Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Sibling Bonds ❯ Retribution ( Chapter 14 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimers:

Neon Genesis Evangelion and all related characters, concepts, etc. are Property of ADVision and Gainax. I only *wish* they were mine. Please try to be good to me; this is my first stab at an Evangelion "Only" Fic. If you have read this whole fic, I do state now this is a waffy fic, with a bit of action as well! Thanks to Chewy, Andre Laval, and John Brown for pre reading this chapter! ** Just a warning, this will have a more sci-fi elements in this, and the following chapters. They're needed for the story to continue, and please remember, this is an A/U story.

"" ""= A telepathic conversation.

( )= A person's thoughts

Sibling Bonds

Chapter # 14: Retribution

Will Rei-II's personality be saved, or are she and Touji done for? What about Asuka? Will she recover or is Shinji alone now to fight the final angel ... and his father! Kaworu will finally arrive. What will he do with an angry Shinji, and not the spineless wimp he was told he would meet? Let's see now!

Author's Notes: I will start by apologising to all, about the lack of updates to this particular story. The main cause was the lack of another author to finish this story for me as I had so much on my plate already with seven other stories out, unfinished. Well he never did this, and so I'm finally able to update this story. So please again I'm sorry and I hope you like this chapter. Just 2 chapters left!

My Head's crowded!

Touji's POV:

Hhhhaaaaaa! It was totally wrong, feeling like thirty people on a phone booth, but having three souls in one body can do that to you. Now understand I had prepared for Rei and me to share my mind, but the She-devil too? That's just too far!

The worst part was that I couldn't get the German Witch's voice out of my head. That combination of a buzz saw and gravel rubbing together to form a coherent voice was driving me nuts.

Before her highness' arrival, during that time when Rei and I shared our thoughts between us, that was . . . nice. But now, having the wicked witch of the Reich here is just too much.

"Well its no picnic for me first stooge!" Asuka snickered back at Touji within his mind. It seems that the three souls in my mind and body were finally here. We sat in what seemed to be a small room with the three of us sitting in the middle.

"Does this small room mean you have a small mind, dork?" Asuka asked sarcastically.

"Now listen here devil-girl, this is my mind, and you're an unwelcome guest here so ... shut your mouth!" Then something wonderful happened, a two-inch thick metal strip appeared and covered her mouth, which made her oh-so-mad. She flayed her arms wildly, then tried to pry off that metal strip without success, and then she stood up to deliver a kick to my face. "Tie up the devil girl!" I said, and Asuka then landed with a thud, tied up with rope, which looked like those old cartoons where the damsel was tied from head to toe with rope. I simply broke down laughing at her embarrassing situation.

"It seems that you have control over the physical realm within your mind Touji." Rei stated what to me, was obvious now.

Rei then turned to a bound and gagged Asuka, "It seems the best advice Asuka, is to behave yourself here, since Touji has control of this world within his mind."

A scornful look greeted Rei and within a few moments, a slight nod of Asuka's head signified her agreeing to Rei's advice.

"Do you agree Asuka?" I said with a big smile on my face. She nodded her head furiously, with a scowl to boot.

Suddenly the rope and the metal gag disappeared. "Thanks a lot you little..."

I shook my finger at her, "Ah, ah, ah, now watch what you say, or you'll be bound and gagged again!" I said with the same smile on my face as before.

"Hrummph!" Asuka said as we settled down to figure out what went wrong.

"Touji, when you prepared yourself to retrieve my soul, what was different than when we practiced in the cemetery?" Rei questioned, proceeding to look at me with those eyes, those crimson pools of loveliness, causing me to zone out.

"Touji, Touji! Earth to Touji, are you there, or is there a vacancy?" Asuka was saying as I came back.

"Ah, what? Oh yeah, well Rei, the only thing that was different was when I pulled you in through our mental connection, it suddenly got jumbled up in my head. That's where I must have dragged Big Red here as well."

"What do you mean by . . . jumbled? Can you explain?" Rei looked confused.

"Well, what I mean is like when I pulled you in, it suddenly got weird, and the direction changed, and in came the big Blitzkrieg here." I saw that by now Asuka's face was as red as her hair clips, which wasn't good for me. "OK, ok, sorry about what I said, ok?" I then looked from a slowly de-simmering Asuka back to the cool and collected Rei.

"It seems that the telepathic backwash from my soul's emigrating to your body caused Asuka's soul to be dragged along as well."

"Well, no duh, Wonder girl. But, now . . . how can I get back, to my beautiful body?"

"Well, believe me I didn't want you to be here, I only Okayed this wacky idea so I could get closer to Rei. You know, to get to know her better."

"Yeah, I'll bet and with that perverted mind of yours, I can imaging how close!" Asuka was smirking at me, as I'm sure I was turning every shade of red available.

"NO, THAT'S NOT WHAT I MEANT!" I yelled at her as her smile widened. Then, I felt a small warm hand on my shoulder, calming me down, as I turned to look at her, the girl I couldn't stop thinking about… Rei Ayanami.

"It is all right Touji-kun, I would not have objected, to get to know you better as well." she said in her soft voice.

"Right, the doll, and the dork, I can imagine that...." Asuka was stopped at mid-sentence as she looked into Rei's eyes, as I also saw it. Sadness and hurt, something I had seen before, when we talked at the lookout, I turned to Asuka who had covered her mouth with her hand. She had hurt Rei's feelings, forgot their budding friendship and hurt her. I was angry, but bit my lip as I could see that Asuka realised what she had said, and done. She looked down then looked up at her.

"Rei, I, I forgot myself. You know I shoot off my mouth sometimes." She sighed, then continued. "Look, will the ropes and the gag like what Touji did to me, I won't object to it, I'll...."

Before she could say any more Rei put a hand on her shoulder. Asuka slowly put her hand on Rei's shoulder, mimicking Rei's move. This slowly solidified their friendship that they had started when Shinji and me were stuck in our Evas.

After a few minutes to compose ourselves we got back to our dilemma, how were we going to get Asuka back to her body? After some more brainstorming, Rei came up with a very simple answer; use our combined power to telepathically contact Shinji. Then get him to call Asuka as I had called Rei to her body. But as we found out later, getting and doing are two different things!

________________________________________________________________ _____

Of Kaworu and Shinji

(Third Person POV:)

Kaworu Nagisa had witnessed the previous battle and smiled at the explosion of Unit-00. But, not for the reasons you might think. He had sensed the rescue of Rei Ayanami's soul. The chance to live, a chance that his brethren had tried to prevent.

The fifth child had been briefed by SEELE not only of the background, and personalities of the four Eva pilots, but of the secret powers they had recently manifested. These powers seemed to have been derived from the Evas, and in turn from the angels. So, when he arrived in Tokyo-3, Kaworu had sensed these powers, confirming the information SEELE had given him.

But, that didn't take away from the purpose that he was created to do. And, as much as he had reservations about it, he knew he had a destiny to fulfil. He knew that all involved in this project, from the Nerv Commanders, to the pilots, to even himself, had jobs to do. He smiled knowing he would do his part. Infiltrating Nerv, and when the time came, to bring about mankind's destruction. Yet why does Rei, a being so much like him fight his brethren? This was the main question that shook his resolve, but for now it didn't break it.

As he sensed the new powers of the Eva pilots. He also knew about the predictions that SEELE and Nerv's Commander had seen in their copies of the Dead Sea Scrolls were making them nervous and concerned. So concerned that they had sent him with one of the MP-Evangelions to add to Nerv's stock of Evas there already. "It seems that these Lillum are afraid of their own creations as they have already changed their scenarios." He chuckled a bit as he then made his way to Nerv's infirmary. He knew that the unconscious pilots were there, as well as Shinji Ikari.

After a few checks with the desk personnel, Kaworu made his way to the three hundred wing, where Nerv sends their recovering pilots. There, in room 306 a two-person room sat Shinji Ikari, holding the hand of an unconscious Asuka Langley Souryu. Across from her lay Touji Suzahara, who seemed to have a glow around him, which only Kaworu could see. Sitting next to him was Rei Ayanami. Kaworu of course knew this was a new Rei as he had been briefed on her unique makeup, and knew that this would be the third.

As he entered the room she was the first to notice him. "Who are you? Are you allowed here?" said an emotionless and stoic Rei. Shinji, who knew the third Rei was there, had a concerned look as he watched this strange looking boy walk into the room.

He had to do a double take at the striking similarities between Kaworu and Rei. The similarities though ended when Kaworu spoke. "Am I in the presence of the saviours of humanity?" he asked in a bit of an unearthly tone.

"Who are you?" said Rei in her soft but solid tone. "I am Kaworu Nagisa, the Fifth child and pilot of Evangelion Unit-05" He looked at Rei. "You must be Rei Ayanami, the First child and pilot of Evangelion Unit-00, while you must be Shinji Ikari, the Third Child and pilot of Evangelion Unit-01. Am I right?" Kaworu asked as he shifted his head to the side.

"Yyyes, we are." Shinji then bowed formally to Kaworu's direction, while Rei bowed slightly then turned, sat down and continued her vigil on Touji while reading a book.

"You know you look tired Mr. Ikari why don't we grab a bite to eat at the cafeteria. I'm sure Miss Ayanami can watch the second and fourth child while we eat?"

Shinji became apprehensive at the calm way Kaworu had spoken and he really didn't want to leave Asuka and Touji alone. He still needed to figure out what had happened to cause Asuka to go into a coma. He knew what had really happened to Touji, but Asuka's coma was a mystery.

"You seemed troubled, maybe the distraction of the cafeteria and some food might make it easier for you when you return, Mr. Ikari." Kaworu said with his smile.

Something clicked in Shinji's head. (Maybe this new guy is just trying to be nice.)"Ok, I'll take a break." He nodded his head to the newcomer. Mainly to find out why he was acting so friendly towards them. Maybe he was working for his father to spy on them. Well, he'll get what information he could so he can get back to his love, and his stricken friends.

"Ok, I'll go." He smiled a fake smile to the fifth child.

"Ayanami, please keep an eye on Asuka for me." He asked politely.

"That will not be a problem, Pilot Ikari." Rei's answer sent a shiver down Shinji's spine. She spoke like how he remembered Rei did before the fifth angel, but he knew that would change. Soon his sister would be in the body of this copy. But until then he had to be civil, or his father might get wind of their mental duplicity. So, as they left, Shinji said a simple "thank you" to the secretive and distant Rei III. She nodded, then continued with her reading.

Shinji was enjoying his rest with the smiling and talkative Kaworu, when he felt a touch, then a firm call in his head. Immediately he froze and concentrated intently at the feeling he was getting, not noticing that Kaworu had also felt this telepathic touch as well. This confirmed even more to the fifth child that he had to stick close to the other pilots. He also knew instantly what it meant, and that Shinji had to get back to the hospital room. Within a half-minute, both boys were headed out of the cafeteria and back towards the other pilots' room.

Then as the entered they saw...

Rei Ayanami sitting on the floor and crawling towards the door and them, while an ethereal glow surrounded Touji's body. Shinji, for his part was frozen until Kaworu patted him on the shoulder.

"Shouldn't you help them get out?"

Shinji's jaw hit the floor. "What are you talking about?" asked a surprised Shinji.

"Let's just say that I have the same thoughts as you all", He said while pointing to his forehead. The meaning behind what Kaworu had said, dawned on Shinji and he smiled at him as he moved to pick Rei up off the floor.

"Pilot Ikari, they are angels, you must get to your Eva and fight them," Rei Ayanami the third said.

"No, they're not angels, they have simply been granted the powers of the Evas they pilot," said a still smiling Kaworu.

"Which means Rei, I need your help to make them better. Will you help me so they can pilot again?" Shinji asked a confused Rei.

"How will you accomplish this, Pilot Ikari?"

Shinji then explained that if he held Asuka's hand, then Rei's who then held Touji's, then the pilot's will awaken and Touji would stop glowing."

"Trust him Ayanami, it will work." Kaworu added.

"You do trust me don't you, Rei?" Shinji smiled as Rei finally agreed, rather reluctantly, to help.

"If I sense anything wrong, we will stop," she said that as she held Shinji's hand and he held Asuka's.

"Of course." Shinji nodded as Rei then held Touji's hand and immediately shut her eyes hard and started to shake convulsively. Kaworu moved to hold her.

"Kaworu, please keep her steady," Shinji asked as he concentrated.

Slowly the soul of Asuka left Touji's body and went through Rei-III's body; a grimace was shown on Asuka's soul's until she passed through Shinji, where it changed to a happy and loving stare at him before she eventually ended up back in her own body.

As Shinji broke physical contact with Rei-III, Rei-II's soul then slowly left Touji's body and entered Rei-III's body. Rei then broke away from Kaworu's grasp as she convulsed and writhed on the floor. Shinji, who had earlier electronically blacked out all the monitoring sensors within the room, reacted to this by going to his sister and trying to use his link with her to calm the two entities within the one body fighting for dominance. Then another set of hands was added to Rei's shoulders, . . . they belonged to Kaworu Nagisa who was also concentrating, his brow now sweaty.

After a few more jerky movements Rei lay still. A few tense and silent moments passed before Rei's eyes snapped open, looking first at Kaworu with a confused look on her face, before she turned her head and spotted Shinji. Without hesitation, Rei slowly rose, then hugged Shinji and sighed loud enough for Kaworu to hear. "I am back," she said with a small smile for her brother. Shinji with a great smile hugged her back with tears now gathering in his eyes.

Kaworu simply stood back taking in the warm scene unfolding in front of him. He smiled, this time for the happiness radiating from the two siblings in front of him. Then he realised, this closeness would end if he fulfilled his mission. He then was lost in thought as this caused him to doubt his calling.

_______________________________________________________________ ______

I am back

As Shinji helped a now tired Rei to the chair next to Touji's bed, a stretching sound came from it. A loud yawn echoed throughout the large room. There, pulling himself up to his full height and rubbing the sleep from his eyes was the fourth child, Touji Suzahara, looking like he'd just woken up from a long sleep. "Hey, Rei-chan how are you doin?" Touji said, smiling to her. She gave him a small, but tired smile and crawled into his bed and promptly fell asleep next to him.

With a surprised look Touji said; "I'd better keep an eye on her." Touji then pointed towards the opposite bed, as Asuka was yawning.

The Second Child then pointed an accusing finger at the lanky jock. "Yeah you'd better keep an eye on her, or I'll punch you out you dork." She then yawned again as the German Pilot turned to smile at the other boy who was now sitting next to her on the bed.

Shinji had some tears welling up in his eyes. He then held her cheek with his hand. "You scared me to death, you know. I didn't know what had happened to you until you sent that rather foully worded message to me telepathically," said a now tired Shinji Ikari, who promptly yawned, clearly fatigued.

"Why don't you sleep there and I'll keep watch, Shinji-kun?" said Kaworu with a rather wistful look at the two couples now in front of him.

"Who the hell are you?" Asuka angrily said as she led Shinji's head down to her lap as he was slowly falling asleep.

"I am Kaworu Nagisa, the Fifth child, and pilot of Evangelion Unit-05," said the light skinned smiling young man.

"And you're not going to report what you saw to Commander Ikari are you?"

He raised his hands apologetically, "Why should I burden the Commander with such insignificant information?" said the still smiling young man with. He knew by gaining their trust, he could get closer to the pilots. Plus he was only to obey SEELE, not the Nerv Commander. Though that resolve had now slowly begun to crumble.

"Good, as long as we understand each other, then we'll get along just fine. Now do as you said and keep an eye out. Shinji and Rei need their sleep." They both nodded positively to each other as Kaworu took a chair and put it next to the room's door. He looked back at the pleasant sight of the two couples comforting each other, one partner asleep, while the other was there stroking an arm or a back to help them sleep.

("These Lillum need each other's physical contact as well as their emotional ties to love. Will that be lost if they become one, as SEELE wants, should I complete my destiny and deny them theirs?") This question again swirled around the fifth child's head as the night wore on.

____________________________________________________________________ _

An Angel's Decision

As one child slept or was comforted by the other, Kaworu began to review the reasons behind the existence of the angels and by that, himself.

He knew who he was, and also what he was supposed to do. But he had the luxury of the next few weeks to observe the Lillum in their everyday lives and these four pilots in particular. These observations he knew now were to help him determine if humanity lives, or if they die. Since he was the angel of free will, he had to find out for himself whether the Lillum were worthy to continue, or lacked the combination of determination and compassion needed to be allowed to exist. So over the next few weeks he observed and catalogued his observations.

It seemed that the Nerv Commander was getting nervous for the last angel to appear, though he knew fairly well that he, and probably the head of Nerv Research, Dr. Ritsuko Akagi probably knew of his origins, and so they knew who he really was. During this time he learned a lot, including the relationship between Ritsuko and The Commander.

He continued to observe the developing relationships between the four pilots. Not only did he see the strengthening of the friendships, but also the intimate relationships that were occurring between Rei, and Touji, as well as Shinji, and Asuka. For the first time in his life, he was enjoying a friendship, with Touji and Shinji. They included him in there off time activities. What little there was since most of the city was either rubble or at the bottom of the Geo Front. But they all seemed to stay close to each other, with Misato sometimes included. Kaworu deduced that the two adult women were being included due to their familial and emotional ties to the four children.

He eavesdropped on the children's mental conversations so he knew of their eventual plans. But knowing that didn't automatically mean he'd betray the trust developing between him and the other pilots. Unfortunately, he knew to fulfil his destiny, he would have to do just that.

So, two weeks to the day that he had met Shinji on the shore of the lake created by Unit-00's explosion, Kaworu was there contemplating his options, when he felt someone behind him. Someone that he thought was dead.

"Agent Kaji. I had heard you were dead. Are you a ghost, or demon come back for revenge or repentance?" Kaworu asked before he sat back to await the agents' response.

"I had to … disappear, so I could be more effective in what I have to do… Tabris."

That definitely got the fifth child's attention. He then turned around, a serious look now replacing his constant smile. "Get to your point, Mr. Kaji."

"I faked my murder so I could observe and act on what I know to be your appointed actions, as well as prevent Third Impact. I also need to protect those I care about." Kaji then paused to gage the angel's mood before continuing. "But before you ask, I don't answer to Commander Ikari, nor Chairman Keel."

"Then who do you serve, agent?" Said a now slightly irritated Kaworu.

"The truth as I see it." Kaji then awaited a response, it came swiftly, as an AT-field developed and threw him to a concrete slab on the beach.

"Agent Kaji, you know who, and what I am, yet you are trying my patience. What do you want?" The fifth child now stood in front of the crumpled figure of the former Nerv and SEELE agent who was regaining his breath, as it was knocked out of him.

"You are the angel of free will, right?"

"Yes, and what is so important about that?"

"And, you agree that if Keel and SEELE hadn't interfered with the natural order of things, we would not have seen you or your brethren for many thousands of years?"

"Yes." (I wouldn't have even been created at all, if SEELE hadn't done what they did, said the angel to himself.)

"You would also agree that by the changes the four children have now manifested, that means man hasn't stopped evolving, instead, we are on the verge of a leap in evolution. Do you agree?"

Kaworu was speechless, as SEELE's main argument to cause Third Impact and Instrumentality had now been proven wrong. What's worse is that by their manipulations, they had hastened this evolutionary leap in man as they were trying to achieve the complete opposite. This caused the light skinned boy to ponder what Kaji had said.

After a few moments of contemplation and thought, he looked up with a calm expression and a smile back on his face. " A point well taken, Agent Kaji. I will think about this."

"That's all I wanted. But, I would like this conversation kept between us, if it's all right with you." Kaji was taking a huge risk knowing not just who Kaworu was, but who had originally sent him. But from his clandestine conversation he had with Shinji, he had to take the risk. He also knew Shinji was close to breaking when it came to his death, and Misato. ("Well, either way, I'll die now, or later. Or, Shinji's judgement is on the money, and we'll have another hand to help, even if it is … an angels' help.")

"You don't have to worry, Mr. Kaji, I will not tell anyone of our conversation. But, I am perturbed of the fact that you put Shinji in a position that has added to his stress. So I would advise you to rectify that, if you don't want me to be … unsympathetic to your view." Kaworu said this with his customary smile, but his eyes showed his seriousness with what he had said to the older man.

"I, … understand." Then with quick nods, they departed one to the shadows; the other started walking to his one bedroom apartment in the Geo front. Where Kaworu had to take some time to digest what the former Nerv Agent had said to him. He had to ponder, now more than ever, his role in the drama that had been unfolding since SEELE's obvious interference. The rest of the night Kaworu was awake racking his brain, and trying to use his powers to contact whoever had started this for guidance. It took a vibrant dream, and the images of his friends to make his mind up.

Kaworu then smiled and slept the rest of the night with a new mission, and a new goal.

What will Kaworu's new resolve carry him, and what of the four children? Will they be up for the final challenge to humanity's existence?

We'll see, next in;

Chapter #15: Observations, and Conclusions