Original Stories Fan Fiction / Romance Fan Fiction ❯ The Crusade of the Quandary ❯ The Field ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
 
 
The sun beat down upon Cadeyn, streaks of pink ripped into her fair skin and beads of sweat had drenched Shirren. Finally exhausted by the heat, Shirren had begun to slow. With a sigh, Cadeyn admitted defeat for the day. She looked up at the clear blue sky. If the weather was so hot during the day, she thought, it may be faster to travel through the nights. Slowing Shirren down to a stop, she dismounted, leading him towards shade and water. She smiled, a large chestnut tree blowing in the breeze looked the perfect opportunity to enjoy the sun and get some rest. She allowed Shirren to roam free, feeling a strange bond of trust between them. Shrugging it off, she drunk from the river, quenching her thirst. Standing she rubbed her sides. She was sore, tired and needed sleep. She figured she'd sleep through the day as much as she could, then she'd head off again when she felt replenished. She brushed a few leaves away from the ground, leaning against the trunk of the tree. Looking through the field, she frowned. The grass was green and lush for most of the meadow she was in, apart from many round patches of dead grass. Her heart thudded for a moment as she stood. There had been a large group of people here. There had been, not too long ago, enough people to form a large army. She shook her head. It couldn't have been anyone else. She bent down to inspect the grass. There was little regrowth, most of the grass was still pale green. She was close. She would find him in the next few days. She closed her eyes, letting Shirren wander around her. She smiled softly and lay down in the grass. Closing her eyes, she tried not to think of Jaser, nor Saiena, her sister that she lost before she realised she had found her. She slowly drifted into a light sleep.
 
”He needs your help, daughter of Varshore, lady of the white.” The woman looked serene, standing in a pool of water. “Do not abandon hope. You shall collide in time, soon. Do not let thoughts of anger take you, it is what the chaotic goddess wants. It's what she needs in order to exist.” Cadeyn, frowning, tried to reach the woman. The water was thick and cold, no matter how far she traveled, the woman stayed the same distance away. Frustrated, Cadeyn yelled.
”Why the hell not? Who needs saving?” The woman smiled, her face relaxed and calm.
”He does, white lady. You're time will come. You shall find him, soon. I cannot tell you when or how, all I can do is to beg you to stay calm. You shall be rewarded, my lady.” She bowed, smiling. Then she frowned, the water beginning to chop around her.
“He is becoming possessed child, by those who want to harm you. To harm you, she must harm him. You must save him.” Cadeyn tried to approach her again, failing, the water too thick.
”Wake now, child. Before she reaches you. She wants to destroy your dreams.” The woman's voice began to crackle, following by a rattling cough. Cadeyn frowned.
”How do I save him?” The woman looked behind her, her face beginning to twist.
”You protect him until the end.
You do not make the mistakes…” The woman screeched suddenly, her face contorting. Cadeyn felt herself being thrown backwards, and hitting ground.

Cadeyn bolted upright. Blinking, her eyes re-adjusted to the sunlight. `what was that' she thought to herself. Who needs saving? Jaser? Is he in danger? What mistakes? Was it just a dream? She blinked slowly, pulling herself to a stand. Shirren was nearby, watching her. Stretching, she walked back to him. She would have to continue on to Raderia. She sighed and went to Shirren.
 
Something stopped her. Turning, she looked behind her. Was that horses on the distance? She squinted, trying to make out the two figures. Shaking her head, she rested a hand on her hilt. If they were strangers, she could perhaps confirm she was heading in the right direction. If they were from Orches Crest, she would stand. She would get her revenge.

Rican pointed far ahead of her “Saiena! That's Shirren!” Saiena frowned, looking ahead.
“And riding him…is Cadeyn? Hurry!” Within minutes they caught up to Cadeyn, still standing in the middle of the field, Shirren by her side.
“Sai..Saiena…you're not dead!” Cadeyn frowned, noticing the dark circles around Saiena's eyes, then the man who sat on the horse next to her.
“Likewise.” Saiena nodded for a moment. “This is Rican. He is a…a…friend.” Cadeyn frowned for a moment.
“They were close…I can feel it. I must push on…you have much to tell me Saiena…Sister”
Saiena smiled for a moment.
“That I do. Let's go.” Saiena smiled at her, her eyes forcing to stay open. She frowned slightly as Cadeyn mounted. The moment she tried to sleep, her eyes refused to shut, flooding with memories.
 
“See I told you she slept with him.” She heard someone whisper “you can see the proof under her dress.”
“Whore”
“Slut”
“Get ting fat there Saiena?” Saiena turned away, ignoring the comments.
“Hey Saiena?” Saiena turned to the voice, a younger blonde student.
“Are you really pregnant? Or are you just fat?” Saiena snarled slightly, staring straight ahead. Rican looked up for a moment, his friends beside him. For a moment he looked like he might ask how she was. She stared at him for a moment, seeing one of his friends jab him in the side. He smirked for a second.
“Been busy with the boys?” She frowned, walking past. She felt his eyes follow her as his friends sniggered. “I told you she's a whore, right?”