Original Stories Fan Fiction / Realism Fan Fiction ❯ When Dreams Fade ❯ Where's Erik? ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Author’s Note: Sorry the last chapter was so short. -.-; I was kind of in a rush. I was sleepy and sick and I just wanted to get to bed. This one might be longer. I’m not sure yet. I’ll either have a million short chapters or a few long ones. We’ll see.



When Dreams Fade
-
Chapter Two
-
© 2006 Ohne Sie
-




Erik wasn’t in school the next day, which kind of got us worried. Nikolas said that we probably shouldn’t worry about it. If Erik was in real trouble, he would have told us something. Hana and I agreed with that. Who wouldn’t tell his best friends if something was seriously wrong? Still, in choir, I couldn’t help wondering where he was.

“Okay, take your seats, everyone!” Mr. Dran had actually raised his voice for once, so everyone, even the noisy freshmen, listened and scampered to their seats. “I’m going to try to teach you today,” he told us. “Hana, could you come here and pass the music out?”

Hana jumped out of her seat and ran to the front of the classroom. Hana was probably not the best choice to do Mr. Dran a favor. Then again, she actually performed the task without incident…almost. There was one boy who apparently said something Hana didn’t like. So as Hana was handing him his music, she kicked his shin–hard. As the kid yelped in pain, Hana apologized, but when she turned around, I could see the satisfied grin on her face.

When she got to the soprano section I tried to ask her what he’d said to upset her, but she shook her head. “Some things are best not repeated. But I now have a new enemy.” She glared at the boy. I then realized that this was the same boy Hana had been glaring at the day before.

“Hana, how did you know…?” I asked.

“Huh? Oh, yesterday? That he was smelly and vile? Well…he smelled bad. That has nothing to do with what happened today.” She sat down next to me and opened up her music. “What, exactly, is this?”

Misty Morning? No idea,” I replied. I flipped through the music, paying attention to the lyrics, and laughed. “What the hell? This song belongs in Bambi or something.”

Hana shook her head. “Really. ‘It was a misty morning on the top of a hill/with all the trees below me standing quiet and still/when in a distant voice I thought I heard someone say/It’s just a misty morning thanking God for today.’ Ew.”

A nearby girl mumbled, “I’ll thank God if we never have to sing this piece of shit.” Her friends laughed. “I refuse to sing it.”

Hana arched an eyebrow and leaned over the girl’s chair. “You know, if you boycott the music, you fail. Is that what you want?”

“I don’t care. This class is a free ride.”

“I care. I don’t want the entire choir ruined because of your stupidity.” Hana narrowed her eyes. “Don’t misunderstand me. If you don’t sing, I will kill you. So either sing it or switch classes. It’s the second day of the semester. You can still change it” Then she patted the girl on her head and settled back in her seat. The girl turned around to stare at her. “You’ll make the right choice,” Hana decided finally.

“Hana, aren’t you being hard on her?” I asked. “I mean, we don’t like the music, either.”

“We’ll sing it, though. We don’t disappoint Mr. Dran.” She smiled and looked over at Nikolas, who was a few seats over, in the miniscule bass section. “Hey, Niko, have you read this stuff yet?”

He nodded. “Yeah. It’s…um…”

“Gay,” one of the sophomore boys substituted for him. “It’s really gay.”

“Don’t use gay as an insult,” a girl said.

“In this case, it’s accurate, though, so it’s okay to use it,” I said. Hana laughed.

“True. It is accurate.” Suddenly she stood up and ran to Mr. Dran’s desk. “Mr. Dran? Can Alana and I please use your phone? Her mom is supposed to pick me up from school and I need to make sure she remembers.”

“Huh?” Mr. Dran looked at her first, and then at me. I nodded, trying to be helpful and not look entirely confused. I had no idea what Hana was doing, though. “I guess…be quick about it, though…”

“Thank you!” Hana grabbed my hand and dragged me to the phone. She started dialing numbers when Nikolas came over.

“That’s Erik’s number,” he whispered.

“I know,” Hana told him. “I’m worried, alright? I’ve been sitting here thinking about it, and then that freshman said something that got me more worried.”

“What did he say?” I asked.

“Shh,” Hana told me, holding up a hand. “It’s ringing.” She waited for a few seconds. “Hello? Is Erik there?” Someone said something on the other line. “Okay…” She frowned and looked at us. “Yeah, um, I guess it’s my mistake. Sorry…” She hung up, looking puzzled. “He’s not there. His brother said he went to school.” She shook her head. “Guys, I think there really is something horribly wrong.”


Author’s note (Again?!): Heh. This chapter was short, too. Shorter, even. Oops…