Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ The First ❯ Session Four: Enter the Dragon ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

NEON GENESIS EVANGELION: THE FIRST


Written by: SaxonBlue



The characters and events in Neon Genesis Evangelion are created and copyrighted by Gainax, Project Eva and ADV Films (amongst others). These are used entirely without permission. Sorry.

Neon Genesis Evangelion: The First created and copyrighted by Nigel Read 2001. This work may not be used or distributed without the prior permission of the author. In particular, the character of Dr Hiroshi Takamura remains the intellectual property of the author. One of the scenes in this instalment of The First is taken directly from the original series; in no way does the author claim this as his original work.


Session Four: Enter the Dragon

Wednesday, 28th October, 2015

Rei Ayanami, First Child and pilot of Evangelion Unit Zero, stared out the classroom window. Both her elbows rested on her desk, and her chin was propped up in her palms. Her pale face showed little emotion except disinterest, and perhaps the slightest hint of boredom. She could hear the Sensei's lecture on pre-Impact history, but his voice seemed distant, as if many miles separated the Sensei from her.

She could sense this separation, this gulf between her and the rest of the world, as if it was a physical thing. But it was not physical; it was only knowledge ... knowledge and secrets. These were the things that separated her from everyone she knew, even from the other pilots.

"Have you seen the new girl?" said one of the male students.

"The redhead?" replied another. "Man, she's so hot! What I wouldn't give to be her boyfriend!"

Rei tried to ignore the boys' whispers, but despite the fact that they were keeping their voices low, their words continued to intrude annoyingly into Rei's consciousness.

"Oh man, yes!"

"I've heard she's another Eva pilot," interjected a third student.

"That's so cool!"

"I wonder if she's got a boyfriend already. Maybe I should ask her to go with me to the pictures."

"No way! She'd never go with a dork with you!"

"Oh yeah!"

"That's enough!" yelled Hikari from the front of the classroom. "Shut up and pay attention to the Sensei!"

Blanching, the boys went silent ...

... but only for a little while.

"I wonder if she and Shinji are an item."

"What?"

"Man, you've got to be kidding."

"I heard when they fought the last Angel, they were naked together in that Evangelion thing."

"No way!"

"Way to go, Shinji!"

Shinji blushed furiously, and desperately tried to slide under his desk.

"Don't make me come back there!" yelled Hikari.

The boys went silent again.

Rei's features darkened, but she kept looking out the window.

==============================

An hour later.

Rei frowned as a shadow fell across her text-book. She shifted her book a little, to move it back into the light, but the shadow followed it.

"Hello!" said a sing-song voice.

Rei glanced sideways at the speaker, not especially pleased by this interruption. Even less pleasing, to Rei's mind, was the large crowd that had gathered to watch this meeting. Perhaps if she didn't make direct eye-contact, the new pilot would go away and leave her in peace.

"You must be Rei Ayanami, the pilot of the prototype," continued the red-haired speaker in the same sing-song. "I'm Asuka ... Asuka Langley Soryu. I'm the designated pilot of Unit Two. Let's be good friends."

"What for?" asked Rei, and continued to read her book.

"Because it would be ... convenient," replied Asuka. "You know what I mean?"

This didn't seem like much of a reason to Rei. She wished Asuka would just leave her alone. "If I am ordered to, I will do it."

"Ooh," said Asuka, slightly taken aback. "Freakazoid."

Rei ignored the insult. Eventually Asuka lost interest and wandered away, taking the crowd with her.

==============================

Saturday, 31st October 2015

Dr Hiroshi Takamura puffed noisily as he jogged down the dreary, hospital-white corridors of NERV headquarters. He had once again been cornered by Dr Akagi, and now he was late for his next appointment.

He passed a couple of NERV security officers in their daunting black uniforms. They turned and watched the doctor curiously. Finally, he reached the door of his office and slid it open. "Good morning, Rei," he said, not even bothering to look, knowing that she would be there.

Rei rose from the high-backed arm chair in front of the doctor's desk, and bowed. "Takamura-san."

"I'm sorry I'm late," said Takamura. He looked up at the wall-clock; it showed 10:18. "Dr Akagi wanted to talk about the new pilot with me, and it took a bit longer than anticipated. I hope you haven't been waiting long."

"Takamura-san," said Rei. She hesitated briefly. "I do not wish to keep you from your work."

"Nonsense, Rei," said Takamura, waving his hand dismissively. He slid into his own chair, then opened a desk drawer and retrieved the audio recorder. "You are my work too." Realising how impersonal that sounded, he added, "You're my favourite patient, you know."

Rei sat down on the edge of her chair, her back very straight and her hands folded demurely in her lap.

Takamura patted the pockets of his jacket, then the pockets of his trousers. He opened another drawer of his desk, and drew out a pen and notepad. He opened the notepad and wrote down a brief note, then turned on the audio recorder.

"Well, Rei," continued the doctor. "Is there anything you'd like to discuss?"

"I do not have any preference," said Rei.

Takamura smiled. "Well then, I get to choose." He nibbled on the end of his pen for a few moments. "You've met Asuka, I take it. What did you think of her?"

"She is a skilled pilot," said Rei blandly.

"Is that what you've observed of her?" asked Takamura. "Or is that just what others have told you?"

"It is what Commander Ikari has told me," said Rei. "I have not observed her piloting, but her synchronisation ratio is higher than mine or Pilot Ikari's."

"Well, I'm sure it is," said the doctor, "but I'm not really interested in her piloting skill or synchronisation ratio. I'm interested in your impression of her as a person."

For once Rei seemed nonplussed. "I do not know. I -" She faltered, and her eyes dropped to her lap. "I do not think I like her. She thinks only of herself."

"From what I've heard," said Takamura, making a note, "she offered to be friends."

"I do not desire her friendship," said Rei.

Takamura raised his eyebrows at that, and made another note. "I wonder. Have you thought that perhaps you might be jealous of her?"

Rei's lips pursed, but no other sign of emotion showed on her face.

"In the beginning there was only you," continued the doctor, "and that suited you just fine, I think. Everyone fussed over you, especially the Commander. Then along came Shinji and stole some of the limelight, but he's too nice a boy to remain angry at for long. Asuka, I think, was just the straw that broke the camel's back. You feel abandoned, and Asuka isn't as nice a person as Shinji, and so you've decided to dislike her."

"You are mistaken," said Rei quietly.

Takamura shrugged, unfazed. "It wouldn't be the first time. So, why don't you tell me what it is?"

"She pilots her Eva for selfish reasons," said Rei simply.

"I shouldn't have thought it was important why she pilots," said Takamura, "as long as she does it well."

"It matters," said Rei firmly.

"Why does it matter?" asked the doctor.

Rei thought on the question for a few seconds before replying. "It matters. The Evas are not robots. They are an extension of the pilot."

"I don't follow you," said Takamura.

Once again Rei did not respond for a few seconds. "For the moment, Pilot Soryu's synchronisation ratio is high, because her desire to pilot is strong. If her reasons for piloting her Eva are selfish, though ... if she pilots only so that she may be praised, then there may come a time when that desire may waver. If that happens, she will no longer be able to pilot her Eva."

Takamura nodded. "I think I understand. What you are saying is that piloting an Eva comes from the heart, and that if the heart falters so does the Eva."

"Yes, Takamura-san," said Rei, looking a little surprised.

The doctor smiled, and made a note. "But what of Shinji? By all accounts, he pilots his Eva in the hope of receiving his father's approval. Isn't that the same?"

"No," said Rei, emphatically shaking her head. "You are mistaken."

"Am I?" asked Takamura.

Rei looked away, and her gaze fell on the bookshelf. "Commander Ikari was also concerned that Pilot Ikari might only be piloting his Eva to gain his approval. I think that is why Commander Ikari has not shown affection towards Pilot Ikari ... he did not wish their bond to interfere with Pilot Ikari's bond with his Eva."

Takamura's eyebrows raised alarmingly, and he made another note. "That's a very interesting theory, Rei, but do you really think that the bond between a father and a son can be so easily broken? I'm not so certain. The bond may change, perhaps, but not disappear entirely. And if it's not a bond of love, then it may become a bond of anger, that most fleeting of all the emotions. Isn't that worse, then, than Asuka piloting out of a desire for praise?"

Rei shook her head. "No, Takamura-san."

"Why is that?" asked the doctor.

"In battle," started Rei cautiously, "anger can be an asset."

"Have you -" The doctor was interrupted by the audio recorder stopping. He quickly replaced the cassette. "Have you ever been angry whilst piloting Unit Zero?"

"No," said Rei simply. "It is not in my nature. But Pilot Ikari's anger makes him a better Eva pilot than I."

"Do you think Shinji pilots out of anger at the treatment he has received at his father's hands?" asked Takamura.

Rei paused, as if only just sensing a well-laid trap, then nodded. "Maybe. But I believe Pilot Ikari also pilots his Eva because his conscience demands it."

"I see," said Takamura. He looked closely at Rei. "Do you think Shinji may pilot because of you? To try and protect you?"

"I do not know," said Rei. She spoke quietly, unemotionally, but her eyes dropped nervously to her lap.

Takamura smiled. "Yes, I think he might. Does that idea bother you, then?"

Rei glanced up at the clock, then stood up. "It is time."

Takamura looked up at the clock; it showed 10:40. "Rei, wait."

"I cannot. Dr Akagi has scheduled tests for me in five minutes. Good day, Takamura-san." Rei bowed respectfully, then quickly left the office.

Cursing under his breath, Takamura tossed his notepad at the clock. It connected, and the clock fell noisily to the ground. He cursed again, and this time it was not under his breath.

==============================

A couple of hours later.

A manilla folder tucked under his left arm, Takamura knocked twice on the door in front of him.

"Come in."

Dr Takamura slid open the door, and entered. The office was very comfortable, and had a window that overlooked the Geo-Front.

"Hiroshi," said Sub-Commander Fuyutski warmly. "How are you?"

"I'm well, thankyou Kouzou," replied Takamura. "And yourself?"

"Not getting too much sleep since the incident with the Sixth Angel," replied Fuyutski. "Apart from that, I don't suppose I can complain. What can a do for you, Hiroshi?"

Takamura flourished the manilla folder. "Interim reports on Rei and Shinji."

Fuyutski raised an eyebrow. "Dr Akagi was beginning to think you were never going to report your findings. She's been pressuring the Commander into having NERV security raid your office. Of course, I advised the Commander that such drastic measures weren't necessary." He pointed at a green tray filled to capacity with reports and memos. "Leave them there."

Takamura dropped the folder into the tray, and turned to leave.

"Wait a moment, Hiroshi," said Fuyutski hesitantly. "I've a question. You mentioned a little while back about some sort of bond developing between Shinji and Rei.?"

"Did I?" asked Takamura. "I don't remember."

"You did," said Fuyutski firmly. "I just wanted to know whether there were any signs that this was developing into anything stronger."

"Not especially," said Takamura. "I wouldn't have thought it would be such a bad thing, though, if it did."

"Maybe," said Fuyutski cautiously. "Still, I wonder if, when Unit Zero is repaired, we shouldn't hold Rei back for a little while, and let Shinji and Asuka handle things."

"You object to the bond Shinji and Rei have?" asked Takamura.

"Not in itself," said Fuyutski, "but the Commander is concerned that it may unnecessarily complicate things, that it may distract them in battle."

"Well, you may be right," said Takamura, but he looked unconvinced. "I think Rei may be getting a bit restless, though ... well, as restless as Rei is capable of getting, anyway. I shouldn't keep her out of Unit Zero for too long."

"Your objections are noted," said Fuyutski.

"By which you mean," said Takamura, "that you intend to ignore them altogether." He raised a hand to stop the Sub-Commander's objections. "I know. You probably have your own reasons." He gestured towards the pile of reports and memos. "I'll leave you to your work then. Good day, Kouzou."

"Good day, Hiroshi," responded Fuyutski, turning his attention to the memo in front of him.

After Takamura had left the office, a side door opened and Commander Ikari entered.

"Well?" asked Fuyutski, looking up. "What do you think?"

"Was it necessary to tell him of our intention to separate Rei and my son?" asked Gendo, frowning.

"I'm sorry," said Fuyutski, grinning. "It just slipped out."

Gendo looked at the Sub-Commander oddly. "Slipped out? Is that really what happened?"

"So, do we still proceed?" asked Fuyutski, ignoring the Commander's questions.

Gendo smiled grimly. "We proceed."


Author's Comments

Well, at least this instalment didn't take a full year to write like Session Three!

I imagine that, given the title of this instalment, many readers might have thought that I was about to engage in some gratuitous Asuka-bashing. Believe me, such a thing couldn't have been further from my mind. I have the same feelings of sympathy towards Asuka as I do towards the other Eva pilots. Rei is my favourite, of course, but I don't dislike the other pilots.

Nevertheless, it was necessary to write this instalment from the perspective of my central character, Rei, and it was obvious from the start that those two actively disliked each other. Rei hid her feelings a bit better than Asuka, perhaps, but the animosity was still there. If (and this is a really big 'if') I ever wrote a similar series with Asuka as the central character, then I would certainly present the alternative viewpoint.

I would really appreciate any constructive comments on this and previous instalments of The First. My current email address is nread@transport.wa.gov.au. And look out for Session Five: Past and Present. Coming to a cinema near you! :-)