Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Nephilim ❯ A Choice is Given ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
DISCLAIMER: I don't own Evangelion. The only thing I own is the character 'Nephilim'. And you already know how these go, so let's just get to the fic, huh?

NEPHILIM

Chapter 1: A Choice is Given

-----

'This is what humanity has done to themselves. This was their answer to it all.'

A lone ethereal figure dressed in robes and a medium-size set of wings stood atop a pile of rubble, musing these thoughts.

'And in their attempt to become one with God, they had only doomed themselves.'

The entity then cast its saddened gaze over to two still bodies on the beach. 'With two exceptions.'

There was still time to help undo what the overzealous had done...

-----

Sitting up and looking out over the blood-red tide, Shinji Ikari felt (for lack of a better word) like Hell. All he had seen during Third Impact was slowly being digested by his already-fragile mind. He had stopped it. But there was the question of 'Was it the right thing to do?' hanging over him. The giant Rei looming on the horizon kept telling him other than 'the right thing'.

And then there was her being there.

After all that had happened, he felt as though all he could do was hurt Asuka. Even after the first waking in this world, he had tried to kill her. He still wasn't sure what had made him attempt that. Most likely what he had experience during Third Impact, her rejection of him and the anger towards her had overtaken his senses for the moment.

But he couldn't bring himself to end her life. So she would be stuck in this Hell with him.

And so he sat there, wondering why it had all came out like this. But his thoughts were cut short by an echoing, haunting voice.

"I share your sentiments. I do not like how this has turned out, either."

The boy spun around, revealing the ethereal being that had been watching him for some time.

"Wh-what are you?", he said, noticeably scared.

"Calm yourself, lad. I am messenger of sorts," the being said. "An angel, for lack of a better human term."

Shinji's eyes widened at the sound of the word 'angel'.

The figure then spoke again, "No, not like those false ones you have been made to fight. True angels under God's leadership. You may address me as Nephilim."

A silence fell between the two for a minute before being broken again. "So why are you here then?", Shinji said.

Nephilim then sat himself on a nearby stone, likely building debris.

"I am here to present you, Shinji Ikari, with another chance."

"Chance?", the boy asked.

"Yes. At the start of this millennium, I was tasked with watching over this planet of yours by the powers-that-be. And I have watched what has happened to humanity after the Second Impact. I have felt great sorrow for you, more than any other human."

Shinji gave Nephilim a confused look, "Me?"

"Yes. You have carried a great burden of loneliness on your shoulders since the end of your mother, have you not?"

Shinji's expression saddened at the mention of his mother, "Yeah, I now know what had happened to her back then."

Nephilim then added, "I am sorry, I should not have mentioned it. It is still painful for you, is it not?" Shinji nodded. "Well, since then I kept watch over the events of this city. Project E, the other fifteen Angels' arrivals, the true purpose of NERV. And I have felt angered at the ones who would give children such sadness just so they can become one step closer to being one with God. But that is another matter..."

Nephilim then stood up and approached Shinji.

"I will make this short: I have taken leave of the heavens so that I may give you the chance to make amends of what has happened here."

The boy then thought this over for a couple of minutes, "You mean, you can reverse what has happened?"

The angel shook his head, "No, that will be up to you. I can only give you passage back to the start of these dark times. I am not given enough authority to fix these things myself."

Shinji just looked at the ground, "But I'm only capable of hurting others..."

"Only if you choose to do nothing. You can make all the difference in the world if you choose to do the right thing. I know you think all you can do is bring pain and sadness. That is all just in your mind, young one. Believe me."

Shinji kept looking at the ground in silence. Nephilim continued.

"Think about it: do you want to see the ones who care about you again? Do you want to take back the regrets and what-ifs? Do you wish to start over?"

Shinji was silent for a while and then looked over at the silent, slumbering body of Asuka Langley Sohryu. "What about her?"

"No, this has to be you. I can only do this for you, because you are the only one who knows enough of the truth to fix the past. But I do know how you feel toward this girl..."

Shinji looked up at the angel, who just made a small smile. "I can read people's emotions. You care a great deal for this one, do you not?" Shinji sat uncomfortably for a bit before nodding. He then spoke to the being, "Are you going to go back with me if I do go?"

Nephilim nodded, "Yes, but I cannot directly intervene in what happens then. I can only be a guide."

Shinji fell silent for some time. Nephilim then said, "I know this will take time to decide. I shall wait." He then went back over to the stone he sat on before, awaiting a decision.

Silence fell between them for over about two hours before Shinji spoke in a tiny voice, "Yes, I want to go..."

Nephilim then walked over to the young man, "I hope you know what you are choosing." Shinji stood up and nodded. "Then stay close."

The angel closed his eyes and a soft glow came between the two. The brightness made Shinji close his eyes as well. And there was a feeling of being lifted. Then everything went white...

-----

When the light dissipated, Shinji found himself lying in a bed in the NERV infirmary.

"W--what happened...?", he said, very confused.

"You have returned."

Shinji turned quickly to see Nephilim, standing by the window. "When is this, then? How far back am I?," he asked.

"You are back to when you were recuperating from the incident with the 12th."

"I see..." Shinji then thinks for a minute. "How are you going to get around? I mean, someone's bound to notice..."

Nephilim then interrupts him, "Do not worry. Since I was charged with helping you, you are the only one who is aware of my presence."

Shinji lays back on the bed. "I need some time to get used to this again...," he states tiredly.

Nephilim nods, "Of course. I shall take my leave for now." He then fades away in a soft glow.

Shinji then stops to think for a second, 'I'm not sure about all this...but I need to try and fix things before they fall apart again.'

He then drifted off into a restless slumber, still remembering the things he saw during Third Impact.

-----

Somewhere from the top of a low building, the angelic figure of Nephilim watched the boy sleep. 'I pray for you, lad. And the rest of this city, as well...'

-----To be continued...-----

A/N: Well, that's first chapter down. I know the idea's not exactly original, I'm well aware of that. But I'll try not to make it too cliche-ridden...

Pre-read was done by FinalMax for this chapter.

And on a last note, this has been updated as of 5/19/2004. Finally got a spellchecker and did a few touch-ups here and there.

All comments are appreciated; good criticism is appreciated, flames will be overlooked

-AngelNo13Bardiel