Original Stories Fan Fiction / Fan Fiction / Angels Fan Fiction ❯ Blood through Our Veins ❯ Crying in the Rain ( One-Shot )

[ A - All Readers ]

Crying in The Rain
 
Katrina's POV
 
I ran outside, anxious to get away from the house as far as possible. Once again, Mother took pleasure in rambling about my “cursed” being, blaming me for yet another petty misfortune of hers. This time however, she went as far as throwing plastic wares at me. She should have known it was useless, with my training and all that.
I slowed down as soon as I was out of her reach. I had reached the lake. Its surface was dark bluish, reflecting the skies above. I slowly waded into the water. Bending over to look at my reflection, I was slightly surprised as teardrops fell. It seems that I was so into running that I hadn't noticed the tears coming. Thunder lowly groaned above me. As I look up, rain began to fall.
 
I'll never let you see
The way this broken heart
Is hurting me
 
I kept my face up and allowed the rain to wash me. A familiar coolness wrapped around me, and I felt safe once again. The steady rhythm of rainfall cooed me until I finally broke down and cried. I was grateful for the rain. For those hopeless romantics, they love the rain because according to them, it always cried with them. It was the symbolism of the weeping sky. Pathetic.
 
I've got my pride and I know how to hide
All these sorrow and pain
I'll do my crying in the rain
 
The sky never cries. it has no reason to cry. Does it experience pain as much as humans do? No. Only man is condemned to such emotions. Besides, rain is only a natural phenomenon. It poured harder as I cried my heart out, cursing my fate. I think of my life if I were just an ordinary kid, no worries, no secrets. Stupid. These only made me feel worse.
 
If I wait for stormy skies
You won't know the rain
From the tears in my eyes
 
I'm really happy whenever it rains, despite whatever emotional conflicts I may be having. It has become my refuge, my protection. Bitter tears can come and go as they easily blend with the cool raindrops on my face. Come to think of it, nobody has ever seen me cry, not even Father. The worse state they have seen me in is when I have puffy red eyes, post-crying condition. Whatever happens, I cannot afford to let anybody see this weakness of mine.
 
You'll never know that I still love you so
Only the heartache remain
I'll do my crying in the rain
 
Yes, nobody has ever seen me cry before. And I have no intention of letting anyone see me…over my dead rotting body…I hid in the dark places whenever I cry when I was younger, but Genjyo once told me that darkness can be penetrated by light…Eek…As far as I know, rain is still the perfect cover, totally flawless. Day or night, it disguises every single part of me, from the shivers to the tears. It is the perfect alibi.
I remained standing in the rain, crying while it last. Eventually the rain stopped, with sunshine breaking through the clouds. Right on cue, somebody called out my name.
“Katrina!” I swiped away stray tears (or raindrops, I can't tell the difference), and turned around. I saw my brother running towards the lake, waving his hands like a maniac. “I've been looking all over for you!” he panted. He paused as he surveyed me. “Been under the rain again?”
“Rain is my favorite weather.” I weakly replied. His silly grin faded as he looked at me seriously. “What has mother done to you again?”
I shrugged. “Just the usual arguments,” I was taken aback as he embraced me, disregarding my wet body. “I'm sorry I can't be there for you,” he whispered, rubbing small circles in my back. “especially when you cry.”
I closed my eyes and let myself melt in his arms. “It's OK, Besides, you're here right now.”
That's why I loved my brother. He knows my rendezvous with the rain. He knows how I hate being seen at my vulnerable moments. He, although reluctantly, always leaves me alone in the rain to cry. Sure, he can be a jerk at times, but after all, he is my brother.
“Alright now?” he asked as we parted.
“Better,” I assured him, smiling at last. “Thanks, Duke!”
“Anytime," he ruffled my hair.
“Hey! What's that for!”
“Squirt.”
“Don't call me `squirt'!”
He laughed. “Catch me if you can, squirt!” he teased. He jumped into the tree branches, laughing like a maniac.
I sighed. Yup, that's my brother.