Original Stories Fan Fiction / Romance Fan Fiction ❯ The Crusade of the Quandary ❯ Second Chances ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“I have to get out of here.” Saiena murmured as she tied her hair back up while wincing at the pain of the bruising on the side of her head. `They'll kill me if they find me in Orches Crest, but I have to find Cadeyn…I shouldn't have stayed so close. I shouldn't have fallen asleep…' She thought. She looked at the pile of things they had dumped with her. She dug through her bag, all her weapons gone. Grimacing, she pushed everything into two piles. A pile for things she needs and a pile for things she would have to do without. Pulling out her cloak, she felt her smile reach either side of her face. She bit into the threads of the bottom hem. Pulling them apart, she ripped the lining away. She winced for a second, running a finger over a tooth. Ripping into the threads once more, she smiled as a few coins wrapped in thin cloth slipped out. She shook her cloak again, then pulling the lining away and out fell a couple of small blades. She grasped the two small knives and kissed them.
“Thank you.” she whispered to herself before concealing the knives, one under her belt and another in her boot. Sighing, she filtered through her pack. Everything but a small package of bread was in the pile that she didn't intend to bring with her. If she wanted to escape, she needed to bring as little as possible with her. She smiled softly, turning to a small hole cut into the side of a tent, in which she presumed was a make-shift window. She sighed to herself, waiting for the sky to grow dark. It reminded her of home and studying to become a silent thief. Growing up in Orches Crest wasn't too bad, just, different.
“Saiena. If you were under watch or captured, give us some examples to what you would do to escape without being seen.” The teacher leant against the blackboard as he spoke, smiling at his prize student. Saiena, fourteen summers old smiled and drew in a breath. A few other students rolled there eyes and slouched down onto their elbows, others began to take notes.
”Well, the first thing I'd do would be
to stay long enough to understand my surroundings.” She smiled slightly before continuing “After I could locate every guard, I'd start to watch for the positions they take while changing watch and when they come on, and off, roster. I would also try to locate any form of weapons I could use in the chance someone would discover me before I left.” She drew in another breath before being interrupted by her teacher.
”And why wouldn't you want to be discovered? Why not stand and fight?” He asked, beginning to write notes on a dusty blackboard.
”Because then I'd have to fight, and I'm trained as a thief - not a warrior. I'm also outnumbered. It is to my advantage to escape unseen, I can make more distance when I'm not being chased and therefore have a higher chance of
escape.” The teacher nodded and smiled at her.
“So what else what would you do to escape?” He asked
”I'd plan for the quietest way to escape. I would refuse to make allies in my escape, numbers draw attention. I would first of all remove any items of clothing that could make too much noise. I would only keep as many coins as I could, provided that I wrap them in linen to prevent them
clinking together. I would then find an item to pick the lock, if necessary. If I was not left with such an item, I'd have hoped that one of my `survival' items did not get lost, such as a lock-pick I've hidden amongst clothing.” To demonstrate, she carefully removed a miniature lock-pick from her ponytail and held it up. Replacing it, she continued. “I would then choose the most appropriate time for my escape and try to slip away unnoticed. I would pause between safe spots to make my next choice of route. I would take any items that may help to disguise myself. The teacher nodded and interrupted her.
”That's enough for now. Great work.” He glanced at the clock and continued “You all have your practical
exam tonight at sundown. You will each be blindfolded, searched and removed of obvious weapons and any identifiable items which may help you. If you pass - by escaping and meeting me here before the sun hits the horizon, not at, nor after. You will then be attending next year's classes in disguise and deception. If you are not here - you will repeat this year. You are dismissed.” Saiena packed her things up, carefully slid them into her bag, and headed out the door. As Saiena walked down the hall, she felt a hand on her shoulder.
”Sai, nice work” A classmate smiled at her,
his hands shaking. Saiena turned and smiled at him briefly before sighing. His blonde hair was tied behind him, his face pale.
Thanks. I guess?” He laughed slightly, shaking his head.
”I'm no
t trying to be sarcastic Saiena.” She relaxed a bit more, trying to ignore the alarm bells ringing in her head.
“I know…I know...” She continued to walk, trying not to feel a slight blush against her cheek.
”How…I mean, do you have any plans for t
onight?” He followed her, hands in his pockets.
”I guess…why?” He sighed, looking down.
”I was wondering if you could help me with some things…I'm useless…I don't think I'm going to pass first time around.” She frowned for a moment, the alarm bells ringing with more force.
”I don't know, Rican.” Rican frowned, stopping as she continued to walk.
”Don't worry about it Sai…I'm sure
I'll be alright, I mean, most people end up doing it twice, right?” She turned around, her heart fluttering for a second.
Meet me here tonight at six. I can help you for an hour or so.” She sighed and continued walking. Whispering to herself, she opened the doors and started to head back to the boarding halls. “I'm going to regret this...I can feel it”
 
Saiena watched through the small window. Sundown was approaching; she could only hope that Marcus or her brother wouldn't return once it got dark. Just to give her enough time. She had escaped from them twice now, this time would hopefully be lucky third and last time. She untied her boots, waiting for the cover of darkness.
 
“Hey Sai” Rican smiled at Saiena as she leant against the wall of the school building.
”You're late.” She frowned, her hair tied bac
k into a tight bun, her clothing tight. She was wearing lightweight boots, especially designed for thieving. Saiena turned from him, feeling her heart start to beat faster.
”Come with me to the cells.
” She began. I'm going to guard you - by pacing, around the cells for an hour. You have to slip out unnoticed within an hour and meet me back outside. If you don't succeed, I can help point out where you went wrong.” Rican nodded and followed her. Reaching the cells - the training grounds of the college, he smiled suddenly, placing a hand on her shoulder.
”What?” She asked, turning around. He shrugged slightly, his cheeks pink. She smiled quizzically at him, wondering what he was up to. “What do you need Rican?” She froze suddenly as Rican moved forward, breaking the distance between them. Her heat went into overdrive as he leant forward, brushing her lips with his own. She gasped slightly. No-one had ever been that close to her,
in fact, no-one had ever tried. He placed an arm around her back, holding her tight. She tensed for a moment, before closing her eyes. She had never been hugged since she was a child, never been held. She relaxed slightly. It wasn't so bad. She returned his kiss briefly, feeling herself start to tremble. He leant her against the wall, kissing down her neck. She let him, closing her eyes. She forced all thoughts out of her head. All thoughts that told her that he was using her, all thoughts that told her she shouldn't be doing this. Her skin prickled as she felt his hand against her stomach, letting out a slight gasp, she leant into his arms. For now, she decided. She'd let herself be held for the first time.

It was finally dark. There were two guards at the front of her tent, but none - as far as she could tell, anywhere else. She smiled, still not understanding why her father was sent to find her. He wasn't one to outsmart a thief, because he was never trained from childhood like she was. He couldn't even plan a successful guard unless he knew how to escape himself. She pulled off both boots, grabbing her blade out of one. Carefully, she started to cut open the side of the tent, thread by thread. If she cut too fast, the sound of ripping canvas might be heard. If she went to slow, she risked being caught in the act. Cutting a triangle out of the tent, barefoot, she slowly slipped out of the tent. Still, the only guards she could find were at the south of the tent. She slipped behind the back wall of the tent and scanned around her. There was a second tent to the east of hers. To the north was clear field. If she could make it to the border of the field, she could reach the forest. From there she could locate where she lost Cadeyn. She could track, hopefully, where Cadeyn went. She poked her head around the corner of the tent, watching the guards to ascertain their position once more. One was slumped, most probably asleep. The second was much straighter, turning his head from side to side and throwing the occasional glace at the tent. She would have to carefully and silently make her way to the forest if she wanted to escape. She'd keep watch on the guards as much as she could. Bending down, she dug her hands into the dirt, rubbing as much as she could into her face, hands and feet. She had to blend with the darkness as much as possible. She looked up, a cloud covering the moon. Now was her chance. She started out slowly at first, trying to keep silent. Then she moved on to a faster pace. She was halfway. If she ran, she still risked being caught. She turned around for a moment to see what the guards were doing. One was moving. Around the tent. Her heart began to beat faster. Panicking, she quickened her pace. She had to get free from them. They had never caught her before. The guard reached the rip. He froze. Saiena bolted towards the forest. It was now or never. She immediately heard the sound of someone running in her direction. She pushed herself, her feet feeling the leaves of the forest. Once under the cover, she looked for a hiding place. None obvious around, she bolted into the forest, happy to have the distance and cover of the trees. She first noticed a group of rocks - big enough for her to get cover from. She threw her package of bread one way, hoping to lead him off guard. Climbing under the rocks, her heart beat faster, and faster. She could now only keep still and hide. She heard him approach her and stop. He was looking for her. She felt his eyes on the rocks and held her breath. He started to walk towards the bread. He was falling for it. He stopped again, letting out a loud sigh. His next words sent a chill down her spine and her teeth to clamp down upon her lip.
”Saiena. I know your hiding here. I was waiting for you to escape.” She froze. It was him. It was Rican.
 
She woke up from the floor of the cells alone. Her heart jumped a mile, her clothes still semi undone. Buttoning them up and putting her hair back its place, her heart started beating faster, her hands shaking. She had been used. She was just as bad as her mother. She was a whore. Thoughts filled her head as she bolted upstairs and out of the cells. It was almost sundown. Running through the college, she burst into the building and down the hall. She had minutes to sundown, if she didn't hurry to the classroom she would be late - she would fail. Continuing to fix her hair as she ran, she burst through the classroom doors with little time to spare. All eyes turned to her, all with a smirk on their faces. Her cheeks burned as they all watched her move across the classroom and take her seat. She hung her head as she heard a few snickers. What did they know? Did he say something? The girl next to her cleared her throat, letting out a whisper between coughs.
”Whore…” She froze. It had all been set up. She was used, embarrassed and horrified. She turned to look at Rican. He was in his seat, a smirk on his face. He turned to her for a moment. A tear rolled down her face, her hands trembling. She turned away and placed her hands over her face without a word. A sinking feeling hit him, watching her. His shoulders fell as he looked down to the floor. His friends patted him on his back.
”Well done. You've broken miss perfect in.”
 
She forced back tears as he stood there. She couldn't be caught now, not ever. She'd never go through that again. She'd never let anyone close enough. Never. He walked towards the rocks, straight to her hiding place.
”Saiena, come out…trust me?” She grimaced. She'd never trust him. Never again. He spotted her and stopped. She closed her eyes. She'd fight him. Fight him until the end. But he didn't grab her, he didn't pull her out. He just stood there. She braced herself, drawing her second blade, one for each hand.
”Saiena please…” She looked up, confusion written across her face. Why wasn't he attacking? Why wasn't he dragging her back? Fear hit her. Did he want something else?
”Sai…I'm sorry. I'm sorry you left on bad terms…I'm sorry for what I did.” She looked away for a moment, her fists starting to shake, rage building inside of her.
”What do you want? What for Aemeil's sake do you want this time?” She spat, she stood and faced him, every piece of her wanted to hit him. To tear him apart. To make him feel like she did.
”They…I…They thought It'd be funny...I didn't mean to hurt...I don't know Sai. It's my fault. Will you at least let me explain?” She glared at him, spitting her words out.
”Explain what Rican? Explain how you used me and left me there. Explain how you then told everyone of your…your feat. Explain how you humiliated me, how you destroyed everything I knew. You left me to be humiliated every day, the word whore may have as well been written across my forehead. I hate you, Rican. I'll hate you until your dead, then some.” He stood there, his shoulders slumped.
”What happened to the baby?”
 
Her belly had started to show. She drew all over her books, the rims around her eyes dark. The teacher was speaking something about voices, but she was leagues away. She unconsciously slipped her hand over her stomach, feeling a foot. Or perhaps it's a shoulder or knee. Or elbow. Everyone started to stand, packing their things. In a daze, she followed suit. She couldn't remember a word the teacher had said. Things were like that these days. She walked out the door, her head down.
”Saiena! There you are!” A dark haired boy smiled at her. Her brother stood tall and broad. He was put up a few years when they started to lean thievery. She only saw him once or twice a year, at most. He was always off somewhere, helping the Crest steal something or other. She smiled, nervously as he first saw her stomach.
”I heard.”
She looked up, his eyes still smiling.
”Yeah..” She suddenly found his arms around her.
”Look. Mother is coming to visit, she knows already. She wants you to leave with her…its unhealthy for you here. She wants you to not have to worry about everyone. She'll support you and the child for awhile.” She sighed. She knew this already. Her mind was set, she would go. Someone pushed her from behind as they past, snickering.
”Hey!” her brother yelled as they walked past. Saiena didn't even flinch. She was used to it.
”She said father might be coming soon.” He grinned for a split second before trying to hide his smile.
”Wonderful. So you get to spend time with him. He's been exiled from Varshore for murdering his own wife.” Carahel smiled at her.
”Who knows what's true.” Saiena
sighed and continued to walk down the hall.
”You're the only man I don't hate. I hate even him.” She closed her eyes as he yelled down the hall.
”You've never met him! He's not so bad Sai, you might like him. Maybe I could introduce you to him…he doesn't have to know you're his daughter
. I could say you're a friend?

The following night, her mother burst into her dorm room.
”We have to go Saiena, now.” Saiena looked up from her book.
”Why so sudden?” Saiena looked concerne
d, her mother out of breath.
”H
e's here! Saiena, get your things, NOW” Saiena grabbed her bag.
”Who? Father? Why? Why are we running from him? I'd like to meet him…” Caroline shook her head, hard.
“He wants to kill both of us.”
”What are you talking about? He doesn't know I exist.” Caroline turned a shade of pink.
”He found out.” Saiena turned and frowned.
”You told him?” She asked, throwing clothes into a bag.
”I didn't mean too…he got thrown out of Varshore
, as I told you before, but now he is mad. He wants to take it out on us, Saiena. That includes you, and he'll stop at nothing right now. We have to get out of here. We'll stop at the shades market for awhile, I've been spending a lot of time there…The innkeeper knows me well.”
”You slept with the innkeeper.” Saiena glared at her mother. “I'm ready.” Caroline stared at her daughter.”
”I love him Sai, we'
re going to get married.” Sai glared at her for a moment, slinging her pack across her back.
”If you say so.” Caroline sighed, grabbing her arm.
”We have to hurry…follow me…and Sai?” Caroline looked at her daughter, her eyes filling up with tears.
”I miss the daughter I used to have
.”
 
Through the night they fled. They were being chased. Saiena leant against a tree, out of breath.
”I know
it's hard to run when your pregnant Saiena…we are close…we have to go. They are getting closer.” Saiena drew in a breath and continued running. They had seen them fleeing. There were three people following them at a steady pace. Her breath drew in sharply, coming back in pants. She tripped, landing on her knees.
”It's okay, Sai.” Holding out a hand, Caroline helped her daughter up. Then they found them.
”HALT!” They froze, turning around.
”Sai! Run!” Taking off, they knew the voice. Marcus had followed them. “Don't look back, just run!” The city was just appearing on the horizon. That's when she heard it. A scream
, then a gurgle. An arrow pierced her mothers throat, another through her stomach. Her mother trembled, blood running out of her mouth. Saiena looked up then ran. When she reached the inn, it occurred to her she was no longer being followed. She then collapsed on the doorstep.
 
When she awoke, something felt odd. Her stomach ached. The innkeeper was looking down on her, his face solemn.
”Is your name Saiena?” She looked up, confused. Her stomach felt…soft. She stared at the innkeeper.
”Yes…” He looked down towards her stomach.
”I'm sorry for your loss…your daughter was too small…she didn't make it.” Confused, she sat up, memories slowly flowing back. Distant memories of aches, pains and screaming. Screaming that it
's not time. Pushing, crying. She had lost her daughter. Her mother, blood gurgling from her mouth.
 
Carahel's faced dropped as his father came home alone.
”I'm so sorry Carahel…you're sister was uncontrollable. She murdered your mother when she found out she was marrying the innkeeper.
I couldn't stop her in time, none of us could.” Carahel slid against the wall, confused. Her sister had changed so much over the last few months. She had fallen pregnant and she had changed. She had lost her sanity. He shook his head, his fists shaking. He smacked the ground with a closed fist.
”She'll pay for this.”
 
“It's none of your goddamn business, bastard.” She glared at him. “Are you going to try to take me back to the camp, or not.” He shook his head.
”I just want to know what's going on. I want to know what happened to our baby. I want to know what really happened to your mother.” Tears started to fall, her fist wiping them away.
”He killed her, that bastard killed my mother.” He looked confused for a moment, looking at her.
”Your father? But he said…” he thought for a moment, watching her.
”He killed his own wife, for Aemeil's sake, then my Mother. Do you think I care what he says? He murdered his wife in Varshore and was exiled. He went after my mother.” Rican stood for a moment, his face no longer puzzled.
”Did he hurt…the baby?” he asked, quietly.
”After running from them…I went into labor that night. She was too small. She didn't survive.” Rican turned away, looking down.
”I didn't mean to hurt you. I was…they kept on telling me…and I didn't think I'd actually do it.” She glared at him.
”You didn't think it'd be that easy. Rican, what the hell do you want with me. I wanted you then because I'd never had someone to care about me. I'd never had someone to hold. You were the first person who ever showed interest in me. For a split moment, I felt loved.” Rican turned away, guilt showing on his face.
”I did really like you, you know?” he asked, slowly. Saiena glared at him.
”It's too late for that.” She hissed “Why are you standing around, aren't you going to try to get me back?” Rican turned to towards camp.
”Go. Hurry.” He grimaced. “I owe you one. I'm going to be in Calenbree soon. I can find out what happened to your friend and meet you there.” He turned back to the camp, hearing loud voices.
”Run!” He turned back to the camp, breaking into a jog. He yelled back towards the camp as they approached him.
”The rat's gone again! I think she's headed towards Hemlin again! I thought she went this way…but there's no sign of anyone around here!”