow, and his hands clenching around the butterfly controls in the cockpit of Evangelion Unit 01, Shinji yelled to his roommate and fellow pilot.

"Ikari-kun, do not worry. Pilot Sohryu is fine. The pilot of Unit 03 is..." Again, the silent roar of static signified the defeat of an Evangelion unit. Unit 00 was down.

"AYANAMI!" With another unfinished statement, the young Ikari was left without answers.

The thundering footsteps of the Eva-turned-Angel were the only warning Eva 01 received before the Thirteenth Angels' arms extended a good fifty feet, and Shinji was being grabbed in a chokehold. The berserk Evangelion holding Shinji's in a death grip had a menacing grin upon its hideous visage, and a hatred burning in its two demonic, blazing white eyes. "Pilot Ikari. You will destroy the Angel."

"No, Father! There's someone in it! I can't kill anyone!" Grasping at his neck and glancing around with frightened speed, the Third Child responds, "There's got to be another way!" Giving the demon a short look, Shinji is met with a view of the evil behemoth's hateful mask.

"Irrelevant. You will defeat the Angel. It is your enemy." The ice-cold voice of Shinji's father, Supreme Commander of NERV Gendo Ikari, came across the channel once again, attempting to order him to take the life of whoever was stuck inside the mechanical monstrosity that was classified Evangelion Unit 03 and the Thirteenth Angel.

"NO! I won't kill someone for you, Father!" An odd resolve glistened in the eyes of Shinji Ikari, a resolve that only came through only when the Third Child was determined to stand his ground, which was seldom. And shine it did, brightly at that, despite the feedback telling Shinji's body that he was being forcefully deprived of oxygen. It was the kind of look that fathers wished for in their son's eyes... but not Gendo Ikari.

"Cut synchronization circuits. Activate the Dummy Plug." Shinji could barely hear the argument on the other side of the comm., except for the barb his father threw at him before the feeling of being strangled was suddenly gone. "...Anything is better than the current pilot..." But with the disappearance of the pain came the lack of control. Shinji was left to watch helplessly as his Evangelion once again was revived. It moved with a mind of its own, its arms coming up to grab Unit 03 in the same grip it was held in. Unit 01 began to apply pressure, and soon overpowered the black biomech.

"NO! STOP THIS FATHER!" The sound that signaled the snapping of the Angel's neck rung loud in the poor Child's ears. "NOOOO!!! MAKE IT STOP! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, MAKE IT STOP!" But the Third Child's cries went unheeded. Unit 03 fell limp in the hands of Unit 01. But the Purple-People-Eater did not stop there. It began to viciously beat the fallen Angel against the sides of the hill they stood on. As furrows were dug in the ground with the body of the Angel, Shinji Ikari sat in his cockpit, screaming and tugging at the butterfly controls, yelling for his monster to desist. "STOP! STOP! STOP! STOP! PLEASE STOP! STOP! STOP!!! STOP!!!!!"

And then the right arm was ripped off. 'I can't stop it.'

Then the left leg. 'It won't listen to me.'

Then the face plate. 'They're going to die.'

Then both chest plates. 'It's my fault.'

Then the hand of Evangelion Unit 01 was driven straight through the chest of Evangelion Unit 03. 'IT'S ALL MY FAULT!!!'

Blood splattered everywhere. Through his screams, Shinji could faintly hear the sounds of someone in Central Dogma being physically sick. Through his fear and anger, everything happening outside was shown to him painfully slowly, in gory detail. As one hand fished around in the corpse of Unit 03, the other began to once again tear off limbs and armor. As the other arm was ripped away, a building was given a new paint job in crimson.

And then, when there was little else to tear apart, the hand of Unit 01 was raised, holding a slightly bent white cylinder. The entry plug of Unit 03, holding the unfortunate pilot, cradled in the hand of a bastard-demon with a bloodlust. And the hand began to close... "NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

But the hand never fully closed around the frail tube. It stopped mere nanoseconds before crushing the plug, and its precious cargo. Shinji had resynchronized with the Eva, and it now followed only his command, as it had before. "Classify the Thirteenth Angel as deceased. Send emergency crews for the pilots of Units 00, 02 and 03." And again, as the frozen voice of Commander Ikari wafted over the comm. link, the Third Child set the entry plug down. From the Geofront, Shinji could see ambulances driving towards him and the other two remaining Evangelions. As the minutes passed, Shinji began to calm, glad that he hadn't crushed the entry plug. However, a gnawing guilt ate at him.

'I may have been too late. The pilot may already be dead!' When the ambulances finally arrived, which seemed far too slow to the Third Child, and the paramedics all but jumped out at the plug, Shinji began to hold his breath. 'Please, let them be okay… Please let them be okay… Please, God! Let them be okay!' When Shinji saw a glimpse of blue, assuming it was the pilot's plugsuit, a slight relief overcame him, only to be replaced by an odd feeling in the depths of his stomach. Using his Eva's built-in magnification, he took his first look at the pilot. At first glance, it was hard to tell. But as the sharpness of the picture was adjusted, Shinji began to feel the knot in his stomach tighten. When it finally became clear, the pained pilot on the screen struck a cord in Shinji Ikari's mind. 'Touji?' "TOUJI!!!" As the pilot of Evangelion Unit 01 screamed, the medics below noticed a flash from above. Looking up, they saw the eyes of Unit 01 flash a brilliant white. 'How could I let this happen? How could I let HIM take control? I can't let him anymore… I WON'T let him anymore! He's abandoned me. He's almost had Asuka and Ayanami killed! But most of all, HE ALMOST KILLED TOUJI!!! I won't let that bastard win anymore!'

And the jaw of the Giant-Purple-People-Eater unhinged. It was now a Berserker. The ear-splitting roar of the unstoppable Evangelion was followed by a similarly angry one from its pilot. "FATHER! YOU'LL PAY!!!"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As the giant biomechanical revenant began the short trek to the Geofront, one thing was certain. There would be Hell to pay. And Gendo Ikari would pay in full. "Increase the pressure of the LCL to maximum." The man, who was the target of the anger of a multiple kiloton war machine, sat in the Geofront, in Central Dogma, sure of the fact that he was safe from the adolescent and his rage.

"SIR! Unit 01 is ignoring the request!" The primary bridge tech, Maya Ibuki, yelled to the one who sat on the tallest dais of the command center.

"It is not a request. If it will not work, force-eject the entry plug." An angry look overcame the Commander's face, causing all near him to either cower or work twice as fast. Alarms began to ring in Central Dogma.

"SIR! It's still not working! Eva Unit 01 is headed right for the Geofront!" With a look of panic in her eyes, Lt. Ibuki attempted eye-contact with the most powerful man in the world. What she found behind the rose-colored glasses he wore would haunt her for the rest of her days. She found boiling anger and blazing disappointment. "What should we do?"

"Eject the Umbilical Cable. Prepare to defend against Unit 01." Gendo Ikari settled in to his normal pose, hands bridged in front of his face. "If all else fails, we will destroy the Geofront."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Above ground, Evangelion Unit 01 and its infuriated pilot came to a stop a mere stone's throw away from the main pyramid of the Geofront. With another roar and a mighty heave, the Evangelion slammed its arm straight through the first layer of armor. No simple metal plating would stop Shinji Ikari from earning the vengeance he was owed. His father had proven to be the most evil of men, sending his son to fight a classmate and friend. Death would be too good for the bastard. Through the mind of the Third Child flowed thoughts like this. 'I'll break every bone in his body! I'll show him what happens when I get pushed to far! He can hurt me, he can abandon me, and he can have me burned alive for all I care! But when he hurts the people I care about, that's when he needs to SUFFER!'

"Ikari-kun, stop." The soft voice of the First Child cut through any and all hate-filled thoughts the Third may have been having. His Evangelion stopped its rampage and stood up, as if called to attention. Finally, it sat down and the power cut off. As the spark of life left the giant eyes of the beast, the boy inside began to plot ways to cause physical and emotional pain to his so-called father. "Ikari-kun, you will be in great trouble. I suggest you turn yourself in."

"The easy way, ne Rei? I doubt it! There won't be an easy way! That bastard almost had me kill Touji! You and Asuka almost died! I'm not letting him get away with it this time!" Over the comm., Shinji believed he heard people being pushed out of the way.

"Idiot! This is SO not the time to get a spine! You're gonna kill us all!" The shrill voice of the Second Child berated Shinji like it had so many times before, but there seemed a hint of worry behind it. "Besides! That moronic stooge is fine! He's just a little beat up! Calm it with the Vengeance shit! Hmmph!"

"He's okay? Touji's okay? Where is he? I wanna talk to him!" The desperately excited voice that came from the purple and neon bio-weapon reeked with enthusiasm. Again, another person came to the radio, though it sounded like they were rolled there to Shinji.

"God Ikari. You sure did a number on me. I know I owe ya', but come on! Jeez, I'll be feelin' this shit for a month!" The pained, yet decidedly jovial voice of Touji Suzahara floated over the channel, ensuring the Third that his friend was indeed very much alive. "Now come on outta there before they start tryin' to nuke ya' ass…" When the back of the over-sized mecha opened, and a white cylinder spun out of the back, everyone let out a breath they had been holding. Now safe from the threat of one of their own, activity began once again, returning the pilots and important officers to their normal positions or the infirmary.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Anger clearly showed on the face of the Supreme Commander of NERV. This was most definitely not according to the scenario. "Fuyutski, have the Third Child brought to me. He is facing some serious crimes. I… dislike… insubordination and illegal use of NERV property…"

"Yes, sir." As Kozo Fuyutski left the gargantuan office, a small smile on his face, he could have sworn he heard the sound of a large object being thrown against a wall. 'Interesting… not expecting this, were you Ikari? That boy of yours is far more powerful than you can possibly imagine. He's possibly more powerful than any of us can imagine…'

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

AUTHOR'S NOTES, VER.2.0:

Due to some recent criticism from EvilFics.org… I mean EvaFics.org… I have decided to fix some parts of this work. I will use far less Japanese now, sticking only to nominative suffixes (-kun, -chan, etc.) and the occasional use of "ne," which I happen to use IRL. Also, I am changing Touji's accent to being far less hick-like and more of the way he is shown in the dubbed version of NGE. I hope you enjoy the changes.

Alexei Seranov - May 24, 2003

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

Well, here it is: The prologue of my new story. I hope you enjoy this story, as I have put quite a bit of effort into its creation. As of now, Wings of the Seraphim will be my main story. Due to some reviews of HYRM, which asked for side stories to that, I will probably do some between chapters of this. But in the meantime, anyone who wishes to is welcome to run story ideas by me. Also, if you wish to write side stories to any of my stories, I would be more than glad to look at them… Just make sure to get permission to write it from me.

Expect Chapter One of NGE: WotS sometime soon. Ja matane.

Alexei Seranov

P.S.: Big thanks to my prereaders: ChiRho and TekkaDark.