Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Romance Concerto ❯ Dinner, and a Change! ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimers:

Disclaimers:
Neon Genesis Evangelion and all related characters, concepts, etc., are property of ADVision and Gainax. I only *wish* they were mine.

"Romance Concerto"

Chapter #2: Dinner, and a Change!

' ' = Character's inner thoughts

" "= Character's spoken dialogue

**AN: I'm going to have this story on only four sites from now on. www.evamade.com, http://www.fanfiction.net/, www.geocities.com/random1377 and www.fan-fics-r-us.com . Unless something changes these will be the exclusive sites for my Evangelion stories from now on.

A/N: I'd like to apologize to waiting a year (Damn it's been that long!?!?). Many things including real life, and several bouts of writer's block have taken a toll this year so I ask for forgiveness and patience as this and my other stories are updated. I'm trying to get back into a groove and I hope it will take less time. Also, I'm going to change to third person narrative here as many things happen that a single POV would miss. So enjoy and please review! dennisud

Dinner Date (3rd person POV)

A nervous Shinji Ikari arrived in front of the building containing the floor-sized apartment where Asuka Langley Souryu resided.

As he rang the doorbell, a slew of German words seemed to be flying out of the open windows facing the side of the building where Shinji stood. He saw several people facing the building sticking their heads out their windows with annoyed looks and with equally loud responses to the words emanating from Asuka's apartment. This continued for approximately five more minutes as the running discussion done in native German, made Shinji a bit more nervous and worried. Hearing all of this, he could not help but think, 'Had she changed enough to have a chance at this working or not?'

All of those thoughts were driven from the young man's mind when the door he was standing next to abruptly opened. There, holding that door was a lovely redheaded woman clearly in her twenties and stunningly beautiful in a knee length and daringly strapless red dress. Finished off with matching red leather pumps, one of which she was hurriedly putting on as she finally stood at her upper most height.

"Hello Shinji-kun, sorry for the delay but I had a hard time finding something appropriate to wear." Her speech then petered out as she took in how handsome and tall Shinji had really become. Gone was the gawking and wimpish air that she remembered being around the former Third Child. She took in a breadth looking at his broad shoulders and strong jaw line reminiscent of her late father. But what stood out to her were the surprisingly gentle, deep blue eyes that held her in awe and speechless. They seemed to be stilled mannequins on display, not moving yet eyes locking in on each other, ignoring the world around them.

Finally a coarse Germanic sounding word from across the street broke the trance both were in and almost immediately a sharp crisp tirade of German curses spewed out of Asuka toward the now stunned fellow across the street. Who after a few seconds of digesting that Asuka had said quickly ran down the street in apparent fright.

"Asuka?" Shinji now asked the fiery redhead. "What did you say to him?"

What caught Asuka's attention then and there wasn't the fact that Shinji's face was almost a head above hers, but the more matured and confident look he gave momentarily stopped all thought processes in her mind. It took a few times of her name being called to bring her back to reality.

"Asuka, Hey Asuka are you ok?" The concern shown on Shinji's face finally registered in the fogged mind of the First Chair Violinist as she nodded and finally answered Shinji's original question.

"Sorry Shinji, but that jerk had it coming."

"Really? Well, did it have to do with your running discussion I was a witness to with your neighbors earlier?" An almost Spockish lift of an eyebrow caught Asuka off guard.

"Hmmm, I did start that, didn't I?" Asuka said a bit embarrassed biting her lower lip. "But since he's gone let's get going, ok!" Practically ripping open the Cab's door, she dragged Shinji with her in a way reminiscent of the how she did Kaji so long ago. "Lock up for me Gika, I'll be late tonight." Asuka yelled back to the door with a wink and a wave where a middle-aged matronly woman was standing with a mirthy smile on her face, obviously reacting to Asuka's antics. As the cab drove away Gika, waved and was chuckling as she shut the door.

The Restaurant

It took only a few minutes to get to the restaurant Asuka had picked out. It was a 4-star German restaurant. At first Shinji wasn't thrilled, not due to the type of food, which he actually had been eating throughout the tour, but the prices were on the high side. But before he could even say anything, Asuka simply stated that she would pay her own way.

Now normally Shinji and Asuka both could afford to pay the meal so Shinji wasn't too bothered by paying but what she said after caught his full attention.

"I want to have a friendly and quiet dinner tonight Shinji, is that ok with you?"

He looked down at her as they were walking into the restaurant's entrance. Thinking she had changed a bit.

"That's fine by me, Asuka, I wouldn't have it any other way." They both smiled at each other and entered the restaurant.

After ordering their food, they sat there taking in the sights of the restaurant, as well as taking a few looks at each other. Finally, Shinji took a drink of water and started. "Well how have you been doing Asuka? It seems you've done well for yourself since I saw you last."

That seemed to get Asuka's attention. 'He did want to know me again.' Well Asuka wasn't about to sit there wordless, so she asked as well. "I can also see you have done just as well. I'm happy for you Shinji, and I want to be able to see you like this more often. But I think we need to discuss what happened before, and I know you have some questions for me, right?" Asuka said with a sad smile, as she knew her departure from Japan and Shinji's life nine years before had to be explained to him.

Shinji sighed. "Let's have our dinner, enjoy our food and then we'll discuss our past." He then called their waiter over and ordered a German-grown wine, which was very expensive.

"Shinji … you don't have to order that. I can have any wine I … " Shinji grabbed Asuka's hand and smiled.

"I want you and me to enjoy this dinner, and I aim to do just that." He wore a smile on his face as the waiter poured the wine into two glasses. She smiled and they both toasted. 'My, he has changed.' Asuka thought as they started with their appetizers.

The Talk

After a hearty dinner the two Ex-Eva pilots and current professional musicians were reminiscing of all the antics they shared during the early days of the Angel War. But in time it turned to the consequences and results of that war, and of their resurrection during Third Impact.

A silence spread between them. It hung there for a few minutes until one finally broke it. "Shinji." Asuka then waited until she could see eye to eye with her friend. "I, I am truly sorry for leaving you like I did." He closed his eyes and then after a moment opened them again and simply nodded, but then asked a simple question that is ever so hard to answer.

"Why did you leave?"

Asuka looked down as she spoke, afraid of looking Shinji in the eye. "I was scared, jealous, envious … and I blamed you for all my problems when I should have looked in a mirror to see who the problem was." She laughed rather sadly. "It seems we both have much more in common than either of us want to admit. I was running away from my problems, like you used to." A tear started to trail down her cheek. Asuka tightened her hands into fists, her old pride seemed to kick up for a second wanting her to deny what she was saying but many years of therapy and maturity made that effort a losing cause. "I was an immature little brat who didn't know how good I had it … until it was gone. I ran away from someone who cared for me and I denied it then. "She took his hand in hers. The look shared between them seemed to convey that and much more. "I also have to apologize to your sister. I was so stupid. I couldn't understand that you cared for her differently than how you cared for me." Shinji simply nodded and allowed her to go on. "I promise you that I'll talk to her tomorrow to try and make amends. Not for helping our relationship, but to finally bury the hatchet between me and Rei."

Shinji smiled and nodded. "She was the one that got me through that. I was so low and depressed. Her inner strength and quiet compassion was what I felt and what helped me.". Asuka felt lower than dirt thinking of all the awful things she had felt about Rei Ikari, but kept silent as she heard what Shinji had to say about Rei. "But I'm more proud of what she did after that time. Rei started to blossom Asuka, to become more human. She actually has a few friends in the orchestra and she goes out on her own now."

Shinji was almost gleaming as he continued. "She doesn't stay with me as much as she did before. She probably depended on me as much as I did her back then. But, I think she knows now that we have both grown up, and for that I am thankful for her."

They shared a smile as Asuka collected her inner strength to continue. Her mixed feelings for Shinji's sister still had to be resolved. But she put that away for later, as she had to answer him.

"Shinji, I'm glad that Rei has grown so much but I'm still not finished." Smiling, as she had to say the hardest thing yet, hoping he wouldn't just up and leave after she was done. So after getting Shinji's undivided attention, she continued. "I finally want to say I'm so sorry for what happened nine years ago. I won't blame you if you want to just leave now, but I wanted you to know that I cared for you then … I just didn't know how to deal with it except to lash out at you, to keep you away. Plus I was a fool for thinking that you and Rei were closer, than you really were." 'I was such a jealous Baka.' She dared to look up to see what expression Shinji had and the kind warm smile was still there 'He's so forgiving. Damn, I was such a real Baka back then, but I won't let my pride get in the way this time.' Asuka then added, "I'm not denying it now. But before you say anything let me say this." She looked up intently at Shinji who after a few moments nodded.

"Thank you Shinji-kun." He looked surprised.

"Thank you for having dinner with me despite all that we've gone through and thank you for just being …you. I just hope we can at least be friends." Asuka then smiled as Shinji smiled back and squeezed her clasped hand. She took a breath and continued. "I know we can't just start a whirlwind relationship, I'm only asking for us to be friends first. We can use the time we have on this tour to see if there is a chance that what we have here can work."

Shinji then sat there contemplating Asuka's proposal every passing second made Asuka more and more nervous.

Then she felt another squeeze as she looked up to a smiling Shinji. "I think I can do that, as long as you aren't going to hide behind that emotional wall you had, I'll be your friend Asuka as long as you let me."

An ecstatic Asuka scooted over and shakily hugged her friend Shinji. Both seemed to relish the closeness of the hug and the warm feelings that they might just have another chance

Then realizing she was making a scene, and with a red hue on her face sat back down on the seat and took deep breaths to calm down, that is until she heard Shinji chuckling. She looked up in one of her classic glares. "What are you laughing at?" She said a bit tensely.

"Oh nothing, just my friend making me laugh!" Shinji said with an honest smile on his face. After a hrumph she crossed her arms across her blossomed chest before she smiled as well. Shinji then got that look, the look of expectant fear.

"Glad I didn't react like ah used to huh Shinji!" Asuka was smiling coyly as she wanted to get Shinji back in some way to embarrass him. Then she got an idea. Asuka gave him a devilish smirk, followed a few seconds later by a startled Shinji who had nearly jumped out of his seat as a naked foot is seen retracting back to find it's missing red leather pump after a rather interesting journey below the table. After the laughter around them died down, the newly reformed friends talked of their current tour and started planning outings with each other, and with Shinji's suggestion, allowing Rei to accompany them on some of the outings.

Then Shinji stated. "I couldn't believe you thought Rei and I were dating?"

Asuka responded by saying, "Well back then I was confused and had I had no real way to know the difference between a real date and a brother taking a sister out."

Shinji nodded. "I didn't know either, not until I started dating in college."

"Really? You mean you didn't date till…" Asuka was interrupted.

"… College, yeah. I simply wasn't interested until Rei made me go out with some friends and I have dated some since then. But I haven't been able to have a real relationship even with the dating I've done." Asuka, though not too happy with his steady dating was impressed in that fact that Rei had made him go out thus helping him to mature, plus no serious relationships. Maybe she had a chance. Asuka also knew that she would have to have that talk with the enigmatic Rei. Hopefully she would be able to convince the blue haired girl of how sincere she was. Asuka then said a silent prayer to help her the next day.

After they left the restaurant, they took a walk though a nearby park and eventually the two ended up back at Asuka's apartment. Giving each other a hug good night, they planned another dinner date, this time with Rei so they could hopefully begin again. What they didn't see was that there were two people following them.

Both had been in the restaurant and followed them out, The first was a tall blond European who scowled every time the couple seemed to be having a good time. The second person was much smaller and seemed more feminine. She used a hood to cover her features but a street light showed several strands of blue hair under the hood, making the identity obvious of the second stalker. But Rei wasn't as focused on the couple now, as she was more interested at the first stalker. She intended to find out who the tall man was, and what his intentions were towards the newly found friends.

The couple eventually got to Asuka's home and after a hug and a peck on the cheek good night from Asuka, a smiling Shinji waved to her as he seemed to be floating down the side walk away from Asuka's home and towards the hotel Shinji and Rei stayed.

As a happy Asuka closed her door, the first stalker seemed to wait a minute then walked to a parked black sedan. Rei took down the make and model of the car, as well as its license plate, before it disappeared down the street. She now made her own way back to her room thinking of what she had seen.

As Rei made her way back to her hotel, she thoughts on all she had heard at the restaurant. Not only the glowing appreciation of her brother in her helping him through his ordeals, but also in Asuka's seemingly sincere apologies to Shinji … and herself.' Maybe Souryu-san has matured as well.' Rei thought back to several instances the old Asuka would have erupted into one of her tantrums … 'but she didn't.' As Rei thought of this, she used her cell phone to contact Makoto Huyuga, the Orchestra's manager to ask his wife, UN Commander Misato Huyuga for her help. Rei knows that Misato's connections should give her a good shot at finding out the identity of the tall blond stalker.

When she called to request the information, she was also told by Makoto to meet him after rehearsal tomorrow. She was to inform Shinji as well. When she inquired why, Makoto simply said that he had something to talk them about.

Later a similar message was left on the answering machine of Asuka Langley Souryu.

Lunch with Makoto

A new dawn broke over Frankfurt; the members of the Osaka Symphony Orchestra were packing up their things and making their way to the busses that would take them to the airport. Asuka though, had to get up before any of the others just to pack and make her way to the group's hotel to join them. So she left Gika, her housekeeper, to finish up and store her belongings in her floor sized apartment. As Asuka left, the same blond stranger from the night before followed her at a discreet distance. He followed the cab she was taking to meet the orchestra at the airport.

As the orchestra checked in a the ticket booth, Makoto went by and reminded the three former Eva pilots of their late afternoon lunch after they arrived in Vienna.

The three former children sat together and were discussing their trip and Makoto's request. Shinji and Asuka were silently perplexed as to why Makoto wanted to meet with them, while Rei thought to herself that it might have something to do with her request on the stalker she had seen the night before. Either way they all winged to Vienna for two concerts and three days of rehearsals and some hoped for sight seeing.

During the flight, Rei became more worried for her brother's safety, and for one of the few times in her life she became anxious. This got the better of her and she quietly made her way to see Makoto, who is a few rows back on the jet. She finds him talking adamantly on the plane's courtesy phone. From the conversation she could tell that he was talking to his wife, Misato. Rei then interrupts Makoto and quickly reminds him of what she saw the night before and on her concerns of the blond stranger following Asuka and Shinji.

Rei then talks to Misato giving her the car's license plate number, make and model. Misato replied that she'd use her connections with Interpol to find out more on the stalker. Then Rei asks that Shinji and Asuka not to be told of this until they have more on the man. Makoto and Misato agree say their good-byes to Misato and then ask Rei to remind Shinji and Asuka as soon as they set themselves up in the hotel to meet him in the hotels main restaurant.

It took no more than an hour to arrive in Vienna, and after another hour to get their baggage they arrived at their hotel. After few more minutes, the three children made their way to the restaurant to meet with the orchestra's manager and Shinji and Rei's agent.

Makoto greets the three and asks that they order first so they can have their discussion without having to worry about their food.

Finally Asuka's impatience gets the better of her. "Ok Makoto, what do you want with the three of us?"

"Ah, Asuka, always getting straight to the point as usual." Shinji smiles while Rei simply nods.

The look Makoto gets from Asuka tells him enough and he continues. He clears his throat and continues." I've called you all her not just for the free meal, but for your help." All three pilots' interests are peaked.

"What is it you want of us, Makoto-san?" Rei said in her usual monotone voice.

"On behalf of my wife, your former guardian and Commanding Officer, we humbly request that if you are interested we need your professional help in raising funds for the Tokyo-3 Memorial Fund." The former Nerv tech then looked at the three to see their reaction. It didn't take long for one to ask,

"What is it that you want us to do Makoto?" Shinji asked almost repeating Rei before.

"Well as you know the ten year anniversary of the end to the Angel war is coming up in two months, and I know you three are free after next week." Makoto looked again to see if he had all three's attention, he did. "So Misato had asked me for help. As they were about ten million Yen short on the funds needed to maintain the site once it opens…" He got cut off.

"Ok, so what do you want us to do to help?" Asuka asked wanting to get to the point.

"Well, Misato asked me for ideas and I came up with this."

He then unveiled a poster showing six figures, each holding a classical instrument and a modern one, with the title "Tokyo-3 Memorial Chamber Orchestra Series." All three former pilots looked intently at the drawn poster.

"I want you three with a pianist, second violinist, and a bassist, to form this chamber orchestra to perform seven benefit concerts with the proceeds going to the Memorial's shortfall.

He then explained a tour featuring the children and some of the former Nerv staff who are now musicians. Shigreu Aoba and his Wife Maya (Ibuki) will play string bass and keyboards respectively. Orchestras on five of the seven cities will provide backup to their concerts and support musicians will be hired at the other two sites where they don't have an orchestra yet. As he finished his little proposal. He waited to see if the three would buy into it.

After a minute where the three seemed to be thinking intently Rei finally answered. "I would not mind help Misato-san, I agree." She then looked to her fellow musicians to see if they would join her on the tour.

"I'll join as well, it sounds fun and we get to help Misato and Tokyo-3 again." Shinji said energetically.

All eyes then fell on the redheaded German girl. She looked at then all intently, then answered, "ok, I'm in." She then smiled as she realized that would give her more time with Shinji.

Makoto then added that he would set up the series and leaves the musical decisions to them. The three ex-pilots themselves will be playing while visuals will be on a screen above them portraying various scenes that compliment the music and message in the concert.

Rei asks "What message?"

Makoto answered, "Well as you know when the world was essentially dead after The Third Impact, life sprang anew thanks to the sacrifices of the people of Tokyo-3, and those who helped to battle the Angels." Makoto looked that them intently before he continued, " So it isn't just a memorial tour, it also a way for the world to see you and thank you in their own way."

All three seemed a bit awed and surprised at the idea. Not only would they help the Memorial in their former home, but also it would allow the world to thank them by coming to the concerts and applauding them in the chosen profession. It was something that touched all of them in varying ways.

To Rei she felt a way to finally close that chapter of her life, and to finally move on. To finally live a real life and not put to bed her former self. To Asuka it was a way to deal not just with her still sore emotions of her time in that city, but it was also a chance to say Thank you to those she help save and to embrace her future. Especially since she would be with the one person she wanted in her future Finally to Shinji, it allowed him to complete his emotional rehabilitation he started after Third Impact. Plus having the two people he cared for the most with him would make this fun as well.

The arrival of their food allowed all three pilots to come back to reality.

They asked Makoto on what else he had planned and he went on to a preliminary list of cities that wanted them to have their concerts there. Twelve cities were on the list and after a few minutes the four agreed on seven of them. First was going to be Tokyo-2 where Geherin began later to become Nerv. Then they would travel west to New Beijing China, then to Delhi, India, followed by a three city European leg of Zurich, New London, and Frankfurt. Finally Chicago, and New Los Angeles to finish the tour and they would have a Memorial Concert at the Tokyo-3 Memorial dedication ceremonies in 2 months.

Makoto then revealed that their old friend Kensuke Aida would be doing the video and sound during the Concert. Shinji was happy to know that he'd be able to see his old friend again, while Asuka was not very thrilled about it, though Rei was indifferent to it.

Makoto asked "Hey, if you're up for it? I could have an audition set up for Sunday afternoon so you can have your second Violin set?"

All three then slowly nodded. "Ok then I'll set it up for 1 to 4 p.m. and that will allow you to pick a good musician."

"Well, he or she will have to be good, as good as we are!" Asuka said a bit boastfully.

"Asuka, we're in Vienna, I'm sure you will find a great player who will support you all."

Makoto winked as though to alleviate the musicians' feelings. Then they continued their lunch and started to plan out their choices for the music they would be playing.

After the Concert that night, Shinji walks Asuka to her room next to his and Rei's.

"So Asuka what do you think of all that's happened today?"

"Well my vacation is shot, but I won't mind that as long as I can help out Misato and it does give us some more time to become friends." She smiled a brilliant smile, which Shinji copied.

"It will be fun seeing and working with the Aoba's and Kensuke."

"Wait, you mean Maya and Shigreu are married? I didn't know that?"

"For about five years. Yeah they own a rock and Jazz club in Tokyo-2. Rei and I go there when were not touring."

"To what, hear the music and reminisce?" Asuka asked.

"Actually we try to go once a week to …play!"

"Wait … you play there? Really?" Asuka asked questioningly with a little hint of anticipation.

"Surprised you huh! Yeah I play bass guitar, Rei plays rhythm guitar, flute, and keyboard."

"Really, well I'll have to check that out. I do play the Sax you know."

"Really, Asuka, I didn't know that. Maybe we can jam one night, what do you say?"

"I would love to, plus I'd like to see your sister play Jazz and Rock, that I have to see!"

Shinji chuckled, "Well Asuka, here's your room. Oh listen, we'll meet for breakfast and start to plan out the music. Sounds good to you?"

"Sounds great to me, Oh Shinji, can you ask Rei that I want to talk to her for a minute, just have her knock on my door in a few minutes."

"No Problem Asuka, and it's been nice just talking to you."

"Yeah it has hasn't it!" She winks as she opens and waves to Shinji as she closes her door.

Shinji shakes his head and smiles as he enters his room. While down the hall a door opens and a tall Blond man makes his way down the hall. He makes hi way to Asuka's room's door.

Confrontation

A few minutes later, Rei makes her way out her door, and sees Asuka yelling at the same tall blond man who had followed Shinji and Asuka in Frankfurt. She listens as the redhead continues yelling at the seemingly bewildered man.

"Hans, I've told you countless times to LEAVE ME ALONE! I do not want to see you, go out with you, or if I can help it breathe the same air you do. Now get out before I call the police!"

"But, Asuka I want to marry you and take care of you. You won't have to work unless you want to, you…"

"I don't have to work Hans, You know that. But I want to play my music and I do it because I love to play. Now I'm giving you till the count of five to get in that elevator or I'm calling." Asuka pulls out a cell phone, activates it, and starts counting.

"1" The man blubbers and holding his hands up slowly backs away from Asuka and Rei who is now standing next to Asuka.

"2" He then pleads for Asuka to change her mind, but is still backing up!

"3" Shinji hears the commotion, opens the door and sees the scene before him as the tall blond Hans almost stumbles as Asuka starts to dial her phone!

"4 … 5 " Run Hans or you'll find a jail cell as your bedroom tonight!"

"When Asuka said "5," Hans had been furiously hitting the down button and stumbles into the slowly opening elevator. Then furiously is seen crawling to and hitting the first floor button and hesitantly he smiles and waves to Asuka, who sneers back at him.

"What was all that about?" Shinji asks concerned at what he witnessed.

Before Asuka can say anything Rei explains all that she saw including the discussion Asuka had with the man she called Hans. After a confused look Asuka then explained, "Hans Gruber is my housekeeper's nephew. As a favor to her I dated him once and only once. Ever since he's been bothering me, and following me around. He even followed me on my tours and it's really getting ridiculous. I've even found him once in my room. That scared me to death. But I thought he had stopped after the suit I filed against him. That was six months ago."

"Well, it seems that he's back in your life." Shinji added.

Rei then said, "He followed the two of you when you went out to dinner yesterday."

"Hey, how do you know this?" Asuka asked, concerned about who saw them yesterday.

"I … followed you two, more to keep an eye on Shinji, but later to keep an eye on that man." Rei looked at the now shut elevator door.

Asuka sighed. "Listen Rei, can we talk, I think we need to."

Shinji told them, "Well, now that he knows which room is yours, why don't you stay in our suite Asuka, then you can talk to Rei there while I talk to the hotel security about Mr. Gruber."

Surprisingly with out much protest, Asuka is taken into the Ikari's suite by Rei as Shinji leaves to talk to the hotel management.

Room mates

After Shinji left, Rei had got some juice and the girls made their way out to the balcony.

After a few minutes enjoying the view of the city, Asuka opens the conversation. "I understand why you followed us last night Rei." Asuka smiled a small smile to the emotionless expression Rei had on her face. "You don't trust me, especially after what happened nine years ago."

"You are right Miss Souryu. I was the one who had to pick up the emotional pieces your departure created. It will take me some time to fully trust your intention towards my brother."

"Blunt as usual Rei. Well I did expect that. All right then let me be as blunt."

"I accept that Souryu-san." Rei then waited to hear what Asuka had to say. It didn't take long.

"I made a childish mistake nine years ago Rei, and I mean to fix that mistake. I want to be at least friends with your brother and I want you to know that I will not run away like I did back then." She paused as Rei kept the same expressionless look on her face.

"All I want is to be near him again, even if it's only as a friend."

"What about this Mr. Gruber, is my brother in any danger from him." Rei questioned

"Other than him showing up in my room that one time, he's more of a pest that anything else." Asuka said.

"He is taller and physically larger than Shinji and us. Do you know him well enough to know if he wouldn't resort to violence against Shinji or you?"

Asuka thought about that then answered. "I don't think he is like that Rei, but as I said I dated him once and ever since he's been a pain in my butt."

"He as touched your backside Souryu-san?" Rei asked.

"No, no that is a figure of speech and meta…" Asuka saw a small smile from Rei. "That was a joke … from you?" Asuka was flabbergasted and very surprised. A small smile was now on Asuka's face as well.

"I have matured Souryu-san." A small inkling of mirth was in Rei's eyes.

"Well what do you know, I'm glad you've grown up Rei. It will make our working together much easier." Asuka smiled.

"With that said, I think it would be prudent if you stay here with me tonight so if Mr. Gruber tries to get into you room he will find no one." Rei awaited Asuka's response.

"Well I think that for tonight it would be a good idea. Hans is a bull headed Baka, so I'll go next door to get my stuff."

"I will accompany you. It is better that you not go alone." Rei added.

But Asuka was confused. "Why all the concern for me Rei? I mean with that happened before, we weren't close at all."

"My brother does care for you, and I care for my brother." Rei then went to open the door with Asuka following her.

'Well it's a start.' Asuka thought and went to her room.

Auditions and Surprises

On Sunday they held auditions for the second Violin spot, though the back up musicians would still need to be picked a few days before the concerts in the cities where they don't have an orchestra to back them up.

After Shinji comes back from the hotel office, the girls explained the situation, and he seemed happy to be able to help Asuka. He even suggested that for the rest of the tour, that they get three bedroom suites so they all could have their own rooms and with all three there, they'd feel safer.

Sunday morning was almost like it was ten long years ago, with a refreshed and smiling Shinji serving breakfast to the girls. Afterwards they sat around the kitchen table and went over the various pieces of chamber music that they had all brought. All had to choose not only what the seven primary pieces of music they would play at all of the cities, but several solos, as they knew, as was custom.

There would be a top musician in each of the five of the cities as soloists to thank each city's Orchestra for hosting them there. They agreed that they would do thirty minutes of playing with a 10-minute intermission, then another thirty minutes with a finale. They all agreed to keep three pieces each and one solo and that they would meet again on the long plane trip to Beijing to finalize the music selections.

The three then got ready for the afternoon auditions.

It took three hours to go though the nearly forty hopefuls, with Makoto in the waiting room sending the applicants in one at a time, while the three waited in the auditorium to choose between the applicants. The piece was the Violin solo from Canon in D-major, which all three of the ex-pilots had already agreed to play on their mini-tour.

Though they loved the piece it was getting a bit old fast, so they were happy to see the final hopeful finish the piece. Makoto had taken all the names of the one's trying out and correlated them with the comments of each of the ex-children. It was then that Makoto's assistant said there was one more applicant. The children sighed but nodded and that told Makoto to also wave to his assistant

As they await their final entrant, they talked about some of the music they'd chosen to use when a glass broke suddenly. The two girls looked to see that it was the one that had been in Shinji's hand. They then turned to follow Shinji's gaze, on the stage; they see a 24-year-old Auburn headed Kowaru Nagisa smiling with a violin case under his arm. A loud thump was heard as Makoto fainted, knowing whom the former fifth Child was.Then Kowaru said quite lively, "Ah do I still have a chance to audition?" Rei looked quietly at him with a concerned look, while Shinji was white as a ghost.

Asuka though, she began trying to reach Shinji, "Shinji, Hey Shinji, you look like you've seen a ghost!"

"Girk" was all Shinji could say!

Next time, Kowaru joins the tour and the final concert for the orchestra leads to the two weeks of intense practice as the four ex-pilots and their former techs work out their musical problems. Meanwhile Hans visits his aunt the heads for Osaka. In chapter 3: Practice time.

dennisud