Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Sibling Bonds ❯ Wins and Losses ( Chapter 13 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimers:
Neon Genesis Evangelion and all related characters, concepts, etc. are
Property of ADVision and Gainax. I only *wish* they were mine.
Please try to be good to me; this is my first stab at an Evangelion "Only" Fic.
If you have read this whole fic, I do state now this is a Waffy fic, with a bit of action as well!
Thanks to Jon Cook and John Brown for pre reading this chapter!
** Just a warning, this will have a bit more Sci-Fi elements in this chapter.
They're needed for the story to continue, and please remember, this is an A/U story.

"" ""= a telepathic conversation.

( )= a person's thoughts

Sibling Bonds

Chapter # 13: Wins and Losses

A Quiet Attempt

In a typical hospital room in Most countries, well at least most civilized countries,
when you enter a patient's room either there is some activity, like a TV set on,
or someone checking on a conscious or unconscious patient.
Here in Nerv's infirmary, not much is different especially other than they have in one room
Humanity's last chance to defend against the angels all four Evangelion Pilots unconscious and seemingly helpless.
Then a silent individual came into that same room, quietly closing the rooms door.
That man made his way and slowly closed the distance to one of those pilots.
The figure then took something out of his pocket, The glint from his glasses highlighted the object as being a syringe.
The figure then took the unconscious blue headed girls' arm, ready to shoot what ever liquid into Rei Ayanami's arm.
" I am truly sorry Rei, for the pain I'm about to cause you, but it is for the best, you will be reborn again,
with a fresh and single perspective, you original and unchanging reason for being."!
Then Gendo Ikari rammed the syringe down towards Rei's exposed Arm!

Just as the syringe was to pierce Rei's skin an AT- field appeared and simply evaporated the instrument.
Then, violently Gendo Ikari found himself moving through the air ... until he met the wall on the opposite end of the room.
As He cleared his head and slowly got up he continued going vertical when someone grasped his collar and ended up a foot off the ground. Gendo then looked down and saw one Touji Suzahara with a murderous look in his eyes.

"You so much as look at Rei funny, and I'll make sure you go through that wall and ten more, ... understand!"
Gendo looked as calmly as a man could in his particular situation. He simply, and calmly said,
Pilot Suzahara, put me down." Not even apologizing for anything he was caught doing by the teenage pilot.
"Why you Bastard, ok, you'll see where you'll and Now!"

"No. Please stop, Touji-chan." was all an awakened Rei said.

"But, Rei-chan, he ... he tried to prick you with some drug or poison. Who knows what it was?"

"I think he now knows not to "try something" as you said. "as we all have some form of defense now."
Grudgingly, Touji let go of the Commander's collar, and allowed him to head towards the door.

"Please be reminded of this Lesson Commander, I would hate for things to happen during a battle with an angel."
Rei then walked up beside a still fuming Touji and wrapped her arm around his waist.
Silently she got her point across to the now glaring Commander as Touji put an arm around her shoulders
as Gendo got up off the floor he sat on and limping slightly, left the room while still glaring at the two pilots..
He knew now what he had to do.

"Thanks, Rei-chan, I was on the verge of making him a battering ram through the Infirmary's walls."

"It would not have served our purpose for the Commander to met his demise now. Remember the plan, Touji-kun."
After several more minutes, Asuka, and Shinji awoke and were informed of Gendo's attempt on Rei's life.
They then mentally carried on a conversation so as not to tip off any listening or monitoring devices
that were probably located in the hospital room they were in.

""So, our glorious Commander is scared of Rei, and now probably us!"" thought Asuka.

""It is obvious that he now knows about our powers."" Rei answered telepathically

Shinji then pointed out, ""But he doesn't know of all our powers."" he pointed to his forehead.

"Oh yeah, Head talking!" said Touji chuckled, who then got a mental, slap from a now fuming Asuka.

""Dummkoph, Don't think out loud, think in you head!"" He then got a slap on the back of his head.

""Ok, ok, I'll remember, Jeez you don't have to be such a bbii....... pain!"" he replied telepathically.

After calming down his two friends, Shinji continued their telepathic conversation

""All right you two, listen, we need to go somewhere that isn't so ... public."" said Shinji as he pointed to a slight dark spot in the room's Ceiling, containing a micro-camera and mic.

Touji then mentally smirked and signaled, ""Hey, I know where!"" then mentally explained just where they could continue their conversation.

_______________________________________________________ _______________________________

Friends, left out!

As the pilots conferred in private about their plans, two of their friends were in the waiting room of Nerv's Infirmary sitting and wanting to see them. Kensuke Aida and Hikari Horaki sat next to each other. If one were to notice each had their hands entwined between them, and both looked nervous.

What startled them out of their haze was the somewhat disheveled form Of the Nerv Supreme Commander awkwardly walking by them headed toward the floor's elevator. After the wake up call only Kensuke commented on the site.
"Now that you don't see everyday." Hikari silently nodded affirmatively, then looked back to see where the head of Nerv had come from. she then had a thought,
"Did you notice, he came out of the Pilot's hospital room, and they way he looked, maybe something happened."

"You, know, he did. Let's check to see if they're OK." Kensuke then got up still hand in hand with Hikari.
"Why?" Hikari asked.
"From what I got from Shinji, his father is low enough to try something. Let's check to make sure, OK?"
Ken then started walking towards the room, Hikari quietly following.

When they got there, they gasped, as they saw a bluish/white glow around all four children.
Though they said nothing, it was obvious to Kensuke and Hikari that all four pilots were in some sort of telepathic conversation.
Both felt left out , but since the earlier meeting they had together, they had understood it.
"Hey, guys, wanna let us in on the info.?" Was all Kensuke said to get their undivided attention.
""Maybe we should tell him!"" Touji mentally said.
""Don't you remember what Shinji said about bugs in the room, moron?" Asuka thought at Touji forcefully.
""I didn't see any roaches or ants in dis room! What cha talkin about?"" Touji so innocently asked.
""What Asuka meant was the electronic monitoring devices within this room."" answered Rei to cut off any more discussion.
Then the four pilots looked at their two friends as Kensuke motioned to his head and nodding it as recognition of his ability to hear their conversation.

Shinji then asked, mentally, ""Wait, Kensuke, Hikari, ... if you can hear us, raise two fingers on your right hand."" They complied.
Then Shinji concentrated and it appeared that he disappeared from everyone.
"Shin-chan where are you?" Asuka said out loud.
""I'm still here, Asuka, ... just trying out a theory."" He then appeared across the room next to Hikari and Kensuke.
They jumped and gasped as he appeared next to them.
"Damn Shinji, you sure know how to scare someone!" Kensuke said between getting his breath back,
while Hikari hugged the scared Otaku.
Shin-man, how'd ja do dat?" Touji asked.

""Listen, I'll show you how to do this, and then we can sneak out with Hikari and Kensuke when they leave.""

""But how'd you figure it out?"" Asuka asked.

""Remember, when Kensuke showed us he could hear our mental conversations, I got a feeling that I wanted him and Hikari to hear us. Then after we found that out, I simply concentrated some more and basically fed an image to you all of the room without me in it."" Shinji then did it again, and disappeared. A few seconds later he appeared and tickled Asuka on her sides.
"YYYyyyaahhhh, stop that Baka," was A smiling Asuka's response to Shinji's actions.
"But wouldn't the video devices hidden here pick up your disappearing act?" asked Kensuke.
"Not when they were having video trouble as we speak." Shinji replied.
"The audio devices as well, Shinji-kun?" asked Rei passively
"Of course, now lets get our stuff and get dressed, girls will take the bathrooms and well dress here. I'll keep concentrating so they will continue to have A/V problems."" They all needed and Rei, Asuka ad Hikari entered the bathroom, while the Shinji and Touji changed while Kensuke kept an eye at the room's door.

It took about 10 more minutes for them to change, and for Shinji to explain to the pilots how to manipulate images in people minds.
Rei and Asuka understood relatively well, but it took Touji abit longer to get the technique.
Then, the pilots then fed an image of all four of them asleep, as Shinji lifted the interference from the A/V bugs in the room.
They made their way out of the hospital, headed to the outskirts of the city. Following Touji's idea, they headed to the Tokyo-3 cemetery. On the way they dropped off Hikari, then Kensuke in their homes. What they didn't know is that they would be moving sooner than they ever thought.

________________________________________________________________ ______________________

Grave site Meeting

But now they had reached their destination without being noticed.
It took till the next day for their contingent of Section 2 agents to find them.
By then, the pilots were in a trance like state, sitting crosslegged, encircled, and facing each other quietly.
Those observing them saw all four pilots not moving with their eyes closed and obviously concentrating.

Then suddenly Rei falls backwards as Asuka and Shinji, still with their eyes shut, grab onto Touji who is shaking almost convulsively.
As they steady the fourth child, still concentrating, just as suddenly as it started, Rei bolts upright, Touji stops convulsing, and Shinji and Asuka let Touji go and all are back on sitting positions as if nothing had happened.

The footage of the incident was forwarded to The Commander and the Section 2 agents continued to observe
the children for about another twenty minutes, then suddenly, they simply disappeared!
The Section 2 agents were again scratching their heads trying to figure out how they pilots were pulling this off.

What had happened was Shinji learning how to manipulate the minds of those people he wanted.
Where did he learn this, from the 15th angel and how it tried to attack them. With them sharing their minds,
Shinji was able to see how the 15th angel had sifted through Asuka's mind, and then when Kensuke and Hikari
acknowledged they could hear their mental conversation, it clicked in Shinji's mind how to do it.
Shinji then used a one thousandth of one percent of his AT-field to scramble the electronic signals in the room.

Section 2 agents finally caught up with the wayward pilots finding them on a rail train headed for their apartment.
The only real change that the agents reported was that the pilots all seemed very tired with the girls in their boyfriends embrace, napping as the boys stayed awake to keep an eye on which station to get off on.
The pilots were finally observed arriving at their apartment building and were observed entering their apartment.
They pilots enjoyed a full nights sleep and went back to their routine after that day.
But the next Angel would changed things for them, for Nerv, and for Tokyo-3!

________________________________________________________________ ______________________

A Final Choice

The 16th angel headed over the beach near Tokyo-3, headed for the Geo-front.
As it made it's way to the embattled city, it's four guardians were manned, but only two were allowed to sortie.
"What the hell is this crap!" yelled a furious Touji as Units-01 and 03 were in lock down mode and worse,
surrounded in Bakalite.
"Cut off A/V Transmission from Unit-03, and send Units -00 and 02 to the surface." ordered the Commander.
(Well fourth child, how does it feel to be helpless!) thought a now smirking Gendo Ikari hidden behind his entwined hands.
But Gendo wasn't happy, due to the fact that the children hadn't shown him all their new powers, so he had to force the issue,
plus it also got rid of the annoyance that was the current Rei Ayanami.

As Unit-00 and 02 made their separate ways to the surface, both pilots mentally checked with each other and their angry male counterparts one final time before they hit the surface.

When both finished their trips they saw the angel, shaped like a ribbonlike circle in the sky hovering there, spinning in mid air.
Before both could move it struck by breaking itself from a circle and shot it self towards the nearest Eva,... Unit-02!

But, before the angel made physical contact with a startled Asuka un Unit-02, Rei put herself in front of it and the angel made contact and started to infect Unit-00 and Rei. Due to the Sync between pilot and Eva everything that the Unit experienced the pilot did too.
So, as the angel infected and started to try to take control on the Eva, ... and it's pilot.
Mentally both girls were crying! Asuka for her inability to act fast enough, Rei for the shear pain she was experiencing as the angel infected more and more of her and her Eva.

While this Was going on Touji and Shinji knew what was happening through their mental link to the girls.
Then it became worse, The angel whipped it's other end and hit Unit-02 in it's mid-section, where it started to infect that unit!
Gendo Ikari, seeing this, Hid a smile behind his hands thinking that now the children had to show some of their new found powers.
Why would he want to know this? If he knew what they could do, those powers could be used to further his scenario.

Then, as he saw the two girls go through the agony of being taken over as well as the visuals of both male pilots making threats,
he made his move. "Release Unit-01 and 03 from lockdown, and direct them to the angel."
Misato, who was standing there in agony as the girls were being invaded, snapped the orders out to get the two Evas to the surface as soon as possible.

Within 30 seconds and with the help of two angry pilots both units made their way to the surface.
As they walked cautiously, they still heard the cries and screams of pin emanating from their loves.
Mentally they both sent whatever thoughts of love and comfort they could,
while they received the girls feelings of anger, pain and fear. Fear at the possibility of what they would have to do if they could not defeat this particular angel.

As Units-01 and 03 circled the angel and the downed Evas, Shinji and Touji were mentally planning how to fight this peculiar angel.
Then Shinji figured out something. If the angel succeeded in taking over both the girl's Evas, then that would make it much worse for them and to keep them from Terminal Dogma.
But before they could say any more The angel picked up Unit-02 and started using it as a fly swatter, continually trying to hit first Unit-01, then Unit-03. As they scrambled to not get hit by the flailing red Eva, Rei was coming to a decision, and then mentally contacted Touji who backed off from the fight and then sat down on the ground in a lotus postion.
"Touji, what the hell are you doing?" yelled Misato who didn't get any response.
Then the angel aimed the Red Eva towards the sitting Eva. But, before the angel could make contact, Shinji stabbed the angel itself which caused it to let Asuka's Eva go. But then it turned it's attention to The purple Eva and shattered the pistron gun it used to hurt it. Through all that, Shinji could hear and feel the pain Rei went through. She had felt the pain the angel had gone through.
So, Shinji started to think of another strategy when Rei finally mentally contacted him and Touji,
"I cannot hold out much longer, and you two are still in danger, so I have decided to finish this." Rei then smiled as she reached back from where she sat in the entry plug and activated the self distruct.

It took a few seconds before everyone understood what Rei was doing.
"REI. WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?" Was Misato's response to her actions as Shinji then took ahold of the flailing
angel who was starting to infect his Eva.
Touji was now in a trance like the one he had been before in the cemetery. So, most in the Command center didn't know what to make of his actions, But Shinji, and Asuka knew. As the countdown processed, Rei inverted her AT -Field thereby trapping the angel in Unit-00's core, She also knew that by doing that she finally released the souls of one Naoko Akagi. She mentally then said good bye to her, Asuka, and Shinji. If what they did at the cemetery was successful, she might be herself again, but it was not foolproof. But, she smiled as the final seconds came, sharing consciousness with Touji would be ... Interesting!
Then a final I Love you to Touji, and Shinji mentally, Unit-00 with the angel trapped within it's core Blew up!

KKKKKKKKKKKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMM MM!!!!
_________________________________________________________ _____________________________

Loss

Gone, ... just like that! 2/3rds of Tokyo-03 and his beloved sister ... gone! Or not?
But Shinji took the emotion of loss as he so obviously witnessed the evaporation of 2/3rds of Tokyo-3 and the consequences of it.
Rei could be gone, if their plan didn't succeed, so the first thing he did was contact Touji, who didn't respond, then he opened a Vid-link to Unit-03's cockpit, where he saw a convulsing pilot Touji Suzahara.
("Sorry Touji, but we have to give Rei a chance!")
As he saw his friend in agony, he switched to his loves Vid-link only to see her quiet and almost comatose.
("This wasn't in the plan, what happened to her?") Shinji then made his way to her Eva and helped it to the nearest elevator to the Eva cages, seeing the Eva secure he want after Touji's Eva who was convulsing as he was in the entry plug.
Shinji Ikari knew that if his mother's plan worked he wouldn't know if Rei lived or not until Touji awoke.

Then after Touji was disconnected from his sync with Unit-03, Shinji then went back to what was left of Unit-00. trying to find the entry plug.
"Pilot Ikari, you are to return to the Eva cages. The rescue teams will find the first child." was all The Commander said as he wanted to gauge the third child's mental state. He also wanted to see what the obvious telepathic game they were playing.

But all Shinji heard was his father's voice, that voice which had made him so self conscious, that voice that he at first wanted to hear approval for. But, now that voice only brought up the emotions of hate and revenge.
He knew his father had said this to get him angry, but he wasn't his father's puppet anymore. He knew that if he reacted as Gendo thought he would, then he would still be his to control, so he said;

"Yes, Commander, I will comply." in a monotone voice eerily reminiscent of one Rei Ayanami, the pilot of the now lost Unit-00.
Shinji did this on purpose, now he had to act like this at least initially so as to keep the pressure off of Touji who was now unconscious.
He also wanted to give his father a taste of his own medicine.
He observed him get up and quickly leave the Commander center after his answer. It was obvious to Shinji that he had gotten to his stoic father, reminding him of what he let happen. But he also knew that he was in for some rough times ahead.
He then thought of Asuka. why was she comatose. Was there a reason he didn't think of. He also knew his father, and wouldn't put it past him to have done something to her, so he tried to contact her again. ("Damn I have to get to her!!") Shinji then took the nearest elevator to the cages and within 5 minutes was beside Asuka who was in stretcher, in a coma.
Near them was Touji who was also now unconscious. Dr. Akagi then ordered all three to the Infirmary to be checked out and to try to find out what cause the two pilots to lose consciousness. She had a sneaky feeling as to Touji, but with Asuka , she was stumped.
But that was alleviated by the fact of seeing Shinji get to Gendo as the Commander had done to him before.

("Maybe there's more than meets the eye here.") Ritsuko said to herself as the pilots and those helping them made their ways through the halls of Nerv to it's Infirmary.

Chapter # 14: Retribution

Will Rei-II personality be saved, or are she and Touji done for. And what about Asuka? Will she recover or is Shinji alone now to fight the final angel, ... and his father! Kawrou will finally arrive, what will he do with an angry Shinji, and not the spineless wimp he was told he would meet?
Well. we will see!