Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Sibling Bonds ❯ Obsevations and Conclusions ( Chapter 15 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimers:

Neon Genesis Evangelion and all related characters, concepts, etc. are Property of ADVision and Gainax. I only *wish* they were mine. If you have read this whole fic, I do state now this is a waffy fic, with a bit of action as well! Thanks to Chewy, Datexan, Andre Laval, and John Brown for pre reading this story!

** Just a warning, this will have more sci-fi elements in this, and the following chapter. They're needed for this story to continue, and please remember, this is an A/U story.

'Â Â '= A telepathic conversation.

( )= A person's thoughts

Sibling Bonds

Chapter #15: Observations, and Conclusions

Kaworu's woke up with a new and refreshed attitude. He had dreamt the previous night. He had never done that before. That wasn't the only revelation, he also debated with himself, and others within the dream, of what Agent Kaji had said to him the day before.

He had a great inkling to squash him like a bug, especially after his comments about who he served. The outright impudence of it caused his reaction. Yet, it was unnerving for him to be mad, since it was alien to him to fell that emotion, … till now.

`I'll have to talk to him sometime.' Kaworu thought, as he left his apartment, and made his way through the Geo-front, towards the pilot testing facilities and to whom he had to see there.

The day before was a rare day for the four pilots, who now shared Misato's apartment. Though it officially was to keep close tabs on the remaining Eva pilots, the children knew better. It was to keep an eye on them, and their emerging powers.

But what was good about it was that both couples got their chances to be close and private with each other. Even though the sleeping arrangements were boys and girls in separate rooms, it usually ended up with each couple sharing a bunk bed, while Misato looked the other way.

But Misato didn't shirk her responsibility with then children. She had the traditional sex talk with Rei and Asuka, which quickly degraded into a stone quiet Rei, a shouting Asuka waving her hands and venting her anger, and a drunk Misato wishing she was somewhere else. Lucky for the boys, Misato didn't continue this with them.

Though the children did sleep together, they didn't have sex. They kept to their promise made to themselves, and now to Misato, to wait till this was over. That promise had been made at Shinji's insistence, not as much for Rei, but more for himself. He knew his sister could take care of herself, it was keeping an over exuberant Asuka at bay that motivated that promise.

The night Kaworu dreamt of his observations and decisions, the two couples were in their respective beds, talking. First in Shinji's room, He and Asuka were discussing…

"Now listen here my Baka, how do you know that Kaworu guy won't turn Kaji to a pancake if he tells him all this information?" He had informed Asuka of his meetings with Kaji. The girl screamed and jumped up and down at the mention of Kaji being alive, but Shinji had to literally kiss her to shut her up.

That of course brought all noise and arguments to a halt. Then, after a few more minutes of kissing and hugging between them, both teens laid on their backs in the shared bed.

Both had one arm around each other while they gazed at each other lovingly. Then Shinji cleared his throat to get her attention, and continued their conversation of the angelic Fifth Child. "I can see that he is very much like Rei, in that he is being told just enough to do his job. If he listens to Kaji, then maybe we might be able to get him to not complete his mission." Shinji then looked intently at Asuka for her answer.

"And if he doesn't?" Asuka asked, well aware that Shinji did like the angelic boy as a friend.

"Then, … we'll … have to stop him." Shinji the let out a sigh and put his arms behind his head, under his pillow. They were soon joined by one of Asuka's hands, as she laid her head on his chest.

"You understand what that means, right?" She looked at his face intently as she lay on his chest. He simply nodded affirmatively with a sad look on his face. "Just remember, we'll be there with you if it comes to that." She hugged him more to emphasise her support. Rei and Touji added their support through their mental link.

Earlier Rei and Touji were talking while lying on the bed assigned to Asuka in the girl's room. "Rei, why do you like me?" Was a question out of the blue from the Jock, to his love but he never really got a straight answer from her since they shared their feelings for each other.

"I … can only say to you Touji, that I admire your courage and caring for your friends, and for me when I needed it." They were lying on their sides, looking at each other intently, she then grabbed his hands with hers, then guided them both to where her heart would be on her chest. "From that moment on I had only two people whom I had feelings for. My brother, and you." She smiled a small smile. "I would even say that I have some feelings for Asuka, but that would be for my brother's benefit."

Touji was floored. Here in front of him, the girl who was emotionless, and cared of nothing and no one, told him point blank, she cared for him, "I … I… love you Rei. I can't be away from you, I care for you, I get knots in my stomach just at the thought that you might leave or might get hurt, I can't…"

"It is all right, I have the same reaction if some form of harm were to occur against you. I cannot, no I don't want to be away from you. I am lonely when I'm away from you I…"

She never finished as Touji brought her closer and gently kissed her. He held her like a porcelain figure and cradled her in his arms as they kissed.

After a few more minutes of exploring their emotions for each other, then simply laid in each other's arms as they mentally listened in to Shinji, and Asuka's conversation.

Meanwhile at his solitary apartment within the Geo-Front, Kaworu Nagisa was at a crossroads, knowing his true destiny, but now, not trusting what he had been told by his makers, the members of SEELE, and one Edward Langley in particular. That person who he knew helped raise him and was the human genetic half of his DNA. He knew that the man had accepted him into his new family, and had known about his previous marriage and the rejection of Asuka to his current family. He was the new little brother who was, like Rei, an Angel/Human Hybrid. Now he knew that if he completed his mission his family, including Langley and Asuka would be eliminated. Why was he being put into this situation? He knew he wouldn't have had this questioning of his purpose before. But that was before his friendship of Shinji and the other children, plus his talk with the thought to be dead agent Kaji.

He thought back to how he was cared for by the Langley Family with his adoptive mother being a caring and loving as he could have imagined many mothers were. But he knew who and what he was, so when his mother mysteriously died 3 years ago, he knew it was SEELE's doing. Through this his father drifted to his work, much like what he did with Asuka, he also knew he was destined to do this whatever he felt.

"They want me to suffer and be easily manipulated, like the other children." But he also knew they already had the powers granted to them through their piloting of the Evas. "SEELE doesn't really know what they're dealing with," he thought. Finally, he remembered the way the children had accepted him even though he looked and spoke differently. But they had accepted Rei, why not Kaworu. He smiled and then finalised his decision, when a call came from SEELE. Kaworu Nagisa laughed and informed them of what he was thinking!

Kaworu Nagisa, the Fifth child and pilot of Evangelion Unit-05, said …

________________________________________________________________ _____

The Commander's Response

How could they have done that, and to him! SEELE, well the old men deserved to be chastised, and it was a great sight to see Keel Lorenz at a loss for words. But to tell him the same thing! Well he wouldn't stand that at all. Those who had gathered for the SEELE meeting had to gasp and sputter at the information in front of them.
Their charge, Kaworu Nagisa, the Fifth child and pilot of Evangelion Unit-05, had basically told them to "sit tight while I make my decision". That it got him in a bull's eye of Nerv, and SEELE. But when they found out that it was a list of people the Fifth child was observing that was used in order to make that final decision. He even gave them a the list, which included all of SEELE and every person Kaworu had known for any real length of time, and of course all the Nerv personnel he met especially the Pilots and their friends. Well that really got SEELE's chairman in a knot.SEELE-01: "What is the Fifth doing? Why isn't he following orders? What happened to cloud his mind and his loyalty?"

Another folder was given to all members including Gendo Ikari. It contained what was observed through a certain hospital room's window with infrared equipment. It documented the transferring of some type of power, and it was later analysed that two human souls from the Fourth child, to the First child, then to the Second

SEELE-05: "This is preposterous, only the Evas can take a human soul like that."

SEELE-03: "Well you can see it for yourself, the children seem to be able to transfer their souls at will."

SEELE-12: "Then maybe the third Rei, really is still the second."

"With what is shown here, I could say that yes, that is a possibility," said a concerned Gendo Ikari.

SEELE-07: "Then how does these variances to the scenario affect the Instrumentality project?" But the Commander was not given a chance to answer.

SEELE-01: "This cannot go on, Ikari, remedy the First child problem, and WE will talk to the Fifth child."

SEELE-08: "Haven't any of you noticed something?"

SEELE-01 and the Commander in unison: "WHAT?"

SEELE-08: "All of this; Instrumentality, the Angels, and so on is based on the fact that humanity has reached it's evolutionary limits. But, the changes in the children, even the confusion of the Fifth. Can't you all see that Humanity is evolving right in front of us? The scenario is now mute." He then paused to see the reactions of his collages. When no one said anything, he concluded, "As the children evolve, so will their offspring," He added as all knew of the pilots developing relationships, "and as they procreate so will humanity."

As the idea sunk in, even Keel Lorenz had to think hard of what the American SEELE delegate had said. The children, with their obvious connections to Eva were evolving. And not just a hybrid like Rei Ayanami, but all the pilots had developed new powers that they could use outside the entry plugs of the Evas. He wouldn't even be surprised if they could conjure up huge AT fields, and even fly.

SEELE#1: "So, what your saying is that, due to the children's evolution, humanity is not at an evolutionary dead end, and that Instrumentality is not coming soon, but may be in our future. Our far, far future?"

Then an alarm had gone off as first Gendo, then Keel were on their phones talking to some unnamed subordinate.

"I think you should see this." was all Gendo said as he hit a button in his console, and all saw through their holographic screens, both scenes.

One was Rei and Touji in the room containing the Rei clones, while the second had Shinji and Asuka literally floating in Terminal Dogma with an ethereal glow, and smiles on all their faces.
Â

SEELE-11: "Are they all angels?"

SEELE-01: "No, their blood signature is red, even Rei Ayanami… who should be blue."

Then a second alarm came from all the bases, which contained the MP-Evas.
A call came into SEELE. "All the dummy plug are ... evaporating, the Evas are shutting down, they're inoperable," came a voice that was cut off by Keel.
Then another figure joined Rei and Touji. It was Kaworu Nagisa and all three formed a circle and joined hands.
Then a visible pulse went out from the three and the clones that were now laughing slowly started to dissolve, and disintegrate within the Room of Gauf's tanks.
Then a flash of light, and all five children were floating in Terminal Dogma.
It was then that Ritsuko Akagi entered Terminal Dogma and observed the children in mid-air.
SEELE was observing the occurrences there and at their bases with apprehension.

Gendo excused himself, and headed for his express elevator, which ended in Terminal Dogma.

"Children, please come down and well talk about this," said a now nervous Dr Akagi.

But before they had time to say anything Gendo entered the large room, and lifted his hand that contained the Adam embryo towards both Rei, and Kaworu. Slowly, and helplessly, they started to drift towards Gendo, who now had a smile on his face. If he couldn't get the pilots to defeat the seventeenth, then he'll use him and Rei to start Instrumentality.

SEELE-05: "No, Ikari's trying to start his own form of instrumentality."

SEELE-01: " Without the MP-Evas, we're helpless to stop it." He slammed his hand on his metal chair, which housed what remained of his lower body. "This cannot go on." He then hit a concealed button and all them turned to the scene before them.

But, a flash was seen that whirled right in front of Gendo followed a second later by his hand was falling onto the ground while Rei and Kaworu floated back up to the others with relief shown on their faces. Then everyone saw what happened as Asuka joined the others while extinguishing what looked like a smaller version of a Prog knife that the Evas used.

As Ritsuko took care of the Commanders' wound, the children then got the attention of SEELE, and a now alerted Nerv.

After he made eye contact with each of the pilots, Shinji spoke.

"To Nerv, and the members of SEELE. We know of your plans and as of right now Instrumentality is dead!"
Then, a certain scruffy bearded looking agent came out of the entrance that Ritsuko and Gendo used.

Asuka shouted "Kaji!" and running over, she hugged the agent. While a certain major, after observing what had happened began making her way down to Terminal Dogma as well.

"Well, agent Kaji, your death was obviously greatly exaggerated." A pained and weak expression was on Gendo Ikari's face. Then he asked, "Is that how the children knew all that they did?"
"Well, part of it was from me, but the rest was from your wife who is still in the core of Unit-01."
Gasps were heard from SEELE's conference room as well as Central Command centre.
"Is this true?" boomed Misato Katsuragi's voice through the Comm link.

Shinji responded, "Yes Misato, Chairman Keel and those who make up the SEELE membership already knew that, didn't you.

The SEELE council sat in silence until Shinji continued, "Your plan to unite Humanity, and control it, is dead."

Then they saw the impossible, Adam and Lillith both started to disappear, right in front of their eyes and viewing monitors.
Then, Kaworu spoke:
"That above all, which is all powerful has made a decision, all materials and all information concerning the Angels, the Evas, and Instrumentality will be taken, as you have seen with Adam and Lillith. At an appropriate time in the future, all will be put back and the final decision will be made then. As has been said previously, Humanity is not stagnant, but evolving, but for now only we children have evolved. As time will proceed though others will come, and not just the progeny of we children, but from those who see themselves as normal. We do not want nor will seek power here even though we could take that power if we wanted." He looked again at the children still floating in Terminal Dogma He sighed and they sent him a telepathic message of their confidence in him. He smiled and continued. "We seek anonymity, and normal lives. To that end, we will disappear and join humanity on our own. Please understand this and we wish you luck in your new future."

Just as Misato had joined Kaji, she watched the pilots, all five children, still in mid air, and join hands. They then started to spin and steadily increasing in speed. A light slowly developed at the centre of their circle, It became brighter and more brilliant and within a few seconds, Misato and the others there and watching on their view screens saw her friends, her charges, her children disappear.Â

The overlook above what is left of Tokyo-3.

The five children sit quietly and observe the activities below. It has been a week since their disappearance and they came to sat they're good byes.

Kaworu then got up and the other children followed. Shinji and Asuka were to his right, Touji and Rei to his left. He smiled then he spoke.

"As I had said to all before the one who has taken the First and Second angels wants me to …come home." The four children looked sad, but then they asked mentally

"What about Rei, won't she have to leave?" Touji was now holding Rei tightly, clearly not wanting her to go, while Shinji stared intently at his Angelic friend, and what he would say next.

"Please you should not worry, I have to simply touch her and she will have her Angelic side taken while leaving her evolved human form." After the children mentally checked Kaworu's assertion, they found it to be true. Rei then slowly disengaged herself form Touji's grasp, and stood in front of Kaworu. "Do not worry little sister, he wants you to have the life you would have been denied."

She looked at the seventeenth angel with a curious look "I am ready."

Kaworu simply nodded and put his left hand on her forehead, and his right on her abdomen where her S-2 engine was. An ethereal glow then enveloped the two and when it ceased, Rei had changed. She now had brownish black hair where it had been an azure blue. And her eyes, her eyes were now a bluish green, instead of the crimson red she's had since she was awakened. The three children were speechless, even Asuka couldn't say much now that Rei looked, well normal. Within seconds though they knew through their link that she was still their Rei. Then Kaworu spoke.

"I hope you live full and happy lives. You all deserve it."

"But, aren't you going to stay and experience that Lillum life you so admired, and fought for?" Shinji asked his friend.

"Though I would have been happy to do that, I'm being called back to answer for the choice I made." He looked at the worried looks they gave him. "Oh do not worry about me, I knew what I was doing plus he did as well. I'm simply being reassigned. So please promise me to live life to the fullest, and the happiest." He then went to hug them. First Rei, who was right there, gave him a sisterly kind of hug and gave him that rare smile she reserved only for her closest friends. He then got a Manly hug with a powerful pat on the back from Touji who quickly thanked him and wrapped his arms around Rei from behind her.

After getting his breath he saw a reluctant Asuka make her way towards him. She regarded him for a few moments before she wrapped her arms around him tentatively and whispered, "Thanks for being Shinji's friend, and for choosing to help us." She the stared at him with a serious look, " It would have torn him up if you had not helped us."

He got the hidden meaning, but smiled at her. "I made my decision because of how much I care for him. Because he is the most purest of Lillum souls, and for his kindness and caring I made my decision." He then took Asuka's hand. "Take care of him, … sister." She looked at him confused, then remembered he was raised by … her father. She looked up at him and simply nodded. As she turned she ran into Shinji's arms. The bewildered boy simply held his girlfriend while looking at his friend.

Kaworu simply nodded and after a few minutes to calm Asuka down she nodded and went to stand next to Touji and Rei. Shinji then approached the departing Angel.

They both then smiled at each other and hugged. A friendly and caring hug. Then Kaworu said, "You and your friends are the best of the Lillum in compassion, strength, and caring. You, my friend even through the adversity of your life, have been able to conquer your feelings of inadequacy and unworthiness with the help and love of your friends and family will make a fine example of why I chose you over my urge to unite with Adam." He then let him go and floated a few feet above them. Then the being known to them as Kaworu Nagisa, and Tabirus, the seventeenth Angel to others simply faded away almost like ashes when the wind blows it away. They stood there, the four remaining Eva pilots, for a few more moments until with a silent mental signal they held hands, and in the same brilliant light shown earlier that week in Terminal Dogma they also disappeared.

________________________________________________________________ _____
Â

Dis-instrumentality

Lillith just disappeared, as well as Gendo's severed hand that contained the embryonic Adam. While the Kaworu clones all seemed to have dissolved, as had the Rei clones. All Eva equipment including the skeletons in Terminal Dogma and the Evas themselves also disappeared at the same time the first and second angel had. SEELE and their cohorts did not escape the initial investigations by the world's major governments, and the UN. Within a few months all were put in trial for the genocide of half the population of earth.
Gendo Ikari and Kouzou Fuyutsuki were found guilty, and given life in prison for Gendo and 20 years in prison for Fuyutsuki.
Ritsuko Akagi had a nervous breakdown, and was in a mental institution for a few months before Misato and Ryoji Katsuragi got her out, with their help, she recovered and is now a researcher for the UN in curing genetic diseases. As for the rest, the Bridge Bunnies went into industrial jobs based on their organisational skills, while one of them, Shigeru Aoba became a popular studio musician. As for Hikari Horaki and Kensuke Aida, their romance cooled to a warm friendship and they are now roommates at Tokyo-2 University.

As for the pilots, well they literally disappeared and haven't been seen since the Terminal Dogma incident. But reports keep coming in from various parts of the world of weird occurrences and of flying people and others simply disappearing.

Five years later;

Four students departed a bus that let them off on the edge of Yokohama University. As the four strolled past the local newspaper heralding "The last of the SEELE Council, Executed!"

The headline brought several sighs from the group, then each boy had taken the hand of each girl. Though all had the normal looks of the average Japanese College students , they knew the girls dyed their hair and all had new identities.

The headline brought several sighs from the group, and then the two boys took the hand of one of the two girls near them, they continued on to their classes, and their futures.

Fin

Author's Notes: Ok first of all yeah several of the characters are a bit OOC, but see I warned you two chapters ago that this was going to have a Sci-fi slant to it, well that's what it's got. I hope you liked it and as with all my stories if you want to do a side story, an A/U, or anything else, just e-mail me and go for it!

dennisud