Original Stories Fan Fiction / Romance Fan Fiction ❯ Flight ❯ prologue ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
"I can remember the first time i laid eyes on her. we were young, just past out sixth year, and i knew then that i loved her. her long red hair floated around her oval face. her eyes were sparkling emeralds. and as she performed the most difficult part of the ritual she was preparing for, i saw her strong legs and arm, stronger then most of the men in our village, yet womanly, their looks deceiving of that strength. her wings a perfect white with just a bit of tan at the tips of her feathers. i ran off before she could see me, i knew i needed to practice my own part for the ritual. the ritual that would betroth us, though i did not know that at the time.the ritual was called the time of the orchid, and was rarely performed, but this young girl was special, she was to be the next priestess, the next leader, and bring us out of the age of tyranny that was the government. I wondered if she knew all of this, or if she was as ignorant about the business of adults as i was." I pause in telling my story to drink a bit of water.


"i thought you said that you and her were never together." the child sitting upon my lap looks up at me confused.

"we never got to finish the ritual, the government had caught wind of the rumours about her and they 'crashed the party' as you would put it. they kidnapped men, her and her younger sister and took us to their building and kept us as prisoners."

" what happened?"

" stuff of nightmares. they held her sister against us, telling us that they would kill her if we didn't give in.and that was all it took, she loved her sister so much, that she just gave up, although we begged her not to. they took her off to another room... i can remember it like it was yesterday. mea nd her young sister curled up in a corner, me covering her ears against the screams that echoed throught out the underground. whenthey finally let me and her sister go, i went back to get her, and when i found her, she was almost dead. they had ripped off her once beautiful wings, and taken a whip to her.wounds littered her body and her robes were in tatters. she was so pale, I never want to see anything like that again. i grabbed her and ran as fast as i could to the doctor in our village. they shot at me while i was running and i tried to fly but my wings were too weak. when i finally got her to the doctor, all they could do was sew her up, the rest was up to her. she was feverish and kept moaning in pain. when she was awake she was barely coherent, the only thing she managed was to tell everyone to go away, she didn't want anyone to see her like this. i stayed though, and took care of her the best i could.i was so afraid I would lose her."

"did she make it?"

I hear steps coming toward me and a female voice saying "Yes I did, and it's all thanks to your daddy here."

I smile, "well hello there Kathryn, i was wondering where you went off to."

"I went to check the sails of course, since you seem to be a little too busy to do your part." she says fondly. "and why are you telling such a morbid story to a child for anyway? you should be telling of princes and princesses, slaying of dragons.."

i open my mouth to respond but a little voice pops up instead " but those are boring! i wanna know how you met!" i look down at the pouting face and smile sadly.

Kathryn glances at the pout, " but there are better tales, tell her of that time we fought the with the locals over some treasure only for it to be taken by that giant bird!" she laughs, and i grin, fondly remembering that time. we never knew what hit us.

I feel a tug on my long ponytail, "ooo I wanna hear that one!"

"yes dear. it all begins in a storm, as all great tales do..."