Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Nephilim ❯ Castles Made of Sand ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
See Chapter 1 for disclaimer, 2 for speech/thoughts things.

NEPHILIM

Chapter 7: Castles Made of Sand

-----

Inside of the Katsuragi/Ikari/Sohryu residence, all was quiet. On the couch, the two still forms of Shinji Ikari and Asuka Langley Sohryu slept.

Several minutes later, Asuka slowly lifted her head from its spot and rubbed her tired eyes, looking over at the sleeping boy next to her. A few hours earlier, he had finished recounting to her the things that had happened to him 'last time', as he had put it. Her breakdown, Rei's death and origins, Kaworu, Third Impact, Nephilim and Azrael, the secret dealings of SEELE and NERV…all of it.

Asuka got to her feet, trying not to disturb Shinji as best as she could. Yawning and stretching a bit, she walked out onto the apartment's balcony. She took in a breath of the still night's air and looked out over the slumbering city before her.

'And I thought I'd been through a lot,' she thought. 'He'd seen the end of the world firsthand…and more than anyone's share of friend's deaths.' She looked back at the couch, watching Shinji turn and frown in his sleep. 'And what he said about me before…' Asuka shut her eyes as she remembered his retelling of her demise at the hands of the EVA series…

-----About three hours ago…-----

"And then there's the EVA series…" Shinji said.

Asuka had been listening to him talk for over an hour. A lot of the things had seemed rather unbelievable. 'But what reason would he have to lie to me?' she thought. "The EVA series?" she asked.

Shinji looked at the ground, nodding. "Yeah, Units-05 through 13. SEELE had them built to be used in Third Impact. And as an invasion force…" he said sadly.

"What happened?" she questioned.

"I…I wasn't there to help," Shinji said, beginning to cry. "I was too busy being sorry for myself at the time. And I still haven't quite forgiven myself for that."

"I took them on…alone?" Asuka asked.

Nodding, Shinji continued. "I only heard it through the speakers, but when I did finally make it out there…" he stopped, feeling his throat become dry.

"What? What happened that was so bad?" she asked, becoming frightened.

"They…tore Unit-02 apart," Shinji said. "Ate it like cannibals."

The silence that fell over them hung in the air for several seconds. "Were they that powerful?" Asuka finally asked.

Shaking his head, Shinji spoke, "No, I saw what happened then during Instrumentality."

"Did…did I do well?" she questioned.

Smiling and wiping his eyes, Shinji answered. "You fought like a winner. More graceful and efficient than I've ever seen," he explained. "But even after you took eight of them down, the last one managed to surprise you and…then…" he finished, almost ready to break down after remembering in great detail the events after that.

Asuka couldn't come up with anything to comfort him after hearing of what had been her fate. Reaching out and placing an unsteady hand on his shoulder, she spoke softly to him. "But…if what you're saying it all true, then…you saved me from that just by coming back, right?" she asked.

Shinji said nothing, continuing to cry and look at the ground.

'God, does he really care that much?' Asuka asked herself. "Shinji," she started, "if it means anything…I believe you. And thank you for telling me."

Tired and emotionally drained, Shinji hugged Asuka, holding her close. "Thank you for saying that," he said, wiping away the last few tears and closing his eyes. Smiling, Asuka closed her own eyes and drifted off to sleep…

-----End of flashback-----

'But he's really intent on fighting them to the end and stopping it all from happening,' Asuka thought. She shivered slightly in the night air and walked back into the apartment, heading towards the couch she'd been sleeping on. When Shinji had finished his story, the both of them held each other for fear of what would be happening in time. And just like that, they'd fallen asleep. 'Must have been a drain on both of us,' Asuka thought, slowly lowering herself on the unoccupied end of the couch. Shinji stirred a bit and picked himself up, rubbing the back of his head.

"Morning," Asuka said, trying to sound as cheerful as possible.

Shinji rubbed the sleep from his eyes and looked over at the redhead. "Hi Asuka," he answered groggily. "What time is it?"

Asuka looked at her watch. "Three forty-seven in the morning," she answered. "Did I wake you?"

Shinji shook his head. "No, just couldn't sleep any longer," he said, pulling himself into a sitting position. "Been up long?" he asked.

Asuka looked to the floor, "Few minutes ago. Just needed to clear my head."

Shinji edged himself over to her, placing an arm around her shoulders. "Look, I'm sorry about what I told you. I…I just felt that you should know these things," he explained. "He told me so…"

"You mean Kaworu?" Asuka asked, looking him in the face.

Shinji nodded. "He said it would be for the best if I did. I'm sorry if it worried you," he said, laying his head on her shoulder.

"Oh, stop already with the 'I'm sorry'. It's alright," Asuka said, taking hold of his hand. "I-I just didn't know…"

"How would you have?" Shinji asked, smiling at her concern.

"So…" Asuka started, stretching the word out, "what now? What's next?"

"The invasion," Shinji answered, his tone quiet and somber. "He said they were finished with the EVA series ahead of schedule and they know about the last Angel. There's nothing left to keep SEELE from sending the JSSDF and starting Third Impact."

Asuka stood up and started pacing about the room. "But what do we do?" she questioned. "I mean, what can we do to prevent it?"

Shinji watched the ground in deep thought for several long minutes in still silence before looking up at Asuka. "We're going to survive, first things. Secondly, we have to destroy the EVA series. Without them, they can't start Third Impact. Third…I don't know what we can do about the Commander's plans for beginning it." Shinji took a deep breath, leaning his head back. "Maybe Rei won't go along with it," he mused.

"Yeah, she's the key to that bastard's plan, right?" Asuka said, feeling hopeful. Shinji nodded. "Then let's just hope she makes the right choice." Returning to her pacing, she remembered the people of the city, particularly her and Shinji's friends. "What about the people? If they're sending an army, it could mean a massacre…"

Shinji shook his head. "I know, but don't worry Hikari and the others," he said, getting to his feet and heading towards Asuka., "I've been thinking about that…and I think we can get them to leave the city for a while. Maybe convince some others to do the same." Shinji sighed and turned around, "But that'll probably still leave a lot of people in danger…can't warn everyone."

"But if we can stop this, we can save the entire world," Asuka said.

"I know," Shinji said, "I just hate knowing that there will be innocent casualties in this…"

Asuka placed her hands on his shoulders. "Look, you said we have to survive, right?" Shinji nodded. "Then we can't go and worry about everyone. I know that might sound cruel, but we have to do what we can to ensure that others will make it, even if they aren't in this city."

Shinji nodded, "You're right." He then walked over towards the front door and opened it. "Come on, we've got to go and warn some people."

Asuka walked out ahead of him through the now-opened door. "I just hope they won't be pissed at us for waking them at this hour of the morning," she joked, trying to lighten the mood.

Shinji smiled and laughed a little, closing the door behind them…

-----

Rei Ayanami awoke on her bed from a fitful sleep. Going over Shinji's words since they'd last talked, she sat up and pulled her knees up to her chin.

'It will be drawing to a close soon…I can feel it,' Rei thought. 'And I do not intend for it to be a permanent end.'

Thoughts and images flowed through her mind, one of them being the form of Lilith in Terminal Dogma. 'And she will not be needed,' Rei thought.

Since she'd had last talked to Shinji, Rei had started forming a plan of her own. Getting up, she walked to her closet and removed a school uniform, intent on going about her daily routine…and then setting this plan of hers into motion…

-----

High above the skies of the Atlantic Ocean, Azrael floated somewhat in front of the now-fully operational EVA series, feeling as though all was falling into place. 'Hm, it is time to begin this,' he thought, grinning maliciously.

'Recall the troops,' Azrael thought, making an attempt to reach the members of SEELE.

'What do you mean?,' Keel Lorenz replied. 'What of the invasion forces?'

'They will not be needed. The EVA series will suffice,' Azrael thought. 'Do not worry, Chairman Keel. I have things well under control. I will also take care of the Children, as well.'

'Very well then,' Keel thought. Picking up his phone he spoke into the other line, "Cancel the invasion order." A reply came from the other side, after which he returned the device to its holder. 'Are you close to the city?' he asked Azrael.

'No, it will be some time before I will reach the target,' Azrael answered. 'Begin the attack on the MAGI to give me some cover. Make certain it fries their external defenses.'

'Alright, we shall order to begin. Continue on with your operation,' Keel said.

"Heh, the old fools really think I am completely loyal to them," Azrael said. "Let us begin then, shall we?" he said, turning to look at the nine EVAs, who split off from one another and headed in several different directions…

-----

Two hours later, a pair of already-tired teens walked through the silent streets of Tokyo-3.

Shinji and Asuka had first gone to talk with Hikari, deciding that it would be best to stick together in case there were agents of SEELE already hunting for them. After the class rep had woken up sufficiently, they explained why she and her family would be needing to leave. The false story about NERV discreetly warning the citizens to leave in preparation of the final Angel worked about like they'd expected.

After leaving her home, they walked over to Toji's place. After a somewhat grumpy and angry welcoming, he managed to get in touch with Kensuke, who practically needed to be threatened to leave town. Apparently, the bespectacled boy had wanted to stick around to watch the 'fun', but a stern tongue-lashing from Asuka made his mind up for him.

All three of them had told the two pilots that they'd explain it to their families and anyone they could get ahold of, so at least there would be fewer innocents in the line of fire.

Having left Toji's and now walking along the streets, Asuka looked over at Shinji, walking closely and having a look of determination on his face. "So what's next?" she asked.

"Next…" Shinji started, "we go to headquarters and wait out until the dam breaks, in a manner of speaking."

"And that's it?" she asked, feeling worried.

"That's all we can really do now, until the enemy gets here," he explained.

Asuka nodded as both continued their trip to the Geofront and NERV headquarters…

-----

Deep inside of Central Dogma, Misato Katsuragi sat cramped in between a set of computer banks. She had left a note at the apartment saying she had to work. In truth, she'd spent the last two days working in this spot, trying to finish Kaji's work of uncovering NERV's secrets. Using the chip she'd found inside of the capsule, she had managed to get past the MAGI's security systems and deep into the myriad of files inside of the supercomputers.

Since she had began almost a week-and-a-half ago, she had finally managed to hit pay dirt in her search. Reading through the files on a laptop, she shivered slightly from the room's cold temperature, silently wishing for the umpteenth time that the room had more heat to it.

"So…that's what really happened during Second Impact," Misato said, narrowing her eyes. Before she could continue, the connection to the MAGI was cut and a small noise emanated from the machine, its screen showing red emergency alerts.

"They're on to me!" she shouted, getting to her feet quickly and picking up her gun from nearby, knocking over an empty coffee can. "No something else," she said, noticing that it wasn't the MAGI's security systems that cut her off.

"Showtime," she said as the lighting around her went black…

-----

Inside a secret room, a meeting between SEELE and Commander Ikari was taking place.

"What is the meaning of this?" Commander Ikari asked. "We have done nothing to warrant an attack on the MAGI."

"Ah, but that is untrue, Ikari," SEELE-01 stated. "We have information that you intend to stray from this committee's plans and begin Instrumentality differently. That will not be tolerated."

Smirking behind his gloved hands, the Commander spoke up. "Are you so sure of this?"

"Believe us, we have a very reliable source that has told us of your…intentions," SEELE-07 said.

'But how would anyone know?' the Commander thought, not feeling in complete control of his scenario. "And what of the last Angel? Surely you can see that such actions of yours will be detrimental to your plans," he said.

"The final Angel has already been dealt with, thanks to our source," SEELE-01 said. "It looks like the time has come to begin Instrumentality, which means it is time to give us EVA Unit-01."

"That was not SEELE's original plan," Commander Ikari stated flatly.

"With your incompetent loss of the Lance of Longinus, we can no longer use Lilith to complete the ceremony," SEELE-04 said. "Therefore, we shall need Lilith's only true offspring, EVA Unit-01."

"Yes, it is time that we begin the process of merging all souls into one and become one with God," SEELE-06 said.

"The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth," SEELE-07 said. "Through the sacrament, God and humanity shall be reborn as one."

"Death creates nothing," Commander Ikari said coldly.

"Then we shall give you death," SEELE-01 said before the twelve monoliths disappeared.

"Does this mean information leaks?" Sub-Commander Fuyutski asked.

"No, something we did not take into account," Commander Ikari said, pushing the glasses up on his face. "But no matter, I guess it is time we play our hand first. Find Rei and order her to go to Terminal Dogma." After that, he stood and left the room, heading for the location he was sure she would be at.

'Hmm, I think you're underestimating them, Gendo,' Fuyutski thought, leaving the room himself…

-----

Manwhile, Rei had made her way into Central Dogma and into the office of Ritsuko Akagi. The doctor had left in such a hurry that she had forgotten the remote for the dummy plug room.

Rei walked up to the desk and slowly took the device from its place and pocketed it. 'And now, the step two,' she thought, walking out of the room and towards her next destination…the dummy plug core at the bottom of Central Dogma…

-----

The scene on the command center was complete chaos as the techs tried to halt the advance of the hackers. Ritsuko was currently holed up inside of the MAGI, attempting to strengthen its defenses with the type-666 firewall.

Out on the bridge, Misato had finally managed to get there from her hidden location. "Status report," she ordered.

"Hackers are attempting to override the MAGI's program systems. It's a complete mess," Makoto reported. "But Dr. Akagi's currently installing some powerful hidden firewall, which should buy us some time."

"I see," Misato said. "Can you tell where the attack is coming from?"

"Yeah, the other MAGI computers all over the world," Makoto said.

'All of them? I guess that's to be expected…' she thought, turning to the command deck, where Fuyutski was standing. "Where's the Commander?" she asked.

"Away. I'm in change for now," the Sub-Commander said.

"Figures, always away," Misato said, turning her attention back to the main screen. 'Does this mean the committee's making its move?' she thought.

-----

Meanwhile, the members of SEELE were gathered in their meeting room, reading themselves for the coming ceremony.

"Ah, and so it finally comes to be time," SEELE-03 said. "Quicker than we had anticipated, but still inevitable."

"Yes, it does seem rather soon, but out little helper has been mo-" SEELE-09's interruption was cut and its monolith disappeared from the room. Around the room, SEELE-04, 06, and 11 also disappeared.

"What is going on here?" SEELE-01 asked.

'Is it not obvious, Chairman Keel?' Azrael's voice sounded in the remaining member's heads.

SEELE-01's monolith disappeared, revealing Keel Lorenz, who looked very upset. "Azrael, what is the meaning of this?" he asked.

'Your plans for Instrumentality are quite ridiculous, I can tell you that much,' Azrael said as SEELE-02, 05, and 08 vanished. 'I must thank you that you are not very difficult to find, and that you are gathered somewhat closely.'

"What do you mean?" Keel asked, enraged.

'I never intended to serve this committee's plans. I just needed you to finish the EVA series and give them to me,' the angel explained. 'I must say, you performed your task quite well.'

"You…you…" Keel seethed as SEELE-12 left the room.

Azrael's almost hysterical laugher filled the room. 'And as you can see, I have no use for you any longer,' he explained as SEELE-03, 07, and 10 disappeared.

"What are you planning?" Keel asked, having resigned himself from trying to get away.

'Why bother telling you? You won't be around to see it,' Azrael said in a mocking tone.

Keel sighed and looked up, already hearing the approaching machine that would be destroying him. "It was more of a mistake to trust you than it was to trust Ikari," he said. "At least he will still get his."

'All too true, Lilim,' Azrael said, ordering the form of Unit-08 to bring its feet right down on the last SEELE member. As the EVA flew back up into the clouds, it and the others headed back towards their 'master', who was hovering a high distance above the ocean, several miles from Japan's shoreline…

-----

Meanwhile, Shinji and Asuka had made it to the pilots' changing rooms. Along the way, they heard about the attack on the MAGI. Shinji knew at once that it would mean the invasion wasn't far behind. Pulling down the sheet in the middle of the room, Asuka began to change into her plugsuit as Shinji did the same. After a few minutes, Asuka pulled the sheet back up and walked over towards him. "You okay?" she asked.

"Yeah, just nervous as hell," Shinji said, looking at his gloved and shaking hands.

"Umm…same here," Asuka said. Noticing his surprised look, she quickly assumed her regular attitude. "Oh, come on, anyone would be scared in this position, even the great Asuka Langley Sohryu," she stated proudly.

Shinji smiled at her showing of bravado. "Sure thing, Asuka," he said. "Then why haven't pressurized your suit yet?" he asked, pointing at her.

"Huh?" Asuka said, looking down at the baggy plugsuit she was wearing. Beginning to turn nearly as red as the suit itself, she depressed the wrist switch. "Alright…I'm a bit scared. I'm just not sure if we'll make it. You said before that they took me down."

"But I also said that you gave them the fight of your life before they did," Shinji said, hoping to reassure her. "But I won't let them hurt you this time, I promise. I will be there for you."

Asuka smiled, "Heh, the knight in shining armor himself." She then kissed him fully on the lips. "Just say it's for luck. Now c'mon," she said, definitely in a hurry to get to the EVA cages.

Bringing his fingers down from his lips, Shinji took a few deep breaths before following after her…

-----

Down inside of the dummy plug core, Rei stood looking around the room at the various copies of her floating around in the giant LCL tank.

"I am sorry that I must do this, but it is necessary that it be so," Rei said softly. "To be my own person…and to prevent you from being used in the wrong way."

Reaching into her pocket, she removed the remote she'd been carrying and accessed the controls for the LCL tank. Before executing the command she looked back up through tears at the soulless faces looking back at her. "Goodbye," she said softly, pressing the last button.

The LCL in the tank turned red as the clones within began to break apart and disintegrate. Rei watched on with a few tears as her 'sisters' became nothing…

-----

Back on the bridge, the attack on the MAGI had been halted with some great effort.

"Operating system status?" Misato asked.

"The type-666 firewall is up and operational," Ritsuko said, pulling herself out of the crawlspace near Caspar. "All outside contact will be cut for quite some time. But…"

"But what?" the major asked, not liking the sound of this.

Getting to her feet, Ritsuko continued. "…the external defenses are fried. Artillery is completely shut down."

Misato slumped down into a nearby chair, "Great…what's next?" she asked tiredly. As soon as she said the words, the emergency alarms blared loudly around the command deck. "Shit, I shouldn't have opened my mouth," she cursed. "What is it now?"

"Proximity sensors around Tokyo-3's shore spotted something entering the airspace over the ocean," Shigeru said. "Putting it on-screen now…" Punching the last few keystrokes, the entire bridge was given a view of their latest threat…EVA Units-05 through 13, floating slowly but steadily towards NERV headquarters.

"Are those…EVAs?" Maya asked, reeling from the sight.

"Dammit, they completed the EVA series ahead of schedule," Fuyutski said from above. "But why would they be here, unless…do they plan to start it here?"

"Status of the Children," Misato ordered.

"Unable to locate First Child. Last seen inside of headquarters over an hour ago," Shigeru said.

"What about Shinji or Asuka? They should still be back at the apartment," Misato thought aloud.

"Umm…about that," Makoto spoke up. "Maybe you should see this," he said, bringing up the camera system on the main screen, showing the Second and Third Children heading toward the EVA cages.

"What th-," Misato got out, definitely seeing more than a coincidence.

"Dunno, both of them reported into headquarters a little over thirty minutes ago," Makoto said.

"Well, prep Unit-01 and 02 for launch then. We'll get the rest sorted out later," Misato said, watching the advance of the nine white EVAs on-screen…

-----

Stepping inside of the cages, both children headed towards their respective machines, which already had the entry plugs out and awaiting them. After the normal start-up routines, Misato's face appeared on their video links.

"Okay, now this is too much of a coincidence," she said. "What were you both do-"

"Sorry Misato," Shinji interrupted. "Can't explain now, will later. Right now, I think there are more pressing matters."

"Yes we do," she said firmly. "Launch them," she ordered.

As they sped up towards the surface of the city, both Shinji and Asuka said a silent prayer. Arriving on the outside, they caught a sight of the nine white giants almost at the shore.

"As you can see, those are your targets," Misato said. "The EVA series, Units-05 through 13."

"We have to take them all down?" Asuka asked.

"Yes, we don't have much information on them," Misato said. "Sorry I can't be more of a help…"

Shinji interrupted again, "It's fine, Misato. I think we have a good idea what to do."

"I hope you do," Misato said worriedly. "Both of you just better make it back, go it?" she said with a smile.

Smiling back, Asuka replied, "Sure thing, Major." Closing their video links to the bridge, Asuka opened a audio link to Unit-01. "So how do we do this?" she asked, opening a nearby armory building and removing a prog axe and two rifles.

Before Shinji could reply, Kaworu's voice interrupted his thoughts. 'Shinji, I have some things to inform…'

'Kaworu? Where are you?' he asked.

'Above you, very high above,' came the calm answer. 'I can feel Azrael's presence, and I need to stop him for good this time. Before I do that, I must give you a final cautioning on the enemy…'

'What is it?' Shinji asked.

'Because of the lack of a dummy plug in these, you will need to destroy their cores. These also double as experimental S2 engines, so you must make sure to destroy those,' Kaworu explained. 'As for the other thing…their weapons are copies of the true Lance of Longinus. If they strike you, they will cause real physical harm to you. Keep that in mind.'

'I will,' Shinji said, willing Unit-01 to begin moving. 'And good luck, Kaworu.'

'The same to you, friend,' Kaworu thought with a smile, continuing his trip towards his 'other'.

"Got a plan yet?" Asuka said, beginning to get quite impatient with him.

"Yeah, just follow me for now," he said. "Have to make sure they don't get too close to the city."

And with that, Unit-02 threw the rifles to Unit-01 and both headed toward the shoreline, with the EVA series almost upon it…

-----

Approaching the hallway to the dummy plug core, Gendo Ikari was beginning to feel the final pieces of his scenario falling into place. Walking into the room, he saw the reddened LCL in the tank and the floating parts of the dead Rei clones inside.

"Wh-what's going…on here?" he asked, floored. Spotting Rei sitting nearby in her school uniform, he approached her. "Rei…" he said quietly.

"Hello Commander," Rei said in a cold tone, getting to her feet. Turning to look him in the face, the tear stains on her cheeks were quite evident.

"Rei…why did you do this?" he asked, wondering about her odd behavior. "Why destroy-"

"It was necessary," she cut in. "For me to be unique…my own person."

"But…why would you wish for that?" he asked, a look of shock on his face. "What about the scenario?"

"I have decided that it would be best if that did not happen," Rei stated, walking past him. "Man deserves to live rather than be one with God."

Gritting his teeth, the Commander turned to look back at her. "I-I raised you to do this task. You will not disobey me!" he yelled.

"No, you are incorrect, Rokobungi," Rei said, walking out of the room and back to the elevator. "I am no one's puppet. Shinji told me so, and I now have more reason to believe him than you."

Dropping to his knees, Gendo was dangerously close to a breakdown at this point. 'How…how did it come down to this?' he thought. 'Everything was planned so perfectly…'

Behind him, the silent figure that had been following him finally stepped into the room and revealed themselves. "Gendo Ikari, Commander of NERV, I assume?" they said in a mocking tone.

Picking himself up off the ground, Gendo turned to see this intruder. Dressed in black and wearing a full-face mask, their identity was undecipherable. The fact that they were using a voice distorter made them harder to identify.

"Heh, one of the old men's lackeys, right?" he said, reaching into his pocket discreetly to remove his handgun.

"The old men are dead," the assassin said. "Someone they shouldn't have trusted turned on them. But it makes no difference to me either way, my orders are quite far from that." Reaching into their holster, a large handgun with a silencer was drawn. "Now why don't we just make this easy?"

Shaking his head, Gendo drew his own gun quickly and fired at his would-be assailant. Unfortunately, the assassin fired at the same time. A soft silenced shot and a louder one echoes through the bottom of Central Dogma, and both figures hit the ground a few seconds later. The assassin took a hit directly in their chest, almost near their heart, knocking them on their back. Gendo took a round in his mid-section and slumped to the floor again.

"Looks like we're both going to die, now," the person in black said, laughing a little.

"Not quite," Gendo said, sitting up and taking aim at the person's head. A few seconds later, another loud gunshot echoes through the room…

-----

Floating high over the forest surrounding the city, Azrael watched with delight as his 'troops' were nearing the shore, where the red and purple giants would be meeting them.

'Foolish children, they will never defeat them,' he thought, holding back a snicker. From his right, he could feel another presence fast approaching. 'Looks like the last guest has made it, and now it is time to begin the party,' he thought, drawing his sword in a flash and fending off Kaworu's sudden attack.

"So nice to see you again, Nephilim," Azrael said, taking notice of the fact that the other's hood was down. "So you have decided to stop hiding under that guise, eh?" Pulling back his hood, it can be seen that he looks identical to Kaworu, only that his eyes glow brighter with an evil gleam.

Kaworu quickly backed up and readied his weapon for the next attack. "I am tired of being something I am not. I am Kaowru Nagisa, something you have given up."

Azrael shrugged and laughed a bitter chuckle. "Why should it matter who I was? I can no longer regain my lost body, so I have given up on being Nagisa." Turning back to Kaworu, he asked, "But why do you continue to be what you were?"

"Because I have never given up being what I was, physical form or not," Kaworu answered. "But something is amiss here. The lack of troops might be what I am feeling…"

"Indeed, the invasion forces will not be coming," Azrael explained. "Because I will not need them for what I have in store."

Kaworu lowered his sword slightly, "Just what are you going to do?"

"There is no way I can return to the heavens," Azrael started, "therefore, I shall raze this world and rule it in its death. The old men are already out of my way, and thanks to them, so should that meddlesome bastard Ikari. And with them dead, and those damned children not long from now, there will be none who can stop me from using the EVA series to create a beautiful genocide…"

"Y-you killed SEELE?" Kaworu asked, quite shocked. "That seems to help us as much as it helps you…"

"Heh, hardly," Azrael scoffed. "You sound as though you will be the victor this day. I assure you, I will be the one leaving this city with his existence intact."

"You believe too little in the power of humans," Kaworu stated, lifting his weapon and readying it. "And I will be the one to win this day. We will not be continuing this battle again…"

Bringing his own sword to bear, Azrael grinned with a black-hearted smile. "We shall see, then. Have at you!" And with that last cry, the two halves of the final Angel flew towards one another, intent on fighting to the finish this time…

-----

"First one's landed!" Asuka shouted as the first of the EVA series, Unit-07, made landfall on Tokyo-3's beach.

Taking the initiative, Unit-02 jettisoned its power cable and hefted the prog axe directly overhead, bringing it down right on the enemy's shoulder. Its right arm slightly detached from its body, Unit-07 took a one-handed swing with its massive double-sword at Unit-02, but the weight of the weapon made it fall off-balance and drop its weapon. Seizing the opportunity, Unit-01 jettisoned its own cable and ran up, grabbing the heavy sword and brought it down into the EVA's torso. Removing the blade from the downed machine, Unit-01 sliced Unit-07 down its middle and through its core, rendering the enemy dead.

"Hey, what gives? That was supposed to be my kill!" Asuka said through the comm line.

"Listen," Shinji started, "these weapons of theirs are copied from the Lance that was used to destroy the 15th Angel. You can't let them hit you with it. Also, they're using S2 engines like the Angels. You have to destroy their cores. Got it?" Looking over at the flashing meter, he continued, "And we've got less than five minutes."

Asuka nodded, "Sure thing, won't even need that long…"

As Units-11 and 06 made it to shore, Unit-01 ran forward and drew its prog knives. Launching the mech at Unit-06, Shinji struck the blades into the enemy's chest, trying to strike its core. Unit-11 grabbed the purple machine and threw it to the side, nearly falling into the ocean.

4:15

Seeing her chance, Asuka grabs up the double-sword dropped by Unit-07 and with some work, brings it right across both of Unit-11's legs, dropping it to the ground. Rising to its feet, Unit-02 brings the blade down on the core directly, taking that EVA out of the melee.

4:03

As Unit-01 rose out of the sand, it was met with the newly-arrived Unit-12. Throwing its weapon toward the target, Shinji barely had enough time to dodge the falling sword and run to its newest threat. Grabbing the enemy by its middle, Unit-01 repeatedly punched at the section where the core was. Unit-12 brought its fists down on the other's head, knocking it down. Walking towards its lost weapon, it was caught off-guard by a barrage of rifle fire from Unit-02, which was also trying to fend off Unit-06. Shinji took the enemy's distraction by burying one of its prog knives deeply into Unit-12's core. The mech slumped down and out of the fight.

3:42

Having given Unit-01 some cover fire, Unit-02 brought its attention back to Unit-06. The enemy ran with its weapon outstretched, trying to cut down the red EVA. And quick as a flash, Unit-02 hurtled itself onto the head of Unit-06 and over, grabbing the enemy by its sides and lifting it high overhead. Putting tremendous pressure on it, Unit-06's body soon gave in to the crushing and split open like an overripe watermelon. Grabbing the exposed core, Unit-02 grasped and smashed the core in one quick motion.

3:30

"And that makes four," Asuka muttered. As she turned her attention back to the fight, she was able to catch a glimpse of one of the enemy's weapons hurtling towards her. Bringing up the EVA's AT field, it stopped the weapon…until it twisted and formed into the shape of the Lance of Longinus. "Oh God…" she whispered.

3:22

But before she could feel the attack, Unit-01 charged directly in front of the Lance, taking the hit in its left shoulder. Shinji grunted in pain as he felt the spot on his own body tear open. Unit-01 landed on the ground and slowly got to its feet, drawing the spear from its point of entry. Looking up, Shinji saw three more EVAs had made their way to shore. "Ugh…have to keep this up," he grunted through his teeth, making Unit-01 walk towards the remaining enemy units…

-----

Some distance from the shore, another fight was taking place over the forest surrounding Tokyo-3. Kaworu and Azrael traded back and forth fierce sword blows, neither gaining an upper hand over the other. Both had taken a few cuts and slashes, but they were not about to let up on each other.

Clashing steel again, Azrael took a swing with his free hand, catching Kaworu and sending him back several feet. Shaking the dizziness from his system, Kaworu looked back up at his approaching nemesis and blocked the incoming attack, sending him toward the surface. Before he could fall far, he opened his wings and rose back into the air, taking another swing at Azrael.

"My, aren't you a persistent son-of-a-bitch," Azrael remarked, blocking the attack and taking a swing of his own.

"I told you I would not let up this time," Kaworu replied.

Taking his chances, he flew rapidly towards Azrael, his sword outstretched. Azrael moved quickly from his path, only to be caught by a sudden upward swing from his enemy. Clutching his wounded side and retreating a short distance, he glared maliciously at Kaworu.

"You have gotten better since our last meeting," he said. "But I am still the stronger."

"Does it matter who is stronger? Or better?" Kaworu asked. "Why not give up this mad game of death and destruction?"

Shaking his head, Azrael laughed and answered, "If you think you can convince me that I am wrong in my decisions, you are truly ignorant."

"Ah, it was worth the effort," Kaworu said with a sigh.

"I laugh at such a fruitless effort," Azrael mocked. "Now come on, give me a challenge!"

Grasping his sword tightly in his hands, Kaworu dashed towards his 'other', hoping to finish this quick…

-----

As Units-08, 10, and 13 joined the beachfront foray, Asuka watched as Shinji got to his feet. "Are you okay?" she asked worriedly, taking notice of the timer to her side. 'Dammit, only two-forty seven to go…' she thought.

"Better than you'd think," he hissed through his teeth. "Here come the next wave…"

Unit-13 his the ground first, heading right towards the hurt from of Unit-01. But It would never reach there, as Asuka had picked up the still-transformed Lance copy and threw it right into the advancing EVA.

2:31

"Bastard…that's what you get," she said, seething with rage. Running over to its downed form, she retrieved the weapon from its pinned torso and but the two-prong end through its core. Turning to see Unit-08 retracting its wings, she ran like a wild animal, pouncing on its prone form and sending them both to the ground.

2:25

As Shinji looked out over the water, he caught sight of Unit-09 readying its Lance copy in his direction. Dodging the projectile, he caught onto its back end and with great force, threw it back to its owner. Striking the in-flight EVA dead in its core, it dropped out of the sky and into the bay, causing large waves to come up. As he turned back to Unit-02, he saw that Unit-10 had joined 08 and both were putting quite a beating on the red EVA.

"Asuka, are you okay?" he shouted to her.

"Oh yeah, just great and all…could you get your ass over here and gimme a hand?" she shouted with a mixture of sarcasm and urgency. As she returned her attention to the enemy units attacking her, Unit-08 managed a slash across her side. Gripping her injury, she felt the pain flow into her. 'Damn, that really hurt,' she thought. Drawing her prog knife, she dug the blade deep into Unit-08's face, forcing it to stumble. Ducking and shoving the knife into its torso, she struck its core and took that enemy out of the battle.

1:58

While that happened, Unit-01 had managed to have its hands full with Unit-10. The enemy had attempted to use its transformed Lance copy to pierce Unit-01's side. Moving at the right moment, Shinji grabbed up one of the untransformed weapons from the ground and used it to slice the off-balance EVA in halves. Reaching down, he located its core and broke it in one quick grip. Walking back over to Unit-02, which was picking up one of the Lance copies, both were caught in their shoulders by each of the prongs of Unit-05's lance.

1:40

The final EVA unit floated out of its hiding place in the clouds and towards the pinned-to-the-ground red and purple mechs. Both children were winded and injured, and now they were stuck to the ground on top of that. Picking up one of its brethren's lances, it walked slowly over toward the prone forms of Units-01 and 02...

-----

Breathing heavily, Kaworu backed away from Azrael. Having taken more than a few deep cuts, he currently looked at his situation as rather grim.

"You see?" Azrael said, "Both you and those children are about to be dealt with very soon. Everything is slowly coming into its place…" he chuckled, feeling victorious.

"Yes, the pieces are finally falling away…" Kaworu muttered. Drawing his sword back, ha threw the weapon towards his enemy, who dodged the flying ethereal blade quite easily.

"Oh really? Did you possibly think you could win by such desperate measures?" Azrael questioned. Bringing his sword high over his head, he spoke again, "And it is finally time to be your reaper."

Kaworu grinned, not saying a word. Azrael was taken by surprise at his show of surrender…until he felt the phantom blade of his opponent slice clean through him.

"Did…did you really forget that these weapons are as much a part of us as an arm?" Kaworu asked, catching the returning sword by its hilt. "You are more of a fool than I believed."

His mouth hanging open and the large hole in his chest, Azrael spoke again. "I thought I would…would win for certain. I guess I am the one whose existence is not needed." As the final words left his mouth, the edges of the cut began to eat his form away into dust, blown away by the wind.

Kaworu breathed a sigh of relief, his entire form in pain from his wounds. "And now, I have redeemed myself…" he said before heading deep into the forest floor…

-----

Some distance away, Unit-05 stopped short of the two pinned EVAs and fell over, almost as it had ran out of power. "Shinji? Shinji, are you there?" Asuka said into the comm link.

"Yeah…just barely," he replied, feeling like both of his shoulders were on fire.

"What happened to it?" Asuka asked.

Coughing up a bit of blood, Shinji replied, "Kaworu…he must have done it. Azrael's control is broken."

Nodding, Asuka removed the lance from their shoulders and picked up one of the power cords, reinserting it into the EVA's back. As the dwindling meter disappeared, she walked over to the powered-down Unit-05. "And this makes nine…" she said before sending the single-prong end straight through the core.

"Asuka? Shinji? Are you two okay?" Misato said through the comm line.

"We've been better," Asuka said. "Get a gurney ready when we get back, Shinji's lost a good amount of blood."

"Got it, you grab him up and head on back," Misato said with a sigh and a smile.

Picking up Unit-01, Asuka started the short trip back to the catapults. "Y'know, Shinji, you really owe me for having to drag your heavy wounded ass back to the cages…and with my own hurt shoulder, no less!" she yelled to him in a half-serious tone.

Smiling, Shinji said, "Sure thing, Asuka. Sure thing. I'll take you out on a nice, long shopping tri-" The link was cut as the last of the EVA's pwer supply ran dry. Looking back up at the interior of the entry plug, he felt as though he'd finally brought things to closure. 'Thanks, Kaworu…' he thought before unconsciousness took him…

-----

Coming to several hours later, Shinji found himself staring at the ceiling of the NERV infirmary again. 'This'd better be the last time I see it again,' he thought bitterly. Attempting to sit up, he was met with great pain in both shoulders as he remembered the injuries he sustained from the EVA series.

"Do not try to get up, you are badly injured," came the calm, quiet reply from his right side.

Looking over, Shinji saw Rei sitting in the chair next to the bed. "Hi Rei," he said. "I guess this means we both made the right decisions…"

Rei nodded. "Indeed. And I would like your help in knowing how to…live. I know only of enough to survive," she explained.

"I dunno, that'd be one helluva challenge for even me," came Asuka's reply from the other side of the room. Walking over towards the bedside, she took Shinji's left hand in her own. "How ya holdin' up, Ikari?" she asked with a concerned tone.

Shinji shrugged as best as he could, smiling. "I've been through worse, I guess…"

Looking at their intertwined hands, Rei spoke up, "Should I be leaving you alone?"

Shinji shook his head, "No, I'd like to talk to you a little."

"About what?" Rei asked, surprise on her features.

"My father…what happened to him?" he asked. "I get this feeling there's something wrong…"

Looking away, Rei explained it to him. "The Commander was found wounded in the dummy plug core room. An assassin sent by SEELE had made an attempt on his life, but he was unsuccessful. The Commander will be put on trial pending his release from-"

"Trial?" Shinji interrupted.

Nodding, Rei continued. "Sub-Commander Fuyutski has handed over the secrets SEELE and the Commander were involved in to the United Nations…with some small changes."

"Those being?" Shinji asked.

"Anything regarding my origins. And the involvement of the rest of NERV," she said. "It would be for the best if I were to be normal, like you two."

"What about the EVAs?" Shinji ventured.

"They will be put into a form of deep-freeze, hopefully not to be used again," Rei stated. "The same went for Lilith, also, to prevent her from being used as a tool again."

"Lilith?" Asuka asked.

Turning to Asuka, Shinji said, "The Angel at the bottom of Terminal Dogma I told you about."

"Oh, right," Asuka said, "the second one."

Rei nodded. "Yes. As well as Adam."

"Adam?" Shinji asked, not knowing anything about the First Angel's location.

"Yes. The Commander had been needing it as an instrumental part of Third Impact," Rei continued. "Therefore, he placed the embryo that Adam had become as a result of Second Impact into his palm."

Sighing, Shinji laid his head back. "Father…" he said softly.

"I shall leave now, I have matters to attend to," Rei said, getting up and heading for the door. "And I should also report your condition to Major Katsuragi." With that, she stepped out of the door, leaving Shinji and Asuka alone.

As soon as the door slid shut, Asuka practically threw herself onto the boy. Wincing in pain, Shinji looked down and saw that she had begun crying on him. "Hey now, what's wrong?" he asked.

Not looking up at him, Asuka replied. "You…you almost got yourself killed out there. Why?"

Placing a hand on her head, he said, "That was what I told you before, that I would die for you. And I would not let what happened last time happen to you again. I promised, remember?"

"Yeah, I remember all of that…" Asuka said, sniffling and looking back up at him, "I'd just hate to see you…die before I could say…"

"Say what?" Shinji asked, guessing the answer.

Asuka merely smiled, "I think this'll explain better." Looking into each other's eyes, they both leaned forward, their lips just barely touching. This kiss was full of love, one they would not be forgetting. It was also full of something else, something neither had been so full of in a long time…

…hope…

-----To be continued….-----

A/N: Ah, and so we have an ending. Well, not really. There's still one chapter to go (the epilogue), but don't worry. It'll be short (and I've got it mostly planned already), so it won't take very long to complete.

And now for a more personal note. It's been a good lengthy journey we've had together, and I thank anyone reading this for sticking with me for this long. Your reading of this story has been much appreciated.

-----And now, the final Omake of the fic!-----

Again, we find the author putting the final touches on the first draft of the chapter.

Author: Whew, within the projected release date, too…

Mitsumi comes floating into the room, wearing a long dress that matches her lime-green hair.

Mitsumi: Got it done? Good work! (hugs the author)

Author: (smiling) Yup, and only one short epilogue to go before it's really complete. I'm so glad.

Mitsumi: Good timing, too.

Author: Oh? Why's that?

Mitsumi: Well, me and my sisters were going to perform for the readers, right?

Author: (smacking his forehead) Of course, how did it slip my mind? Got anything good planned for them?

Mitsumi: (winking) Oh, you'll see…

Floating out of the room, Mitsumi waves to the author, who follows her into the fairies' makeshift 'studio'. As the camera follows behind, we can see the various instruments laid out around the room, boxes of strings and picks, programming and mixing equipment, and several rows of speakers.

Author: (looking around the room) Wow, you've done a lot with the place since last time…

Mitsumi: Yup, and now you just sit right there and enjoy the show!

Seating himself, the author watches for several minutes as Mitsumi and her sisters prep and tune their instruments, set up all the necessary equipment, and finish preparing themselves. After about fifteen minutes, Mitsumi and the other step back out and up to their instruments.

Mitsumi: (waving to camera) Hi all. As you know, I'm Mitsumi on vocals and lead guitar, this is Kara on first rhythm guitar (camera pans over to a fairy in red with matching hair holding a six-string and waving), Rain on second rhythm guitar (camera pans over to another fairy, this one violet-hued and carrying a guitar, who smiles brightly), Magdalena on bass (camera pans back a little, spotting a white-hued fairy, holding a four-string bass and looking shy), Angelina on keyboards (camera pans to a blue-hued fairy standing over a keyboard), and Akari on drums (camera pans to the yellow-hued fairy in the back, who waves her drumsticks in the air)…and together we are, Death by Cute! (as if on cue, spark come from the floor and a shower of confetti rains down)

Author: (sweatdropping) Well…at least they've got stage presence.

Turning to look back at her band, Mitsumi begins to strum out the first notes of The Call of Ktulu by Metallica.

Author: (smiling) Ah, hot damn, this is a good one.

The song continues on for nearly nine minutes, with several solos within that time. The dynamics are good, but could use just a bit more work. Finishing the song, the girls take a bow as the author gives them a standing ovation.

Author: (clapping) Very nicely done, girls! I'm impressed.

Mitsumi: (bowing) Thanks, but we have another song to go. Something that comes to mind with this fic?

Interested at the words, the author sits back down and awaits the next song.

Mitsumi: Okay, on this one, I'm gonna sing, and I'm not that good yet. So no one make fun…

Stepping up to the mic, the other band members begin playing as Mitsumi begins to sing…

Mitsumi: (singing) This bloody road remains a mystery,
This sudden darkness fills the air,
What are we waiting for?
Won't anybody help us?
What are we waiting for?

We can't afford to be innocent,
Stand up and face the enemy,
It's a do-or-die situation,
We will be invincible...

This shattered dream you cannot justify,
We're gonna scream until we're satisfied,
What are we running for?
We've got the right to be angry,
What are we running for?
When there's no where we can run to anymore...

We can't afford to be innocent,
Stand up and face the enemy,
It's a do-or-die situation,
We will be invincible,
And with the power of conviction,
There is no sacrifice,
It's a do-or-die situation,
We will be invincible…

A break in the lyrics here gave way to a one-two punch of a bass solo followed by a guitar solo. Afterwards, the lyrics picked back up again.

Mitsumi: (singing) Won't anybody help us?
What are we running for?
When there's no where, no where we can run to anymore…

We can't afford to be innocent,
Stand up and face the enemy,
It's a do-or-die situation,
We will be invincible,
And with the power of conviction,
There is no sacrifice,
It's a do-or-die situation,
We will be invincible …

As the song finishes its last notes and the fairies bow again, the author stands and applauds the song.

Author: Very well done. You sounded great, Mitsumi. Your voice is much more talented than mine.

Mitsumi: (blushing) T-thanks…

Author: (turning to the camera) Well, it's been a fun trip. But there are places we must go…towns we must rock. Goodbye all. (begins waving)

Mitsumi, Kara, Rain, Magdalena, Angelina, Akari: (simultaneously) Bye! Hope to see you again someday! (all wave at the camera)

And so, the camera pans away from the author's domain, for the final time. But we may yet see them again…

-----End Omake-----

Preread was done by FinalMax, yet again.

As usual: good comments will be appreciated, bad ones will be ignored (or kept for firewood). But I do favor good/helpful criticism, so send it my way to stevebarrow@lycos.com , okay?

-AngelNo13Bardiel