Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Romance Concerto ❯ Reunion Rehearsal ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimers:

Disclaimers:
Neon Genesis Evangelion and all related characters, concepts, etc.,
are property of ADVision and Gainax. I only *wish* they were mine.

"Romance Concerto"

Chapter #1: Reunion Rehearsal

' '= Character's inner thoughts

" "= Character's spoken dialogue

Author's Notes: The story's Setting:
Now I don't know where this will go but this idea came to me as I took a day off of everything! (Work, and writing fics.) As I was on the beach resting under a palm tree, (Lucky me, I live In Florida!) I was listening to some various CD's of Instrumental music. One CD was of Beethoven's "Violin Concerto, Romances for Violin and Orchestra 1 and 2." Hence the title of this story. More music will be added, but being instrumental music, this is obviously not a song fic. If you go and listen to the music then hopefully you can get an idea of why it was used. But, please remember, as I will be switching POV between the characters, each having a chapter, and this will have some third person POV but not too much, just to warn all of you. But, it should still be fun to read. Though it will take me more time to write. Thanks all, and enjoy!

Morning Rituals

A lone female form is seen running down the cobbled and ancient streets of Frankfurt before dawn.
Running is one of the daily morning rituals for the First Chair Violinist of the Frankfurt Symphony,
Asuka Langley Soryu

She passes familiar and historic buildings including the symphony hall where she'll be in a few hours for her practice with, the Osaka Symphony's performances this week.
Her orchestra's season ended the week before, but Heir Shulman had asked her to be the Soloist
to perform with the visiting orchestra.

She was thinking of this as she was concluding her run.
'Shiest, I have to improve my time or I'll get fat, and I'm not going to let that happen.'
The first chair violinist took level measured breaths and stretched in front of the building that housed her home. It was located within the revitalized Soho-style district near the center of the city.
Many artists, musicians and writers lived there, and the cafe's they used were also there.
'I need to grab a latte as I'm going to work' she thought, as she made her way to the floor-sized loft she lived in.

"Gika, are you here? Can you draw my bath and have my morning papers ready please?"

"Yes, Miss Asuka, right away." A short thin middle aged woman then made her way through the apartment
getting what Asuka asked for ready, while the twenty-four year old German woman made her way to her bedroom.

Asuka then thought of her servant of eight years. 'Thank god I found her when I did, I couldn't get so much done without her.'
Then she remembered she was retiring at the end of the summer.
'I'm going to have a hell of a time replacing her.' she put that thought aside however,
as she did have several months till she left.

She then took the clothes she would wear that day out and surveyed them.
Satisfied with her selection of a burgundy turtleneck shirt, with black slacks,
she started to undress and got into her robe to take her bath.
Thirty minutes later, after finishing a light breakfast made by Gika,
Asuka then started her ten-minute walk to the symphony hall.

------------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------

Seeing him again

As she was walking towards her destination she finally focused on where she was going,
... and who would be there.

'He's going to be there,' was the prevailing thought repeating in her head like a repetitive drum line.
She shook her head and focused on the shop windows as she walked by them. It didn't help as her thoughts carried her back to the sight of his sad face as she had left him. . She imagined his reflection off the glass. There, standing at Tokyo-2's rebuilt airport nine years ago, his sullen and crying face.
It almost caused her to change her mind.
But her pride then made her go. Her stubborn pride, which was now raising its mighty head,
roaring once again.

(You don't need that dork! Berate him, make him suffer, show him you don't care for him.) She caught her breath and again shook her head trying to focus on the here and now.

But that voice so much apart of her life then wasn't in control now.
Now she had to decide what she would do when she saw Shinji again.
She knew of his musical exploits and she did admire his tenacity in going into a new field
and excelling as much as he had done

Then she remembered why she left.

"Rei will be there too." She covered her mouth, as several people were looking her oddly.
She ignored that and kept on walking. She then berated herself for letting her control slip.
But she had let her self-control lessen these past few years allowing more of her real self to show.

She then focused on what she had learned since she saw Shinji last.
The first and hardest lessons were the therapy sessions with the UN psychologist, Greta Lieber.
It took her well over two years to finally share her inner demons with the woman
and since then she had become a much happier person, and her self confidence came back.

One of those lessons learned was the acceptance of her past and having to deal with that emotional baggage.

The main success was the fact that she finally accepted her mother's accident,
and that the woman who had emerged from Unit-02's entry plug so long ago was just a shadow of her mother,
not the real mother that had cared for her so much.
That acceptance allowed Asuka to become more open with others, and had been the start of her new life.
Also for a time she blamed that old life on Shinji.
But through Dr. Lieber's help, she had realized that he was as much a victim of Nerv, SEELE, and Project-E.

'But that was ancient history now. I'm much more of a well-adjusted person, right?
Then why am I so nervous about seeing him again?' She sighed. Could it be that I still have ... feelings for him?'
She stopped dead in her tracks almost causing a man behind her to run into her.
That jostling brought her back to reality, as a "Sorry" was said by both.

Then she remembered that there was a coffeehouse right across the street from the symphony hall
'I do need that Latte right about now.' She headed for the coffeehouse and the relief it would give her.
She sat down sipping her latte as she calmed herself down.

Then a tour bus pulled up along side of the Symphony hall building.
She then recognized some of the people getting out were the members of The Osaka Symphony.
She then looked intently to see if she could pick one particular person out.
But since he looked so much like most Japanese men, it was harder for Asuka to pick him out.

Then she looked up again, and saw him. He was a bit taller than most of the men, about four inches taller.
'Boy did he grow up!' Was all she could think as she admired how handsome he had become.

He looked much like his father, and though that would have given he a shudder, she saw that he had a softer expression especially, around his eyes. She was admiring his kind face, when her revelry was broken by who was standing next to him as they were getting their instruments and bags from the bus.
The distinctive blue hair, though a bit longer, was there as always. Rei Ayanami stood beside Shinji Ikari.

'They're still ... together.' She said to herself now with a soft sob..

Her confidence deflated then and there. A set of deep breathing techniques Dr. Lieber had taught her helped her calm down, and after seeing her lost love next to her, they were needed.


Then she made a decision. She took a few more minutes to compose herself as the orchestra members made their way inside of the old hall. She would still have to talk to him. She needed to know, at least if there was even a slight chance if what she felt for him was returned or not. 'Even with wondergirl there!' she said to herself. She then took a cleansing breath, paid for the coffee, and made her way to the side entrance of the hallway.

--------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------

Rehearsal, and a Talk with Makoto

The hall was of course familiar as I worked there for most of the year.
I was greeted by the same stagehands, workers whom I'd known for years.
I then made my way through the building to the rehearsal room.

I had my Stradivarius violin with me at all times, not just for it's value but also because it was my only instrument. Most musicians have two instruments. One to practice with, one for concerts.
Sometimes, three or four were owned depending on the instrument or musician's preferences.
I was one of those that used the violin I'd had since I took it up all those years ago.
One of the only good things my father had done for me that I could say I admired was getting me such a famous and sweet sounding instrument as this violin.

I entered the room and made my way to the guest soloists' seat.
Since the soloists were violinists, I was next to the First Violinist of the Osaka Symphony, Takate Onaka.
She had classic Japanese looks and was quite pretty as Japanese women go.
I knew that she earned the first chair she had competed with me at an international music festival a few years ago, where I narrowly beat her in our category. I also knew that my old self would have wanted all this to be a competition, but these days I saw it for what it was, an opportunity to play well, and learn.

As everyone was tuning up their instruments, the other section leaders of the orchestra filed in.
they included Shinji, First Chair for the Cello section and Rei for the Viola section.
I looked at them and I saw something that froze me in place.
Rei was there, talking pleasantly to Shinji, and Takate.

Probably about the pieces of music they were going to play. I shook my head, then sat down and opened my case, got my instrument and music out.

I then turned a bit to look at Shinji who was staring at me as well.
I could feel it, his gentle, smiling gaze, one of caring and full of hope. It was so clear to me.
But then my pride took control for the next few moments.
I didn't say anything, but the look Shinji got from me told him volumes as I looked back and forth between him and Rei Ayanami.

That ended when the Conductor, Toshiro Mikume tapped his baton and quieted down the orchestra members.
As he cleared his throat, he then made the necessary announcements of the rehearsal.
First introducing me, which brought a very respectful applause, then the lineup of music was given.

They are as follows: (My comments are in parentheses)

1. Arron Copeland: Fanfare for the Common Man
(A piece that was used either as an opening or closing of a concert. A very lively and appropriate selection.)

2. Bach: Air in the G string
(An overall fan favorite, with many connections to certain orchestra members, including Shinji, Rei, … and myself.)

3.Beethovan's Romance for Violin and Orchestra, 1st movement
(This was my solo, which was a very boisterous and expressive piece of music. One of my favorites.)

4.Shulman: Cello Concerto in A Minor Op.#129
(Shinji's Solo, which was a very soulful and melodramatic piece of music. This piece seemed to symbolize his early life and I'm sure I had a hand on that. Something I regret now)

5.Holst: The Planets; Jupiter, Bringer of Jollity
(An uplifting piece, which involves all sections of the orchestra. This should bring the audience up from the previous piece.)

6.Pachelbel: Canon in D (Soloists Finale, uses all first chair strings, and a piano accompanist,
one of my favorites to play and listen to. Plus I get to play with all the first chairs, Rei not withstanding.)

I read the line up of music. I had of course played all the pieces before, but not in this combination.
It seemed that every piece would emphasize a soloist and all seemed to implore some strong emotions in the audience. I then wondered who had made the decisions for the music.
Normally the Conductor makes those decisions, but from Mr. Mikume's history,
this wasn't the line up of music he would have selected.

'Maybe one of the lead chairs had something to do with it.' Asuka was thinking to herself.
That, plus wanting to know what Shinji had been doing caused me to think whom to ask?
Then it hit me, "Makoto Huyuga!" He would have the skinny on Shinji, and Rei as well."
Then I was startled by an old and familiar voice from behind me.
"What do you want Miss Soryu?" Makoto was standing right behind me, having heard me say his name out loud.

"Ah, well, I was just asking myself who could tell me how everyone's from Nerv have been doing better than man who organized this little tour for the Osaka Symphony". I smiled like I would have nine years before.
Instinctively, my old defenses had gone back up.

"All right, Ms Soryu, buy me some lunch and we'll talk. Will that be acceptable?" Makoto sighed again,
now knowing what he just got himself hooked into.

"That would be fine. Now please allow us musicians to do our jobs, Thanks!"
I smiled , waved, and winked as he simply nodded in defeat.

After that exchange, the conductor tapped his baton and all eyes were glued to him as our practice lineup was announced.
"All right, we'll go though this as a dry run first with no breaks other than between pieces.
Remember to keep an eye on the changes in tempo, and if you have any questions
save them until we finish this first run through. All right, instruments up."

His baton went up and the orchestra played for the next three hours, running through the concert lineup
twice and reviewing the rough spots. We broke for lunch and I rushed to where Makoto had set up his office, in the process avoiding Shinji, whom I saw was looking at me intently. I wasn't ready to talk to him yet, not until I talked to Makoto first. I started to breathe easier as I saw Rei tap his arm, and he followed her out of the rehearsal room.

"Probably to have their lunch together" I whispered.

"Yeah, you're right about that." Makoto answered. I was surprised he could have heard me,
especially through all the din and noise that accompanies the end of a rehearsal.

"I'm used to hearing things through the noise." He gestured at the musicians playing their instruments,
talking or putting their instruments away. Before I could say anything he put his hand up stopping me.

"Lets get to lunch, as I'm not the only one that has this listening skill."
I simply nodded and followed the Orchestra manager to lunch.


After we ordered lunch, Makoto and I eyed each other. As I had now grown up to be a beautiful woman, Makoto was showing his trek into middle age as some wisps and lines of gray hair graced his temples, though he now sported wire-rimmed glasses, making him look less nerdy.

"Ok, what do you want to know?" Makoto asked, as he sipped his wine he had ordered with his meal.

"First, Are Shinji and Rei, hmm, well, ... involved?" I had to ask that first and of course I wanted to get to the point..

"You know they're brother and sister, that's their relationship, they're not lovers." He said that a bit more forcefully that he wanted. It took me back, but it did reassure me and brought some of my self-confidence back.

"Is … is Shinji involved with anyone ... right now?" My voice lowered in volume as I said each word.

"Nope, and he hasn't dated much at that. It took Rei's urging for him to go out the few times he has."
Makoto took another sip of wine.

I was confused. "Wait, you mean to say Rei pushed him to date other girls?"

"As I told you she's his sister, so she wanted him to get involved with others as much as he pushed her to do the same." Now I was really confused, Rei making Shinji date?

"So, they encouraged each other to date?" I asked surprised and confused.

"Yeah, why are you so surprised?" He chuckled as he put his empty glass down.

"I … I didn't know they were, well exactly outgoing, you know?"
It seemed that they did change more that I would have thought.

"Well, they only started to date other people last year. Before then they were so shy they only went out together." Makoto then called the waiter for another glass of wine.

"So, all those times they went out together, it was because they were scared of getting closer to others. Is that right?"

He simply nodded yes. "You got it Asuka. They're actually are finally starting to have some fun now.
Especially after we visited Maya and Shigeru 's Jazz club in Osaka."

"What, you mean those two got together?" Now that was new and different. I never figured those two getting together.

"They got married, two years ago, but they've been dating for years." Makoto started sipping his second glass of wine.

Which pretty much only left two things, Misato and … "And what about Touji and Hikari?"
I had to kick myself for not keeping up with my former best friend.
When I left Japan, I cut all ties from there, and that included Misato and Hikari.

"They live in Kobe now and have are happily running very busy restaurant there."


'So, 'I thought, 'they got what they wanted, Hikari cooking, and Touji right by her side, helping her.'
I sighed with regret. 'I wished I had the same. But I can only blame myself and my pride'

Makoto asked me if there was anything else I wanted to know.
I shook my head quietly thinking of all the things that had been told. Then I remembered.
"Wait, so what's been going around with Misato?" I asked quietly.

"Oh, Well she's now a consultant for several major companies in Japan. She also got married 5 years ago."

"Wait, she got married?" Ah, to who?" I was curious who would have not only dated
but married my rambunctious former guardian. "Well her name's now Misato Huguya."

I must have sat there silent, and frozen like a statue, for about fifteen to twenty seconds.
He had a smile on his face, as he tapped on the table to get my attention.

"Asuka, are you in there?" He waved his hand in front of my face before I finally acknowledged him.

"You …and …Misato …married?!?" Was all I could stutter out then.

"Well, she seems to have enjoyed my company, and I of course have no complaints,
other than building a permanent recycling can next to the dining room, for her beer cans.

I asked, "So, she hasn't stopped drinking?" I held my hand to my mouth, regretting it the second after I said it.

He looked down then back up to me with a contemplative look on his face.
"She's cut down, … with my help. But with all she went through with Nerv, and when she was younger." He sighed.
I remembered the talks Misato and I had about our respective pasts, hers with Antarctica and Her father dying in front of her, mine with my mother hanging herself. Both of us connected by a similar horrible fate..
"So I understood and was happier that she had cut down on her drinking. At least it was a start.

After a few minutes of chatting I finally got to the main subject I wanted to talk about,
but it seemed Makoto knew what I was thinking.
He smiled and put his hand on mine. "Asuka, it's ok. He's been nervous about you too."
I know I gave him a very shocked look. He sighed and then smiled.
"Just go up and talk to him. You two do need to talk."

I sighed heavily. "Yeah, I know that idiot and I need to talk." My watch started to beep.
"Oh, we need to return to practice."
I of course kept my word, and paid for the meal. We both then quietly made our way back to the Rehearsal hall.
As we walked back, I was talking to myself, nervously going over just what I wanted to say to Shinji,
I caught Makoto quietly smiling at the thought that we could finally talk through our differences.
I smiled back knowing and hoping that was true.

(Makoto's Thoughts)
Misato had told me so many times that those two should talk to each other and bury their differences so their true feelings could be expressed. Of course with both their backgrounds, it was easier said, than done. But Makoto's thoughts were interrupted.

(Asuka's POV)
I had little time to waste, as Shinji would be gone by the end of the week.
But fate would step in as things happened by the end of the day that would draw us closer than ever before.

---------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------

Change in Plans

As we made our way to the rehearsal hall, the conductor grabbed Makoto, and they headed for his office. He waved bye and headed away with the conductor.
I thought nothing of it, as there were more important things on my mind.
But before anything could happen I saw the First Violinist of the Osaka Symphony, Takate Onaka walk by me
with her instrument case, crying and a scared look in her eyes.
She headed into the Conductor's office where he and Makoto were waiting for her.

A few minutes later, as the rest of the orchestra set up for the afternoon rehearsal,
I observed the office door open and everyone saw a crying Takate being led to the halls exit by Makoto,
while Conductor Mikume when to the podium.

With the quick clicking of his baton on the podium, all activity ceased within the room,
and all attention was given to the middle-aged man who led the orchestra.

"A car accident has occurred back in Osaka, Takate's husband and son, were injured."

There was a slew of "Oh No's" and "That's so sad's" murmuring throughout the room before the Conductor snapped the baton and continued.

"She is taking the next flight to Osaka. So, for right now we do not have a first chair Violinist to take Takate's place."

Without hesitation I raised my hand and asked to talk to Mr. Mikume.
"Sir, I have no plans for the next month, so I'd be glad to fill in if you need me."
'What the hell are you doing?' I asked myself.

"Miss Souryu. I was going to ask you to try out soon anyway." He said quietly, then he turned to the rest of the orchestra.
"An audition will take place right after this practice as I have to allow the current members
of the Violin section to compete as well." The conductor then nodded for me to sit down.

"That's fine Mr. Mikume, I'll be ready." I was ecstatic, and nervous as well.

"Of course, I wouldn't have expected any less than that from one of Heir Shulmans' first chairs!"
That turned up the pressure that much more for me. It made me even more nervous, as I made my way back to my seat. I realized that I might be seeing a lot more of Shinji, that is if I win the first chair position.
My confidence shot up again, as my old pride came roaring back.

It took the rest of the afternoon to rehearse with me filling in for Takate.
Then, as the rehearsal ended, to my surprise, the judge was not the Conductor,
but the first chairs of the other string sections that came into the room and sat on a table facing us.

Shinji Rei, and the first chair of the String Basses, Keiichi Makabi sat and as we sat down he stood up to speak,
"You will play the first violin part of "Pachelbel: Canon in D Major."

He then sat down and all three faced us, as was the custom, the lowest chair went first,
with me last since I wasn't apart of the orchestra.
It took about thirty minutes to get to my turn as five others had played before me.
They all played accurately and well, but in my opinion without much feeling for the music.

Then, it was my turn. As I started playing, I looked at each of those judging me intently.
First was Keiichi, the bass player who had closed his eyes and seemed to be concentrating on my playing.

Then I looked at wonder girl, who sat there with that emotionless mask on, looking at me with that intense yet stoic gaze.

Finally, I focused on Shinji just as the part expanded in the piece to focus on the violinist's part.
I poured my emotions into it, focusing my efforts and showing my pride, self-confidence, and even a little giddiness. Then I started to feel the piece and that's when I play my best!

Then I was amazed, and surprised at the same time. There in that small room, all of them were standing, clapping, even my competition. And they all seemed to be smiling … at me.
I couldn't believe it at first, I simply froze and stood there until Shinji grabbed my hand and shook it.
I then came back from the twilight zone as Keiichi, Rei, and the rest of the violin section congratulated me.
I finally settled down when Shinji steps up in front of me with a smile on his face.
I smiled back and said, "Well Shinji, do you want to congratulate me on winning the First chair, or do you have something else in you mind?" I had said that with my old false bravado. He simply chuckled at my little joke, then looked at me with whose eyes, with those dark blue pools that I could get lost in. I shifted nervously, as I couldn't stop looking at them.

"Asuka, I just wanted to say that I'm happy that you're going to finish the tour with us."

"Well, if you're so happy for me Shinji, why don't you pay for dinner tonight."

"Dinner?" He looked perplexed. "We're going out to dinner?"

"Why of course, if you insist. Just pick me up at around 8, Ok bub-bye!"

She then quickly made my way out the door, as Shinji stood there stiff as a board.
'Oh how easy it was to push his buttons, just like before. I guess some bad habits are harder to break'

She then thought, 'I know if I don't start soon, I might alienate him like I did before. I'll have to work on that.
I was of course so proud of myself that I had tricked him not only into taking me out, but paying for it as well.

Then she looked back, and saw him looking at her, … smiling! 'Well that didn't work so well.'
She was deflated a little, but surmised, 'Oh well, at least he's paying."
She made her way home and change, 'Got to get my hair done, and do all the things needed to turn that man's head.' Then she remembered how he looked now.
'From what I've seen of Shinji, he really was a man, and I definitely wanted to see if his looks were a deception,
or if he really had grown up.' She sighed. 'Well, I'll find out tonight. I was giddy as I made for home and an interesting dinner.'

Chapter 2: The Big Date/ the Tour Ends