Original Stories Fan Fiction / Romance Fan Fiction ❯ The Crusade of the Quandary ❯ Chaos ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Jaser stood in a black and white tent, his brows knotted together. The wise woman had called upon him, but for what reason he did not know. She sat on the floor, her head bowed. She had insisted in following him to recruit men, much to both Ezekiel and Jaser's displeasure.

”Child, you don't know what you've gotten into, do you.” Jaser frowned.
”What are you talking about, woman.” He hissed. “I was told to be warned of you and your sorcery.” The women eyed him for a moment, no expression upon her face. Then she laughed.
”Ezekiel is afraid, child. He resents me, for he knows if I leave, his possession will be complete. Only I can hold off the force for him. If I was truly unwanted, he would have ordered my execution. But no, he is deeply afraid.” She laughed softly and bowed her head.
”I don't know what you're talking about.” He stated, letting one hand rest on the hilt of his sword.
”Dear, dear child. Sit with me, and I shall explain.” Slowly, Jaser knelt. His eyes did not leave her, confused.
”His staff, he insists it was a divine gift, does he not?” She asked, her voice beginning to crackle.
”What about it? It was from the temple to the north.” He replied, defensively. Her serene smile began to twist.
”But whom did he insist it was given from?” Her voice became strained, rasping with each breath.
”Shalenti...ah…the white goddess...” He frowned. “What is wrong with your voice, woman. What tricks are you playing at?” She smiled for a moment before her face twisted.
”All in due time, child. Does his staff feel peaceful to you? How do you feel around him? Do you feel calmed? Do you feel the presence of the white goddess? Does it feel like new, peaceful life?” Her voice crackled more before she coughed, taking more strained breaths. He thought for a moment, silent. Quietly, he spoke.
”No, I suppose…it doesn't feel peaceful…but isn't that because of the war?” She laughed, noise rattling from her chest. Reaching for a bowl of water, she took a sip. Gagging, she squeezed her eyes tight. Then she relaxed.
”No, child.” Her voice sounded serene again.

”The staff does not belong to Shalenti. I assure you that.” Her voice cracked for a moment. “You do know that only two gods are pure, don't you?” He shook his head, slowly.
”I don't follow you.” He stated, watching her head shake from side to side.
”Many, many eons ago, all gods were pure. But, oh they fought.” Her voice regained a bit of clarity. “Amarac was only Amarac. He was the god of the fields. He feeds the cattle, the sheep, and the goats.” Jaser interrupted.
”But he still is, isn't he?” He looked confused as she shook her head, still bowed.
”No my child. There was another. Sion. Do you know who he is?” Jaser frowned.
”Who?” She smiled
“Sion was his opposing force. The black against the white. The dark against the light. They fought. Amarac would bless the fields with rich clover and grass - but Sion would then poison it with weeds and poisonous plants. Amarac hated the weeds, so he'd argue and fight with Sion. But just as Amarac hated the weeds, so did Sion hate the green grasses and lush fields. They fought so much, once, locked into battle, they murdered each other.” Confused, Jaser spoke up.
”I thought they were immortal.”
”Exactly Child. When Asalah and Malouke, the goddesses of afterlife arrived, they did not know what they should do. The only way to slay an immortal is through another immortal's hands. However, Asalah and Malouke could resurrect them again in a fresh body. But still, they were both aware if they resurrected them again - they would simply murder each other once more. Asalah and Malouke came to a compromise. They would split their souls open, but instead of leaving their body to the earth and sending their souls to the sky, they forced each others soul and body together. They became impure. They became one. Then came the beginning of the seasons. Half of the year, Amarac brought lush fields, clover and cattle. Some of Sion seeped through, letting the weeds grow. But for the other half - the fields stopped growing, the weeds spread through the fields, the leaves fell off the trees. A small amount of Amarac seeped through too, when the grass dies or is cut off, it dries into hay - so his cattle do not starve.” Her voice had become stronger, Jaser waited for a moment.
”Who was Malouke? I've only heard of Asalah”
“In time, Child.” She smiled “To be brief. Calarha, the goddess who watches over women's pregnancy, childbirth and infants also had her opposing force. Jamerine tried to steal pregnancies, causing miscarriages, stillbirths and deformities. They too, fought. But Asalah and Malouke wanted to save their time. While Jamerine and Calarha fought, they split their soul and body and combined them. The act became balanced again, some miscarriages still prevailed, but some blossomed into beautiful children. They no longer fought, because they were one mind. They could only fight within themselves, no longer bothering others. With their success, they later bound Malah - the god who watches over children until they reach adulthood, and Mios, his opposing force. The gods then became nervous. They wanted to be pure, they loathed their adversaries. They did not want to become one. They combined others, but there is too many stories to tell you right now, child. They combined them all, until the only ones left were tricky. Aemiel and Shalenti. Both feared they would become one, Aemiel and her tricks, had a plan of her own. She too, could split souls. As the goddess of chaos, she would send some souls to the depths of her hell. So she split her own soul and hid herself into seven jewels, encrusted into a staff. As they argued how to get her to show herself, Aemiel took the moment to split their own souls, separating them from their bodies. But, they were in a rage. Asalah - as she is now known still wanted to bring the two gods together. Shalenti knew her moment, merely appearing to join the two goddesses of death together. She fled the scene before they had a chance to recover. Aemiel remained hidden. Shalenti hid her body and some of her spirit within a tree - where that tree is, nobody knows. But the rest of her spirit walks Casteri, hiding from Asalah. When someone dies, Asalah splits their soul and body. But sometimes, they are not ready to go. So Asalah does not complete the process, until they call upon her attention. Because Shalenti does not require such attention, Asalah can not find her. This is how this ordeal came about. This crusade. Shalenti and Aemiel still fight, they bring their souls together to argue when they disagree, causing a ruckus within the godly world. For being pure, they all resented Aemiel and Shalenti. Angry, the gods argued within themselves for the solution. But they found none. So, they turned to the people and their brute force. Until the people can solve the god's problems, there will always be turmoil.” Not once, did she make eye contact as she spoke. Jaser spoke up, slowly.
”But children are still born, the grasses still grow…so what is the problem?” The women laughed.
”I never said there was a problem for you child. There is a problem for the gods. The gods can not help but do their job. They have not abandoned anyone.” Jaser frowned.
”Then what's this crusade for?” He stood, angry. “You're wasting my time!” The women just laughed.
”Child! Calm yourself! Ezekiel is in charge, yes?” Jaser frowned.
”Yes.”
”So, if the staff Ezekiel wields does not belong to Shalenti, who does it belong too?”
Jaser stopped.
”Aemiel?” He asked, quietly. Her voiced crackled.
”And what is Aemiel the goddess of?”
”…Chaos.” The women laughed harder, her voice cracking and her face twisting.
”So if that is true, dear child, then chaos is simply the only meaning of this crusade. You are her pawns. Your history lesson for today is complete. It is time for you to leave.”