Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Sibling Bonds ❯ Convergence and Consequences ( Chapter 10 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimers:
Neon Genesis Evangelion and all related characters, concepts, etc. are
Property of ADVision and Gainax. I only *wish* they were mine.
Please try to be good to me; this is my first stab at an Evangelion "Only" Fic.
If you have read this whole fic, I do state now this is a Waffy fic, with a bit of action as well!
Thanks to Andre Laval for pre reading this chapter!

"" ""= a telepathic conversation.

( )= a person's thoughts

Sibling Bonds

Chapter #10: Convergence and Consequences

The rescue crews picked up Touji Suzahara out of the plug as Shinji watched in silence.
He didn't yell, nor scream. He just started planning to see how he was going
to take revenge at the tormentor of his life, Gendo Ikari, his father, and head of Nerv.
He was going to bide his time and wait for an opportunity to get his revenge on him,
not just for putting Touji in danger, but for what happened to Rei and Asuka.

""You just wait father, I will get you. Sooner or later I'll get you for this!""
Shinji screamed telepathically, while physically opening and closing his hands.

What will Shinji do to take out his revenge on his father? Will Rei and Asuka be all right?
And will Shinji learn Rei's other secrets? Will this cause a rift between him and Rei?
And what happens when the 14th and 15th angels team up against the EVAs?

Yes, there will be a battle with 2 angels for the price of one. And tell you what I'm going to do.
I'll have Unit-04 make a special appearance when Touji needs it the most!

2 days after the 13th angel:

One Shinji Ikari sat brooding between the two most important woman in his life. Rei Ayanami,
his sister and designated pilot of Evangelion Unit-00, lay in a bed to his left,
while Asuka Langley Sohryu, his girlfriend and designated pilot of Evangelion Unit-02 lay in a bed on his right.
While arriving several minutes before was Misato Katsuragi, the childrens' guardian and Commanding officer.
She felt powerless. Not only was she not able to keep the girls safe, she couldn't help Shinji
as much as she wanted to as he never left the girls' room.

Shinji had been despondent and worried about Rei and Asuka. He hadn't been able to contact them
telepathically since the battle, and he was becoming more worried as the days passed with them both unconscious.
Yet he was also formulating a plan of attack. A way to get his father back for all that was done to them.
He also wondered what was in the dummy plug that he had controlled during the battle with the 13th angel.
He knew it wouldn't be a pleasant talk he was going to have with his sister, but she had to start trusting him
with more of her secrets now that he felt his father had lost his trust with his actions.

Just as he was thinking of this he felt his name being called in his head, first by one voice then two.
He grabbed the girls' hands closest to him and got up to see if they were waking up.
He tried to reach them telepathically.

""Rei, Asuka are you ok? Please answer me girls please!"" was all Shinji could think.
"SShiinnji, my baka-kun! Wow do I have a headache!" Asuka said out loud as she awoke.
"Brother. I can hear you," was Rei's answer as she awoke moments later.
"Oh girls!" Shinji held their hands tightly, then leaned over kissing Asuka first, passionately,
then hugging and kissing Rei on the cheek.

"I was so worried. I ...thought I ..might be alone, if you two ....didn't come back," Shinji said as he was crying.
Both girls pushed themselves up from their beds and hugged the crying pilot as they comforted him together.
"We will not leave you Shinji-kun," stated Rei.
"No damn Angel will keep me or Rei from you, got that my baka!" added Asuka.

"Well it seems I came at the wrong time, I'll go," said a surprised Touji Suzahara,
standing in the doorway next to an equally surprised Misato.

"Don't go!" said all three children in unison.
Then they dragged Touji into the hospital room and started first checking him for injuries,
and other than some bruises, and some cuts, he was fine. Then they talked of the battle
and of how they felt powerless against the Angel. Touji also felt the same as he found out his predicament.
He didn't blame them for what happened.

"I don't blame any of you for what happened. I mean how can you predict that an Angel would take over
an Eva. You know there must be huge odds against that happening," Touji said to calm the pilots' guilt over
the battle.

Shinji said; "It's just, well we were worried, and..."

"And what Shin-man. you did your job. Destroy the angel, right," said a now angry Touji.

"But, Touji, you could have been maimed, ...or killed."

"Shinji, I knew what I was getting into here. I knew my life could be lost piloting, as all of you know."

"But. You..." Shinji stuttered.

"Look I am alive now right? That what counts. Now drop it before I bop you one," finished Touji.

As the conversation between the two friends was going on, the girls were observing the situation.

"Asuka, do all boys act like this?"

"Rei, it's how boys act when they're with other boys. They can't talk about feelings directly so they act macho so they can,"
replied Asuka.

"I... see, so when Touji talked the way he did, he was showing his feelings of... friendship towards Shinji?" said Rei.

"Yeah. You know Rei, I can see what Hikari sees in the jock. He does care about others' feelings,
even if he is a bit of a jerk at times," said Asuka.

"I... will talk to Touji-san later, ...to personally apologize to him."

"Why, Rei?"

"I am ...intrigued of his motives for piloting, and I ...wanted to get to know him better."

"REALLY!!" shouted Asuka which quickly got the boys and Misato's attention.

"Rei, we need to talk after they leave," said Asuka as the boys joined them with Misato to see when they could go home.

_______________________________________________________________________ _________________________

As SEELE Meets:

SEELE 1 : The scenario is not being followed, why?

SEELE 5 : It is Ikari, he is deviating from the prescribed scenario.

SEELE 9 : He must be dealt with.

SEELE 1 : No, the angels must be dealt with first. plus our monitor within Nerv did not work.

SEELE 12 : Mr. Kaji needs to be dealt with.

SEELE 7 : No, he may still be of use.

SEELE 3 : How?

SEELE 1 : Simply, he can diffuse erroneous information, and we'll see if this can put things back on the right track.

SEELE 12 : I still say erase the problem.

SEELE 1 : He will be ...in time, as well as Ikari.

SEELE 4 : Will Unit-04's* reappearance be a deterrent to the scenario.

SEELE 1 : No, it won't make a difference. We will be prepared for that eventuality.

* One week after the 13th angel's defeat, Unit-04 mysteriously reappeared in Nevada minus Nerv 02 branch.
The silver and black Eva was then sent immediately to Nerv-01 in Tokyo-3.
The U.S. wanted nothing more to do with it, especially since over five thousand people
lost their lives at the former NERV base.
After it's arrival, the S2 engine was disabled. And after a thorough inspection by Dr. Akagi's staff it was deemed
ready for service and put in standby mode to back up the other Evas.
Unit-03 would take another month until it was battle worthy, but that might be too late as the angels were coming in
closer intervals since the 12th angel. As all this was happening, a man was stealing a delivery truck
to use it for a more special purpose.

_______________________________________________________________ _________________________________

One day later, the girls are released

The pilots all pile into Misato's car and head towards their apartment. Touji tags along.
They arrive and as they make their way to their bedrooms, Asuka yells;
"MISATO! What the hell is this! Why are there bunk beds in our bedrooms?" asked Asuka in her usual flair and irritation.
"Well, the Commander has chosen to house all the pilots in one location for security reasons, so Touji will be moving into Shinji's
room." "I am? Don't I have a say in this?" asked Touji.
"No, not really, since you joined Nerv, you have to do what the Commander orders, got it Pilot Suzahara?" said Misato.
"So, where does Rei stay?" asked a now timid Shinji.
"Rei will move to your room Asuka and..." but before she could finish Asuka exploded.
"NO WAY IN HELL! I respect her and can even say I can stand her as a person, but no way am I having her living with me in
MY ROOM!" (Asuka was not really angry at Rei, she wanted to keep things the way they were because of her nightly rituals!)
"Now Asuka, listen! I know that you would rather have Rei in her own room, and I also know of your nightly trips to Shinji's
room, so let's make a deal!" ("Oh Crap" was all Asuka could think now!) Shinji inched his was out of the living room slowly making his way toward his room. Then he caught his girlfriend's eyes, he froze and her look made it clear for him to stay there.
Asuka replied; "Ok, I'm listening!"
"If you can promise me that you and Shinji don't do any funny stuff at night, then I'd be willing to allow your current sleeping
arrangement. Shinji was starting to shake and a trickle of blood started from his nose.
I'm sure Touji will be willing to do some couch duty till we see how this works. Is that ok with you?"
"Let me get this straight, me and Shinji can sleep together, as long as we don't make love, and I can stay in his room, right?"
"Yes. Now, I have to talk to Touji about this. I'm sure you want to ask Shinji to help you move your stuff, so go on."
A thud was heard down the hallway as Shinji collapsed from the loss of blood. But, back in the Living room;
"Wait a minute!" (Touji is now facing Misato) "I have to move here, living with Shinji, Rei, and the Devil girl here,
and I sleep on the couch? No way! I want a bed, not a lumpy couch," stated an Irate Touji.
"I would not mind the company in my room Misato, I would not object to have Pilot Suzahara sleep in the lower bunk."
Misato and the rest of the Children gawk at her for a minute.
"Look I think one couple sleeping together is enough for me to worry about," said Misato.
"Misato, I am not having sex with Pilot Suzahara at this time, so there is nothing to worry about."
Misato let out a sigh of relief. Touji was beet red, but only for a moment.
"But that doesn't preclude that possibility of it happening later on," said Rei in her normal monotone voice.
A second thud then was heard as Touji lay on the floor, with a trickled of blood from his nose.
By then Misato had lined up a six-pack of Yebisu beer, and she opened all six and proceeded to consume all of the beer in a
three minute period. While in the hallway stood Asuka with a perplexed look on her face as she stubles on an unconcious Shinji.
"It seems they didn't like my idea," was all Rei could think of as she went into her room and rearranged her things and made the
top bunk in the room. While a drunk Misato, passed out Touji and Shinji, and a dazed and confused Asuka stayed in the living
room. It took a few more minutes until Rei and Asuka dragged a still passed out Touji and Shinji to their repective beds.

After dinner the three pilots went to the balcony and finally opened up their minds and had a telepathic conversation.
""Rei, what are you thinking? Sleeping in the same room as stooge #3?"" said Asuka.
""Rei, Touji is my friend, but I feel very worried that you would sleep in the same room with him,"" added Shinji.
Rei looked at the couple for at least 30 seconds, then answered.
""Shinji, do you trust my judgment?""
""Yes, of course, Rei!"" replied Shinji. Then she turned to Asuka.
""Have I lied to you Asuka, ... ever?"" Asuka thought for a moment, ""No, not that I can remember.""
""Then I will tell you now I will not have sex with Touji Suzahara now.
If however, this changes I will inform you first."" She tapped her forehead and both understood.
But that last questions brought up a question that Shinji had been wanting to ask Rei.

""Rei, can I talk to you, ... in private later?""
""That is fine, brother. We'll talk after dinner""
""Thanks Rei."" She then entered the apartment leaving Asuka and Shinji alone on the balcony.
Asuka asked; ""What was that about?""
Shinji replied: ""It's a brother/sister problem. Let's leave it at that Asuka, please?"" Shinji begged.
Asuka harumphed, then kissed him on the cheek as they made their way inside the apartment.

_____________________________________________________________ ___________________________________

The Commander's Office

"Has the Fourth Child moved into Major Katsuragi's residence?"
Dr. Akagi replied: "Yes, though I don't know why they should all live in one place."
"It is none of your concern, Doctor," replied the Commander.
"Aren't you concerned that the growing relationship between the Second and the Third might jeopardize you plans?" Ritsuko
spouted.
"If you must know, there have been threats made on all the children, so the best situation is
for all of them to be in one residence to better keep an eye on them," replied a stern Commander.

This silenced the irritated Doctor, and with that Gendo Ikari ordered her to leave.
After she left, Sub Commander Fuyutski appeared from the shadows.
"Will the children be safe in one residence. Wouldn't it be prudent to have them in separate residences?"

"No. Section 2 can keep better tabs on them if they are in one place all the time," stated Gendo.

"Are the doctor's concerns justified?"

"I would think that if the pilots formed bonds, we could use them to our advantage when we need it."

"Even Rei?" That did touch a nerve with Gendo.

"If it is to our advantage, I would allow it, as long as the objective isn't compromised."

"And if it is?"

"I would stop the relationship."

"How?"

"By whatever means at my disposal."

"Even ... if Rei objects?" said the Sub-Commander.

"She can be replaced," stated the Commander.

"And the Forth Child, will you have him pilot Unit-04?" asked The sub Commander.

"Yes." he said.

"And what if it's S2 engine malfunctions again like it did in Nevada?"

"We've disconnected it and it will not be used." Replied The Commander.

"You thought of everything, Gendo." Said The Sub Commander

"Don't I always." Finished Gendo

Satisfied with the continued silence, the Commander then made his way to the elevator to Terminal Dogma.

_________________________________________________________________ _______________________________

A park near the pilot's residence

Brother and sister are walking side by side as they silently take in the sights and sounds of the park.
Shinji motions towards an open bench, Rei nods her approval and they sit.
Rei had been wondering what had been on her brother's mind.
She could feel through their link a sense of apprehension.
She also remembered the last words she said to him before she passed out.

""My father, ...the Commander has taken control of my EVA. What can I do Rei,
can you tell me please?""

"" I, ... can only tell you, ... to search for me there, ..... in your EVA, ...
with your mind, ... and take control.""

She knew now what Shinji was worried about, and she prepared mentally for what he would ask.

He reached and took her hand in his own. This seem to calm both of them down.
"Rei, I need to ask you about what you told me to do. You know during the battle,
you asked me to search for you within my entry plug, and ..."

"Shinji, (she squeezed his hand) are you sure that you want to know this?" said a newly nervous Rei.

"It will change the way you ....see me. I don't want you to change your feelings for me, Shinji."

Shinji took what Rei said, and after some thought, he said;
"Listen to me, Rei I know who you are. You are my sister, and that will never change.
I was so happy to have someone other than my father to call family.
So, whatever you have to tell me, I will still love you as my sister. Do you understand?"

Hesitantly, Rei began to explain her origins, not leaving anything out. She then continued by explaining the
dummy plug system, and that the cores were her sister clones, beings of body, but no mind or soul.
Throughout the conversation Rei kept looking down, not looking up to what expression Shinji had on his face.
When she quietly finished, she looked slowly up and saw her brother crying quietly, while tightly holding her hand.
She then hesitantly drew him into a hug to calm him. After a few minutes he slowly pulled away from her,
and stood up letting go of her hand, he walked away with his back to her, and stopped about five feet away.
After a tense minute, he spoke.

"Are you, you, Rei Ayanami, ...my sister? That's all I want to know, Rei are you that?"
He asked quietly unknwingly mimiking her monotone syle while facing away from her.
She quietly stood from the bench and walked towards him.
She stopped beside him, and after a few quiet moments answered.

"I am, and always will be ....your sister, Shinji. That will never change."

Shinji the asked; "If you die, what happens?" Rei ... caught her breath for a moment, ... then answered;
"My soul would seek one of the clones bodies, and I would live again."

"Would your ...memories and experiences of me, of Asuka and the others, would they go with you?"

She hesitated, "I would retain memories up to my last memory dump which is performed weekly."
She looks to his face. A calm but emotionless look is on his face. She looks down, worried.

"Will you forget our relationship, how we care for each other?" asked Shinji quietly.

"I have only had to transfer to another once, and at that time I retained my memories, ...
but I do not remember any emotions associated with those memories," said a now quiet Rei.

He surprisingly spun around, and took her by the shoulders looking at his deep blue eyes, to crimson red.
"Will you forget that you are my sister, here?" Shinji took Rei's hand, and held it to his heart.
She look down at his hand, and then back up to her brother's face. Several tears were streaking both siblings' faces now.

"How can I ever forget what you mean to me Shinji, I love you, I can never forget that."
Shinji then grabbed her in a fierce hug, and swung her around and around laughing and crying all the way.
After he started getting dizzy, he landed on the ground with Rei on top of him.
They both had smiles on their faces, with Rei quietly giggling, while Shinji was laughing loudly.

"You know, if I didn't already know you two were related, I'd think you were cheating on me, my Baka Shinji!"
said Asuka standing next to a nearby tree.

Shinji said; "Did you hear ..."
She just pointed to her forehead. "You two can't keep something that important from me you know!"

"Point taken, Asuka," said a now calm Rei.

"Ok, so what does this bit of information do to us?" asked Asuka.

"Nothing, it stays the same. The only thing that changes is who is really in control when it's important,"
said a now confidant Shinji.

Asuka now hugging Shinji from behind, said; "And what does that mean Baka-kun?"

"It means, my love, that my father will not intentionally put us in more danger than is needed."

"How Shinji-kun?"

"If I can control the dummy plug system, then you two could as well."

"And that means, what?" asked Asuka inquisitively.

"Well, if he uses it again, we can control it from here." He pointed to his head.

"Isn't that what we do normally?"

"Yes, and no."

"What does that mean, yes and no?"

"No, it can't be accessed until it's turned on at the command center," said Shinji.

"And?" asked Asuka.

"When it's on it's like piloting the Eva, but without feeling anything that is done to it," said Rei.
A look of understanding came upon her face.

"So, you can make it do what you want, but not feel it's pain if it gets hurt, right?" Asuka asked.

"Yes, but remember, if you really need to feel something, then it can be a drawback," responded Shinji.

"Well at least it's another weapon in our arsenal they don't know about." Asuka then pointed to her head.

"We'll need any advantage we have. I am not going to have either of you or Touji hurt anymore."

"Brother, remember, don't do anything foolish," reminded Rei.

"Don't worry I know what I promised." He then did something new.
He gathered both girls, one in each arm, and walked them back to their home.

__________________________________________________________________ ______________________________

The walk home:

As the children, arm in arm walked to the street corner near the front of the apartment,
a large truck was heading down the street. Unknown to them, the truck driver was an agent of
a certain group who wanted the pilots injured or eliminated. He swung the truck,
which was going 50 miles an hour in the city street, and headed directly for them.
Without prompting and purely out of reflex, all three had put up and orange glowing wall in front of them.
The truck slammed into this A.T.Field and was brought to a sudden stop 5 feet from them.
All three had put their hands up and stared at the now demolished truck.
Then the wall faded and all three children fainted. Misato and Touji had run out
onto the balcony and saw the whole thing. Touji in particular,
seemed to have known what was happening as if he was seeing it through their eyes.
That's when he ran and grabbed Misato and headed for the balcony.
As Misato ran and called for Nerv security to send ambulances, Touji was far ahead of her
running to see what he could do to help his friends, especially a blue haired one now paramount in his mind.
_________________________________________________________________ _______________________________

The Geofront:

"The 14th angel has been sighted by ground based sensors on the surface,
while the 15th angel has been sighted by several satellites miles above the city."

"Well, call an general emergency and contact the pilots," said the Commander.

"Sir, all the pilots are heading in, ...but only Pilot Suzahara is available."

"What do you mean, Lt. Ibuki?" said a now stern Commander.

"Pilots Ikari, Ayanami, and Sohryu are injured, sir," replied Maya.

"How?" asked the Sub Commander.

"It seems that someone tried to run them over with a truck," said Doctor Ritsuko Akagi as she ran in to her station.

"The truck seems to have been stopped by an A.T. Field."

"What? How?" said the Sub-Commander.

"It seems that the pilots generated it. That might be the reason they passed out,
exerting all that energy to stop the truck," answered Doctor Ibuki.

"Where's the Major?" the Commander asked.

"She's with all the pilots now, they're making their way to the Geofront."

"Doctor, go down to meet them, revive the pilots, and have the Major up to her station.
Lt.Ibuki. have Unit-04's core prepped for Pilot Suzahara. Is that clear?" ordered the Commander.

"Yes, sir," came a unison reply from both women.

"Do you think they'll revive them in time?" asked a now worried Sub Commander.

"I hope they are, or all is lost," replied the Commander

"What about the pilots generating A.T. Fields?" Fuyutski asked.

"We will worry about that afterwards," was all the Commander said.

Will the pilots be revived in time, or will Touji, who has no real battle experience,
in a new and unstable Eva have to confront two Angels by himself?
And if they make it, what does Shinji have planned for his father? and for SEELE?
Next time, Chapter 11: Loss and Contemplation