Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Payback Time ❯ Payback Time ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Payback Time

Disclaimer: I don't own NGE, Gainax owns it.

AN: Takes place after 14th Angel attack.

Shinji has been taken in the Eva. After reaching 400 % synchronisation he was absorbed into the Eva, just like his mother Yui, who also reached 400 % synchronisation. Now, they're trying to get Shinji back, using a technique they weren't familiar with. Commander Ikari probably knows, though. Misato was as nervous as you can get. Ritsuko was as normal, serious.

Ritsuko was screaming commands a minute later. Misato knew this meant things weren't going very well, since the situation changed from a nervous one into a hectic one. Misato heard Ritsuko mumble something about signals being trapped in Klein space.

Clearly disturbed by the situations she said, "What does that mean ?"

Ritsuko looked back at Misato and said, "It means we've failed."

And Misato's eyes widened.. Misato ran toward Eva-01's cage and picked up Shinji's empty plugsuit, who was supposed to be filled by Shinji.

"What good....what good is your damned science ?! If, it can't even save one small life ?! Give me back my Shinji !! GIVE HIM BACK !!!!"

Several minutes passed as Misato sobbed in Shinji's plugsuit. Ritsuko watched down at Misato with an extremely sad look, as did Maya. Shigeru and Makoto's heads were hanging low as they heard Misato's sobbing.

Misato was still sobbing as she heard a sound several feet away from her. She looked, hoping it would be Shinji, but was met with a naked body of a female. Misato freaked out as she screamed again.

'She looks a lot like Shinji, could it be that Shinji changed in a female, an adult female ?'

Once again, Misato screamed.

Ritsuko on the other hand, was even more terrified. She knew who the woman was. And now she realises how happy she WOULD be if Shinji came back, maybe even more happy than Misato. Now that Yui is back, things might get ugly.

Gendo's eyes were wide open. He hadn't planned for this, but, this time, it was in his favour. Yui, his wife, has returned. Shinji's gone, but, to him, Yui was more important.

Misato was staring at the woman before her with wide eyes. Shinji hadn't come back and Misato started sobbing even stronger than before.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------

Ikari Yui was in a hospital bed, asleep. With Gendo by her side. Never ever had Gendo showed affection to anyone, except Yui. He had just used Ritsuko and Naoko for his own comfort. Now that Yui's back, all his plans weren't needed anymore. All his plans were for retrieving her.

"Yui."

He took his glasses of took hold of one of her hands.

"I'm glad, you're back.."

He realised Shinji was now trapped in Unit 01. He also realised his wife might get pissed for that.

He swallowed and prepared himself for Yui's awakening.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, in Unit 01..

Ikari Shinji still has a body and he still has a soul. But he noticed he couldn't move, nor could he see. He was enshrouded in complete darkness. He had no idea where he was. This was way different then his time in the 12th Angel. He at least saw his own entry plug. But now, he couldn't even see himself. He did not remember what happened. He wasn't injured, since he didn't feel any pain. He did feel a little sick. He really just wanted to go home and listen to his SDAT. Hell, he would take Asuka's insulting over this any day, maybe even her slapping him. He always liked being alone, with no one bothering you, no one forcing you to do things you don't want to do. But when being alone is the only choice there is, it's really frightening.

"Where am I ?"

Suddenly, sounds were coming from everywhere. Loud booming sounds, eerie scary sounds, and in rhythm. Like a heartbeat, only louder and...harsher. The darkness turned to red. Images flashed in front of his eyes. Familiar images, images of his past. But, all these images were about the things that went wrong and his life. Which means his entire past flew by, since his entire life went all wrong.. And thus, he witnessed every insult, every blow to the head, everyone who ever blamed him, everyone who ever hurt him. This continued for about 24 hours long. He cried for 24 hours long. Like any other would, he went mad, his eyes changed from deep blue, to a dark dangerous red. Two words punched him inside his head, slapped him across the face, insulted his very core.

'No More.........'

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------

Gendo was awake when Yui woke up. He had stayed there for 2 days, and he had slept maybe 2 hours long, the day before. He really wanted to be awake when she woke up. Although he didn't expect what was about to happen, but he should have.

Yui woke up and felt nothing. Not her legs, not her arms, she was surprised she could use her eyes. She'll soon find out if she can still speak. Even faster when she noticed who was holding her hand. Immediately she slapped his hand away from hers.

"Gendo..."

Her voice was extremely dangerous. Gendo's voice was intimidating, yet Yui's voice right now was way more frightening. The way she said Gendo send shivers down Gendo's spine. And Gendo wasn't easily surprised, let alone scared.

"You bastard...get the hell out of this room !!! NOW !!!!!" She spat out, spitting. Although it seemed she spitted out flames instead of spit.

Gendo replied as fast as he could, not wanting to face more of his wife's fury.

Yui was now alone in the room. She cried loud and long. She knew where Shinji was. What he was facing. It really depends on how bad your past is, she knew this. And she knew Shinji's past. She read it like an open book every time Shinji entered Unit 01. She did not want Shinji to be sucked in. But something went wrong. Shinji felt her..Shinji wanted Yui out of there. The feeling was so strong, that it threw her out of Unit 01, but trapped Shinji. She knew what Shinji was facing, and since his past was so horrible, it meant things were about to go wrong...way wrong.. Yui cried for more then three hours, knowing her son's fate. Most likely he went mad. And when Unit-01 will be activated, all hell will break loose. She knew this, because even Yui went mad. Unit-01 went berserk on its first activation. Because of what was inside. She didn't have a nice past, but compared to Shinji's, hers was a paradise. When Unit 01 activates, it will go berserk, but it will be far more worse then Yui's berserk- modes.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------

In the core of Unit 01, things were going bad. This little piece of Adam was not used to receive so much rage from a single boy. This boy, who was usual so kind and gentle. Evangelion Unit 01 was its name. Yet, a little piece of Adam was enough to make it Adam. He knew Yui, and he knew Shinji. The two of them had a horrible past. Shinji even more so.

Yui had her difficulties with SEELE, and they blackmailed her in joining them, working for them as a researcher. They told her they would erase the existence of anyone she knew and would let her live, to deal with the losses of her friends and family. So she decided to research for SEELE, so no one would get hurt.

Shinji's past was terrible as well. First, he sees her mother vanish before her eyes. They assumed she died. Then his father leaves him, without looking back at him. Ignored by his new parent, his uncle, he tries to live his life, but fails at it miserably. Then Gendo sent a note. He began to pilot unit-01, this is when Adam first met Shinji, and when Yui was reunited with Shinji for the first time, and went berserk, seeing how Gendo left him in Shinji's memories. And things still went downhill for Shinji from then on.

Now, Shinji's the one that is trapped inside of him. He knew Shinji would go insane eventually. Yui didn't go insane immediately, she was stronger and older than Shinji know is. And she only went insane because she saw her son's past, and that out together with her own past, pushed her over the edge. NERV could barely restrain the Eva then. But if the Eva went berserk now, NERV could not stop it. NERV headquarters would be destroyed in less than five minutes. And Shinji could not be reasoned with. He was, after all, insane, and above all, full of vengeance, since he showed him his own horrible past, repeatedly, for more than 24 hours long. What a mistake that turned out to be. He hadn't expected to fall at the fury of a mere human. Soon, Evangelion Unit-01 will be Ikari Shinji, completely. And for that matter, an insane Shinji...

Even worse was, Shinji was already mad, but the images won't stop flashing before him...

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------

Gendo was sitting in his office, hand folded in front of his face, with Fuyutsuki behind him.

Gendo spoke up seriously, "Put a restraint on Unit-01."

Fuyutsuki reacted a little nervous, "Is that wise Ikari ? The Second Child has..problems...synchronising."

"Rei will be enough."

"And if she is not, Ikari ?"

Gendo ignored the question, "Unit-01 will not be activated."

"Hmm, it does not have a pilot at the moment, Ikari. And the dummy plug was already rejected."

"It does not matter. In fact, it is better this way."

"How so, Ikari ?"

Gendo stayed quiet as he chose to let Fuyutsuki figure that one out for himself.

Fuyutsuki was in deep thoughts

'Yui is back. And their son is trapped in there. It may well be forever. And Ikari doesn't care. Now Yui's back, he's changing to his ignorant self...'

Fuyutsuki sighed deeply.

'I am glad Yui's back, though. But at what cost ?'

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------

Yui was, ofcourse, still in the hospital room. She was trying to think of ways to get Shinji back. She had no idea how the Evangelion itself would react. Everything was just wrong. Gendo was not supposed to leave Shinji. All of this was his fault. And her fault, too. She should've known she would be absorbed in a soulless Eva. And now, their son was paying for their mistakes. Their son, who already had gone through so much.

Yui heard the door open, and saw a purple-haired lady step in. She knew this woman, as she saw her in Shinji's memories. Misato Katsuragi was her name..

"Misato Katsuragi, do you know who I am ?"

"Yes...You're Shinji's mother, Ikari Yui, right ?"

Yui watched Misato's features and she knew she cared deeply for her son. Misato was still very upset about Shinji. So was Yui..

"Yes, I am his mother.. Thanks, for taking care of him, unlike SOMEone I know."

"It was my pleasure, he's a fine kid."

"I know, even after what he went through."

"Yes, Shinji-kun's stronger than he knows."

Yui looked sadly beyond Misato, even beyond the hospital room.

'Soon, we will find out how strong Shinji actually is..'

"So, Misato, what brings you here ?"

"I..I kinda hoped, if you knew...if Shinji can still come back ?"

"I...I honestly don't know, Misato."

Misato sighed sadly and took a seat next to Yui's bed.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------

Gendo was alone in his office. He didn't look different then he usually did.

"I expect Unit-01 to go berserk as soon as it is activated. Yui will demand to try and get Shinji back. I wasn't prepared for this. Now that Yui is back, I feel better. But Shinji is gone, and Yui knows about what I have done. I should have known this. I wanted Yui to come back when Shinji was here too. I made mistakes, but those mistakes were needed to reach what I wanted to achieve. They'll have to forgive me. Hmm. Things are not going my way. I'll make them go my way.."

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------

Adam was shocked. Here he was, witnessing the biggest rage ever, then he witnesses the boy take control, The negative flashbacks turned into the few positives he had. If Adam had eyes, they would've fallen out. Because of these few nice memories Shinji had, a pilot could try and synchronise with this Eva. Adam was at loss for words. Shinji Ikari, was way stronger than he had originally thought. On these few positive images of his past, he managed to allow pilots in Unit-01. And now, even Adam's essence could stay in here. But, Ikari Shinji was still insane. He saw the negative flashbacks return. And together with the nice ones they flashed before an already insane Shinji..

TBC

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------

So, Chapter 1's finished..Thanks for the reviews, guys. I appreciate it. Well, I brought Adam in to explain why these images were flashing in front of Shinji's eyes. Evangelions were made by pieces of Adam, right ? Caus' I'm not sure, tell me if I'm wrong. Next chapter I'll bring in Asuka and Rei