Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Only In Your Eyes Am I Worthy ❯ Cherry Blossom Petals ( Chapter 13 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Evangelion: Only In Your Eyes Am I Worthy

Author's Note: Master Mage: There is someone proofreading the German language I use in the story and he's been pretty good about letting me know when I mess up in a timely fashion. If you feel it is still incorrect, you should take it up with him. ;) German is not my first language, I'm rusty from not speaking it for a while now, so I'm bound to make mistakes. If you feel I am still making errors, perhaps you should email me the corrections rather than just griping about my bad grammer? ;) On another matter… only one review for that last chapter? Geez… that kind of sucks.

Required Disclaimer: No own. No money. No conscience. And no jelly donuts! Enjoy and ponder on the glory of GAINAX!

Chapter 13: Cherry Blossom Petals

Maya looked back and forth between Ritsuko and Misato, noticing that there seemed to be a tension between them tonight. "I can't believe that this is one of the only two restaurants left open in the city. Everything seems so surreal ever since that last angel attack, ne?" The lieutenant asked.

"Hai." Misato agreed after a moment, noticing that the blonde doctor had simply frowned and stirred her drink. "At least it's one of the better restaurants, though."

"Misa-chan, you're making a mess." Dr. Akagi stated, pointing out that the purple-haired woman was spilling shoyu [soy sauce] on the table. The doctor reached over and dabbed the spill up with her napkin. "I'm always cleaning up your messes, aren't I?" It was quite obviously a loaded question.

"So ka?! Are you trying to tell me something, Ritsu-chan!?" The major demanded.

"Well I'm ready for dessert…" Lt. Ibuki stated loudly, hoping to change the subject and break the tension building between the two women. <I get the feeling they're going to end up as lovers or something. I knew I was reading too much into sempai inviting me here tonight…>

Ritsuko glared at the major for a few moments then she blinked and looked at her young protégé. "Nani!? You ate so much and you want desert? Do you always eat so much?"

Maya blushed and nodded. "I forget to eat sometimes. I make up for it when I remember, sempai. Does it bother you?"

The doctor gave her a gentle smile. "No, I sometimes forget to eat also. I guess it's just a bad habit."

Misato snorted and swallowed emptied the contents of her wine glass in one swallow and immediately refilled it from the bottle. "You two are two… what's the expression? Bah, forget it. You're cut from the same cloth."

"Yes, I suppose you are correct." Ritsuko agreed. "So tell me, how is that boyfriend of yours?" She gave the other woman a penetrating stare.

The major blinked. "He's um… disappeared on me. Probably off getting in to some more trouble as we speak. You know how he is."

"Of course…" The doctor agreed, maintaining her stare.

"…. So how is Soryu-kun doing lately, Katsuragi-san?" Maya asked, trying to change the subject again.

"Misato is fine, Maya-kun. And she is doing better, I think. She seems less volatile. I think the therapy is helping." The major paused for a moment and nearly mentioned how (she thought) the girl and the young Ikari were intimate, but she thought better of it. It was their business, after all. Instead she said, "Her relationship with Shinji-kun seems much less strained now as well. I'm finally getting a bit of peace in my home." She looked up and caught the longing stare that the young lieutenant was giving the doctor, who seemed oblivious. "So, how are you two doing? Friendly as ever, or what?"

Ritsuko glanced at Maya but knew immediately that the girl preferred for her to answer the question. "Well, as I mentioned to you before, the commander and I are no longer… together. Maya-chan is being very supportive of me. I daresay I would have broken down by now if it weren't for her." She smiled and squeezed the girl's hand.

"How sweet." Misato commented with a knowing smile.

"I think she has someone in mind for me, as well. She's hinted that she knows of someone more suited to be in a relationship with me." The doctor continued.

The purple haired woman grinned. "Oh, I bet she does."

Maya blushed and grabbed the dessert menu and hid her face behind it. "Wow, I sure am hungry…"

"So Maya, are you seeing anyone?" The major asked, leaning forward. <As if I don't already know the answer to that one.>

"Iie. I am single and looking, Misato-san." Lt. Ibuki replied politely. <Oh man, she knows… am I really that transparent?>

"What about that cute guy I saw you with two months ago? You two broke up?" Ritsuko inquired in a surprised tone.

"That was my brother, sempai. I haven't dated in over a year now." Maya responded. <That sounds so pathetic…>

Ritsuko blinked several times. "Your brother!? Do you always kiss your brother in such a… intimate manner!?"

Maya's eyes widened and her blush returned with a vengeance. "Chigau! It's not like that! He… he was trying to make a girl jealous. Apparently it worked because he went home with her that night. I was just helping him out."

"I don't think our young friend here even dates guys, Ritsu-chan." The major taunted.

Maya stared down at her lap and felt her face burning. "I date men… sometimes."

Ritsuko grinned and leaned over against her. "Maya-chan, I had no idea you liked girls too. Maybe it's you who we should be setting up? After all, you said it's been over a year. Wow, you must be so horny. How can you go that long without a lover?"

The lieutenant's eyes bugged out and she felt like crawling under a rock. "It's not like that!" She hissed out, glancing around to make sure no one overheard what the blonde had said. "I… get by. Somewhat…"

"Hah, Ritsu-chan, we should give the poor girl a mercy fuck, don't you think? She's probably going out of her mind…" Misato giggled.

The doctor chuckled and shook her head. "You are so drunk, Misa-chan."

The major giggled some more and nodded. "Very true. This wine is fabulous!"

Maya ate her dessert silently when it arrived. She didn't want to admit it, but what the major had said had gotten her hopes up a bit. Though, she had to admit she was after more than a little sex. And with two girls at the same time, the thought was just intimidating. She didn't know how to take Dr. Akagi's response to the suggestion, as it wasn't an acceptance or denial of the proposal.

"I think we should all be heading home. I'll pick up the check tonight." The doctor offered.

"Hai. Arigato gozaimasu, sempai." The young girl smiled. <Thank goodness, for a moment I thought you invited me to stick me with the check again.>

"Oyasumi, ladies." Misato waved as she left, not wanting to be there in case the blonde changed her mind about paying the bill.

"Shouldn't we call her a taxi? She shouldn't drive if she's drunk…" Lt. Ibuki asked, frowning at the retreating major.

Ritsuko waved it off and set some money down to pay for the meal. "Don't worry about Misa-chan, she's always drunk when she drives. I think we'd only have to worry if she was sober. Let's go."

Maya followed her out, walking down the street to her apartment. It was very close, so it wasn't much of a walk. "Always drunk?" She asked as they stopped in front of the steps leading into her apartment complex.

The doctor grinned and shook her head. "Don't worry about it. Oyasumi nasai, Maya-chan. Thanks for being such a sweet date." She leaned over and kissed the girl on the lips, pulling away before giving the kiss a chance to deepen. "See you tomorrow."

"Ah…. Hai. Oyasumi, sempai." The dark haired girl replied, her lips still tingling from the kiss. <What was that all about? It didn't feel passionate… but it still made my knees weak. I can't figure her out. Maybe she's drunk too.> She watched the doctor stroll down the street and sighed, wondering what would have happened had she invited the women inside.

*************************

Shinji lay on his (or rather Asuka's) futon curled up into a ball, listening to his SDAT player and the one surviving tape he had left. Luckily it was one of his favorites, though his very favorite hadn't survived. <Everything is turning to shit. First Rei tells me to get out, then Asuka breaks everything I own when there aren't really any shops open to replace much, then Rei tells me that she was the reason that one of my best friends is dead. And she said it without any emotion, as if she were telling me that she picked up some tofu at the store. I can't figure her out. She's going to drive me crazy!> A moment later he felt a draft hit his back and he knew his door had just opened. <Speaking of crazy…>

There was a rustling sound for several moments, then he felt a warm soft body slide under the covers behind him. A tickling sensation on his cheek made it apparent that the German girl was trying to see if he was awake or not. The third child debated whether to ignore her and pretend to be asleep or see what she wanted. Curiosity finally won out so he flipped off his SDAT player and rolled over. "Konbonwa, Asuka-kun." He whispered.

"You don't have to whisper. Misato-san isn't home yet." The red-haired girl stated in a slightly rough voice.

<It sounds like she's been crying. Do I sound like that too?> "Are you all right, Asuka-kun? You sound upset."

The girl shifted a bit. "Intense therapy session. I don't really want to talk about it."

"Hai… as you wish." Shinji replied. "I had a bad day as well, so I understand."

The second child shifted a little closer to him and looked the other pilot in the eye. "Do you want to talk about it?"

The dark haired boy blinked in surprise. "Nani? You want to hear about my problems? Are you sure you are all right? Perhaps you are ill?"

"……… Don't tell me then. I offered, at least." Asuka rolled over so her back was to the boy.

"It's not… in a way I want to tell you, but I also do not. I don't even want to think about it." Shinji stated, not knowing how else to explain it. "I just learned something today that I guess I already knew, but I didn't want to think about or believe." <I can remember seeing Rei's name underneath where it said the Dummy Plug had activated… I guess I never thought about it until she told me… gods, Toji…>

"It's about Wonder Girl, isn't it?" The red-haired girl asked, glancing over her shoulder at the darkened face of Unit 01's pilot.

"Hai… partly. Mostly about just my current life situation." Shinji replied, covertly wiping away a tear.

"………….. Do you want to make love to me?" Asuka asked, almost in a whisper. By the erection that suddenly sprang up and was pressing against her backside, she knew he was at least partly interested.

"You…. I…. but…. We….. I don't…. we….. Asuka-kun…." The third child was very flustered. Asuka rolled halfway over so she could meet his gaze without hurting her neck. She remained silent and waited for him to get his reply out. "You're… upset, Asuka-kun. You don't mean it." The dark-haired boy finally managed to say.

The German girl shrugged. "It doesn't matter. I don't mind." <Perhaps it'll distract me from feeling sorry for myself. Do I really want to do this, though?> "You want to do it, don't you?"

The third child bit his bottom lip nervously. "Honestly? Hai. But… I think if we do, we'll both hate ourselves tomorrow."

The blue-eyed girl frowned. "You are probably right. We should do it for the right reasons. And with the right people, ne? I'm sure Wonder Girl would never take you back if you were tainted by me."

"Asuka-kun… it's not like that. I…" Shinji began.

"Shut up. I don't want to hear your fucking excuses." Asuka spat out, turning her back to the boy once more. <Rejected. I'm relieved, but… offended. He'll never want me. I'll always be second to that bitch. Why do I even care?>

"… If it means that much to you, I will do it. But if you hate me tomorrow for it, please remember this moment." Unit 01's pilot stated with a sigh. He tenderly ran his hand up the girl's leg and started to sweat when he realized that once again she was just wearing an oversized t-shirt and no panties.

"………….. You don't have to. I just don't want to feel alone tonight. I just want to… feel. Just… hold me. Please?" Asuka pleaded. <God, I sound so pathetic.>

"Ah… of course." The dark-haired boy replied, drawing her close with his arms. Unfortunately, that also pressed her shapely buttocks into his straining erection. <Damn! Of all the luck… She's going to attack me now, call me a pervert. Then again, she offered me sex so maybe she won't think too badly of me. After all, I'm complying with her wishes, despite how much it hurts now… She feels so warm… so soft. I feel guilty for being excited but I don't know why. She is very attractive, after all. Is it because she is so upset? Or because the real reason I changed my mind and decided to go along with it was because I am angry at Rei-kun? I am so fucked up…> Shinji sighed and held her closer and tried to sleep despite the girl's intoxicating scent and her shapely posterior pressing against his manhood. Unfortunately for him, he was unable to fall asleep for hours after that.

Asuka, however, despite having the rock hard member nudging her most intimate areas, slept deeply and soundly. It seemed that no matter how bad her life seemed to get, when she slept in Shinji's arms, everything else vanished and left blissful and peaceful slumber.

*************************

Shinji awoke to a sharp painful sensation in his ribs, causing a groan to emit from his slumber-numbed lips. "Baka, get up I said!" He heard a female voice say.

He cracked his eyes open and saw the second child leaning over him with a frown on her face. "Asuka-kun, I'll cook you breakfast in a few minutes. Five more minutes of sleep, that's all I ask………" He started to drift off again.

"Get up, baka! I won't tell you again!" The red-haired girl growled out.

The third child sighed and sat up, suddenly growing self-conscious as he noticed his erection from the night before was still very much present. Though how much of that could be attributed to normal 'morning wood' he wasn't sure. Luckily for him, the German girl seemed oblivious to his condition. "What's wrong?" The dark-haired boy asked, rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

"Nothing is wrong." Asuka asserted, sitting up with her legs crossed 'Indian-style' [AN: Hmm, is there any other name for that style of sitting? Heh Something more… PC perhaps? I mean I know there's 'Japanese-style' which is sitting on one's knees sitting on the heels, not sure if it has any other name. Hmm…] "There are just some things we need to talk about."

Shinji blinked and sat up as well. "So ka?" <Oh man, I can't believe I turned down the chance to make love with Asuka… perhaps it's not too late? I feel guilty even thinking it, but, it is a tempting offer…>

"Aa… first, I want to thank you for not taking advantage of me last night." The German girl stated.

<Oh man… now I feel like crap just thinking what I did a moment ago!> Unit 01's pilot thought.

"I was pretty upset, and I know you were too. You were right, had we gone through with it I would hate myself now. I care about you, you silly baka. And I can see that you care about me as well. So… arigato gozaimashita." The second child leaned forward and wrapped her arms around his neck and hugged him close and rested there for a few long moments. <Ok, Dr. Kagame… so I wasn't angry but I did hug him. That is progress, ja?> She settled back and grinned inwardly when she saw his blush and his obvious confusion. She made no comments on the matter, however. "That's really all I wanted to say. Other than… just thanks for being a friend to me, despite how I've treated you. It was nothing against you personally."

The third child stared at her, blinking more than a few times. Finally he reached forward and felt the girl's forehead and cheeks. "No fever…"

"Are we back to that? Damn, you baka! Can't you just accept an apology and shut the hell up about it!?" Asuka demanded angrily.

"Gomen. Eh…" The boy couldn't find the words to convey his emotions. He didn't really understand his emotions, after all. He felt connected to the girl, beyond friendship and pilot comradery, but he wasn't sure how deep those emotions ran. After all, despite knowing that the Ayanami's psyche was responsible for Toji's death, he knew he still cared about the blue-haired soft-spoken girl very deeply. Frighteningly so, to be truthful. But, for the moment, he leaned forward and gave the German spitfire an affectionate hug then paused for a few moments then leaned back towards her and pressed his lips to hers. <Oooooh man… that's nice. Her lips are so soft and warm…>

The second child started giggling suddenly and shoved the other pilot away. "Your breath is tickling me." Was the only explanation/excuse she gave. "Now, cook me that breakfast you promised, baka." <Why did he kiss me? He's sending me mixed signals, damn him.>

With an embarrassed smile, Shinji walked into the kitchen and began to cook. <Am I intentionally trying to make myself more confused? I care for Asuka, but not as a girlfriend… I think. Yet I kissed her. Rei… she brings out the best and the worst in me, I know I care for her deeply, and yet I'm paralyzed inside whenever I am with her. Can I only be affectionate with those I don't love? I hate my life.>

Misato came strolling out of her room as the third child was finishing breakfast. "Shinji-kun, good I caught you. Akagi-dono needs to re-examine you. She also wants you to bring Ayanami-kun with you. Mmm, that looks good." She grabbed a bowl then reached into the fridge for a few beers and sat down to eat.

The dark-haired boy blinked in surprise and sat down across from her with his own bowl. "Did she mention why she needs to see me again? Was there… something wrong?"

"You mean other than your being a baka hentai?" The second child teased.

Major Katsuragi smirked. "I would assume so, Shinji. It didn't seem terribly urgent though, so I doubt it's life-threatening."

"You doubt!? You're not sure!?" Shinji cried, beginning to fret.

"Maybe you've got some terrible disease." The second child suggested with a grin.

"Oh no! I've gotta get to NERV in a hurry!" The boy jumped up and ran out in a hurry.

"Don't forget to bring Ayanami, Shinji-kun!" Misato called. She chuckled and downed her second beer. "He's so cute when he's panicking."

The red-haired girl grinned and nodded. "Hai. That he is."

*************************

Gendo Ikari grabbed Ritsuko by the lapels of her lab coat and glared down at her over his glasses. "You never told me that Rei had no uterus. Explain yourself, doctor."

The blonde woman raised an eyebrow up a bit. "I assumed you knew. It was you who created her, after all. In order to have a fully functional Super Solenoid organ, Rei would have either needed to be missing her liver or her uterus. Without a liver, she wouldn't have survived even a day. A uterus was unnecessary. I imagine that those that cloned the girl realized this."

"They never informed me of this. And you never mentioned it in your physical exams of her. You could have informed me of her deficient hormone levels, at the very least." The commander growled.

"And why exactly is it so important? If you want grandchildren, I would think you would look to Shinji for that." Dr. Akagi stated with a frown on her face. She glanced down at where Gendo was still holding on to her and wondered if he planned on pummeling her.

Ikari growled softly. "I believe Pilot Ikari and Rei are romantically involved."

The doctor nodded in understanding. "I see. So if Rei cannot have children and they wed, no grandchildren. Are you planning on taking this out on me?"

Gendo shoved the woman away and turned to leave. He paused for a moment then asked, "Without being able to bear children of her own, does that mean she will have no maternal instincts?"

Ritsuko straightened her clothes out and leaned back against one of the exam tables. "It is possible. But, her isolation may have more to do with it than her lack of a womb."

<Is it wise to let Rei become the mother of humanity if she has no maternal instincts?> the commander wondered. As he reached the door, it opened and Maya fell backwards after walking into the commander.

"Oh! Gomen, Commander Ikari!" She blinked up at him, wondering if his glare was because of her or if it was because he was leaving Dr. Akagi's presence. The man walked away without a second glance. Lt. Ibuki frowned and stood up and brushed herself off. "Sempai, are you all right? He seemed upset." She walked into the lab and let the door close.

"Yes. It was about Ayanami, as always." The doctor stated, not bothering to disguise the disgust in her voice.

Maya sighed and brushed her fingers through the doctor's hair. "You should try to move past your obsession with the commander, sempai. He's no good for you."

"I know, but…" Ritsuko scowled. "He makes me sick. And you haven't given me anyone else to be obsessed with yet." The doctor winked and grinned.

<Ok… there won't be any better time than now. Go for it… just go for it! Don't chicken out!> "Would you like to… try a relationship with a girl?"

"You asked me that already, Maya-chan. I said I wasn't against it. Now, do you want to tell me who you have in mind, or are you going to keep it to yourself?" Dr. Akagi asked, raising an eyebrow inquisitively.

<SAY IT!> "How about… I mean… to help you out, I can date you. If… you wouldn't mind that, that is." <Oh gods, I can't take that back now…> The lieutenant felt like squeaking like a mouse and burrowing into a hole.

Ritsuko blinked… several times. Then she grinned. "Oh, for a moment there, I thought you were serious. You're so funny, Maya-chan. Oh, while you are here, set up the EEGs. It might be a good idea to look at the pilot's brain wave patterns."

Maya blinked and felt a tear slip out of her eye so she quickly turned away before the doctor noticed. "Hai, Akagi-dono." <She blew me off… it's hopeless.> The dark-haired girl started running diagnostics on the computer systems after finishing up the duties that the blonde doctor had asked of her and kept her conversation polite and professional. The doctor seemed oblivious to the mood change, and continued her work unfazed.

*************************

Rei lay face down on her bed, staring at the wall. She had barely moved since Shinji had left the night before, only getting up to use the toilet a few times and once to shower. She felt numb inside, and though she should have been accustomed to the feeling, now it disturbed her. She felt like she should be having some kind of emotion but she wasn't sure which one. She didn't even hear the knocking on her door, or the third child stepping into her apartment.

"Rei-kun? Are you asleep?" The boy asked, approaching warily. <I really don't want to be here right now. I don't want to face her… I mustn't run away… I mustn't run away…> "Rei-kun?" He gently touched her shoulder. She turned her head and fixed her mysterious red eyes on him. "Uh… have you eaten today? I can fix you something. Then we need to head into NERV. We both have to report to Dr. Akagi for testing. I think they found something strange when they were examining me yesterday."

Rei blinked.

"Uh… ok I'll make you something to eat. If you're not hungry, you can eat it later." The third child sighed and walked into the kitchen. <I can't figure her out. She's so infuriating sometimes!> Judging by how the girl walked into the kitchen and sat down at the table, he figured she was hungry so he finished cooking quickly and set her breakfast down in front of her. He sat down across from her and watched her eat. "Rei-kun… I want to apologize. I… when you told me about the dummy plug, I almost hit you. I know it is unforgivable, but I humbly beg your forgiveness."

Rei paused as she sipped her miso soup. "You did not strike me, Shinji-kun. There is no cause for apology."

"But I almost did. I wanted to. Whether I did or not matters little. I considered it." The pilot of Unit 01 insisted.

The blue-haired girl finished her soup and chewed on a Japanese pickle. "Then you are forgiven." <Strange, the commander never felt remorse even when he did strike me. Which he has done more times than I can even remember. And like yesterday, occasionally he has done worse. I feel… embarrassed? My cheeks feel warm.>

"I suppose I already knew that the dummy plug was related to you. Your name was displayed when it activated. But… I still can never forgive the dummy plug for what it did." The boy stated.

"………………… ………… Understood." The first child drained her water and wiped her mouth with a napkin. "I am ready to go." <So I forgive him and he cannot forgive me for something that is only indirectly my fault.> They walked to NERV in silence.

"Akagi-dono? Ikari and Ayanami reporting for examination, as requested." Shinji stated after entering the infirmary.

The blonde doctor smiled politely. "Ah, good. Ikari, on that table. Ayanami, on that one please. Maya-chan, draw blood from the young Ikari, please. Just like you did yesterday." As the nervous lieutenant moved to comply, Ritsuko drew blood from the red-eyed girl. "How are you feeling today, Ayanami?"

"Physically I am as well as can be expected. My hand is sore and weak. I tire quickly." Rei replied without emotion.

The doctor raised an eyebrow at the girl's choice of words. "And psychologically?"

The blue-haired girl glanced at the third child for a moment then stared up at the ceiling. "Nothing abnormal to report."

The blonde woman smirked. "Right." She took a drop of blood from the sample and placed it on a slide and the rest she inserted into a machine that would run various tests on the sample. She looked through the microscope and nodded and marked some notes down.

Maya swore to herself as she attempted to draw blood from the hapless Ikari for the fourth time, finally succeeding. "Gomen, Shinji-kun. How are you feeling this morning?"

"A little sleepy still, Ibuki-chuui. But otherwise I am well." The dark-haired pilot responded.

"Maya." The woman corrected, poking the young man in his ribs to admonish him playfully. "Sempai, here is the blood sample."

Ritsuko took it and repeated the same process that she had used on Rei's blood and then leaned over to look at the boy's blood under the microscope. "Just as I thought. Take a look, Maya-chan."

"Hai, sempai." The girl bent over and looked at the blood.

The third child blushed as she looked at the girl bending over, unable to help from thinking perverted thoughts. However, when he saw the concerned look on both women's faces after looking at his blood, all hentai thoughts disappeared, replaced with worry. "Is something wrong, Akagi-dono?"

The doctor thoughtfully tapped the table with a pen then looked at the pilots. "Hai. Come look at your blood sample. Ayanami, you may stay there or come as well, it is your choice."

Rei remained still, but Shinji was rushing over. He didn't know how the blue-haired girl could remain so impassive and not even be curious about the results, but those thoughts were pushed to the back of his mind. He bent over and nearly banged his eye against the eyepiece. He blinked and looked through the microscope at his blood. He scratched the back of his head. The sample looked strange, but he couldn't quite figure out why. "It looks weird. What is wrong with it?"

"You have blue cells in your blood." The blonde doctor explained.

The third child straightened up and blinked as he regarded the woman. "Nani?"

"They're energy holding cells released by a Super Solenoid organ, Shinji-kun." Maya explained.

The boy stared at the women in shock. <That can't be right…> "But… I don't have an S2 organ."

Rei turned her head to look at the pilot of Unit 01. <Shinji… with an S2 organ? How strange.>

"Apparently you do." Dr. Akagi stated. "The question is, how? And where is it. Would you mind lying back down on the examination table? I'm going to try ultrasound. If that doesn't work, we'll try an abdominal CT."

Shinji moved back onto the examination table and shivered in nervousness. Then he shivered some more after his shirt was removed and the cold gel was squirted on his belly. "Hold still." Maya instructed gently. She smiled at him and held his hand, distracting him from his predicament.

The blonde doctor slid the sound wave emitter around on his stomach and paused as it was resting over his left side. "Any pain in this area, Ikari?" She asked.

"Iie. Should there be?" The third child responded. <Oh man… what the hell is wrong with me!?>

"Your appendix is distended. I don't see any solid matter in it though, and since there is no pain, I feel I can rule out infection. Let's get a CT. Come lay on this table here." Ritsuko ordered. A little while later they were looking at a full color three dimensional holographic image of the male pilot's abdominal cavity.

"Weird." Lt. Ibuki observed.

"Indeed. I'm going to take a cell sample. It'll be a little uncomfortable, Ikari." The doctor pulled out a large wicked looking needle.

Shinji shrieked and jumped up, ready to bolt out the door. Maya grabbed his hand and gave him a reassuring smile. "Just lie down, Shinji-kun. It'll be over in a moment."

The boy stared at the lovely young lieutenant with large, panic filled eyes. But after a little more encouragement, he laid back down on the table and tried to relax. "Why me?" He muttered.

The lieutenant saw the doctor was about to poke the pilot with the needle and he was about to have a panic attack, so she figured a distraction was in order. She leaned over after opening a button on her uniform and grinned knowingly when the third child's eyes were drawn like magnets to the exposed cleavage. She whispered into his ear and made him blush. He didn't even notice when the needle slid into his stomach and withdrew a few moments later after scraping against his appendix. "There, that wasn't so bad, was it?" She asked, dabbing at the puncture wound with an alcohol swab.

"Huh? It's over? I didn't even notice." Shinji glanced down and blinked in surprise. <Maya is good at distracting me… I wonder if she was serious? Oh man… Rei is looking at me!>

"This confirms it. Somehow Pilot Ikari's appendix has become a small S2 organ. This could give evidence to the theory that humans once had S2 organs. Perhaps this is what the appendix use to be? After all, it's always been a mystery…" The blonde doctor observed, turning to regard the boy.

"Does this mean… I'm an angel? Oh Kami-sama… I'm not the 17th angel, am I?!" The third child sat up and felt sweat beading on his brow.

"Any urges to destroy humanity?" Ritsuko inquired in a serious tone.

"Iie! Of course not!" The dark-haired boy insisted.

"Then not to worry." Dr. Akagi frowned thoughtfully. "Let's keep this between ourselves. I would worry for the pilot's safety should Commander Ikari discover this development. Agreed?"

"Hai, sempai." Maya replied.

"…. Hai, of course." Shinji agreed. <Not like I'd ever talk to my father anyway.>

Everyone looked at Rei. Rei looked back at them, no expression crossing her pretty face. She remained silent.

"Ayanami, it is important you do not speak of this to the commander. Pilot Ikari may be killed as a precaution if this became known." Ritsuko frowned. <Damn little bitch. Would you sell out your own boyfriend?>

"I will not speak of it unless I am ordered to do so specifically." The first child finally responded. <I doubt the commander would ask me if Shinji spontaneously grew an S2 organ, so no need to worry.>

The doctor sighed. "I suppose that'll have to be good enough. I'll try to figure out what caused this. Now, let's look at your brain waves before I let you go."

Moments later, both EEGs were running. "Curious…"

Maya looked at the lines but they meant little to her. "What is it, sempai?"

"Both pilots are exhibiting alpha waves." Dr. Akagi replied.

"What does that mean?" Shinji asked.

"Alpha waves are observed in patients who are in light sleep or deep relaxation or meditation." Rei responded mechanically before the doctor could reply.

"So… we're asleep?" The third child asked doubtfully.

"No, you're obviously awake. My guess is, you're operating at the borderline between wakefulness and slumber. This could explain why you're feeling like you are having dreams when you are awake." Ritsuko conjectured.

"You are a danger to us all, Shinji-kun. I am afraid I will have to destroy you." Rei stated suddenly, walking over and grabbing a scalpel.

"Rei-kun!?" The dark-haired pilot gasped out.

"Did you see that? REM activity, but they're still awake. Their brain waves match almost exactly." The doctor's voice was heard to say.

The third child blinked and looked over to see Rei frowning slightly at him. <Did she have that vision too? It seemed so real…>

"Sempai, their breathing and pulses are synced as well." Maya observed.

"Fascinating… I'll have to look at the test results from their last physicals. Pilots, you may leave now if you wish. I'll talk to you soon about my hypotheses." The doctor frowned thoughtfully and flipped through her notes.

Rei stood and nodded at everyone. "Saraba [Farewell]. I will return home. Shinji-kun, I will see you later, I trust?" Without awaiting a reply, she walked out.

The third child sighed. "I can't figure her out."

The lieutenant frowned at the doctor for several moments then turned to the pilot. "Want to take a walk?"

Shinji blinked then nodded. "H… hai." He followed her silently until they came to the girl's office.

Maya sat down in her desk chair and smiled as the pilot sat after receiving a nod. "Anything on your mind that you wish to discuss with me, Shinji-kun?"

The boy shifted nervously and shrugged. "Well, I guess I'm a little worried about this S2 organ business and what it could mean. I mean, how can someone just spontaneously develop such a thing!?"

Lt. Ibuki shrugged. "It's possible you started getting it after you re-incorporated after that ordeal a while back. Or perhaps it was instigated when your Eva devoured the 14th angel and gained its own S2 organ. Or it could be a more recent phenomenon, related to the infestation from the 16th angel. But, in the end, does it matter how you developed it? I think it's more important to concentrate on studying the results of you having it."

The third child nodded. "I see your point… the spacing out is also bothering me. It's ok to have vivid dreams, though they can be confusing, but earlier… I think that was the first time it's happened while I was awake. Possibly the second."

The lieutenant nodded. "It might just be stress. We'll have to work on that. So, anything else on your mind, while you're here?"

Shinji blushed. "Uh… well… what you said earlier." He paused when the girl raised an eyebrow. "Oh… I was probably imagining it. Never mind. I should probably go home."

"You weren't imagining it, Shinji-kun. I said it. Are you interested?" The dark-haired girl gave the boy a warm smile.

The pilot turned beet red, but nodded. "Uh… of course. But… are you sure? I mean… may I ask why?"

Maya nodded. "Let's just say I need a little cheering up. This should be fun, so I think it might do the trick. At the very least, it'll relieve some of your stress, which is a good thing for you. Now, if you are still interested, would you mind walking over here?"

The third child nervously approached the lieutenant and smiled down at her, scratching the back of his head. "Uh, just checking to make sure I'm not imagining this?" After she nodded, he continued. "I should ask, is this all you want to do? I mean, I'd be happy to return the favor, or take it to the next level…"

"One step at a time. And, for now, let's just stick with this, ok?" The girl asked. She reached out and tugged the boy's pants down, grinning as he shifted nervously about. <I can't believe I'm doing this… but for one, I did offer, to help calm him down. And for another, I feel like shit since sempai rejected my advances. So maybe this will make me feel better.>

She leaned over a bit and held the young pilot's hips gently. She stared at his erect member for a long moment, summoning up her courage. She glanced up and saw the nervous and semi-fearful look on the boy's face. <This must be his first time doing… anything. I hope I can make it good.> She licked her lips then took the head of his manhood into her mouth. She nearly jumped back when she felt the organ twitch, but it settled down and so did she. The girl looked up again and saw the awe in the boy's eyes as her lips descended, taking as much of his hard length into her mouth as possible. <Been a long time since I did this. I hope I do ok.>

Maya's head moved up and down, taking her time as she heard the pilot's soft gasps of pleasure. She moaned and grasped his hips gently to control the pace, flickering her tongue over his length teasingly. <Funny, just yesterday I was flattered but mostly uninterested in doing this… now here I am going through with it. Is this just my way of getting back at sempai for laughing me off? She seemed jealous when I said Shinji had pressed his member into my mouth, after all. I just don't understand her.>

Shinji sighed in pleasure and felt his hips moving on their own, but he tried to minimize the movements as much as possible, not wanting to harm the girl. He ran his fingers through the lieutenant's short dark hair and smiled down at her. <A dream come true... still, I feel a bit guilty. Like I'm cheating on Rei. Gosh, even on Asuka, though we don't seem to have a relationship. I'm so confused…> The wet slurping sounds and the intense pleasure he was feeling spurred him on, however.

As Lt. Ibuki adjusted to the size and shape of the third child's erection, she was able to take it deeper in her mouth, eventually her lips were pressed into the pilot's hips as he bottomed out in her mouth. She heard his low groan when that happened the first time, and his grunts and gasps seemed to become more excited. She had to admit that she was enjoying herself as well so she lowered one hand to slip up inside her skirt and finger herself under her panties, and the other pulled open her uniform top and after snapping her bra off, her breasts were bared to the cool air.

Maya kept her ministrations deliberately slow and deep, wanting to prolong the experience aas she looked up to meet Shinji's wonder-filled eyes. <I wonder how many times he's fantasized about doing just this… oh, I'm so naughty!> She murmured in approval when the boy reached down to fondle her breasts, and she found herself pleasantly surprised when she felt how gentle he was being. Most of her past lovers were too rough, at least in the beginning, but the third child was slow, gentle, and deliberate. And it was driving her crazy. "Mmmmmm." She murmured with his manhood still deep in her mouth. She could feel his hips jerking a bit and she knew he was getting closer to climax, despite how hard he was trying to stave it off.

"Maya-chan… ooooh…. I'm going to cum. Gomen…." He was shivering from pleasure.

"Mmmmmm." She responded, speeding up the movement of her fingers under her skirt. <So close…> She groaned when the boy suddenly slammed his hips forward to bury himself in her mouth and he held himself there for a few moments. She tasted his seed as it spurted into her mouth and she moaned, feeling her own climax rush through her body.

Shinji, for his part, ran his fingers gently through the girl's hair and very slowly and gently slid in and out as the last of his orgasm passed. He sighed and withdrew and plopped down on the edge of the lieutenant's desk as his knees became weak. "Arigato, Maya-chan. Eh… sorry… for… in your mouth… you know." He blushed.

Lt. Ibuki grinned and wiped her mouth clean and swallowed a few times. She stood up and quietly fixed some cocoa for herself and the boy then returned to sit back down after straightening herself out. She sipped at the hot beverage and smiled at the pilot. "Did you like it, Shinji-kun?"

The third child blushed again and nodded shyly. "It was… amazing. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a dream."

Maya smiled softly and leaned up to kiss the boy on the mouth then settled back into her chair. "I can't promise we'll do it again, but I can tell you that I enjoyed it. Let's keep this between us, though, ne?"

Shinji nodded quickly. "Hai, of course. I'd never talk about this, even if you hadn't said anything. It's just between us." <I still feel guilty… but man, that was nice! I felt like I died and went to heaven.>

They chatted a bit, about normal small talk things for a while then hugged. Shinji left with a smile on his face, hoping that if he woke up he'd remember every moment of the dream. Maya stretched and started working at her computer terminal, finding herself glad that there were no surveillance cameras inside her office, only one just outside it for safety reasons. It would be rather embarrassing if security had watched her suck the pilot off, after all.

Unknown to the pretty young lieutenant, however, there was a hidden camera in her office. Gendo Ikari had watched the entire encounter between his son and the woman without emotion crossing his face. After they were done, he wondered if the relationship between the young computer expert and his son would become more serious, as well as whether the boy would become more confident. He had several conflicting emotions. He was proud of his son for having an encounter with such a lovely young lady, he was a bit jealous of the boy as well, and he was also disappointed and a bit angry that he had 'cheated' on Rei. However, if third impact didn't happen, or didn't happen the way he thought it would, it might be beneficial for his son to get involved with the dark-haired girl, as she would likely be able to give him grandchildren where Rei would not.

He was unsure why the boy hadn't made love to Pilot Soryu as yet, since they were sharing a bed. He had assumed it was because he was remaining faithful to the first child, but given what had just happened, he had to rethink that matter. Still, there had seemed to be a tension between them and he wondered what it was. Gendo turned and nodded at Sub-commander Fuyutsuki as he entered the hidden office.

"Ikari. Pilot Nagisa just arrived. NERV insisted on sending him as an emergency pilot." The second in command reported.

Commander Ikari nodded. "Understood." He turned back to his monitors and pressed a button, bringing the sexual encounter between his son and Lt. Ibuki back up on the main monitor.

Fuyutsuki watched silently for a few moments, then asked, "So, how do you feel about this, old friend?"

Gendo flipped off the monitors and folded his hands together, deep in thought. Finally he made a cryptic response. "He's my son."

Kouzou frowned, but simply nodded in response. They both turned to watch as the newest pilot, the fifth child, exited the plane.

*************************

Kaoru took a deep breath and smiled as he left the plane, taking in his first lungful of Japanese air. He began to hum Ode to Joy as he strolled into town, no particular destination in mind. He passed a familiar boy, but he was gone before the fifth child could greet him. "Ikari-kun… we'll meet soon enough. I think I should pay a visit to the young Ayanami first, however." He smiled and made his way through the streets, in no rush. Soon, he was outside of Rei's apartment. He looked up, sensing the girl's presence. "This should be… interesting."

*************************

Before anyone gets confused, no this hasn't become a Shinji/Maya romance. ;) Their encounter was more a product of their confused and rejected feelings towards their romantic interests than it is of their own interest in each other. This will, of course, cause a few complications. But, what is life without complications? Teehee. Next chapter: The meeting between Ayanami and Nagisa, Misato's apartment and its zany inhabitants, and likely some other wacky stuff. Stay tuned! And, reviews are appreciated very much, as always. Matta ne!