Original Stories Fan Fiction / Romance Fan Fiction ❯ The Crusade of the Quandary ❯ Seven Demons ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Jaser sat in the grass frowning, he had not asked for the wise woman to accompany him to Raderia. But here they were, and she followed him around, laughing at his mistakes. Something was wrong, he knew it. The wise woman was right - there was too much massacre, too much anger, too much chaos for this to be Shalenti's army. There was a balance of good and bad within the world before this crusade. However, now, whenever they left a village, it was reeking with poverty and chaos. He looked towards Raderia, the town of rouges and gypsies. Everyone seemed so happy, bustling around with day to day activities. He took twelve men with him on his mission. To return, he would need to bring thirty six men back. He looked out to the village as his men prepared themselves. It would be a long night. Once they had prepared tents for their stay, they would approach the villagers in the morning. He sighed and turned towards his tent.
”Jaser, Child of Varshore.” He turned to the wise woman.
”I am not a child.” He spat, frowning. She laughed for a moment before ushering him into her tent.
”If you must, child.” She smirked. “follow me. Hurry now.” Gritting his teeth he waited for her reason of disturbing him.
”Now, child. It is time.” She a flickering smile flashed across her face. “Pass me that necklace of yours.” She rubbed her hands together, filling a clay bowl with water, placing it on the ground before her.
”What are you talking about, Woman.” He frowned at her. She only smiled.
”I know you have that necklace. It belonged once to the white lady.” She smirked again at his face. “Yes, yes, now hand it over.”
”Why? What are you going to do? How do you know I have it?” Jaser took a step back. `When was the last time I looked at it?' he wondered. He looked behind him. It had been a long time since he had thought about her. He stuck his hand into his pocket. It was still there. He felt empty suddenly, wondering if she had noticed it was missing. A smile, suddenly lingered on his face, memories flashing back to him.

”What's in the box, Cade?” Jaser asked, a grin on his face. Day's after her mother's burial, she had begun to cling to a wooden box Elizabeth gave her. Turning away, she sighed.
”Inside are some family heirlooms, my mother's.” Her voice was quiet and solemn. “There was the necklace that she exchanged for my life in there.” She hugged the box to her chest, looking down.
”Oh, want to share?” He grinned, trying to make her smile. She simply shrugged, still holding the box to her chest. “Come on” He
started “It's too weird seeing you like this.” He smiled at her, touching her shoulder, hoping for her to turn around.
”You don't know what it's like.” She started, beginning to walk away.
”Hey!” He followed her. “Don't be like that, Cade. Remember I don't have a mother. She died giving birth to me.” She stopped walking, her head bowed.
”I'm sorry.” Cadeyn uttered, a small smile touched Jaser's face.
”It's alright. What I've been through is still different from what you've been through. But remember Cade, at least you've had fourteen summers with your mother, to know what she's like and have that memory of a mother who loved you more than anything.” He took in a deep breath, trying to hide a tinge of sadness to his voice. “I never knew my mother. Elizabeth nursed me and my father raised me from there. In a way, she helped save my life too. Don't be too sad.” He sighed, waiting for some sign she'd come out of her shell. Finally, she turned around, a sad smile on her face.
”I'm sorry.” She started. “Would you like to see?” The smile fell from her face, leaving little emotion showing. With a grin,
Jaser nodded.
”Sure, why not?” Curious to see what she could be clutching so tightly, he sat with her as she opened the box. Trinkets and bracelets, necklaces and hatpins, badges and rings shone from the small box. Jaser whistled, slightly blown away.
”Holy…” He started. “No wonder you were clutching that so tightly.” He stared at the colours, reaching in and picking up a small ring. “How did your mother get all these? I didn't know you were that well off.” Confused, he stared at the swirling green of the emerald in one of the rings. Cadeyn shrugged.
”I don't know. I know that my mother's parents were fairly well off…but I didn't know it was to this extent. It's not like I can ask her either. Elizabeth told me these were found in the hems of her clothes.” She hesitated, then picked up a ruby necklace, holding it out on her hand. “This one was what she traded for, well, me.” He blinked for a moment.
”If she traded it, she wouldn't still have it. What do you mean?” He asked.
”Well, when I was born, there's that…law. Elizabeth talked to me, and, well explained that my mother bribed her with the rubies. My mother was supposed to run away with me, in exchange for the necklace. But my mother never ran.” He took the necklace from her, staring at it.
”So this necklace saved your life, in a way.” She smiled slightly.
”Yeah.” Jaser grinned. Closing his fist, he stood up.
”I'll make you a deal.” He started, grinning from ear to ear. “I'll let you keep it, if you fight me for it!” Looking up, she frowned.
”Don't…” She started, not impressed. Jaser laughed, drawing his sword. She continued to frown, almost looking angry. Then she laughed.
“I'll get you for that!” Jumping to her feet, she drew her own sword, a mischievous grin on her face. Jaser bolted for the door of the cottage, heading out into the village.
”Bet you can't catch me, slowpoke!” Laughing, she chased him back outside. He smiled. `She'll be fine', he thought, `in time.'
 
“Jaser, Child. Hurry up and hand it to me.” Frowning, the wise woman put her hands on her hips. “I wont take it from you for long.” He pulled it from his pocket suddenly, looking at it.
”How did you know I had it. How do you know the white lady? Who is she?” The wise woman shook her head.
”If you let me see it, I can tell you. You've been carrying it around since you left Varshore, I'm not blind nor stupid.” Reluctantly, he outstretched his arm. As she took it, he put his hand on the hilt of his sword.
”Calm down, Child.” She dipped the necklace in the bowl for a moment, swishing it through the water.
”What are you doing to it?” Stepping forward, she pulled it out of the water. She held the necklace back out to him.
”It'll dry. I was purifying the water, so I can give you're next lesson.” She took a sip of the water.
”Purifying it? How?” He dried the necklace on his pants before slipping the necklace back into his pocket. She shook her head.
”Patience child, Patience.” She motioned for him to sit. As he kneeled, she took in a deep breath. “I last told you about the purity of the gods, did I not?” She didn't wait for him to answer. “Today, I shall tell you about the staff itself.” Her voice crackled for a moment. Jaser frowned, the volatile nature of her voice intriguing him. “Aemiel split her soul into seven parts, some more powerful than the other parts. However, there was something she could not do. Like Shalenti, she could split her soul. However, Shalenti was the one who could repair souls, giving life back to their bodies. But again, they were not like Asalah. Neither could send souls back to the stars. Aemiel could send souls to the pits of her hell, but she reserved that for those who she hated with great passion. Shalenti could replenish souls who were damaged and assist their healing. So when Aemiel split her soul into the seven jewels, she realised a grave mistake. She could not remove herself from the jewels. Instead, she must rely on the one she hated the most. Only Shalenti could heal her and bring her back into the world.”
”But what about being brought together? Surely she wouldn't want to become one with Shalenti if they found her?” Jaser interrupted. The wise woman frowned.
”Do not interrupt me. Once she had locked herself into the seven jewels, she could not create chaos, unless she used the scepter itself to possess the holder. She locked her body within the depths of her hell, inaccessible to both Shalenti and Asalah. So now, she is frozen, she has imprisoned herself. Shalenti, however, did something a little different. She grew a tree around her body, hiding it from Asalah and Aemiel. The tree forever feeds her body, and she dreams. She manifests herself in people's dreams, and travels with them as such. She brings dreams to warn people, to teach people, to use them to create new life. But she is not unhappy and bored like Aemiel. She is content.” Jaser frowned as the wise woman took another sip of the water.
”What is with your voice, woman? It is not crackling and twisting.” She looked up at him for a second, shaking her head.
”Stop interrupting! I shall answer your question in time.” She took another breath, her bowl clinking on the ground. “The seven jewels represent each cardinal sin. If they did not, they would not be able to contain her chaotic ways: Greed, Pride, Sloth, Lust, Gluttony, Wrath and Envy. But she struggled to create as much chaos as one should like, only being able to control one person at a time. She could not appear to them, and that made her angry. Many years ago, Xanthius came in possession of the staff. But something made him stop. He refused to move from Armos, begging for someone to save him. He thrashed about in his tent, twisting, feverish. His crusaders were at loss of what to do, they argued, they fought. They murdered each other in anger, in vain. Finally, they came to me. They were finally ready to listen to the crazy wise woman.” She took another sip from the bowl and cleared her throat.
”You were at the last crusade? How? It was many, many summers ago!” The wise woman shook her head again.
”Let me finish!” She spat. “I shall get there in time!” She shook her head, clearly annoyed. “They asked me what to do. I knew there was the White Lady on her way. The white woman was coming. She would be able to bring him out of his feverish fate. If only there was time. But they did not want to wait, they wanted action, now. They did not want the white woman. They were taught to hate her, to kill her upon first sight. They scorned me. But still, they were afraid. That night there was a battle amongst themselves. They were evenly matched. Eventually, there was only a few left. They decided upon themselves to murder Xanthius, who was oblivious to the fighting inside his tent. He was slaughtered. There were seven survivors. Six of them were adults. One, was just a child. When the white woman arrived, she was protected by a small army. They protected each other, and the six showed their true colours. They were possessed by six of the jewels. The army killed each of the demons, and looked for the seventh. The child, scared, approached the white woman. She knew, deep down, the child suffered the same fate. But the child was not only suffering from the possession. He had seen his whole family murder themselves, he was delirious and delusional. She took pity on the boy, taking him in. Not long after, he murdered the white woman in her sleep.” Her voice crackled suddenly. Picking up the bowl, she took another sip. Jaser waited, trying not to aggravate the woman.
”Child. Do you know who the boy was?” He hesitated for a moment.
”It was Ezekiel, wasn't it.” The white woman smiled.
”You are not slow, Son of Varshore. Ezekiel led his life, angry, mad, delusional. His main goal was to create a new crusade. But he is not led by the honorable goddess. He is corrupted. He is possessed. He is angry, he is wrath. He is simply a minion of the chaotic goddess.” She looked him straight in the eye for a moment. “And you do know, by now, who the white lady was?” He frowned.
”No. She could have been anyone.” The woman shook her head.
”Perhaps I ask too much. She left from your hometown of Varshore, after her husband left with the Crusade. She left in hope that she would find her husband and bring him back home, but he had already been slain. She was guided by the white goddess the whole time, to destroy the crusade and to hide the scepter. She was intended to prevent other lives becoming destroyed, taken apart. But she did not listen to all of Shalenti's orders. She was not supposed to sacrifice herself. That's were everything fell down.” She watched his face for any sign of recollection. “She was not there to return for her daughter, like was planned. Do you know who she is now, Son of Varshore.” Jaser shook his head, still confused.
”That necklace, once belonged to her.” She hinted, turning away. Jaser's eyes lit up for a moment, his brow furrowing.
”Her grandmother! She disappeared before she was born!” The wise woman smirked for a moment.
”Once the white lady passed away, the duty was passed onto her daughter. She was supposed to flee Varshore with her newborn daughter, although she did not. Jaser started to turn a shade of pale as she spoke. “The goddess attempted to guide her through her dreams. She was supposed to take her daughter into hiding, until her daughter could fend for herself. The midwife, was also asked to guide her out of the village, But she did not. She was too fixated with trying to bring her daughter up in the village. She was sure that her mother would return from the crusade. But she too, lost her life to protect another. Then the duty was passed onto the young daughter.” Jaser turned away, his face pale. “She is in danger…”
”Cadeyn.” The wise woman smiled for a moment. “So, is that her name?” The wise woman shook her head.
”Ezekiel does not know it is her. She is not in grave danger.” Jaser looked up at her, his brow furrowed.
”What did you do to her necklace? How were you there at the last crusade? How do you know all this?” The old woman smiled, almost serene.
”I'm getting there, impatient child. When I was a child, I was cursed and blessed at the same time by each of the two gods. Aemiel was the first to curse me, with her knowledge, so it would never be lost. Then Shalenti, sorrowful, blessed me with her divine life. I became an immortal, knowing madness, chaos, love and compassion. I am impure. But I am not a goddess. They do not control me, nor do they know what I know. But I am their medium. I dream awake. I help them convey messages to those who need it.” She shook her head, taking another sip. “Only Aemiel does not like me speaking of her knowledge to some” She laughed. “So she must be suppressed, on these occasions. The white ladies necklace - merely helps me for short amounts of times. It merely purified the water.” She pushed the bowl towards him.
”Now this is the hardest part of your lesson today.” He frowned, his mind buzzing with thoughts.
”What do you mean?” He took the bowl, looking in it for some idea of what she was talking about.
“Aemiel knows your connected to her. She can feel it. You are to be warned of her, child. She will do her best to corrupt you to destroy the white lady before she can bring a child into the world.” Jaser looked up.
”She is with child?” The woman laughed.
”No, son of Varshore. She is not. Drink.” Confused, he raised the bowl to his lips, the water hitting his lips. Almost instantly, he dropped the bowl. The water stung his lips, ripping into his flesh.
”ARGH!” he yelled, pulling away.
”What are you trying to do to me!” He yelled, glaring at the woman. He held his hands over his mouth, his lips burnt. The woman did not answer, instead she grabbed his hands, ripping them away to look lat his face.
”It is too late” She spat. “She has already sunk her claws in. You must fight, Son of Varshore. Fight until the white lady finds you.” She snatched the bowl back, her voice crackling.
”Leave! Now! And do not speak of what we have discussed!”