One Piece Fan Fiction ❯ Sitting on the Waves ❯ No Size Fits Her ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

ONE PIECE

SITTING ON THE WAVES

CHAPTER 2
BY
Sgamer82


     Redis ca village consisted of a good-sized little town about half a mile from a small dock where visitors and local sailors moored their ships. Halfway between the town and the docks was a single building. The building was painted in pastel colors, the lower halves of the walls decorated with children’s various paintings and colorings. The front and back ends of the building had a white fence on the edges, forming a rectangle with the actual structure right in the middle.

     The Chibi no Mi (or “Little Fruit”) Nursery was an orphanage. A place where those who had lost their families might eventually find a happy home.

     Nami walked the path into town (no way she was paying good Berries to ride a distance she knew she could walk) and crossed by it. She found two of her crewmates at the orphanage, apparently having a good time with the kids.

     Usopp had a captive audience as he told some of the kids, sitting around him in a circle, about the Straw Hat crew’s many exploits. She managed to catch a bit of his current story. He was depicting his and Chopper’s fight in Alabasta with the Baroque Works agents, Mr. 4 and Miss Merry Christmas. Most of the kids sat and listened, entranced. Though one girl in particular kept piping in with questions and even corrections for Usopp’s tale.

     Luffy was on the other side of the road, laughing as some of the more active youngsters pulled and twisted his rubber body around. A blond-haired girl and dark skinned boy were currently holding on to his arms and running around Luffy as though here were a big rubber maypole.

     With all the laughing, happy kids around, Nami couldn’t help but smile herself. She waved at Luffy and Usopp as she walked by. Usopp waved back but Luffy was currently so twisted he couldn’t get his arms up. Though he did shout out a greeting. Nami looked to the main building of the orphanage and saw a young-looking woman standing at the door, watching the children. Nami recognized her immediately as the woman in charge of the orphanage. Her name was Leda.

     She and Sanji had met her shortly after arriving on the island. Sanji had insisted on escorting her into town. Upon passing the orphanage, Leda had insisted Sanji put out his cigarette. She found it a filthy habit and didn’t want any of her kids picking up on it. Sanji, unable to resist a lady’s request, did as asked.

     Nami waved at the motherly-looking woman as she walked by. Nami would have stopped to chat, but she wanted to get to the clothing shops any of the good stuff got bought out.
* * * * *

     In a clothing shop dressing room, Nami discarded her sixth outfit and began trying a seventh. She couldn’t get what was wrong. Each outfit she had tried so far was too big. She checked each and every label. They were all her size. Did Redisca’s fashion designers use some different size scale she wasn’t aware of.

     Nami took off the seventh outfit. Again, too large. This was ridiculous. She was frustrated to try on anymore clothes. She reached for the T-shirt she’d been wearing when she came in when, by pure chance, she caught a glimpse of something out of the corner of her eye. She looked over her shoulder to get a better look.

* * * * *

     At a café not far from the clothing shop, Roronoa Zoro, Niko Robin, and Sanji were eating and talking until they heard a scream that sounded very much like Nami’s voice.