Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Revelations: The Power of Love ❯ Confrontation ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 1

Confrontation

A purple-haired woman sits on a wooden chair in the apartment's living room. A large pile of papers litters the table in front of her. She picks up a half-empty can of Yebisu beer and quickly finishes it off, tossing it aside. The can clatters to the floor, adding to the collection of empty beer cans on the floor. She sighs, collecting a set of the papers and laying them font in front of her. Her eyes scan over the text before she lets out a groan, hanging her head.

"I hate doing the paper work!!" exclaims Misato Katsuragi.

Slowly, she begins the process of reading and completing the forms before her. Behind her, a lone figure sneaks through the darkened hallway. The figure never lets Misato out of its sight as it makes its way to its destination. The figure encounters a door with a small, heart-shaped wooden sign on it. The words `Shinji's Lovely Sweet' are written on the sign. Stealthily, the figure opens the door and quickly steps inside, shutting the door as soon as it entered the room.

A young boy lies on top of the covers of his bed. His hands are resting behind his head as he gazes up at the white ceiling of his room. He has a set of headphone buds in his ear, which are connected to the SDAT in his left hand. Shinji Ikari closes his eyes and starts to drift off into sleep when he hears his door open, and then close. Curious, he pulls the buds from his ears and sits upright in his bed. He shifts slightly, changing his position so that he faces the door. Through the darkness, he can make out a figure standing in front of his door. He squints his eyes slightly, trying to get a better look at the figure. As his eyes adjust to the darkness, he instantly recognizes the intruder.

"A-Asuka?"

In front of the door stands the Second Child, Asuka Langley Sohryu, with her back to the door and hands behind her back. She is dressed in a loose fitting, yellow T-Shirt and short, blue shorts. Her gaze shifts from the floor to the visibly shocked boy before her.

"Um, what do you want Asuka?" asks Shinji in a nervous tone.

"What? I can't come in and visit you now?"

She places her hands on her hips, tilting her head slightly to the right.

"Besides, I'm bored."

Shinji audibly gulps at the phrase `I'm bored.' Normally, it was just a casual phrase. Coming from Asuka, on the other hand, was something totally different. He remembers what had happened the last time she had said that. She had kissed him and held his nose for the duration of the kiss. Looking back on it, he didn't really mind the entire thing, but he had almost suffocated. Being nervous, Shinji said the first thing that came to mind.

"Er, um, you wanna play cards or something?"

"No."

Asuka slowly makes her way towards Shinji, advancing towards him with her hands behind her back. She never takes her eyes off of the frightened boy. Acting on instinct, he begins to back away from her.

"Are you scared, Shinji?"

She leans over and places her hands on his bed. Some of her red hair slides off of her shoulders and hangs freely in front of her.

Shinji swallows as his gaze slowly moves from her eyes down her body. Being a teenager, his wandering eyes stop at the collar of her shirt, noticing exactly how `loose-fitting' the shirt really is. He continues to shift backwards on his bed until he finds himself up against the wall. Not failing to notice this, Asuka crawls towards the cornered Shinji.

"Trying to run away?"

Asuka smiles evilly at him and pounces on the helpless boy. She straddles his waist, wrapping her arms around his neck.

"A-A-Asuka…."

"Are you scared?" she asks in a seductive tone.

Shinji tenses up, perspiration covering his body as he tries not to look at the girl in front of him. He shuts his eyes, his instincts telling him to run, but is unable to with Asuka on top of him. Being so close, Shinji is able to hear Asuka's breathing. The smell of the shampoo she uses to wash her hair assaults his senses.

Images begin to run through is head of his many unpleasant, and usually painful, encounters with Asuka. The images start off slow, gradually increasing in speed as they change. The sound of Asuka's insults join the display. Every insult she had said to him was repeating in his head, right down to her cold, venomous tone. The images and insults flood his brain, changing faster and faster until it is all a blur and unrecognizable sounds. Then, everything stops and goes black. One final image fills the void, lingering longer than the others. It is one of Asuka standing, pointing her finger at the person in front of her with a very angry expression on her face.

"You are pathetic!"

Shinji's eyes bolt open. His eyes focus on the girl before him, instantly filling with all of his pent up anger and hatred.

"NO!" he yells as he harshly pushes Asuka off of him.

She lands on her rear on the floor. For a moment, she remains frozen in shock at the usually timid boy's actions, but quickly recovers.

"Why you..."

"NO! Stop using me! That's all you ever do! All you ever do is use me and insult me! I've had enough of it!! GET OUT!"

He points to the door, his arm trembling slightly. His gaze remains on the wall before him, totally avoiding eye contact with Asuka.

Asuka remains on the floor, starting in utter shock at Shinji, unable to say anything. She snaps out of her trance, the words quickly sinking in.

"I HATE YOU! I HATE YOU!" she yells, tears flowing from her eyes.

Asuka runs out of Shinji's room, slamming the door behind her. She runs to her room and closes the door. Then she falls onto her pillow, burying her face in it.

Misato looks up as she hears yelling coming from Shinji's room.

"What now? Do they have to fight this late?"

She sighs and stands up, making her way towards Shinji's room. Just before she reaches his door, Asuka bursts out of the room and runs into her room. Concerned, she knocks on Shinji's door.

"Shinji-kun? Are you ok? Can I come in?"

"Go away…."

Misato frowns at his response.

"He sounds different. Something bad must've happened," she thinks.

"Shinji-kun, what happ…"

"I SAID LEAVE ME ALONE!!"

Misato nearly jumps back at Shinji's reply. She stares at the door in shock. After a few moments, she heads over to Asuka's room and knocks on her door, hoping to get some answers.

"Asuka?"

"Leave me alone…"

"Asuka? Are you…"

"JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!"

Misato almost jumps away from her door. She steps back and glances from Shinji's door to Asuka's door.

"What the hell just happened? I've never seen Shinji-kun act like this before. Maybe it'll pass by tomorrow. Right now, I need a beer..."

Misato walks over to the fridge and pulls out a can of beer. She opens it as she heads back to the living room. She sits down and looks back at Shinji's door.

"Shinji-kun….."