Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Now and Forever ❯ Ethereal Nightmare ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

-One week later-
“Major! We're finished with the repairs on the Evas!” One of the mechanics said.
“Alright. Dismissed!” Misato told them.
“We got lucky. The damage wasn't as bad as it looked.” Ritsuko said. The alarm suddenly went of. Ritsuko and Misato looked at each other and ran to the control room.
“What's the matter?” Misato asked breathing heavily.
“An angel attack!”
“What? I thought that we got them all!”
“Apparently we missed one.”
Misato ran to the intercom. “Shinji! Asuka! Get suited up and ready to launch!”
~*~
 
Love took me by the hand
Love took me by surprise
Love led me to you
And love opened up my eyes
 
And I was drifting away
Like a drop in the ocean
And now I realize that
Nothing has been as beautiful
As when I saw heaven's skies
In your eyes
In your eyes
 
~*~
“So much for getting my homework done…” Shinji mumbled as they were launched.
“I thought that we had gotten them all.” Asuka said curiously.
“So did everyone else…”
The angel was a gigantic transparent globe. It seemed to glow wit its own inner light. Insubstantial, yet not lacking substance.
~*~
 
And every time I drift away
I lose myself in you
And now I see I can be me
In everything I do
 
`Cause I was feeling as small
As a drop in the ocean
And now I realize that
Nothing has been as beautiful as
When I saw heaven's skies
In your eyes
In your eyes
 
~*~
Asuka and Shinji stood transfixed by the angel's pulsing light. “Asuka! Watch out!” Misato shouted over the intercom as the angel shot a beam of light at her.
Asuka snapped out of her trance just as the beam was about to hit her. She tried to jump out of the way but the beam managed to blow off the left leg of her unit at the knee. “Aaaaah!” Asuka screamed as a searing pain shot up her leg.
Shinji snapped out of his trance when he heard Asuka scream. He grabbed at the angel but his hand just phased through it, “What?” The angel ignored him and shot another beam at Asuka, “Asuka! Move!” Shinji shouted.
“I can't! It blew my leg off!”
Shinji looked around quickly knowing he wouldn't make it in time. He picked up a piece of scrap metal and threw it in the beam's path. The metal was completely obliterated. The angel's light then began to pulse faster and it flew towards unit1.
“Shinji! Watch out!” Asuka shouted.
Shinji found that he wasn't able to move as the angel flew towards him. It was then that he noticed that he wasn't attached to a power source and that he was low on power.
“Why isn't he moving?” Ritsuko asked.
“Unit1 disconnected. Low on power.” A technician said from a panel.
“Oh Lord…” Misato said with ever-growing dread.
The angel phased into unit1. Everyone held their breath and waited. Nothing happened. “What happened to the angel?” Asuka wondered aloud.
The area where the angel was began to glow. “Oh no…” Ritsuko breathed. The angel exploded taking out the cockpit.
~*~
 
Love took me by the hand
Love took me by surprise
 
And I was drifting away
Like a drop in the ocean
And now I've realized that
Nothing has been as beautiful
As when I saw heaven's skies
In your eyes
In your eyes
 
~*~
“Shinji!” Asuka screamed. She ejected herself from the cockpit and ran to the wreckage of unit1. She started throwing aside the rubble to get to Shinji. Hoping' praying, that somehow he survived.
“No…” Misato said tears streaming down her face. Ritsuko crying silently behind her.
“Shinji!” Asuka kept screaming his name; hoping for a response that she knew would never come. She pulled aside a piece of rubble and found his hand. She quickly cleared away the rubble from the rest of his body. He was covered in burn marks and his suit was shredded. `Oh Lord. There's so much blood. It's all over the place.' Asuka thought. She took his head in her arms. “Shinji please wake up…” Asuka sobbed. “Please…” She asked hopelessly her voice breaking. Tears streamed down her face as she gently rocked back and forth cradling his head in her arms.
 
**********
Disclaimer: I do not own Evangelion and I do not own the song.
 
The song featured is “Drop in the Ocean” by Michelle Branch.