Original Stories Fan Fiction / Romance Fan Fiction / Angels Fan Fiction ❯ Heaven and the Damned ❯ The Angel ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Heaven and the Damned
Chapter One- The Angel
WB: S.N.G
 
“Is there anything else you can tell me about why you turned to anorexia?”
“No.”
“Alice, the more we know the more we can help you.”
I remained silent, watching the woman in front of me chew on her pen.
“Okay. Well, I guess this is a good start. So, how about you tell me a little more about your every day life.”
“Like what?”
“Tell everything you do from waking up in the morning to when you go to bed at night.”
I sighed and slumped down farther in my chair. “I wake up, take a shower sometimes…brush my teeth…get dressed…”
“What about the pills?” Mrs. Gardner rushed, her voice irritated.
“Um, I would take them after my shower or after getting dressed.”
“Where do you keep them?”
“In a drawer in my bathroom.”
“Don't you ever think that in that location they would be easily seen by, say, your mother or father?”
“They respect my privacy,” I spat. This woman was seriously pissing me off. All she did was sit in her little cushioned chair and nod her head to everything that I would say. Then, she would ask question after question, like she was expecting some major break through that defiantly wasn't going to happen.
“Well, maybe they shouldn't have.”
“Either way I would have ended up here, so why does this matter?”
Mrs. Gardner shut her eyes slowly, causing wrinkles in her forehead to show.
“Alright. But say if they had found them earlier…”
“Then I would still be fat and still have problems.”
I could see that I was beginning to push her, and, as much as I knew I shouldn't, I loved it.
“Alice, why didn't you simply go to your parents and tell them about the issues you had with your body?”
I shot up from my slouching, and sat up straight, my legs crossed in front of me.
“You think I didn't? I went to my mom all the time! You know what she said? “Oh, Alice, you're beautiful! Oh, Alice stop it with the self-esteem crap. Alice, you look fine! Stop acting like you're so ugly, Alice.” All she did was make the matter worse. It didn't matter to me what she or anyone else said. I saw the truth every time I looked into a God damned mirror. I wasn't the little princess everyone claimed me as; I wasn't little at all.”
Mrs. Gardner wrote something down in her folder, and then placed it on the table next to her. “Our time is up for today, Alice. I'll see you on Sunday. It was nice to get to know you.”
I ignored her words and focused on making my way out of the tiny room.
 
“Hi, I'm Alyssa.”
I glanced at the ginning blonde next to me. Her smile was almost as bright as the lights above us. I examined her golden locks, and watched as they bounced whenever she moved her head.
“I'm Alice.”
“That's a very pretty name.”
At least she was nice.
“Thanks.”
“So why are you here?” I watched as Alyssa twisted one of her locks around her index finger, her smile continuing to shine as brightly as ever.
“Anorexia. You?”
“Bulimia.”
Suddenly, Rem popped into my head. I found myself having to blink excessively to remove her image.
“So, you're new here, right?”
“Yea.”
“Are you one of the day timers?”
The stereotype didn't seem as welcoming as she had meant it to come across as.
“Uh, yea.”
“Lucky, I would give anything to be able to go home.” For the first time, Alyssa's smile faded into a grim frown. I couldn't help but feel sorry for her.
“Um, how long have you been here?” Might as well keep the conversation going, I thought.
“Six months.”
“Wow.”
“Yea. I still have three more to go. I was suppose to be out by March, but I had a horrible relapse, and was told that I had to stay here even longer.”
“That sucks. I'm sorry.”
“Eh, what can you do? Thanks though. So, do you live in Virginia?”
“Oh, no. I'm staying with my aunt for the summer so I can come here. I'm from North Carolina.”
“Oh, that's cool. I'm from Georgia.”
“So, do you get the chance to talk to your parents much?”
“Sometimes. They give you access to phones and all, but I can't find much time to call them, except on the weekends during break.”
“Break?”
“Yea, on Saturdays and Friday nights, they give us kind of like a “weekend”, so we won't go completely crazy.”
“Oh. That's nice…I guess.”
“Yea…I guess.”
“All right people! Make a circle please!” a voice boomed from the doorway. I turned to see a short, Asian woman standing by the door. A large binder was tucked under her left arm, and a cup of coffee in her hand.
“Circle please!”
“Who's that?”
Alyssa smoothed her hair as she responded, “Mrs. Zheng. She's our group therapy director.”
I watched as Mrs. Zheng sat down on what appeared to be her “usual” spot on the floor. She glanced around, examining faces in our circle and then stopped when she came to mine.
“Are you Alice?”
I nodded.
“Hey, Alice. I'm Mrs. Zheng. It's nice to meet you.”
Now I could feel every eye in the room on me.
“You too,” I nearly whispered.
“Alright girls, today I'd like you to meet our newest member to the group.” Mrs. Zheng motioned her hand in a “Vanna White” way to me. “This is Alice Rye.”
Murmurs of “Hey's” and “Hi's” filled the room until our director silenced them.
“Okay, should we begin?”
I glanced around at all the faces in the circle. Cutters, bingers like Alyssa, anorexics like me, obvious drug addicts, there was at least one of every disorder in the room.
“Alice,” Mrs. Zheng began, “why don't you start today. Let us get to know you. First, start with your name and age, then let us now what you're here for.”
I felt like I was in one of those reality shows about people who were hooked on alcohol. I could just see myself standing up saying “Hi, I'm Alice Rye and I have a problem with alcohol.” I cringed at the thought.
“I'm Alice…I'm fourteen, and I'm…here for anorexia.”
“Alice, we do this so that everyone can get to feeling comfortable with their problem. Not hide from it.” Mrs. Zheng smiled and then turned to the group. “Let's make sure Alice feels welcomed for as long as she's here, okay?”
More murmurs filled the room. I turned to Alyssa whose smile had returned to her pink lips.
“Alright, girls, let's get started.”
 
* * *
“So how was your first day?”
“Okay.”
“Anything…exciting happen?” Aunt Judy took a bite of her salad as I pretended to think of “exciting” things that had happened at the treatment center.
“Um, well, to replace my “bad pills” I got “good pills” to make up for my “irresponsible eating habits”.”
“Oh Dear Lord.” Steve dropped his hamburger and rested his forehead on his knuckles. “You're kidding? They said that?”
“Yea. Every word.”
“ “Bad pills” and “good pills”? “Irresponsible eating habits”? I can't believe this. I thought they were suppose to be encouraging you to stop anorexia, not turn you to suicide. At least that's how I would feel if I were in your shoes.”
“So what do these “good pills” do?” Aiden asked.
“They are supposed to make up for the vitamins and minerals that I've been missing. Once I start eating regularly again, I can stop taking them.”
“Well, that makes since. It's the way they introduced them to you that was absurd.”
“I agree. You're not four for God sakes.” Aunt Judy stated before she took another bite of her salad.
There was a long moment of silence before someone talked again.
“Hey, Alice, you want to meet up with everybody after lunch?”
I picked at my “lunch” that had been placed in front of me. Due to my “irresponsible eating habits” I couldn't eat much food because my body wasn't use to it, so my lunch consisted of a piece of dry toast. I had the choice of adding a light amount of butter to it, but I had figured that there was really no point.
“Sure. Where are we going?”
“The dock.”
“Aiden, it's supposed to rain today.”
“ So? The pond isn't that far from here. If it rains we'll just run back.”
“Aiden, I don't think that it would be that simple. You all would get drenched,” Steve stated.
“It'll be fine.”
“Have you cleaned the basement?”
“Yes.”
“How about you, Alice? Do you have everything that you need? I told Aiden to help you unpack, has he?”
I glanced at Aiden who appeared irritated by his mother's question.
“Yes, he has.”
“That's good. I hope you don't mind sleeping in the guest room upstairs. I know that it's somewhat away from everything.”
“It's fine. It beats sleeping in the basement with, Aiden,” I teased.
“Hey! My room is amazing, to let you know! I've spent years working on that room!” Aiden protested, a smirk plastered across his face.
“M-hmm.”
“Anyway, so can we go?”
“I suppose.”
“Alright. Alice, are you done with lunch?”
Everyone glanced at my slightly picked at toast. “Uh, yea.”
“Are you sure you had enough, honey?”
“M-hmm.”
“Okay. You two be careful, and call if…”
“Something goes wrong. We know. Bye Mom, Steve.”
Aiden and I pushed in our chairs and then headed out the door, into the humid air.
 
“Of all places, you guys pick the dock.” Remiee stepped over a fallen tree, aware of the thorn bush that lay ahead of her if she were to fall.
“It's fun down here. Besides, what else is there to do?”
“The mall, walk around town, the park…for God sakes! Alice, can you help me?”
I chuckled slightly once I noticed Rem. Her shirt had been caught by a branch, which refused to let go.
“Okay, hold on.” As I went for Remiee, I didn't notice that there was a fallen branch beneath me. When I went to take a step closer to Rem, I tripped and lost my balance. I wobbled until I started to fall over the side of the ledge; where I would land in the mucky water below.
As I went to scream, I realized that I wasn't falling, nor was I in water. I opened my eyes to Seth's glorious face just inches from mine, and his arms wrapped tightly around me.
“Whoa, Seth, Superman much?” Hiroshi joked, as Seth pulled me farther away from the ledge.
Seth smiled at this. “Are you okay, Alice?”
He said my name, I thought. I felt like a little girl with a crush on a guy much out of her league. Speechless, I gazed into Seth's emerald eyes and nodded.
“Alice! I'm so sorry! Stupid tree! No! Ya'll are the stupid ones!” Remiee pointed a finger towards the group of guys in front of us. “If ya'll hadn't decided to come down here, this wouldn't have happened!”
Seth let go of his grip on me, much to my disappointment, but continued to watch me, as if afraid I would turn into a cluts again.
“You didn't have to come.” Hiroshi reminded.
“Why don't we go hang out around town?” I offered.
“We're never gonna end up going to the dock.” Aiden moaned.
“I swear you guys are acting like ten year olds!” Remiee bellowed, as she started to turn around.
“Aiden, why don't ya'll stay here? Remiee and me can go into town together and meet up with you guys later.”
“Are you sure you don't want me to go with you?”
“We're not kids, Aiden.”
“Yea, you kind of are.”
I glared at Hiroshi who turned his head to pretend like he hadn't noticed.
“Bye.” Remiee grabbed my arm and started to pull me away from the group of guys.
“Suit yourselves.” I saw Hiroshi shrug out of the corner of my eye and then all three of the guys grew out of sight.
 
“I don't know what their problem is.” Remiee took another sip of her smoothie and then motioned for me to have some.
I took a small sip and then set it down on the table. “You let everything get to you.”
“No I don't! It's just them. I let them get to me.”
I laughed lightly, “Why?”
“Just…oh I don't know. Don't they bother you?”
“I have Xander, remember? I'm use to it.”
Remiee laughed, “How could I forget? I guess having step brothers that are in their twenties doesn't help, does it?”
“I wouldn't think so.” I smiled and then turned my head to glance at the other shops around us.
“Hey, Alice?”
“Hmm?”
“What do you think of Harris?”
I focused my attention back on my friend, “Why?”
“I just want to hear your input about him is all.” A small blush crept across Remiee's cheeks, as she took another sip of her smoothie.
“He's nice, I guess. I don't really talk to him much. I normally just talk to Aiden and Hiroshi.”
“Yeah…he's really cool, y' know?”
“Sure.”
“Sure? Well…I mean…”
“Since you've already told me that you like Harris, what are you getting at?”
“He's seventeen…”
“And?”
“And…I'm only fourteen…”
“Soon to be fifteen though,” I reminded.
“Yea…well…if you think about it. Say we started dating, in two years he'll be out of high school, that means he'll be going away for college while I'll be a junior.”
“Sometimes these things work out.”
“And then sometimes they don't.”
“Why are you already talking about you and Harris dating, Rem?”
Rem stayed quiet for a long while until she responded. “He asked me out yesterday while you were over at the Nagasawa's.”
I starred at Remiee, trying to read her expression. Her dyed, red bangs blew in her face as a gust of wind blew by. I starred at her eyebrow piercing, trying to focus on something other than the fact that she was obviously distressed; something that hardly ever happened to her.
“I really like him.”
“I can see that.”
“I don't want to make a mistake though…not like I've had too much experience to know if I really am…” Rem sighed as she glanced over her shoulder to look at a group of teens leaving the shop next to our table.
“Remiee,” I paused to gather together all I wanted to say to her, “if you honestly think that this is a bad idea, then don't go into it, but if it's you two breaking up, or whatever else that may happen in the future, that you're worried about…then of course you have every right to be worried, but don't you think that you two deserve a chance?”
Remiee smiled after giving my words a moment to sink in, “For a girl who has been in only one relationship her whole life, you sure do act like you're a pro.”
I sighed with relief that I had helped at least a little bit. “I try.”
“You're right, we do deserve a chance.”
“You know, I've never seen you act so helpless over a guy.”
“Oh shut up.” Rem smiled as she stood up.
I stood too and pushed in my chair. “Where too?”
“I don't know. How about we walk back to my house?”
“Is anyone home?”
“I think James is. He's visiting from England.”
“Really? I thought he was the one that was like “disowned “ by your mom and step-dad.”
“No, that's Will. He's in prison again anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter.” Remiee laughed at the thought.
“Is he now? What country this time, and for how long?”
“Scotland, ten years.”
“Ten?”
“Rape.”
The expression on my face showed my shock.
“I know.”
“That's kind of scary…”
“Tell me about it. I'm the one that's related to him! Well, somewhat…”
We both laughed as we started walking back towards the neighborhood.
“I think that I'm gonna head back to Aiden's.”
“Okay…why?”
“I'm sort of tired. I didn't get much sleep last night.”
“Therapy nerves?”
I nodded.
“Yea, I had them too the night before my first day.”
I nodded again, wishing that the subject hadn't been brought up.
“How did it go?”
“Okay, I guess.”
“Did they give you meds?”
“Yea.”
“Yea.”
“I'm not really in the mood to talk about “therapy” or whatever.”
“I bet. Alright.”
We were quiet for a minute, when I had decided to break it.
“Do you know a girl named Alyssa?”
Remiee thought for a moment before responding. “No, I don't think so. Why?”
“I met her today at the treatment center. She's a bulimic.”
“Hmm, I'm pretty sure I don't know her. How long has she been there?”
“Six months.”
“Is she an over night patient?”
“Yea.”
“Nope. Don't know her. Why? Is she giving you trouble or something?”
“No. The opposite. She's really nice, and…perky.”
Remiee burst into laughter, “What? Is she like a perky freak?”
“Okay, maybe not perky, just overly happy to a degree.”
“Wow. I'll keep an eye out when I go back on Monday.”
“Yea. She really is nice, though. She has this smile that could be mistaken for a light bulb. She's really pretty too.”
“Hmm.”
“Yea.”
BOOM!
“Damn.”
Just after the boom of the thunder had sounded, it started to pour down rain.
“Shit! Come on!” Remiee took off, leaving me to follow behind her.
 
* * *
 
“Didn't I tell you two? Alice, take off those clothes, I'll go get you a towel.”
“Okay.” I glanced around the kitchen, making sure I didn't have any unwanted company, and slipped off my drenched T-shirt.
“Here you go.” Aunt Judy handed me a thick purple towel and then reached for the shirt in my hands. “Make sure you take your jeans off too. I'll just place those in the dryer. They don't look too dirty. What about the shirt? Do you want me to just go ahead and wash it?”
“No, that's fine. It can just dry too.”
Judy nodded and then opened the door to the basement to go place my clothes in the drier.
“I'll be back up in a minute!” she yelled.
“Okay!”
I glanced at myself in a mirror that was hung up it the living room. I starred at my pale, half naked body, and my drenched hair. The rain had soaked all the way through my clothes causing not only my jeans and shirt to get wet but my bra and panties as well.
Wrapping the towel around my body, I ambled towards the bathroom to take off my under garments.
 
“I wonder where Aiden is.” Aunt Judy stated, as she cut up some vegetables for the stew she was making for dinner.
“They're probably over at Hiroshi's.”
“Emm,” Judy hummed as she nodded. “Why weren't you with them?”
“Remiee and I wanted to go into town for a while. The guys were becoming to much for us.”
“Ha! I bet. Well, did you two have fun?”
“Yea, we talked about Cedar Wood I little bit.”
“Oh, well that's good. I hope you can find a way to at least somewhat enjoy it over there.”
“I will. I just don't like how all these adults hover over you, and tell you everything you already know.”
“That's therapy for you. But it really will help you, Alice.”
I nodded, while smoothing my towel. I had been too lazy to go upstairs and change back into actual clothes, so Judy said she didn't mind my prancing around for a while in a towel. She said she would walk around the house in a towel too when the guys were out.
“I know it will…but that doesn't mean I have to like it.”
Aunt Judy chuckled and then reached to give me a small hug. “That's right.”
“Hey, Mom! Is it okay if Hiroshi comes…?”
I turned to face the two seventeen year old boys standing in the middle of the living room, one of which being my cousin, the other Hiroshi.
“Aiden! Hiroshi!” Aunt Judy hurried to step in front of me, but it was too late. The damage had been done. I could feel not my face, but my whole body turning red.
“Aiden, would you two at least turn around?” Judy stayed in front of me, her hands spread out like she was planning to fly.
“Uh…yea.” Aiden turned as Hiroshi, also blushing madly, followed shortly after.
“Alice, go through the dining room to get upstairs.”
“Okay.”
While I made my exit, I could hear Aunt Judy, who sounded very irritated, asking Aiden exactly, “where the hell he had been”.
 
“Are you dressed this time?” Aiden questioned, his hand over his eyes.
“Very funny.”
“I'm serious! Are you?”
“Yes, I'm dressed.”
“Thank you.” Aiden sat back in the couch, as I sat myself down in Steve's recliner.
“Where's Hiroshi?”
“Bathroom. I think he's been traumatized.”
“He's been traumatized? What about me? I'm the victim here!”
“I just think it was a little too much for…never mind?”
“No, what?”
“I said never mind.”
“Ai-”
“Is she dressed?”
“Yea.”
Hiroshi entered the living room, with his eyes slightly squinted.
“God! You're making me feel like I'm an ugly cow.”
“It's not…” Aiden started, but was interrupted by Hiroshi.
“That's what you get for prancing around the house in a towel.”
“Hey! I at least live here…at the moment!”
“Uh-huh, sure.”
“Uh!”
“Hiroshi, knock it off.”
“What?”
“You're pissin' her off, and you're forgetting that she does live here.”
“Oh!”
“Shut up, Alice.”
“Make me.”
“Yea, you're so not a kid. Right…”
“I'm not!”
“You're acting like one!”
“So are you!”
“No I'm not!”
“HIROSHI! ALICE! I'm older than you both making you both children in my eyes. No cut it out now! I'm sick of hearing you're pointless arguing!”
Hiroshi and I sat stunned as we watched Aunt Judy proceed back into the kitchen.
“Good going, dumb ass.” Hiroshi whispered as he tapped me on the head.
“Ow!”
“Hiroshi, cut it out!”
“God, Aiden, what's your problem? I'm just messing with her.”
“Oh, yea, “messing”,” I snorted.
“Really, Hiroshi. You two are staying away from each other, all night.”
“Wait…all night?”
Aiden glanced at me, his eyes drained.
“Hiroshi is staying over tonight.”
“Why?” I groaned. I found myself recalling my baseball theory.
“Because I want him too.”
“Damn…it's just like being home…”
Aiden smirked, “I bet it is.”
 
* * *
 
“Do you mind if I go over to Remiee's after dinner?”
“As long as you're back before eleven.”
“I will be.”
“Would you like the boys to walk you down there?”
I glared at Judy with an “are you insane?” expression.”
“I guess not.” Judy smiled and then went back to her dinner.
“Why are you going to Remiee's?” Aiden questioned.
“To get away from you two.”
“Nice, Alice, very nice.” Hiroshi mocked.
“I'm not stupid. I can hardly put up with you two outside let alone inside a house.”
“Be careful when going down there. There have been rumors about kids coming around and messing with things.”
“What do you mean?”
Steve took a sip of his water before he answered, “Like gangs, just not as dangerous.”
“Alice, I think Aiden and Hiroshi should take you down there.”
“No, it's fine, really. She's only a few houses away. I'll be fine.”
“Are you sure? Alice, I don't want you to get hurt. There are crazy people out there.”
I glanced at Aiden and Hiroshi before I replied, “I know,” I stated, dryly.
“Very funny,” Hiroshi hissed.
“I thought so.”
“Alice…”
“I'll be fine. Really.”
“Take your phone, and call when you get there,” Steve ordered. “If you promise to do that then you can go.”
“Promise.”
“Alright, then.”
 
Lying had started to become harder and harder. I pulled out my phone as I walked down the street and pulled up the texting screen.
If ne one asks I'm @ ur place, I typed. I'm really @ the pond. & no I don't need u 2 come 2. ttyl
Send.
A few minutes later, Remiee texted me back.
Ok, but y r u goin down there? This late? Call me later…or wen u get there…be careful.
I looked up from my phone and noticed that I was in the process of passing Remiee's house. I called Judy's, confirmed with Aiden that I was with Remiee, and then proceeded on going down to the pond.
 
“Why are you down there so late?”
“I just wanted to be by myself for a while, away from the house.”
“What's going on at the house?”
“Hiroshi's staying over.”
“Ew.”
“I know.”
“Okay, well, be careful…please? And are you sure that you're okay? I'm just a few houses away.”
“I know, thank you. I'm fine though. I just need time to think is all.”
“Okay, call me though if you need help getting back into the house.”
“I shouldn't, but thanks.”
“M-hmm. Talk to you later? How about you call me when you get home? Just incase.”
“ `k”
“Bye, bye.”
“Bye, bye.”
I shut my phone and then placed it in my jean pocket.
What was wrong with me? There I was, nine o'clock at night, by myself, practically in a pedophile's playground. I must have had a death wish.
“Stupid, Alice.” I whispered. “Stupid.”
Suddenly, I heard a sound come from behind me. I shot myself around to face my danger in the eyes, just to find nothing but trees and a few bushes. I rose from the dock and ambled off of it to go walking along the grass beside the water, every few minutes jerking my head around to make sure I was alone.
I found a patch of grass along side of the pond and sat down once again. I gazed at the water before me, watching it glisten in the moonlight. I was distracted from the water by another noise. This time when I turned to face the danger, I met it. A pair of two glowing, red eyes peered back at me. When I went to blink and opened my eyes again, the glowing red orbs were gone.
“Stupid, stupid, Alice.” I murmured. “Maybe you're just imagining things. Yes, you're tired and you're imagining things.” I rose from my patch of grass and began to leave the pond, when another noise echoed throughout my ears, this time much closer.
“Shit.” I whispered. “Shitty shit, shit!”
I slowly began to turn my head and prepared to scream at whatever is was that was near me. As I came to face the “thing” something, or someone caught hold of my arm.
“You really shouldn't be out here alone.”
I spun my head around to look at the figure in front of me.
“Seth…”
Seth pulled me farther away from the pond, and stopped when we were on the trail leading back to the neighborhood.
“Are you all right?”
I nodded trying to hold back the look of shock that was appearing all over my face.
“You really shouldn't be out here, Alice.”
“I'm not a child.” I was surprised by my words. Shut up, Alice! I thought.
Seth raised an eyebrow, “You may not be, but that doesn't mean you should go off in the middle of the night alone, into woods that anything or one could be in.”
He had a point.
“Does Aiden know where you are?”
I cringed at the thought. “He thinks I'm at Remiee's.”
“Very smooth.”
“I just wanted to be alone for a while! That's all!” I couldn't believe the words that were flying from my mouth. “I've done this before countless of times! Who are you to tell me what to do anyway?”
Seth, to my surprise, found my outburst to be amusing, and let out a light chuckle. “You're something else, I'll give you that.”
“Thank you.” I had tried to sound calm and collected, but the truth was I was still over whelmed by the fact that I was in the middle of the woods, with a junior that was way to gorgeous to even be considered human.
“Why don't I take you back to Aiden's?”
“No! I mean, no. I don't want to go back. Not yet.”
Seth's amusement went to confusion. “Is there something back at the house that you're trying to get away from?”
“Not necessarily.” Hiroshi and Aiden popped into my head.
“There has to be some reason you don't want to go back. Am I wrong?”
I turned away from him, focusing my gaze on the small bit of water I could see through the trees. “No. You're not. But I still don't want to go home.”
“You're very persistent.”
I smiled slightly, “Or maybe you're simply not any good at telling people what to do.”
He laughed at this, which caused my smile to go from slight to full.
“Alright then. Since you continue to refuse on going home, would you like to go for a walk?”
I directed my gaze back at him and nodded. Of all the times NOW you get shy.
 
“So, are you excited about High School?”
“Not as much excited as I am anxious.”
“Hmm,” Seth hummed as he smiled.
“A lot of people have asked me that. I don't know really. I mean, I am anxious, but then again…I really don't want to go.”
“Why is that?”
“From what I've been told, High school is the “start of your life”, the beginning of the beginning. The way I see it, the closer I get to High School the closer I get to the “real world”.”
“What's so bad about that? You have a whole future to look forward to.”
I shook my head at this, “How can you look forward to a future that demands you start over everything you've worked so hard to achieve?”
Seth starred at me apparently puzzled by my words.
“When I graduate, all the people I have met, the friends I've made, even if back at home that would be zero to none, they'll be gone, and I'll be alone.”
“No you won't. You'll have your family and your friends. The friends you have here care about you far too much to let you go so easily. You and Remiee for instance. The way you two look out for one another, how you two talk with each other, together you have built a friendship that life cannot break, no matter how hard it tries. You won't be alone, Alice. You don't have to ever worry about that.”
Listening to him speak was like listening to a harp play. Everything he had said was clear, and spoken from the heart. He amazed me in so many ways, that I couldn't help but feel so average and “normal” around him. I couldn't imagine Seth as anything less than extraordinary.
“Thank you.”
“You're welcome.”
We sat in silence for what seemed to be forever, watching the stars above us. The park was deserted except for the two of us. I couldn't help but feel a rush of happiness come over me when the realization had finally sunk in that I was alone with the same guy whom I had met the first day I came to stay in Virginia, which I couldn't believe had been only the day before.
“You're not from around here either, right?”
I shook my head. “M-mm. I'm from North Carolina.”
“Do you like it down there?”
“Not really.”
“Why not?”
“I don't have any friends, really, and I…don't know…there's just something about living in the same place my whole life that bores me.”
“I would love to be able to live in one place.”
“Where all have you lived?”
“Ha,” Seth laughed lightly before answering, “Half the countries in Europe, Asia, all over the U.S., lots of places.”
“Aiden was right. I mean, he said that you had been almost everywhere.”
“Just about.” Seth turned to face me and smiled.
“I would love to be able to travel the world. Maybe not live in all those places, but at least see them.”
“Some of them are nice, others aren't as inviting.”
“Where in Virginia do you live?”
“Not too far from here.”
“Can you be more specific?”
“I'd rather not.”
“Well, fine then.” I mocked.
“Glad to see that you see things my way for once.”
“Don't get use to it.”
“Wasn't planning to.”
We sat in another moment of silence, but, unlike the first, it was broken much sooner.
“So, why is it that you're staying with Aiden? If you don't mind my asking.”
I sighed before I spoke, “Long story.”
“I have all the time in the world.”
“Oh, really? Well I don't.”
“Hmm, well can you condense it then?”
“And you say I'm persistent,” I sighed.
“You are.”
“And you're not?”
“Now I never said that, did it?”
Before I could think twice I stuck my tongue out at him while making a humming noise. I quickly gathered my tongue back into my mouth and slapped my hand across it.
“And you said that you weren't a child.”
“I'm not.” I protested, my hand still over my mouth.
Seth let out a chuckle and then formed one of his breath taking smirks.
I removed my hand from my mouth and found myself smiling back at him.
“Seth?”
“Hmm?”
“How do you do it?”
“Do what?”
“You know…be so perfect.”
Seth's smile disappeared quicker than I could blink. “What do you mean?”
“Nothing.”
“Really, what do you mean?”
“Really, its nothing.”
“Alice.”
“Seth.”
“You really are something else.” He sighed.
“I'll take that as a compliment.”
“You should.”
I waited for him to smile or say something else but he continued to gaze at the stars.
“I was sent away.”
Seth's emotionless expression change to confusion as I continued. “My parents sent me here so I could get help.”
“Why do you need help?”
“I have a problem.”
Seth sat up and turned to face me directly. “What would that be?”
“I have an eating disorder. I'm here so I can attend a treatment center all summer, so that hopefully I'll be somewhat better by the time school starts.”
Seth stayed still, neither showing emotion nor speaking it.
“I'm surprised that that hasn't been passed around by now. Especially to you.”
“I'm not one that's much for gossip.”
“It's not really gossip.”
“I wouldn't have known you if I had heard it, so to me it would have been considered gossip.”
“Are you saying you know me now?”
“Not as well as I could.”
I paused to try and read his face. Did this mean he wanted to know me better? Or was he simply stating a fact?
“It's up to you to how to well you let me get to know you.”
“Do you want to get to know me?” I hadn't thought before I spoke and probably wasn't going to stop.
“Are you willing to let me know you?”
“Should I be willing?”
I gazed into Seth's eyes like so many times before, but this time he starred just as intently and passionately as I was.
“Do you feel you know me?”
“Not as well as I could.”
“Cheater.” He teased.
“M-hmm.”
“You're something else.”
“How many times are you going to say that tonight?”
“As many as I feel like I should.”
“Fair enough.”
“Do you trust me, Alice?”
This one caught me off guard. Could I trust a guy I had just officially met? No. Could I trust an angel I had just officially met.
“Should I?”
“Answer my question then I'll answer yours.”
“Yes.” Yet, another moment where I hadn't stopped to think before speaking.
“No.” Seth turned his gaze away from me and looked back up at the stars.
“Why?”
He didn't respond.
“Why shouldn't I trust you, Seth?”
“Let's just hope the time won't come when I should answer that.”
“You're not making sense.”
“I'll take you home now.”
“Why?”
“It's late.”
“Seth!”
Seth spun his head around to meet my gaze. “I'm taking you home.”
“Are you angry?”
This puzzled him, “Why would I be angry?”
“Because I'm bothering you.” I was surprised to how much I had sounded like a child.
Seth grinned lightly, “You're not bothering me. Not at all.”
I sighed as I rose from where I had been sitting. Looking away from Seth, I pulled out my cell phone and glanced at the time.
“Approximately, how far are we from Aiden's?”
“Approximately? Fifteen minutes.”
“Are you serious?”
“Do I have a reason to lie to you?”
“Damn. I have to be home in seven minutes.”
“That's perfect.”
“I know.” I shut my phone and then glanced up at Seth, who had been watching me the entire time.
“I'll give you a ride.”
“What?”
“Get on my back. I can run you back there.”
“You're kidding.”
“I'm completely serious. “
I starred blankly at him. “I really don't think that you are.”
Seth smirked slightly as he turned around, his back now facing me. “It's your choice. Just remember the longer you wait the later you'll get home.”
I considered this, but only for a brief moment before I found myself in disbelief again. “There's no possible way that you could…”
“Alice.” Seth's voiced was now an irritated tone. “I'm waiting.”
How is it that by simply saying my name, he can make me do exactly the opposite of what I want to do? I questioned myself.
I shrugged. “Fine. But if you drop me…”
Seth bent down and motioned that he was ready for me to jump on.
I gently placed my hands on his muscular shoulders and, without another thought, hoisted myself onto Seth's back. He was much taller than I had thought he would be.
“Ready?”
“When you are.”
“Hang on.”
Before I could cling any tighter to Seth's rock hard body, we had taken off down the darkened streets of Mernory. I couldn't believe the speed that we were going. Trees flew by faster than a flash of lightening, and the ground below us was nothing but a big blur.
I remained clung tightly to Seth as we, in no more than five minutes, arrived at Aiden's.
“Alright.” Seth bent down in order to let me off of him.
“You did not just run to my house, with me on your back, in less than seven minutes.”
“If you say I didn't, then I guess I can't arguer with that, seeming that you were on my back the whole time.” Seth smiled and then turned to leave the front yard.
“Seth?”
The angel turned and gazed into my eyes as I did into his.
“Yes?”
“Is this…all of this…is it all just a dream?”
“Perhaps that answer depends all on how well of an imagination you have?”
I went to speak again but stopped myself as Seth proceeded in leaving.
“Seth!”
This time he didn't bother to turn around. “Yes, Alice?”
“If I'm not dreaming…then thank you, and even if I am…thank you.”
“You're welcome, Alice.”
With that Seth continued down the dark roads of Cherry Cove.
 
* * *
“You never called me once you got home.” Remiee took a sip of coffee before she continued, “Did something go wrong?”
I shook my head. “Nothing went wrong. I was just really tired, that's all. I'm sorry.”
“It's fine. I called Aiden and he said you passed out on your couch. I figured that you just needed to rest, but I wanted to ask just to make sure.”
“Yea.” I glanced around Rem's cluttered kitchen. Newspapers from years before were stacked up against walls, piles of clothes took up needed walking room, the counter tops were covered with pots and pans and neglected dirty dishes, “Where's your mom?”
“Hmm? Oh, Mum? Ha. I don't know. She's off somewhere. Rob is at the office or wherever.”
“No one's here?”
“Naw, I think James is. But I don't feel like checking.”
I took another quick glance around the tiny room and then back to Rem.
“I know. It's a mess. Mum said that she was going to get James and Rob to clean it a while ago, but she hasn't mentioned it ever since James came in, which was well over a week ago.”
“I see.”
“Yep.” Remiee took another sip of her coffee, and then glanced at the backdoor, which had started to squeak.
“Ey? Where's Deb?”
I glanced over to the door too. There stood a tall, thin man in the doorway. His hair was a deep brown color and his eyes a piercing blue. He wore glasses and had what appeared to be the start of a beard reappearing.
“I dunno.”
James turned his attention to the filthy room he was standing in. “Bloody hell! Clean this shit up, Rem!” James' deep British accent seemed to be the only thing I noticed when he spoke.
“Do it yourself. I have the day with Alice.”
This seemed to surprise him. James glanced at me quickly, apparently just realizing I was there. “Oh, ey, Alice”
“Hey.”
“When'd you get `ere? Long time no see.”
“A few days ago.”
“Mum told you, you dimwit.”
“Oh shut it, Rem. Clean the house while I'm gone. Get Alice to help.”
“You're being rude, James. And where are you going?”
James snickered as he made his way into the front hall. A door shut and then he was gone.
“I hate this family. I really wish Mum would just leave Rob. He's no good anyway. Besides, she's gorgeous, she could find somebody else.”
“I love how when you say “mum” you add your accent to it, but when you speak regularly, you just talk like the rest of us.”
“Is that all you have to say?”
“Just about.”
“You're something else, Alice.”
You're something else, I'll give you that.
“Alice?”
I'll give you a ride.
What?
Get on my back. I can run you back there.
Is this…all of this…is it all just a dream?
Perhaps that answer depends all on how well of an imagination you have?
“Alice!”
“I have to go.”
“What?”
I shook my head as if to force the voices out of it. “I need to go home. I have things to do. I'll call you later.”
“Is everything alright?”
“Yea, yea…I just have things to do.”
I made my way through the piles of clothes and newspapers and finally found the front door.
“You'll call?”
“Yea. I'll call. Later.”
With that I pushed open the door and exited the house.
 
* * *
 
I starred at the ceiling above me, focusing on the odd designs that made it up.
“Do you feel you know me?”
“Not as well as I could.”
“Cheater.”
“Was it all just a dream?” I shut my eyes and tried to remember the night before. Was there anything I could remember that would prove that I wasn't just dreaming?
“Ready?”
“When you are.”
“Hang on.”
The run. That was it. The wind had blown through my hair, the ground had disappeared from under our feet, Seth's shoulders; I could feel and see everything so clearly. It couldn't have been a dream, I thought.
There was only one way to find out.
“Alice?”
I shot up and then glanced at Aiden. “Yea?”
“Can I come in?”
I looked around the small guest bedroom and then nodded my head.
Aiden sat down next to me on what had been named “my bed”.
“So you went to Rem's today?”
“Yep.”
“I was just online. She said that you were acting really weird and you left in a hurry.”
“I remembered that I had stuff to do.”
“Like what?”
I searched for anything that would make a convincing excuse. “I had to write a letter home. You know how my mom is. If I went any longer without writing she would freak out.”
“It's only been a few days.”
“Yea, well, you know.”
“Yea…is that all?”
“What do you mean?”
“Alice. I'm not stupid. Something is bothering you.”
“Nothing is bothering me. I'm fine.”
“Alice.”
“Aiden.”
“I'm serious.”
“And what makes you think that I'm not?”
“Alice, please. What is bothering you? You've been…acting…weird.”
“Weird?”
“Yes.”
“How?”
“You just have been.”
“Aiden, I've had a lot on my mind. I'm sorry if that has…bothered you. I just need time to myself sometimes.”
“You could have just said that.”
“At least I said it.”
“Fine. Anyway, Remiee says to call her, or to get online. I suggest calling because I'm online and not willing to get off.”
“How considerate of you.”
“I try.”
“Is there anything else?”
“Yea. We're going to the beach tomorrow.”
“Okay.”
“Okay?”
“Yea.”
“Can't you at least pretend to be excited?”
“An hour and a half car ride with you and all the other guys in the neighborhood plus Rem. Fun, fun.”
“Yes fun. Considering that you, me, and Seth will be riding in the same car.”
“What?”
“Harris said that he would take Rem and Hiroshi, leaving me to drive the remaining people; you and Seth.”
“Why can't I ride with Remiee, and Hiroshi ride with you?”
“Do you really want to ride with Harris and Rem? Especially when they're gonna be all over each other?”
“I thought Harris was sick. And why would Hiroshi do any better?”
“He was, but he's not anymore, and Hiroshi is riding to make sure Harris doesn't try to do anything stupid.”
“Like what?!”
“Think about it…”
“He'll be driving though!”
“Hasn't stopped him before.”
“That's sick.”
“That's men.”
“Poor, Rem.”
“Anyway, we're leaving around seven-thirty so that we can get breakfast and crap before anyone else comes up.”
“Alright.”
“You, me, and Seth. Think you can handle that?”
“Yea.”
“Good.”
Aiden was quiet for a moment as I laid myself back down on the bed.
“Hey, you eating dinner tonight?”
“I'll try.”
“How are those pills doing?”
“Okay. They're helping one step at a time a guess.”
“That's good.”
“I guess.”
“Yea…”
Aiden took a moment to “scratch” the back of his head, when it was obvious he was simply just running out of things to say. Or was he?
“Alice?”
“Hmm?”
“Can I ask you a question?”
“First one's free.” I mocked.
“Very funny.”
“I thought so.”
“What do you think about Hiroshi?”
“Why?” I found myself thinking back to Remiee and mine's conversation earlier.
“I'm just asking.”
“You know what I think about him. He's one of my best friends. He's always been there for me, I mean, he may be a jerk at times…okay, all the time…but he's really cool.”
“Yea…that's what I thought.”
“What?”
“It's just…” Aiden turned his gaze to me and locked my eyes with his own, “I don't want that to be ruined.”
“How would our friendship be ruined, Aiden?”
Aiden sighed as he broke our gaze. “It's nothing.”
“But, Aiden…”
“I'll let you know when you should come down for dinner.”
“Aiden…” I reached out my hand for him, trying to motion for him to stay, but he ignored it as he shut the door behind him.
 
* * *
 
“Remiee! Alice! Would you hurry up?” Hiroshi yelled from the car.
Rem threw down her beach bag and made her way to the window. I followed behind her, watching as Aiden and the others piled things into the two cars in the driveway.
“We'll be there in a minute!”
“Well would you make your minute a little shorter?”
“Rem, come on we need to go. You too, Alice.” Harris called.
“I'm not in this! I'm ready! She's the one that's carrying this out!”
“Thanks for the back up, Al.”
“No problem.”
Remiee picked up her beach bag and then pointed to the crimson, black polka-dotted bikini on her bed. “Put it on. I'll be waiting for you downstairs. Go ahead and barrow some clothes too to wear over it, if you want.”
“Why are you making me wear your bikini?”
“Because there's a really hot guy in my driveway named Seth, and I'm gonna make sure that my best friend looks as sexy as she can just so she can catch his eye.”
“Oh my God.”
“Damn right. Meet you downstairs.”
“Rem!”
“Five minutes.”
“UH!”
* * *
“What was taking you two so fuckin long?”
“Please, don't' ask.”
“I wanna know.”
“You know Remiee, she has to look perfect.”
“Are those your clothes?”
I glanced down at my black tube top and my denim short shorts, and then met Aiden's gaze in the rearview mirror, “No, Rem wanted me to wear some of hers.”
“Why?”
“Again. Don't ask.”
“Why are you friends with her?”
“That's like asking why I'm friends with you.”
“What's that suppose to mean?”
“You'll figure it out.”
As much as I tried not to, I found myself glancing over at Seth, who sat in the passengers seat next to Aiden. Seth's eyes met mine, which made me realize that he had been watching me the whole time I was talking to Aiden.
I tried to look away and find another object to occupy my time, but I couldn't force myself to turn away. Those emerald eyes…what were they hiding?
“Are you feeling alright, Alice?”
Seth's voice interrupted my thoughts, bringing my back to reality.
“Ye-ah….” I whispered. I could feel a blush creeping over my face.
“Are you sure?”
“Hey! No getting sick in my car.”
I didn't bother to respond to Aiden as I turned my attention to out the window.
“Once we get to the beach, we're going to rent one of those shacks they have just up the hill from the shopping center, so that we'll have a place to change and dry off.”
“Just so that we can go back home?”
“No, we're going to a movie afterwards.”
“Why are you just filling me in now?”
“Maybe he wanted to surprise you.” I turned to Seth who had beamed one of his smiles my way.
“Yea…sure. What movie do you think you and Remiee will be able to put up with?”
I quickly directed my eyes to the floor of the car to escape from Seth's gaze, “Anything should be fine.”
“What about that new one…you know…about the chain of suicides? It's supposed to be the best one since “No Return”.”
“Whatever. We'll probably just talk through it anyway.”
“Fine. It's your money.”
“My money? No one told me to bring money for a movie.”
“Then I guess you're SOL.”
“Aiden.”
“Alice.”
“Uh. Fine. I'll ask Remiee if she has money.”
“Don't worry about it, Alice. I'll pay for you.”
I turned to Seth who continued to face forward. “You don't have to. I'm sure Rem…”
“It's not a problem. I don't mind at all.”
“Um…”
“Alice just say thanks and forget about it. Damn.”
“Thank you.”
Seth turned around and smiled. I could have sworn that I had stopped breathing. “No problem.”
I looked away from him, and focused on keeping my attention out of my window for the rest of the car ride.
 
* * *
 
“It was sick. All he did was flirt with her. I swear I thought I was gonna gag,” Hiroshi reached over me to grab a bag of Doritos before continuing, “I had to constantly remind him to keep his eyes on the road.”
“Does he really like her that much?”
Hiroshi smirked slightly and then turned his gaze to me. “You have no idea.”
Aiden popped a piece of gum into his mouth. “Where are they now?”
“Rem said that they were going to get something to drink.”
“We have a cooler.”
I shrugged. “That's what she said.”
“Al, why don't you and me go look for them? I don't think we should leave Remiee alone with Harris.”
“And why is that?”
“He's…will you just come on?” Aiden reached for my arm and then pulled me to my feet. “We'll be back in a second.”
“Aiden, I'll go. You stay here with Seth, I could use a good walk around the beach.”
Aiden glanced at Hiroshi for a moment and then at me. “Alright. I'll stay here.”
Aiden let go of my arm as he sat back down next to Seth, who had been intently listening to the whole conversation.
“Come on, Alice.”
I felt like a child. Every time I went somewhere with Aiden and Hiroshi they always ended up treating me like a little kid, and it was starting to seriously get to me.
I took a step away from Hiroshi while crossing my arms. “No. I'll go look for her myself.”
“Are you out of your mind? You could get kidnapped or something.”
“I'll take my chances.”
“Alice, be reasonable.” Aiden stood up, as if to try and stop me.
“I'm not a kid. Stop treating me like I am. You're just like Xander.”
“We should be! If you act like this all the time.”
“I'm going to go look for Rem.”
“Alice!”
I ignored Hiroshi as I quickly made my way away from where the guys were.
Focusing on the small shopping center in front of me, I didn't notice that I was being followed.
“Alice! Alice stop!”
“Leave me alone.”
“What's up with the sudden change in attitude?”
“Leave me alone!”
“Alice!” Hiroshi grabbed me by the arm, making me stop, unwillingly.
“What?”
“Alice.”
Hiroshi's eyes were filled with concern and distress. “Alice, I'm sorry. I didn't mean…”
“It doesn't matter if you mean it or not. You did. You always do. Remiee and I are sick of being treated like kids. Whether you care or not, I'm only two years younger than you. You're forgetting that I'll be fifteen in three weeks. “
“I haven't forgotten.”
“Why do you always have to make me feel so…useless? It's not fair!” I didn't notice the tears that had been gathering in my eyes until they started to fall. At first they were one by one, then they started to pour, and as much as I had tried to wipe them away, they continued to fall.
“Alice, I'm sorry.” Hiroshi pulled me gently into him, as he wrapped his arms around me. “I know you're not a kid. It's just that sometimes it's easier to treat you like one.”
“What's that supposed to mean?” I rested my hands on Hiroshi's bear chest, not taking any notice to the position we were in.
Hiroshi blushed as I looked up to meet his gaze. “Can I talk to you?”
“Aren't we doing that now?”
“No, I mean…alone.”
I starred at him, confusion all over my face. “Yeah. Okay.”
Hiroshi slowly pulled away from me, not once removing his gaze from mine.
“Alice!”
I turned around to see Remiee running towards me, Harris following behind her.
“Hey.” I mumbled.
“What's wrong?”
“Nothing. Where have you two been?”
Rem took a quick glance over to Hiroshi and then back to me. “We wanted something other than soda to drink, so Harris took me to go get a bottle of water. On our way back we found an ice cream parlor and we ended up blowing a couple of bucks on some ice cream too.”
It was then that I noticed the bottled water in Rem's left hand, and a plastic spoon in the other.
Rem saw where my attention was, and then started to speak again, “I wanted to keep the spoon so that I would have something to chew on, since Aiden refuses to give me any gum.”
“I see.”
“Yep.” Remiee smiled as she looked back to Hiroshi. “So, what you two up to?”
“We were just about to go looking for you.” Hiroshi's tone wasn't at all cheery.
“What's with the sour tone?”
“Nothing,” Hiroshi glanced down at me, “I'll meet you back on the beach.” With that, Hiroshi turned and left.
“What's up with him?”
“I don't know.” I answered.
“So, you ready to go swimming?”
I made a quick glance over to Harris who had been gazing over to the ocean the whole time. He seemed content and happy. I couldn't tell if it was because Remiee was there, or if he simply was just a happy-go-lucky- type of guy.
“Uh, actually, I think I'm going to go look around for awhile.”
This seemed to disappoint Rem. “Umm, okay…are you sure?”
“Yea, I'll be back in a little bit. I just want to get away from...well…them…” I turned my head, motioning towards where the guys were.
Remiee laughed. “Alright. Come back soon though, okay? I can't stand too much more time without my best friend around.”
“Alright.” I beamed, “Hey, tell Aiden and them that I'm in the bathroom, okay? They don't think that I should be out alone.”
“Really? Wow…”
“Yea. So, you won't give me away?”
“Nope.”
“Thank you.”
“Uh-huh. See you in a little bit.” Rem tapped me on the shoulder and then grabbed hold of Harris' hand, pulling him along with her.
Harris nodded at me as if to say goodbye. I smiled in return and then made my way up the steps that led to the shopping center.
 
“Hey! No fair!”
“Whatever!”
Remiee laughed as she splashed me back. I ran away from her, every now and then turning back to splash her a few more times.
“Aw! You got water up my nose!”
I smiled, as I tried to hold back a laugh.
“Oh, sure. Go ahead and laugh at me.”
“Of course. Why wouldn't I?”
Remiee glared back at me.
“Gotcha!”
Before I could turn around, Aiden had jumped onto my back, causing me to fall over, and land into the ocean water.
I spat out the salty water as Aiden rolled off of me.
“Ew.” I moaned.
“Aw, come on! Suck it up. It's just a little harmless seawater.”
“Really now?” I splashed Aiden in the face with the “harmless” seawater, and watched as he groaned about getting water in his eyes.
“Harmless sea water huh?”
“Oh, shut up.”
I chuckled as Aiden continued to groan over his eyes.
“Hey, Al, look at Seth.” Remiee turned my body so that I was facing Seth. There he was, spread out on his beach towel, his shirt still on, reading a book.
“Poor, guy. Doesn't know what he's missing.”
“You don't know. He might be enjoying himself.”
Remiee squinted one eye and left the other open, “Right…please, Alice, he's just screaming, “Alice, I need you!”
“Shut up, Rem!”
Remiee laughed, and then suddenly got serious. “Really, Al, go talk to him. It's depressing how…”alone” he is.”
“I'm sure he's fine by himself. If you're so worried about him then why don't you go cheer him up yourself?”
“He doesn't want me you nitwit.”
“And what makes you so sure that he wants me?”
“It's so obvious. And even if he doesn't, at least you'll have a few moments with a really hot guy to remember.
Trust me, I thought. I've had my fare share of those.
“Go!” Remiee pushed me forward, sending me closer to the beach in front of me.
“Rem,” I moaned.
“Just a few minutes,” she ordered.
I sighed. At least now I would have my chance
I slowly approached the angel in front of me. I watched as a breeze blew his auburn hair in his face, and then watched as his gently pulled away the stray strands that had covered his eyes.
“Seth?” I squeaked.
Seth looked up to meet my eyes. “Hi, Alice.”
“Hey,” I whispered.
“Everything okay?”
“Umm, yea,” I lied.
“Would you like to sit down?”
“Sure.”
I sat myself down on Aiden's towel, which had been spread out under the large umbrella Hiroshi had stuck into the sand. It felt nice to be in the shade.
Seth sat up, turning to face me. “Having fun in the water?”
I nodded. “Yea, I think I caused Aiden to go blind though.” I attempted to joke.
Seth chuckled, “Yea, I saw. That was quite a scene you caused.” He smiled, which made me want to faint.
Then, his words found my ears. Yea, I saw. He had been watching.
“Are you feeling alright?”
“Hmm? Oh, yea. I'm fine.” Come on, Alice. Ask him.
Seth turned his head, directing his gaze to the ocean in front of us.
“Seth?”
“Yes, Miss Alice?” Seth smiled again as he turned his attention back to me.
“That was a nice touch.”
“I thought it would be.”
I found myself smiling at his response. “Can I ask you a question?”
“Besides the one you just asked?” Seth's smiles were beginning to become too much for me.
I blushed, “Yes, besides that one.”
“Go ahead.”
“Um…well…a couple of nights ago…I had this very…odd dream. At least…I think it was a dream…and you were in it.”
“Really now?” I seemed to be amusing him.
“M-hmm. We were at the park just talking and…” I was running out of ways to stall, “…and I told you about why I came to Virginia.”
Seth moved his head so that he could find my eyes and lock them with his own. “Your eating disorder.”
I could feel the baseball feeling coming back. “You…but…I didn't tell you…except in the dream…or was it a…? Then you really did carry me back to Aiden's…in less than seven minutes…”
“Perhaps that answer depends all on how well of an imagination you have, Alice?”
My mouth flew open. Then I wasn't dreaming, I thought. That night had been completely and totally real.
“Alice…” Seth's gaze never left my own, as his eyes moved closer to mine.
“What are you…?”
My angel was now just inches away from where I sat. I could feel his breath on my blushing cheeks. It surprised me how cold his breath was, instead of the natural warmth.
“You wouldn't believe me if I…”
“Try me.” I whispered, my voice blending in with the sound of my breathing, which I found myself checking to make sure that I still was.
“Alice…” Seth reached his hand up to my cheek, and slowly let his fingers run tenderly across my skin.
“Seth…please…” I begged.
A smirk found it's way to his lips. “I'm not going to risk it,” he answered.
“But…”
Seth's fingers were now running across my neck. His touch made it harder to concentrate on the matter that I was at hand.
His emerald orbs glistened just as they had the night I first laid my eyes on them. They really didn't need any light to gleam.
“Alice!”
Seth pulled his hand away, causing me great dejection.
I glanced over at Remiee, who stood in the ocean, waving her hand at me.
“I need to talk to you!” she bellowed.
“You better go to your friend.” I loved the fact that he hadn't said her name.
“But…”
Seth smiled once again, “Go on, Alice.”
I nodded, trying to hide the hole in my chest. I found myself blushing again when I realized that he had noticed it.
“Will you…”
“I'll be here. I promise.”
I smiled at this and then nodded again. I turned away from him, and then started to run towards Remiee.
 
“Please tell me what you two were talking about! “ Remiee pleaded, as we watched some random guy throw wood into the large bon fire in front of us.
“I told you. It was nothing. We were just talking about stuff that's been going on lately.”
“Oh please! No guy in his right mind would get that close to you while talking about every day events!”
“Keep it down, Rem!”
“Uh!” Remiee stomped her foot into the sand and then crossed her arms over her chest. “You will end up telling me.”
“Later, okay?”
“Fine.” She groaned.
“Hey, Alice. Tell me about what happened between you and that Sam girl.”
I was thankful that Hiroshi had interrupted Rem and mine's “argument” but not nearly as thankful for the subject he had brought up.
“I'll pass.”
“Come on. You said you would tell me.”
Everyone's eyes were now on me. Aiden looked up at me from where he had been lying down, Hiroshi starred at me waiting for my reply, Harris continuously switched his gaze from me to Rem, and Seth glanced at me also, making me wonder if he was really interested in all I had to say.
“Some guy told Sam that he thought I was a druggy. She didn't believe me when I said I wasn't. Now we're not friends. The end.”
“Whoa! A druggy? Why would this guy think that?”
“Because a janitor found pills in my locker. Travis, the guy who told Sam, heard me talking to the AP about them. All he heard was pills so he just took that and made something up.”
“How much trouble were you in?”
“None. I convinced my AP that they were allergy pills.”
Aiden chimed in this time. “What were they really?”
“Diet pills.”
There was an awkward silence among our group as I starred out into the ocean.
“Alice called me that night to tell me what was going on,” Remiee continued for me, “her dad over heard her telling me that she didn't want to talk to them about her eating disorder. After that they called Mrs. Nagasawa and made arrangements with Aiden's mom for her to come up here.”
“So that's how you did it? Diet pills?” Aiden questioned.
I nodded, my focus still on the water before me.
“Damn it, Alice.” Hiroshi hissed.
“It's none of your damn business.” I shot back, my tone surprisingly numb.
“Like hell!”
“What I do to myself is my own problem so just forget about it.”
“Do you honestly think that we're gonna do that?”
“I honestly think you should.”
“Hiroshi, leave her alone.”
“No! Not until she owns up to the fact that she has a serious problem!”
“I have!” I screamed. “You have no right to sit here and tell me that I haven't owned up to my fuckin' problem! You're just like all the others who think that they are telling me shit that I don't already know. I know that I messed up, but it's people like you who just make it worse! I swear, Hiroshi, if I had less people like you breathing down my throat then I wouldn't feel half as bad about myself then I already do!” I gasped after realizing the words that had shot from my mouth. I pushed myself up from where I was sitting and started to amble away from the bon fire.
“Alice! Wait! Look what you did, Hiroshi!” I could hear Remiee running to catch up with me but my now sprints were too fast for her.
Not paying attention to where I was taking myself, I continued to run as fast as my legs would allow me. When I finally came to a stop, I noticed that had taken myself well away from the beach and into the woods behind the shopping center. I was completely and totally, one hundred percent, lost.
“Damn it, Alice.” I grumbled. Now what was I going to do?
It was way too dark for me to be able to find my way out so I decided to sit down and rest against a tree until the others found me.
I leaned my head against the bark of the tree I was up against and shut my eyes.
“What's a pretty girl like you doing out here at this time of night?”
I shot my head up and glanced at the figure that stood in front of me. Standing up, I saw that he had short, spiked up red hair and was taller than any guy I had ever met before in my life.
“Who are you?” I questioned, my voice shaking.
“How rude of me. My name is Dominick. And you are?”
Who was this guy? “Alice.”
Dominick ignored my reply. I noticed him gazing at me in a crude manor. His eyes focused on my breast. I found myself looking down, realizing that all I had on was Rem's bikini top and her pair or short shorts. Here I was with a guy who more than likely was a rapist and I was half naked, making his job much easier. I shuddered at the thought.
“Are you lost?”
“I'm waiting for a friend.” I lied.
This seemed to surprise him. “In the middle of the woods?”
“Yes.”
“Really now?” Dominick took a step closer towards me, “Does this friend have a name?”
I figured that Remiee wouldn't do me any good, seeming that she was a girl and probably wouldn't be able to protect me against this…”guy”, I was still pretty much mad at Hiroshi, I wasn't sure how a felt about Aiden, so I ended up using the one person left.
“Seth.”
Dominick's eyes squinted, an irritated expression now plastered over his face. “Seth?”
“Yes.” I tried to sound calm but I couldn't help the shaking in my voice.
“So, he's coming for you?”
“Yes. He'll be here any minute now.”
“Well, then I guess we'd better get this over with now shouldn't we?”
Even though I knew the answer to my question, I figured asking would cause more time for stalling. “Get what over with?”
“Dinner.”
Not the answer I was expecting.
“Excuse me?”
“I'm afraid you've caught me at a time where I am very thirsty, love.”
“Thirsty?”
Dominick hissed as two, long bright white teeth appeared from the inside of his mouth.
“I promise I'll be gentle.”
“I'm afraid your meal has been cut short, Dominick.”
Before I could turn around, two long, muscular arms wrapped around my waist, holding me tight against the body they belonged to.
“I was afraid she was referring to you.” Dominick mumbled.
Seth pulled me to the side, and then placed me by the same tree I had been resting on.
“You can't destroy me, Seth. Don't forget the law.”
“I haven't. I'm simply sending you back to the grounds of the damned where you belong.”
“Well, at least you're behaving yourself.” Dominick jeered.
“I wish I could say the same for you.” Seth suddenly reached out his arm, holding out his hand in front of him, his palm facing upwards. Seth shut his eyes, as a white orb left his palm and floated up above where he and Dominick stood. The orb abruptly spread out into thin, individual rope like figures, and then instantly wrapped themselves around Dominick's buff body.
“Clever, Seth. I hope you do realize, however, I'm letting you win.”
“I'm not brainless.”
Suddenly, the ropes around Dominick beamed, and then without delay, he was gone.
Seth turned to face me, his eyes full of concern. He paced over to where I stood frozen next to the tree.
“Are you alright, Alice?” Seth reached out his hand for me to take. I felt the weight drop out of me as I fell to the ground below, at last minute reaching out my hands to brake my fall. Seth kneeled down to the ground with me, and gently took my hand in his.
“Alice…he didn't…he didn't hurt…”
I shook my head, knowing the answer to the unasked question. “So he was…”
“A vampire, yes.”
“Oh my God.” I pulled my hand away from Seth's, and held my face in my hands.
“Alice…”
I looked up from my palms to look Seth in the eyes for the first time since he had come to my rescue. “You'll tell me what he is, but you won't tell me what you are?”
A sigh left from Seth's lips. “Do you believe what you just witnessed was real, Alice?”
“Should I?”
Seth shut his eyes, as he dropped his head. “Answer the question, Alice.”
“Yes.”
“Then you believe that its possible for mythical creatures to be very much alive…or in his case…dead...on this earth?”
“What are you, Seth?” I screamed. I was tired of questions. I wanted answers.
Seth opened his eyes, and locked them with my own like he had done so many times before. “You've been through enough. Why is it that you have to be troubled with this as well?” Seth reached his hand up to my cheek, and ran his fingers across my pale skin, just like he had earlier.
“You're not human.” I stated, more than questioned.
“No. I'm not human.”
“Then what are you? Please, Seth, answer me.” I reached my hand up to his cheek as he had done to mine, and gently held his face in my hand. I was surprised that it was warm, unlike his breath. A small gasp ended up leaving my lips.
“What is it?”
“You're warm. I'm surprised. I could feel your breath earlier today, and it was so cold.”
Seth grinned, “I'm sorry.”
“No, don't be. It felt nice, having something cold on my skin.”
A smirk found his lips as he slowly leaned closer to me. I closed my eyes as I felt the tip of his nose touch the skin on my neck. Tenderly, he breathed out, his icy breath touching the surface of my flesh.
As much as I had tried to contain it, a sigh left my lips.
“Does it still feel nice?”
I nodded, not being able to find any words.
“Alice…” he breathed.
“Seth…will you answer my question?”
Seth leisurely lifted his head, directing his gaze back at mine. “What do you think I am?”
The truth was all that had come to mind. “I think you're an angel.”
This stunned him. “And why do you think that?”
I blushed, “Because you're too beautiful to be anything less.”
Seth smiled, as he ran his fingers through my short tresses. “I'm a fallen, Alice.”
“A what?”
“I'm a fallen angel.”
“You're joking.”
“You said yourself that you wanted to know.”
I nodded, letting this new information sink in. “What's the difference? I know there's a difference…I'm not that dense…but how are you…you know…fallen?”
Seth sighed, “I did something…that caused me to be thrown out of Heaven.”
This was all starting to become too much. “Heaven?”
“Yes, Heaven.”
“Is real?”
“Yes.”
“And…God?”
“That one is up to you to decide.”
I sighed. “ What did you do?”
“That's asking too much.”
“I can't believe this…”
“I was expecting that reaction. Tell me, do you still think you're dreaming?”
“I gave up on that theory this morning.”
“Well, I suppose that's for the best.”
Seth's eyes looked worried and I couldn't help but feel a lump in my throat.
“How old are you?”
“Seventeen.”
“No, really.”
Seth thought before he answered, “Two hundred and ten.”
“Mom always said that I couldn't help falling for guys older than me.”
“Lets hope I'm the oldest guy you'll ever fall for.”
I slapped my hand over my mouth after realizing what I had just said, and how Seth had responded.
“What is it?”
I shook my head.
Seth leaned in closer to me, his forehead now touching mine. “I told you my deepest secret, now it's your turn.”
“I did,” I protested, “I told you that I'm an anorexic. That has to count for something.”
“I also showed you that I could run very fast. Two for me, one for you.”
I sighed, “You're enjoying this aren't you?”
“Every minute.” I could feel him smirk.
I waited before I spoke. “I think…I've fallen for a fallen angel.”
I cringed at the not intentioned pun.
Seth pulled away from me slowly, his eyes still locked on mine. “What is so wonderful about this “fallen angel” that you would fall for him so easily?”
“He's very sweet,” I began, “he's pretty funny too, he also tells the truth…even though it takes him forever to say it,”
A chuckle left from his lips.
“And his smile…” I stopped myself before I went to far.
“What about it?”
I thought for a moment on how to respond to this. “It makes me feel like I've stopped breathing, but it's a good…non-breathing feeling…like everything is okay…nothing can hurt me as long as your…I mean he's smiling.”
Seth held my cheek in his hand as he spoke, “Then I promise to make sure he never stops smiling.”
I didn't know why, but suddenly I felt a tear fall from my eye and run down my cheek until it was stopped by Seth's hand. Seth lifted his hand from my cheek to wipe away the other tears that had started to fall.
“Alice, why are you crying?”
I gently shook my head, “I don't know.”
“Don't cry. You're safe.”
“I know. I'm just…happy.”
Seth beamed, as he took my hand in his free one. “Can I tell you one more of my secrets?”
“Will I have to tell you one more of mine?”
Seth shook his head.
“Then, yes.”
“I think that I've fallen for the most beautiful girl on the face of this earth.”
“Seth…” without thinking, I threw my arms around his neck, my tears raining down my face.
Seth wrapped his arms around me in return, his hold as tight as it could possibly have been without hurting me.
“Alice! Alice!” Aiden's voice echoed through the woods.
“I think you should go to your cousin.”
I nodded, though I didn't want to agree with him at all.
Seth pulled away from me, and then helped me to my feet.
“Alice!” Aiden rushed over to the two of us. He completely by passed Seth as he threw his arms around me. “Don't you ever run away like that again! Who knows what could have happened to you?”
“I'm sorry.” I mumbled.
“ALICE!” I turned away from Aiden to see Remiee running towards me. Rem wrapped her arms around me locking me in a tight embrace. Tears were falling from her eyes.
“I was so fuckin worried about you! Where the hell have you been? Oh my God! Don't ever do that again!”
I returned the embrace, as Remiee's head found it's way to my shoulder, where she continued to cry.
“I tried calling you, but I couldn't get any service at all. Then I remembered the you left your cell in the car, so there was no way you could have had it.”
“I'm so sorry, Rem.”
“Good! I hope you feel horrible! No! No I don't…uh! You had me so worried.”
“Did you find her?” I could hear Harris' voice from the other side of the woods.
“Yea!” Aiden called back.
“Thank God!” I heard footsteps running towards us when suddenly Hiroshi appeared from out of one of the bushes. Ignoring Rem, he grabbed hold of me from behind, resting his head on the back of mine. “Alice, I'm sorry. And I'm pissed! Don't ever do that again!”
“As God as my witness I promise to never run away again.”
“Very funny.”
“I thought so”
“How long have you two been out here?”
“Not too long.” Seth replied. “We decided it would be best to wait for you.”
“Thank you, Seth. This is the second time you saved her life.”
I remembered the pond incident. Aiden was right, I thought. This was the second time he has saved me from dying. Except this time was a closer call than he had thought.
“Let's get back to the car. I think we'll skip the movie tonight.”
“Damn right! We're taking this little runaway home and locking her in the bathroom.” Hiroshi bellowed.
“Can we stop off at a Waffle House? I'm starving.” Remiee, her head now off my shoulder thanks to Hiroshi, asked.
“Sure, if you pay for your own food.”
Rem nodded and then reached for my hand. “Come on. And I'm making you eat tonight.”
I sighed, and then nodded in agreement. I turned my head to look at Seth who found my gaze as well. He smiled at me, causing me to smile back at him. I never felt as safe in my life as I had felt in that moment.
 
My angel. I was right, I thought, I was dead on right.