Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Payback Time ❯ Default Chapter ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Disclaimer: I don't own Neon Genesis Evangelion, since I could never come up with such genius work.

Payback time Chapter 2

Asuka was beaten, again. And Shinji outperformed her, again. Wondergirl has saved her, Shinji saved her. And what had she done ? Nothing, she hadn't even beaten an angel single-handedly. And now she was alone, in her room. But she would never cry. Misato hasn't been home for two days. And Shinji neither. She didn't care what happened to Shinji, she didn't. She didn't even know what happened to him. All she cared about was synching with her Eva again. She cared about the next angel attack. And how she would prove herself to everyone once again. Wondergirl was apparently still alive. She self-destructed, but was still alive. Stupid doll were her only thoughts about Rei. She did wonder a little about why Shinji and Misato hadn't returned home yet, it's been two days. Shinji's probably overreacting again, crying in Misato's arms or something. Hikari would come over soon, she called her about 15 minutes ago. She spend her time at Hikari's place quite often lately. Hikari sometimes came over. Although she wouldn't admit it, she liked Hikari's company. She just didn't want to be alone. And Hikari is the only one she can talk with. She hasn't heard from Kaji since she found out Toji was the Fourth Children.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------

Ayanami Rei sat on her bed in her own cold apartment. She usually just sat on her bed and thought about everything that happened that day, or that week, or even that month. Just so she had something to do. She always stared at the wall opposite of her. She found out her thoughts were often focused on Ikari Shinji lately. She did not know why. Usually she thought about her past with commander Ikari. How he had raised her. She knew she was the second Rei. But she somehow had the memories of the first. She knew she was replaceable, and could be replaced by herself. Rei III, this Rei would probably not know what she, Rei II, had experienced. Somehow, she did not want to be replaced. Rei didn't care if she would be replaced before, but she did now, somehow.

Ikari Shinji, he's absorbed in Unit-01. Ikari Yui came out. Commander Ikari has changed. Rei always observed the people around her, and immediately noticed if something was different about them. Shinji was more difficult to observe, just as difficult as commander Ikari. She didn't see anything different in Shinji in the beginning. But during all the angel attacks, she saw Shinji changing every day. As if he put on another facade every day. Which was probably the case. And that's why he was interesting to her. Shinji could very well be gone forever now. Usually she wouldn't care about things like this. But Shinji had moved her. And she...cared for him.

Commander Ikari has the ultimate facade. He comes over as he wants to be. Cold, non-caring and intimidating. But beneath all that he was probably nothing like that. Or maybe he was, but in a lesser extent.

They were both very interesting, and she had trouble understanding them. But she would learn, eventually.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------

Asuka heard Misato enter the apartment. Hikari hadn't arrived yet. She decided Misato should tell her about where she has been. Shinji was probably with Misato, maybe she could get answers from him. Then again, Shinji knows nothing at all.

Asuka stepped in the living room and found it empty. Misato apparently entered her room as soon as she entered the apartment. And Shinji was probably in his room already.

'That was fast..'

Asuka entered Shinji's room in a very aggressive way, so it would scare Shinji. But she frowned, as no one was there. Asuka sighed before closing his door and walking over to Misato's door. She knocked three times and yelled through the door.

"Misato, can we talk !? Where have you been ?! And where is Shinji ?!"

Asuka thought she heard Misato sobbing, but shrugged it off.

"Misato, answer me already !! I want to know, ok ?!"

"Go away, Asuka !!"

Asuka's eyes widened in anger. She fumed loudly, so Misato would hear her.

"Misato !! Tell me now !!"

"Asuka !! Not now !!" Misato yelled through the door.

Asuka frowned, knowing Misato would usually scream much harder, but her voice sounded....weak. Well, she didn't care, and she wanted to know why Shinji and she haven't been home for two whole days. She rammed her fists about six times on the already thin door.

Misato rammed her own door open and screamed in the redhead's face.

"Listen, Asuka. NOT NOW !!"

Asuka's hair actually flew back as Misato screamed. Misato closed her door again. Asuka did notice something else. Misato's eyes were red, instead of brown.

'Has she, has she been crying ?'

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------

Gendo was headed for Yui's room. He already knew she was mad at him. He must convince her to forgive him. Sacrifices must be made, would be his excuse. And yet, he already knew a lot of reactions were possible on that comment. His left eye twitched behind his glasses as he neared Yui's room. It really hurt him when he saw Yui look at him like that, the first time she woke up. Her look told him she disgusted him. Shinji often gave the same look, as did all the others here at NERV. But he could take it, from all those petty beings. But he couldn't take it from Yui. Yui was his weak spot, Yui could hurt him more than anything else with harsh words alone. He knew he had changed his attitude, but he didn't care anymore, he didn't care anymore about humanity's faith, he didn't care anymore about SEELE, all he cared about was that his wife was back.

He felt prepared as he stood in front of Yui's room. For the first time in a very long time, Gendo hesitated. His left eye started to twitch more and more. He put his hand on the doorknob and turned.

Yui saw her husband enter the room and immediately attacked him with a glare Asuka would be very jealous about. Gendo managed to ignore it, however.

"Yui."

"Listen, you jerk. We have nothing to discuss." She whispered poisonous.

"Yui. About Shinji."

"About Shinji ? You disappointed me, Gendo. I'm ashamed of being married to you." Yui spoke.

"Yui" Gendo repeated. He was wrong, he wasn't prepared for this.

"You left him, Gendo. You scarred him for life, mentally, Gendo !!" Yui said with tears in her eyes.

"It...It was necessarily. Please, try to understand" Gendo's eyes were now both twisting.

"You tossed him aside like he was nothing. I don't need to understand more." Yui stated clearly.

Gendo stayed quiet and tried to figure out how he could have a normal conversation with his wife.

"I...I am glad you're back, Yui.." Gendo said carefully.

"Oh you are, are you ? What about Shinji, he's all alone, in there. In that hell ! And he's just 14 years old !!" Yui screamed.

Gendo sighed, he didn't know what to say. He knew Yui would not be happy to be back without Shinji. Gendo sat down on a chair in the room, put his elbows on his knees and his head in his hands. Yui watched him feel sorry for himself and closed her eyes and tried to sleep.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------

Asuka was furious. She was beyond furious as she threw around all kinds of stuff in the apartment.

'I'll just wait until Shinji comes back and kick his ass !!'

Asuka walked toward the kitchen. A few minutes ago she called Hikari and told her not to come. Now is really not a good time, she told her. How dare Misato treat her like that !! She punched the wall several times. She kicked the couch, stomped her foot on the floor and threw glasses around. Eventually she calmed down and turned the TV on. A fridge opened and Pen-Pen looked if there were no flying objects around. After making sure there weren't he walked around in the apartment, hurting himself while walking through shattered glass. "WAAARKKK !!!"

Asuka looked at the sudden sound behind her, "Stupid bird.."

Misato was in her room, hearing everything Asuka did in the living room. But she didn't care for now. Shinji, her Shinji was gone...And she still had to tell Asuka. She's the only one who doesn't know. She really didn't want to tell her right now. But, it's best to get it over with. So she could return back to her room and sleep for a very long time, maybe even contact Kaji....

Asuka immediately shot an angry glare at Misato, as she stepped out of her room. She noticed Misato's sad look, and how it turned into a very serious one as she approached Asuka. Asuka thought she going to get punishment for thrashing the place. But Misato was as calm as ever.

"Asuka, we have to talk." Misato began.

"Finally !" Asuka exclaimed.

"I'm afraid I have some bad news. Well, for me it was bad news. I don't know about you." Misato continued nervously.

"Well, start giving me the bad news. I'll bet this has something to do with Shinji ?" Asuka stated.

"Yeah, it's about Shinji.." Misato stated sadly, trying to fight the tears back.

Asuka noticed this ofcourse and her eyes widened slightly. She realised Misato really had BAD news. Her lips started to quiver. Misato really was crying, then. But, what happened then ?

"So......what happened, Misato ?" Asuka said, trying to prepare herself.

"Shinji..Shinji, he's gone.." Misato said, as several tears fell out of her eyes.

"Wha-what do you mean ? WHAT DO YOU MEAN ?!?!" Asuka screamed.

Misato cried quietly, she was trying to calm down, but failed miserably. Asuka noticed this was bad, real bad. Misato wasn't kidding. Asuka once promised not to cry, and she had to fight real hard right now.. She tried to comfort Misato by putting a hand on her shoulder. Misato embraced Asuka immediately. Asuka was almost crying. But her pride was strong, and she didn't allow it. She did, however, comfort Misato.

It all struck Asuka in one big impact. Shinji's gone...Dead.....no more Shinji...How could he ? Shinji was invincible in his EVA.. No one could beat him when he was in there. And above that, his EVA had the tendency to go berserk, especially when Shinji was in trouble. What kind of an angel was this ? She would never admit it, but she admired Shinji, his starting synch ratio was so high...And it just kept rising, he was a natural, it was obvious..But she still had to beat Shinji, no matter how good he turned out to be. But Shinji wasn't even trying to be the best, he wasn't even trying to get a higher score than us. He didn't care....And now, he's gone...wait..Misato wasn't very clear, Yes, she was really crying, but for what ? Did Shinji die ? Or did he leave Tokyo-III ? Oh, please let it be the last one..

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------

Inside Evangelion unit-01, Adam's fear was growing by the seconds. The immense power of Shinji's mind was still growing, although it was growing more slowly than in the beginning, it was still unbelievable it was still growing at all. He was glad he could stay in here, but if this EVA would be activated, He wouldn't want to watch at what was going to happen. Adam was an angel, he could create havoc as much as the next angel, but he couldn't even begin to measure up what Shinji will be like... He was terrified, Adam, The First Messenger, was terrified..

'Humanity is sick. How can they live with each other. Just look at what they do to each other. I wouldn't want to be a human. Emotions will tear you apart. There's more pain then comfort. And in Shinji's mind, the pain is overwhelming everything. What monsters humanity creates, without even knowing it. His power is unbelievable. None of the angels stand a chance against this..monster...not even if they all combined into one.. Anyone would feel sympathy for you Ikari Shinji, if they knew what you lived through. And yet, you kept living. You're really strong, Ikari Shinji. That strength will be humanity's last hope... I really wouldn't want to be you right now. If I were you, I would already be dead of the madness, and I am really strong, especially mentally, don't get me wrong..

I'll pray for you...But, if you want my opinion....Humanity's doomed.. '

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------

"Misato....tell me what happened....I need to know..." Asuka asked seriously.

"Shinji....is absorbed..in Evangelion Unit-01....forever.." Misato cried out.

Asuka's eyes widened as the words were repeated in her head.

"He.....he can't come back ?"

"Nu-no....His mother....came out...his mother is back..and now he can never come out again !!"Misato screamed in agony.

"Shinji...." Asuka whispered.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, let me guess, too short, huh ? Next chapter is about Asuka's feelings regarding Shinji.

Well, To Start Over Chapter 11 is also almost done.

Please review and give me any suggestions, I could really use those.

Ja na