One Piece Fan Fiction ❯ That Luffy ❯ Nami ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: I don't own One Piece. It is copyright of Eiichiro Oda.

(A/N: I have very little knowledge of One Piece. I've only read the manga up to chapter 13. So forgive me if some of the facts aren't right. This story takes place thirty years after Nami meets Luffy. These are Nami's thoughts when she first met Luffy.)

Nami's POV

When I first saw Luffy, I thought he was the strangest being on the planet. The way he flew down from the sky like a bird (well actually, in a bird's mouth). At that time I thought only to use him to escape from Buggy's henchmen. I never did find out why he was on the bird in the first place. I'll probably never know.

Then, right after I saw him defeat the henchmen like it was nothing, I asked him to join up with me. After all, a girl does need protection. Especially when she's got ugly, blood- thirsty pirates chasing after her. I was so annoyed when he flat out refused me. I can't believe he had turned down fortune like that! He started to walk away from me so I decided to follow him.

A little while later I showed the house where I had temporarily made my home. I told him the current situation of the town and all about Buggy. That's when he asked me to be the navigator on his pirate ship. I couldn't believe. Not in a million years would I be a pirate! Never! But I decided to use this to my advantage. I tied him up and took him to Buggy. Thankfully, Buggy didn't see through my plan, so I became part of the crew. That is, until he told me to kill Luffy.

I couldn't do it. I just couldn't do it! Never in my life would I sink so low as to kill another human being! I would sink to the level of a pirate then. I stood there motionless for so long, one of Buggy crewmates came and lit the fuse. Oh great. I couldn't fight Buggy's crew and save that idiot at the same time. I was in big trouble.

Then, Zoro came. To be honest, he kind of freaked me out at first. I had heard stories about this guy. On how he was ruthless, cruel. Later, I would realize what I had heard about him was wrong. What I had thought about Luffy was wrong too. They were like no pirates I had ever seen before. They had hearts, and that is what mattered. They would sacrifice themselves to save the others. They became my friends. And I became a pirate.

I realized that people can change as I did. I went from being a thief with no friends, only enemies to a navigator on a pirate ship. And now, thirty years later, I look back on that day. The day when I met Luffy.