Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Sibling Bonds ❯ Living on! ( Chapter 12 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimers:
Neon Genesis Evangelion and all related characters, concepts, etc. are
Property of ADVision and Gainax. I only *wish* they were mine.
Please try to be good to me; this is my first stab at an Evangelion "Only" Fic.
If you have read this whole fic, I do state now this is a waffy fic, with a bit of action as well!
Thanks to Andre Laval & Jon Cook for pre reading this chapter!

"" ""= A telepathic conversation.

()= A person's thoughts

Sibling Bonds

Chapter 12: Living on!

Will both Shinji and Touji return, or will one never come back?
How will Rei and Asuka cope as the slow process of waiting for?
Re-integration to succeed, will it drive them, and those around them nuts?
What about Kensuke? Is he breaching the emotional wall put up by a now shaken Maya?

Of Mothers, and Sons

In the haze that was the place both Touji and Shinji shared though not together.
Shinji had a revelation, of sorts remembering how his mother "Died"!
Then through various images not his own.
"Who's memories are these?" he said to himself as he was observing the images until he recognized them with a terrifying
Realization. These are ... my mother's memories! Mother, are you there, he asked hesitantly.
Then in front of him materialized a vary familiar figure, with short brown hair, and wearing a lab coat.

"MOTHER!"

Was all he said as he ran on an invisible surface to be caught in her arms?
"Oh Shinji, my baby! I have missed you so much!" was all Yui could convey as their reunion continued.

Touji was also finding himself in a familiar room, in a house he and his family lived in before moving to Tokyo-3.
"I know this place! This is the living room of our old house in Kobe!" was all he thought
As he suddenly heard a creaking sound.
He remembered that sound from when he was 8 years old when his mother rocked his infant sister to sleep.
He hesitantly turned around to see a woman of about 35 years old, long black hair smiling at him.
"Momma, i.i.is that you!?!?" Touji said nervously
She shook her had tears spilling out and down her cheeks as she held her arms open.
He hurdled towards her and finally landed on his knees as they hugged tightly.

"Oh Momma, I missed you so much!" he said as he cried freely. The last time he did was at her funeral.

"Oh my Touji-chan, I am so proud of you!" She smiled at him. "How you came up with that attack on that angel,
and helped you friend's, even though you two don't get along so well."

"Aw ma you making me embarrassed." said a red-faced Touji.

"That was so courageous my son, I hoped my help was enough for you to finish your mission." She looked down.
"But you ended up here instead." She hugged him again she now crying again more for the guilt she felt.

"What do you mean Ma, I did finish it. I landed and they collected my Eva and..." then he couldn't remember much else.
Why?"

He then looked at his mother, she was crying, hiding her face with her hands.

"Ma what's wrong?", she couldn't look at him.

"You and me are together now right, you can come back and...." Then he remembered how he came here.

"We're in my Eva ... right?" he asked hesitantly. She silently nodded yes.

"Then the presence I felt in my entry plug, ... that was you wasn't it?" he looked at her eyes yearning for a reply.

"Yes, my little Touji. I have been here since Unit-04 came to Tokyo-3." she replied.

"Then you know of what happened with Unit-03, right?" he asked.

Ashia Suzahara said "Yes, that's one of the reasons Unit-04's core was replaced..."

"...With Unit-03's. With you Ma?" Touji finished.

They both looked down knowing that this moment with each other was not going to last.
Both knew that Touji had to return. So, Ashia then asked a question most others would ask.

"So who is that quiet blue haired girl I've seen in your memories?
And the other one, with the freckles and brown pig tail hair ?"

"Hey how can you see what's in my head Ma?" Asked a surprised Touji.

"Ha, I see your taking after your father in the common sense department!" She sighed, shaking her head.

"Huh?" He asked. Ashia sweatdropped and sighed again.

"Since the Eva has to sync with you, I sync with you, got it my thick headed son!" She ruffled his hair.

"Oooohhh, Now I got it. Hey then you can see what I think about ..." His face turned blood red in seconds.
Mooom, Pleeeaassee!

She laughed. "Oh it's Ok to have those thoughts. I mean you are a teen age boy!"
"Please stop it Mom!" He was now at her feet covering his head with his arms trying in vain to hide.

"Touji, you still haven't told me about those girls? They both seem very quiet, and cute." She said.
Touji finally came up for air and answered her.

"Rei is Shinji's sister, and the pilot of Eva Unit-00, while Hikari's our class Rep."

"You mean Rei pilot's Akagi's Eva?" Ashia asked with concern.

Mom, Dr. Akagi is in charge of the Evas, so I suppose it can be said to be her Evas, and..."

He was hit on the back of the head.
"You're in Daddy mode again. Listen Touji. Since each Eva has a human soul in it,
that means that someone died to have her soul there." She said.

"Huh?" he got hit again!

"Touji, it's her mother's soul there." Then she added, "And all the Evas have their pilot's mother's soul in them!"
"So, that means that Dr. Akagi's mom is Rei's mom?" he said now holding his head waiting for another hit.
"Yes, and no, part of your girlfriend's DNA is from Shinji's Mom, Yui Ikari,
... but it had to be supplemented with someone else's!

Touji then asked, "So, Dr. Akagi's mom had to add some of her own.?"

"Yes, ... among others." Aisha replied. Both sat in silence taking in the new and revealing information.

"Mom you said you wanted to know about Rei, yet you already do. Why are you telling me this?"

"Because even though I see in you memories that she is a nice and kind person to you,
she isn't totally a natural person." Ashia was now nervous as Touji said,
"Ma, I don't care about that. I pilot the Eva to keep Mara safe, To keep Hikari safe, ... and to protect Rei.
I don't care where she came from, I just know that I can't see her hurt, OK!" He had gotten louder as he spoke.

His Mom smiled. "Well you seem to have made up your mind about her haven't you." Ashia said

"Then why did you tell me this stuff about her past?" he asked.

"Because I know about your mind link, and when you get back,
you have to tell the other pilots about the truth."
she said. "The truth that their mother's souls are in their Evas...."

"So we can figure out how to get you guys out after this war is over?" he said excitedly.
She stood up holding him by his shoulders. She took a deep breath.
"Touji, we aren't going to get out of the Evas." Touji's eyes went wide with grief.

She looked him in the eyes sympathetically, as he realized what she was saying.
"NO,NO,NO! I just found you ... I can't lose you again, ...I can't ... I just can't!"
She held her weeping son and did what all mothers do when their children are hurt,
she held him patted him, and comforted him because she knew this wouldn't last much longer.

________________________________________________________________ ______________________

Another Reunion

Shinji was having a similar conversation with his mother, when he had an idea.
"Mom, I will not have my friends continue to be hurt by my father's plans!" he said.

"Shinji, I agree with you, ... but your father is one to have taken everything into account."
Yui reminded him.

"Mom, you know of our link, and our powers that are manifesting themselves. Can you tell me what you know of this?"
asked Shinji in a tone reminiscent of his father.
Yui sighed. She was afraid that Shinji would eventually turn out to be like his father in trying to help his friends and thwart
Gendo's plans. She grabbed him and looked him in the eyes.

"Shinji my son, please don't forget who you are. How kind and good you are, how generous and thoughtful of others you are.
Because the way your acting now",(She looked down on the ground, then back up to his face)
"it's as if you and your father are becoming .. more alike." she said in a concerned tone.
"Don't let revenge and hate cloud your judgment or how you treat others, please!" She pleaded.

That got Shinji's attention. "Mom, I'm ... sorry, but when there's a threat to my friends or those who I love,
I can't see straight sometimes."

"You mean Asuka, ...and Rei?" she said with a slight smile reminiscent of a blue haired pilot.
That brought a shudder from Shinji. "So, you know of my feelings for Asuka?"

"Shinji, I'm your mother, I sync with you every time you pilot Unit-01,
and I know exactly your feelings for Asuka." she smiled again and hugged her bewildered son.
"Now, as for Rei. I admire you for your wanting to protect you sister, but I don't think you know her true origins."
Two chairs and a table appeared.
They sat down, and continued. "Shinji, you know that Rei is my genetic clone, so that is why you consider her your sister.
And I would be proud to call her daughter," She sighed, "but, she is more than that!"
Yui then began to tell Shinji the secrets of One Rei Ayanami.

Some he did know, like the dummy plug, some he didn't hear before, like genetic connections to the second angel Lillith,
and her main mission, as prescribe by Gendo's scenario.
Finally her feelings on the additional data that Rei didn't just have two parents,
but three, with a minor DNA sampling from Naoko Akagi.
Yui was frowning when she was said that.

After they both calmed down they then formulated a plan using the Evas,
the pilot's link and inherited powers from their Evas. She also informed him of SEELE's plans.
They took that into account as well.
Then after a time to recollect some past memories and current intelligence, it was time for Shinji to go back.
"Well, is there any messages you want me to give anyone?" He asked his mother.
"Tell your sister, that I don't blame her" (About the dummy plug, or her origins),
"and tell her I was planning to have another baby when the accident happened."

She smiled and laughed, "and if it was a girl, I would have named her Rei." They both smiled.
"Now, I don't have to name her, because she's there now. Tell her I'm as proud of her as I am of you."
Shinji was happy at his mother's feelings for Rei.
"Anyone else?" he asked sill with a smile on his face.
Yui's featured noticeably darkened, "Remember to tell your father what I told you, at the appropriate time."
That was all Yui Ikari wanted to say about her husband , ...and his plans.

Finally Shinji knew it was time to say his good-byes to his mother.
"Mom I will miss you terribly, but the sooner we finish this, the better it will be for all of us," he hugged her for the last time.
"Oh my little boy is growing up so fast!" She teared up!" But I just wanted you to know I am proud of you, your sister,
and your friends. Know that I'll be there for you two, ... always!"
He knew she meant in the upcoming battles and hopefully if their plans go right, a new chance for Humanity to live!
Then a great pull started taking Shinji from his mother, she said one last thing,
"Remember, Dream in the Eva, and all we discussed will become clear."
Shinji nodded to his mother as they waved good-bye as the mists slowly closed up and around their receding forms.

_________________________________________________________________ _____________________

A Visit to a Little Girl

Rei had been visiting the room of one Mara Suzahara from the time Touji had been immobilized in his Eva.
Though at first it was a mostly one-sided conversation.
Surprisingly it was Rei who spoke as Mara had not woken up from her last operation.
It occurred the day of the battle and the comatose little girl had little to do but lie there.

Rei, informed that those in a coma could still hear those around them,
surmised that if she spoke to the little girl, she might help her out of the coma.
So, Rei gave the girl a daily verbal report of Touji's predicament, and the daily process to release him from his Eva.
Rei observed several tears from Mara when she first told her of Touji's situation.
Rei, then thought of the times she was sad, and how at first Shinji, then Touji had helped her.
So, she hesitantly took the little girls hand in her own and held it firmly, but gently.
She then talked about all of her experiences with Mara'a brother.
Of how he had maintained a rough and tough athletic persona, but in truth, he was a caring and gentleperson who cared for
those close to him, of how he became closer to her through their friendship with Shinji, then their piloting Eva.
Of how he tried to comfort her through the 12th angel, and of how she had first had the hints of her feelings for him.
As Rei went on she saw a change in the little girl.
Gone was the silent tears and slight frown, instead Mara was quiet and had a slight upturn on her lips.
Rei took this as a confirmation of her earlier hypothesis, an she squeezed Mara's hand
and promised to come and see her daily until Touji was released from his Eva.
She kept her promise!

Another Visitor

________________________________________________________________ ______________________

Mara also had another regular visitor, Hikari Horaki. She had regularly visited the comatose girl since her accident, and only
noticed the arrivals and departures of Rei Ayanami since Touji's accident. Thought Mara didn't react enough for Hikari to notice
at first, it seemed that as time went on ,she noticed a slight improvement, but ever since Rei started visiting, Hikari saw
movements and slight quivers in Mara's face. She knew that Rei had a positive affect on the little girl.
She was happy for her, but at the same time she knew back before the battle, that there was something now
between Touji and the enigmatic Rei.
She started to see it at school, and later on when the friends were out in a group.
It seemed that Rei, Touji, Shinji, and Hikari were communicating in some way. Like a silent conversation,
with the appropriate facial movements a conversation would have, except ... there was no words spoken between them
Kensuke had also noticed this when they were all together.
Though Rei had become a friend in as much as the girl could be, she noticed that Rei was becoming more open towards Touji.
Then came the double angel attack, and Shinji and Touji's apparent hospitalization.
That in itself wasn't unusual, but the unavailability of the boys to visits, and Rei and even Asuka being so closed lipped about it
caused Hikari and Kensuke to become concerned, and a bit peeved at being left in the dark.
So, when it came to visiting Mara, Hikari always seemed to miss Rei who was there before her, or had just left after her.
Each had avoided each other mostly by way of Rei knowing that Hikari always visited Touji's sister right after school.
Rei always waited around a corner, in a hallway down the hall from Mara's room.
This dual visiting went on for the first week of Shinji and Touji's forced Exile in their Evas.
Then, one day Hikari was late for her visit due to an after school class representative's meeting with the administration.

Hikari walked in and saw Rei, holding Mara's hand, and a slight glow emanating from their hands.
Hikari was frozen on the spot as she witnessed whatever Rei was doing. But her gasp alerted Rei's keen hearing.
"Hikari-chan, I hope I did not startle you" The class rep. simply nodded and then gathered her strength and courage
and slowly walked into the room and sat down on a chair on the other side of Mara.
For a few minutes there was a defining silence, ... until Hikari said:
"I like to thank you for helping Mara to recover." Hikari looked at Rei
"I don't know how you are helping her or why, but just the same thank you!"
Rei looked at her stoically and then nodded.
"Hikari-chan, can you walk with me when we leave here. I need to talk to you ... about Touji-chan's condition."
Hikari was floored not just that Rei asked her after so long to walk and obviously talk to her, but that she used Chan when
speaking of Touji, this was beginning to give Hikari a bad feeling in her stomach, but for her friends sake she accepted,
and after a few more minutes visiting with Mara, the two girls said their good-byes to the little girl
and walked out of the hospital room.

__________________________________________________________________ ____________________

A walk with a friend

The same overhang, the one that Rei found Shinji on so long ago, the one he and she had shared many sunsets.
The place where they discovered their connection to each other. The place where Touji first comforted her.
Where Asuka and her contemplated the boys' situations, the place where she knew she had to talk to Hikari.
This was where she brought her friend, the other girl who had feelings for Touji Suzahara.

As the girls sit down to watch the sunset, they first discuss how Asuka is doing and
how they agree to coordinate their efforts to keep her busy while Shinji recovers.
Then the conversation turns to Touji with a question from Rei.

"When did you first meet Touji-chan, Hikari-chan?" Rei asked in her usual tone.

Hikari looked at her then out to the slowly darkening cityscape.
"I had met him in elementary school, when we both lived in Tokyo-2.
Our parents had been working for Geherin, then Nerv, since oh about 10 years ago." Hikari sighed.
"How old where you when you met?"
Hikari answered, "We both were five years old, and I had been the class rep even then, and I always had to yell at Touji almost
everyday for his playing in class, and doing the things most little boys do." Rei asked what little boys did, Hikari then went into a
Descriptions of some of the most common behavior most five-year-old boys do to mostly five-year old girls.

"When did you develop feelings for him?" Rei being who she is was still as blunt as always.
"You sure go straight to the point, don't you Rei?" Hikari stated, while Rei simply nodded. "Please, answer."
"Ok, Probably after fifth grade when some older boys had tried to bother me and some other girls in the playground."
Hikari sighed then continued." He was the only boy our age who challenged the three older boys to stop bothering us.
Well, they laughed at him and started to mock him and chastise him for defending us.
Then when of them tried to grab me, he went berserk."

"Do you mean by berserk, losing his temper and striking at the three assailants," Rei asked?

Yeah, he had all three on the ground with bruises and cuts within about a minute.
Those bullies ran away and he became sort of a hero to us and he has always kept an eye out for all the girls
he sees and tries to protect them when he can."

Rei then becomes quiet. Hikari notices the slightly hurt look Rei had in her eyes.
"Rei, are you ok?" asked Hikari.

"Hikari-chan, do you love Touji-chan?" from the stoic girl came the question she was dreading the most
.
"Why do you want to know Rei?" Hikari asked hesitantly, not knowing how Rei's answer will affect her.

After another minute of Rei's contemplation, she answered,
" I think I do love him, but I really don't know what ...kind of love it is I have for him.
I just know that when he was hurt, you know with the black Eva,
I couldn't keep from thinking that I almost lost, my protector, my friend.
I was so happy to find him alive, even if he would have lost and arm or a leg,
I still would have been happy to have him alive." Hikari was now silently cried.

"I also would be happy to have him back." Rei said. Hikari looked at her oddly.
"What do you mean Rei? Look, I know you have feelings for Touji too, but what do you mean happy to have him back?"

"Isn't he at Nerv's Infirmary?" Rei looked at her friend, then out to the now lighted city.
"What I am about to tell you ...is classified. For your own safety, you can not tell anyone, especially Kensuke."
Hikari shook her head yes to confirm her understanding Rei's statement..
She then did something that surprised Hikari. Rei took one of Hikari's hands in hers.

"Touji and Shinji had an accident after battling the Dual angels.
The best way to explain it to you is to say that Shinji was simply
taken into the Eva's Core, physically and Mentally, while Touji's mind is now one with his Eva."
Rei looked for any reactions from Hikari, silence and a shocked look was what she observed. She knew that the students in class
2-A were by design the spare pilots for any future Evas if more were needed.
So most were above average in intelligence, and Hikari being one, took little time to realize what happened to Shinji, ...and Touji.
She then grabbed with both hands Rei's.

"Will they be all right?"

Rei looked down after Hikari's question, looking at their clasped hands.
"I do not know."
She looked up to her friends' face then she said,
"I come here sometime with Asuka, sometimes by myself to think, and hope that they both will return.
But, Even I cannot say if the will return, ... or not."
Then Hikari knowing how she felt over this news, grabbed Rei and hugged her fiercely. She started to cry and wail.
Slowly and hesitantly, Rei stiffly brought her arms around her friend and tried to comfort her friend, trying to reciprocate
Hikari as the girl continued to hug the first child.
Then after a few minutes, Hikari stopped crying and they kept one arm around
each other as the sun finally set leaving the sky with the various stars that can be seen
while Tokyo-3 glowed below them.

As the girls walked back to their homes, they continue to talk;
"It is time for dinner. I had promised Asuka that I would pick up our meal tonight."
Rei said as she got up breaking the hug from Hikari.
"Don't worry, Rei, lets stop at the local grocery and I'll make something for you Asuka,
and will Misato be there?"
"I do believe she will be there tonight." Rei said back in her standard stoic mode.
"Ok, then we'll have stir fry vegetables, with Chicken Teriyaki."
"I don't eat meat, Hikari-chan."
"Then we'll get more veggies for you. Now let's go. I'll just have to call my Dad,
and tell him Kazuma will have to cook for him and my sister."
"I did not want you to be away from you family, I can do this myself and..."
"No, Rei-chan, I think this situation, we three are in now, with Shinji's, and Touji's situation,
well I think we all have to stick together and help each other."

Rei then asked, "Why are you not objecting to my feelings for Touji-chan. Asuka would have become physically aggressive."
Well, Rei, I see it this way. When Touji comes back, then well see how we feel about him, and how he feels about us.
I still want to be friends with you, so I will wait until we know from him who he likes. Do you understand, Rei."
Rei looked at her friend, and nodded with a slight smile. "Thank you Hikari-chan, I accept your friendship, and will await with
you for Shinji, and Touji's return."
The girls then turned towards Misato's apartment knowing their rekindled friendship will last, even after Touji's return.

Back in the Eva's Realm, Touji refused to let go of his mother.

________________________________________________________________ ______________________

Recovery Attempted

As their efforts continued with Unit -01 Rei sat in the observation area above the Eva cages with Hikari, given special permission
by Misato to be there, to help Asuka, and Rei get through this, as well as to be there for Shinji ... for Touji!
She had finally been briefed under a secrecy order by Misato. Rei had told her earlier in the week of her conversation with
Hikari, and Misato had made the suggestion to have them both there when the attempt at the extraction's commenced.

So, with hushed breaths the three girls looked down at the activity below as several technicians, made all their systems ready
under the close supervision Of Lt. Maya Ibuki, and Dr. Ritsuko Akagi.

As the attempt was made first with Unit-01, The girls observed, and through an audio feed heard the comment and conversations
being made as they started.
every thing seemed to be going as planned when;

Maya states, "Ego border pulse has been connected."
Roger. Begin salvage operation." replied Ritsuko. Makoto then adds, "Roger. Signal-1 is sent."
Followed by Shigeru. "Eva received the signal." Maya continues. "Now, signal-2 and signal-3 are sent." Makoto nods, "condition
normal."

A Female Tech adds, "Destrude isn't detected. (Wadakun: 'Destrude' isn't true)"
Ritsuko commences, "Roger. Move the target to stage-2."
Misato sighs, "Shinji-kun. Maya is alarmed! "No good. His ego border is in a fixed loop."

Ritsuko orders, "Try to radiate all wave patterns from all directions. No! The radiated signals are captured in Klein space."
"What do you mean?" Asked a now nervous Misato.
Ritsuko turned to face her old friend, "I mean ... failure."
"What?" Now shouted Misato in alarm! Asuka, then Hikari and Rei stand up from their seats
in the observation area, and lean on the Plexiglas to see if they can what is happening.
Ritsuko commanded, "Stop the interference. Reverse the tangent graph.
Set the addition value to 0."

"Yes, sensei." Maya replied as passively as possible, ... to hide her nervousness.
Shigeru then reported, "In Q area, Destrude reaction is detected. Pattern is sepia."
Makoto added, "Some changes detected in the core pulse. Plus 3 is confirmed."
Maya then added, "The water temperature is getting higher, Mam!
Ritsuko said, "Maintaining the present condition is the top priority issue. Prevent flow-back."
A Male Tech, "The internal approaching work. Over the predicted value. It's going into the danger zone."

"Yes. Plus 0,5, 0,8. It's strange. I can't stop it." This frustrated Maya highly.
Ritsuko said quietly "What does it mean?
Don't you want to come back, Shinji-kun?"

Maya states, "Eva rejected the signal." Asuka then takes off to head down to the area in the Eva cages where Misato, Ritsuko, and
Maya are! Hikari tries to follow, but is grabbed, by Rei who shakes her head. Getting the hint, Hikari then heads back to the
window's edge to see what she can.

Shigeru said, "His ego formation in the LCL is breaking up."
Makoto added, "Pressure is increasing in the plug."
Ritsuko yelled, "Stop all operations. Cut the power supply."
Maya winced, "No good. The plug has activated."
Misato calls out now crying,
"Shinji-kun!"
Asuka is now standing next to her roommate and guardian.
Misato, with her hands on her face (wailing) "What good is science if it can't save even one person. Give back Shinji-kun! Give
him back..."

Asuka turned to the purple Bio mechanoid. (Shouting at the Eva)
"SHINJI-KUN!" She was now shedding tears!
"I want him back you bucket of Bolts, I must have him back! YOU HEAR ME!!"

Then a bright light consumed the area just in front of Unit-01!
As those there adjusted to blindness caused by the sudden light there was a loud thump heard
and there only a few feet from Misato and Asuka , ... lay a naked and unconscious Shinji Ikari!

"SHINJI!" Cried Misato and Asuka in unison. Both then ran to the naked boy.

Within a few minutes and several EMT's wrenching Shinji from Misato
and Asuka's hugs they all started to head to the Nerv Infirmary.
As they made their way out, Asuka looked back up to her friends in the observation area.
Both Hikari, and yes Rei had smiles on their faces, Hikari also was crying. Happy for her friends.
Then Asuka sent a message to Rei.

"" He's going to be OK Rei. He looks ok other than he knocked out!. ""

"" Did you try to contact him telepathically, Asuka? "" Rei asked.

Asuka put her hands up."" Yeah, right after he got here, he's seems to be knocked out there as well! ""

"" All right, we will stay here and await Touji's return "" Rei then raised her had to her friend below, she then returned the
gesture and then tapped her forehead. "" Tell me when that Dumkoph arrives! ""

"" I will , my friend. Please keep an eye on my brother. "" Rei nodded at the now retreating Asuka
as they left the Eva cages.

Rei let out a sigh as she then proceeded to the exit leading to the Eva cages.
"where are you going?" Hikari asked. Rei looked around at her friend.
" Since Asuka's presence seemed to have made a difference with Shinji-kun's return,
I will go down to the Eva cages to help Touji-chan's return." Hikari looked intently at her retreating friend.
"Do you think they would let me down there. Maybe I can help too."
Hikari was anxious, but her worries were averted when Rei walked back to her
and grabbed her hand and led her to the exit. Without words, the two friends continued their walk.

The Procedures were repeated again, ... with similar results.

"Sempai, It's happening again, only this time the Ego border isn't matching with the physical body."
Maya was frantically typing on her keyboard as she waited for Ritsuko's response.
"It seems that his soul is being held back somehow. As though someone doesn't want him to return."

Touji had not let go of his mother since he knew he would only leave when he did.
"TOUJI, TOUJI Snap out of it!" Aisha held her wrenching son while she endured the vice like hold he had on her.
She turned his face drenched with theirs to hers.
"Listen to me my son, I can sense that both of them are out there waiting for you, don't you want to be there with them ,with
your friends, can't you see that if you stay here you won't stay with me!"
Touji caught the meaning of his mother's words. "What, what do you mean Ma?" Touji asked through his tears.
She smiled crying silent tears as she answered.
"Only one soul can inhabit an Eva's core, eventually, one of the souls will dissipate."
Touji looked down and then up to his mothers caring face. He started to stop crying,
and slowly straightened up and had now sat next to his mother both still holding each other.
"Do you now understand my son?" Aisha now looked at her son to see his reaction.
Touji simply nodded his head. "I am going to mmmissss you momma!"
he erupted in tears knowing that he would not see his mother again. To reassure him Asiha told him;
"When you are in your Eva, and you sync with it, you will feel me and my love for you My little Touji.
So, remember that, and what I have told you.. Can you do that for me my son?"
The shared a final hug and then they both started to disappear to each other, both mouthing
"I Love you, Mama/Touji".

The Plug is discharging it's LCL and ejecting, Sempai!" Maya was on the virge of tears.
Then the sound of flushing LCL was heard and The plug ejected.

"NNOOOOO!" was all that could be heard as two girls held each other realizing what had just happened!
Hikari was wailing and was barely held up by Rei who was struggling with her distraught friend and her own feelings.
Then as she motioned a now quiet Maya to come to her she handed her friend to her and started to climb up the catwalk to
Unit-04 Plug.
"Rei? Where are you going?" Ritsuko called after the girl, who simply ignored her and when the plug door
opened she simply climbed in and then shut the door!
"Maya, Get me video and audio feed to Unit-04 entry plug NOW!"
Ritsuko simply didn't know what Rei was planning to do, but
she sure was going to find out!

Rei saw the still body of Touji Suzahara, and for one of the few times in her life gasped in fright.
Fear that came from a realization, that Touji was for all intents and purposed, limp, not breathing,
and for all intents and purposes ... dead.
Rei went to Touji's body and set herself on his's lap, then concentrated and stared preparing for what she planned to do.
Maya, after putting the sobbing Hikari in a chair next to her had finally gotten the A/V feed online.
What was shown stunned all three women.

"Maya ,take Hikari to the Infirmary now!" Ritsuko said firmly.
"But, Sempai, I..."
"Do it Now, Maya!" Ritsuko then smiled at her assistant, then put a hand on her shoulder and squeezed.
"Please." Maya nodded and quietly led a still stunned Hikari out of the Eva cage area,

Ritsuko then stoically turned back to what the monitor saw.

There glowing in a bluish-white light surrounded Rei's body as she straddled Touji and wrapped her arms around
his now slack shoulders.
Ritsuko then zoomed in and saw the concentration evident in Rei's face.
Rei seemed to be trying to cover Touji with her enveloping light.
It then seemed to glow different colors as if the Entry plug was going through a start-up sequence of the ...Eva?

"Now I know what she's doing!" Ritsuko smiled at the girls ingenuity, ... and also at her tenacity.
"Well Rei," Ritsuko said to herself, "it seems that you really care for this boy as much as your brother."
Then it hit Ritsuko, "I won't tell Gendo about this and I'll see where this might lead."
Ritsuko had gotten tired of the relationship she had with the Commander,
and had simply evaded him with valid work related issues.
Now this comes along, and like a tickle in the back of her head
she knew this knowledge would prove useful ... later on.

In another part of The Geofront two people were also concentrating one just back from the void called Eva
and the other happy to have him back.
Together, Shinji Ikari and Asuka Langley Souryu sent whatever energy they could to their link mate Rei Ayanami.
They all concentrated on bringing Touji back from the Eva. It took all of their efforts.
Then they both slipped into unconsciousness.

Finally a final bright flash and then Dr. Akagi saw Rei collapse on the body of Touji Suzahara.
"Damn, I got so caught up in my own thoughts that I wasn't alert to what was happening.
I better check on Rei and see what I'll have to do next."

As she reopened the entry plug, Ritsuko expected to see a passed out Rei on a dead Touji.
But assumptions aren't all they're cracked up to be. She did see a passed out Rei, ... but a now breathing Touji Suzahara!
"What the hell?"
Then, she called for two gurneys Stat, as she recovered from the shock of the dead coming back to life.
She smiled as she accompanied the two unconscious pilots towards the Nerv Infirmary.
"Well, Rei, you are making my life more interesting." She thought to herself as she enters the Infirmary's emergency room, with
a smirk on her face.
_________________________________________________________________ _____________________

A Quiet Interlude

In a typical hospital room in Most countries, well at least most civilized countries,
when you enter a patient's room either there is some activity, like a TV set on,
or someone checking on a conscious or unconscious patient.
Here in Nerv's infirmary, not much is different especially other than they have in one room
Humanity's last chance to defend against the angels all four Evangelion Pilots unconscious and seemingly helpless.
Then a silent individual came into that same room, quietly closing the rooms' door.
That man made his way and slowly closed the distance to one of those pilots.
The figure then took something out of his pocket, The glint from his glasses highlighted the object as being a syringe.
The figure then took the unconscious blue headed girls' arm, ready to shoot whatever liquid into Rei Ayanami's arm.
" I am truly sorry Rei, for the pain I'm about to cause you, but it is for the best, you will be reborn again,
with a fresh and single perspective, you original and unchanging reason for being."!
Then Gendo Ikari rammed the syringe down towards Rei's exposed Arm!
__________________________________________________________________ ____________________

Chapter 13. Wins, and Losses

The 16th angel attacks and it's results are hard to take!

Will their mother's influence have an affect on the pilot's relationships.
How will The 16th Angel's attack affect the pilots,
and who may be sacrificed by Gendo to keep his scenario on track.