Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ -Love- ❯ -Love- ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Love
 
The day was cold and gloomy, and Alex is a young child walking down the street slowly. Alex grows up in an unstable family, whereas argument happen everyday between her father and stepmother. Their father kicked her two older brothers out of the house because they didn't do what he wanted them to do. Alex and her older sister were the only two left with her father and stepmother. Their father tented to listen to her sister when he had a fight with his wife over some unrelated things she accuses him of doing. Alex know enough not to get involve whenever there's a fight or argument going on, for she knew that she would end up getting herself in trouble if she does. Thus spending her everyday life with them turn her into a less active person and even quieter than before. She stays in her room after school and hardly come out, and she doesn't even get to see her brothers much after they moved away and into a new house.
Three years had gone by and Alex is now 13 years old and is currently in seventh grade, Alex and her sister also moved out of the house and stay with her two brothers. Her sister, Beth is now 17 years old and going out with a guy just around her age. Alex is particularly not very fond of Beth's boyfriend and their birth mother is also against Beth going out with the guy too. But Beth is stubborn and rebellious, so she end up doing the exact opposite of what their mother told her not to do. While Alex is not as rebellious as her older sister, she only goes against her mother when she sees it fit her to do so, but she make sure that no harm comes to either her mother or her. One of her brother, Charlie got married and Kevin is the older one is still single and staying home with the rest of the others.
Alex become more fun to be around when she met an old friend from elementary in school again, they were friend but not even close friend. Alex is an average person with an odd personality along with a bad temper as well. She stood about 5 feet four, weight around 130 pounds, with short black hair, brown eyes, and lightly tanned skin. While Crystal is a very energetic person, she can also make friends with strangers very easy. She stood at five feet three, weight around 125 pounds, with medium length black hair, brown eyes, and very pale skin. But after their sophomore year, Alex moved to Florida with her family and Crystal also ended up attending another high school. Their bonds of friendship become awfully weak as they moved away from each other and a year later, Crystal's family moved from Kansas City to Independence not very far way but still many states from where Alex are.
Even though they still tried to stay in contact it is very hard to because they're both so busy with school and work that they hardly have the time to write or talk to each other anymore. Crystal become more and more childish than she had ever been, she begins to give Alex headache whenever she called. Alex begin college after staying out of it for a year as Crystal continues on with her college and working at the bank, they would call each other every few months to talk about each other's daily life and even nonsense. One time, Alex admitted to Crystal that she actually had a crush on Crystal in their first two years in high school, and that begin to drive their friendship further apart than before.
On Alex's second year in college; she decided to go to see her old friend after the school year is over. Upon letting Crystal knows the day of Alex's arrival, so that Crystal can go to the airport to pick her up. The drive from the airport back to Crystal's place is in complete silence, and Alex seems to put on her straight face that Crystal just keeps her mouth shut the entire time.
The next day, Alex woke her friend up very early in the morning to go out for breakfast and asked Crystal to take her to a park that is close to a hill with a little waterfall to it. They got there and take a long walk around the park. Suddenly Crystal took off and started running, and called to Alex with her radiant smiles. Alex just shakes her head as she begins to chase after her friend around the park on the soft green grass.
“You can't catch me,” Crystal called to her friend jokingly. Without saying a word to reply to Crystal's little joke, Alex speed up and accidentally got Crystal fallen down on the grass. “So, what are you going to do now that I caught you?” Alex asked her friend breathlessly. Looking down at her friend, Alex just seems to space out all of a sudden. “Well, you don't seem to change that much after moving away for five year…” Crystal replied looking up at Alex's space out face. “Come on,” Alex stood up and extends her hand to Crystal. “To where?” Crystal grabs Alex's hand to get on her feet. “Take me to the little waterfall in the hill not far from here. I haven't been there for a very long time,” Alex answered as they got to the car. “Okay,” Crystal nodded her head as she started the car and drives down the road towards the hillside. The road is small and the trees make it looks dark and eerie as they drive deeper to get to the waterfall.
“Wow, it's still her.” Alex said excitedly as she got out of the car. “Be careful, Alex. It is very slippery to go up there.” Crystal called to her. “Don't worry,” Alex replied as she reaches the top of the little waterfall. “Come on up, it feels great up here.” Alex continues after taking in a deep breath of fresh air. “Alex, a little help!” Crystal shouted as she slips after almost reaching the last step. “ Whoa, I gotcha…” Alex was quick enough to catches Crystal's hand and pulls her up on the top. “Phew, I thought that I was a goner for sure…” Crystal said trying to calm her nerves down. “You're so funny.” Alex just burst out laughing after looking at Crystal's reaction. “Of course, I'm a natural.” Crystal smiles at her friend as they begin to head back down the path.
Alex helps Crystal making dinner just for the two of them. She was washing dishes when her cells phone rings; she picks it up and has a short conversation with someone that even Crystal doesn't know. Crystal asked but Alex said it was nothing and they should head to bed. “So what are you going to do after this?” Crystal asked her friend sitting at the edge of the bed. “Go back and get ready for school.” Alex replied looking at Crystal. “More school?” Crystal exclaimed. “Yeah,” Alex nodded her head. “You are crazy…” Crystal said pinching her friend. “Ow…” Alex starts to chase Crystal around the room as they both laugh. “Gotcha!” Alex said as she got her arms around Crystal. “Whoa…” both exclaimed when Crystal back into the bed and fall down on it along with Alex on top of her. Alex let go of her and push herself off of Crystal, but Crystal didn't seems to mind at all. Moving her hands up to fold the collar on Alex's shirt, Crystal then move her right hand up to touches Alex's face. Alex slowly lowers herself down until she is about an inch away from Crystal. Crystal closes her eyes in expecting something to happen, and Alex just lean down and gently kisses Crystal's tempting lips. When Alex parted her lips from Crystal's, Crystal pulls her back down for a longer kiss. Alex decided to tell Crystal a story after that kiss until Crystal falls asleep.
Alex was gone by the time Crystal wake up the next morning. Leaving behind a note to let Crystal know that she is going back home to get ready for school. Remembering what happened last night, Crystal feels completely uncomfortable. She finally come to a conclusion that what she did with Alex the night before was just a spur of the moment, and she decided that having a boyfriend would proves that she's normal.
Alex has finally finished up with college and is currently enrolling into another college and move up to Tampa and stay up there for school, staying on campus is new to her. Crystal too also finished with her degree and is working for a bank as an accountant, and they are still in touch after years of being apart. Alex never again mentioned her confession many years ago and Crystal seems to forget about it. During her stay on campus, Alex got a chance to go to Japan as an exchange student, along with a friend. For one long year, Crystal didn't get any letters or calls from Alex, while Alex and her friend make a lot of Japanese friends and also learning the culture and language. Alex was even able to meet a friend she met on the internet a long time ago and was offered a job at her friend's husband company, but Alex said that she would consider about it after she is done with school and went back to Florida along with her friend.
After getting her master degree, Alex and her friend decided that they are going to work and save up a lot of money to open up their own business. Crystal then decided to come down and visit her old friend, they meet and tries to catch up with all the things happened the past year. Alex show Crystal all the pictures of her friend and her were taking while they're in Japan to study, a lot of the pictures are taken of Alex, her friend and a bunch of pretty girls. Crystal feels a tiny bit jealous seeing all the girls towering over Alex in the pictures like that. Suddenly the door click open and step in are a young man holding groceries bags, Alex stood up and went to help him put the foods in the refrigerator. They spoke to each other softly and quietly about something that Crystal cannot hear.
“Whose turn is it today?” Alex asked the young man. “Umm… I think it's your turn to cook today…” he replied after a long thoughtful pause. “Oh yeah, this is my old buddy, Crystal. Crystal, this is my roommate, James.” Alex suddenly remembers to introduce her friends to each other. “Hi.” James smiles and shake hands with Crystal and Crystal did the same thing back. “Now you be nice to her while I'm going to fix us dinner, ayite?” Alex said as she went into the kitchen and start cooking. “Since when did she learn how to cook?” Crystal is surprises to learn that Alex can cook. “Since we went to Japan and have to live together for a year over there. She learned how to cook from Yuko-sama,” James smiles at the thought. “So what do you guys do for a living?” Crystal asked staring at the picture of Alex and a girl standing next to her. “Nothing. We're waiting to hear from our friends in Japan, if it is good news then both of us moves over there right away start on our job immediately. We find a lot of trustworthy workers over here; they are so into their work that it's getting kind of scary at times.” James laughs.
Dinner was ready and they all have dinner, Crystal didn't stay for long and left to go back home. Alex and James begin to pack up their stuffs as they good the good news from their friends in Japan. They give their family a call and left without letting any of their friends know that they're leaving, not even the closest one. They got there and begin their small business in Kobe instead of Tokyo, work themselves to death as their business begins to grow. James finally found the girl of his dream and got married in Japan, and then bringing her back to the U.S. with him and working in the company in Florida. James and Tom working together running the company and making sure that things should be the ways it were meant to be. While Alex and Hannah runs the company in Japan together, but Alex works as translator for all the anime that were produced and then shipped over to the company in the U.S.
Crystal got married and think that her feeling for Alex was a just a spur of a moment thing. Her family were pleased that she got married, but she doesn't feel that way at all. Two years later, she divorced her husband and moved out and lives on her own. Her feelings for Alex begin to grow deeper and deeper as the days gone by; until Crystal asked James where in Japan did Alex stay. James told her everything and gives her Alex's address in Japan, Crystal buy a plane ticket and went to Japan without any hesitation. James contacted Hannah to come to the airport and pick Crystal up, telling Hannah that Crystal are a good friend of Alex.
Hannah was nice enough to do James a favor and pick Crystal up; driving home Hannah didn't say a word about Alex's life in Japan or anything for that matter of fact.
“Here we are,” Hannah finally break the silence between them as she pull up in front of a medium house. Helping Crystal with the luggage, Hannah unlocks the door and show Crystal to her room. “Sorry, the house is a little messy. Alex just went away with her friend a couple of days ago; they're visiting Yuko-sama. Make yourself at home; I have to pick Ayame from work. See you later.” Hannah said as she left the house. Crystal begins to unpack and take a shower, clean up the place, and even cook dinner. Crystal could here noises from outside, but she couldn't tell what was going on.
<So this girl is a friend of Alex-chan?> a girl asked Hannah as they got out of the car. <Yeah, that's what James said….>”Hannah replied but was cut off by Alex's laughter. <Hey guys…> Alex said to them happily. <Good evening,> a girl about Alex's age greeted Hannah and the other girl. <Hey, Alex-san.> <Eh?> <There's a girl named Crystal coming to see you…> <Wha?! Are you serious, Nami-chan?!> Alex stares at Hannah. “Of course I'm serious, because I picked her up earlier.” Hannah said in English. <Ayame, do you know what they're talking about?> Alex's friend asked the other girl. <Alex's old friend is here to see her, sounds kind of tense though.> Ayame replied. <I just hope that it is not as bad as it sound,> the other girl continued. <Come on, Hitomi. I'll introduce you to my very old friend…> Alex said softly as she hold Hitomi's hand and walk up to the door.
“Crystal, what are you doing here?” Alex asked her friend as she steps inside along with everyone else. “What? I came here to see my old buddy…” Crystal replied diligently. “Well, you don't normally come to see me or call me unless there's something wrong…” Alex said sitting down next to Crystal. “Why don't we put that aside and have dinner instead of arguing?” Crystal suddenly changes the subject. Alex just let out a sigh and they all went to the dinning room for dinner. After dinner, they all get a chance to meet each other and speak to Crystal for a bit but having a hard time saying things right when their English are not very good. Frustrated they went to take a shower and go to sleep, leaving Alex alone with Crystal to say whatever needs to be said.
“What happened between you and your husband, eh?” Alex finally breaks the silence between them. “We're… divorced…” Crystal let out a heavy sigh. “What's wrong? He cheated on you or something?” “No, he didn't cheat on me or anything. It just that our marriage doesn't work out, and I've been thinking about what you said to me eleven years ago…” “It was eleven years ago, Crystal. Back then, you never returned my feeling for you. But then I met Yuko-sama's daughter when James and I signed up to study aboard for a year over here. Yuko-sama and her daughter then become our Japanese tutors, but I soon found out that Yuko-sama's daughter and I begin to have a kind of unnatural affection for one another. I'm 28 years old now, and I've found someone who returned my love. We've been together for two years and everything is just fine,” Alex said quietly as she pours the tea for both Crystal and herself. “Nami-chan is staying with us tonight because her house is almost finished. Her husband is staying there while she stays over here with us; Ayame is our new roommate. Hitomi-sensei is teaching at a school in Kobe, so she stays here with me.” Alex continues as she gives Crystal a cup of tea.
“How long have you known her?” Crystal asked her friend in a jealous voice. “We've known each other for six years now, but we've been living together for the last two years…” Alex replied as she slowly sips her tea. “So what kind of job are you working on over here?” Crystal changes the subject. “I work as an Anime Translator,” Alex replied. “Really?” “Really, really…” Alex smiles at her friend. “Hey, do you remember Katty?” Crystal asked suddenly. “Yeah, how is her life?” Alex remembers a girl with long black hair and brown skin from long ago. “Good. She married Dan, the guy she dated for over three years. They make a very good couple and she actually becomes a very good cook too.” Crystal said tilting her head back to look up at the ceiling. “Come on.” Alex stood up and held out her hand to Crystal. “It's getting late and you need to get some rest…” Alex looks at her old friend. “You're always the mature one between the two of us,” Crystal grabs Alex's hand and follows her into a room where Crystal stays. “Yeah, I'm the mature and you're the childish one.” Alex laughs as she tucks Crystal in bed. “Good night. I'll see you tomorrow…” Alex said to Crystal after giving her a kiss on the forehead.
Alex closes the door behind her and went to her room to get some sleep. The light in her room was still on when Alex opens her door and saw Hitomi was sitting on the bed reading a novel. Hitomi closes the book and put it away as soon as Alex closes the door and approaches her. <Are you going to stay home tomorrow?> Hitomi asked Alex. <Nah,> Alex replied softly as she slips under the cover. <You need to stay home and take your friend on a tour or something; she is not here to lock up in our house you know?> Hitomi sounds a bit angry. <I'll do as you said, but on one condition…>”Alex grinned at Hitomi. <What is it?> Hitomi stares at Alex as she crawl on top of Hitomi. <Say that you love me.> Alex move a bit closer to Hitomi. <No…> Hitomi said feeling the warm air from Alex's breath. <Okay. I guess somebody else will say it then.> Alex shrugs her shoulder, as she was about to get out from under the cover. <NO!> Hitomi shouted grabbing Alex's left hand. <Eh?> Alex turns around and looks at Hitomi confusingly. <I… love you…> Hitomi whispered to Alex. <Wha?!> Alex act like she didn't even hear what Hitomi just said. Without saying anything more, Hitomi wraps her arms around Alex's neck and pulls Alex down on top of her. She then kisses Alex passionately for so long that Alex has to push her away so that she could breathe. <What are you doing?> Hitomi asked looking at Alex's red face. <Can't breathe…> Alex replied. <Use your nose, silly.> Hitomi smiles at her lover as she hold Alex's nose, she then tilted her head a little and kisses Alex again.
The next day went just as Hitomi told Alex; Crystal was full of energy and having a great time being with Alex. They spend the entire week going from place to place and staying in the hotel together, and they talk about all the things that happened to them in the past couple of years. On the night before Crystal is to fly back the America, both her and Alex were sitting outside on the front porch and talk about how much they are going to miss each other. Suddenly Crystal lean over and give Alex a long kiss, a kiss that surprises Alex so much that she didn't even close her eyes at all. Alex, who always speaks her mind suddenly become frozen by the feeling of Crystal's warmth. Crystal then pulls away from Alex and look up at Alex wanting to find some reaction but there was none.
“I just wish that this moment would last forever,” Crystal said resting her head on Alex's shoulder. “Nothing could last forever; you and I are now growing old as we speak. We will grow old and withered away just like every living things,” Alex sighs. “You know? I haven't had a quiet night like this for a long time…” Crystal smiled. “I guess so,” Alex replied softly as she looks up at the night sky. “Hey, are you going to miss me?” Crystal asked as she too looks toward the sky. “I guess so,” Alex replied unemotionally. “Don't worry; I'll call you when I got home.” Crystal said as she lay down on the wooden floor. “Can I use your lap as a pillow to rest my head on?” Crystal asked already resting her head on Alex's lap. “Sure,” Alex said still not looking down at her friend. “Don't you wish that we could somehow turn back the hand of time?” “Hello, Earth to Crystal. If we can do that, then there wouldn't be any tragedies, is there?” Alex pinches Crystal's nose so that she can't breathe. “Come on, I'm just kidding….” Crystal said nervously. “It is not funny!” Alex yells at her.
The next day, Alex took Crystal to the airport to board the plane and went back to America. For months to come, Crystal begins to call Alex more often than usual to talk about nothing but nonsense. Alex finally breaks and buries herself with work at the company and rarely come home anymore. Every time she comes home, the phone would ring and Hitomi and her would have a quarrel about it afterward. After every quarrel, Hitomi would kick Alex out of the room and Alex has to sleep in the guest's room. So, by burying herself with work, Alex would come home late at night to avoid facing Hitomi. Hitomi is so used to having Alex coming home so late at night that she just fixed dinner and ignore the phone, she grades the school's papers and then off to bed. Even on the weekend, Alex said that there are piles of work that needed to be finish up at work and asked Ayame to take Hitomi out for her. As the months went on, Alex becomes thinner and older. Hitomi's parents wondered why they haven't seen Alex for over a year, since they know that Alex always come to visit them whenever there's a festival. Hitomi just told her parents that Alex is busy with work and couldn't come to visit them or that she is working oversea and won't come back for a couple of months.
One day, Alex collapses at work and Ayame rushes her coworker to the hospital nearby. Alex asked that Ayame not to call Hitomi or anyone to come, and she stay there to the entire afternoon to get some x-rays done. She went home and acted as if nothing had happened, and Ayame have to do the same or Hitomi would notice. Three days later, Alex got the result from the hospital about her x-rays. <It seems that you're having a tumor that is growing on the main cell stem.> the doctor told Alex. <How long is my lifespan?> Alex asked calmly. <You have a month to live…> he replied softly in an almost whispers tone. <Okay,> Alex said unemotionally. <But we would like to try and do a surgical procedure in trying to remove it though,> the doctor continues after a long pause. <What will the success rate be?> Alex doesn't sound very interest in it. <About ten percent,> he replied sadly. <So… either way, I'm still going to die, right?> Alex asked him quietly. <Yes, but if we succeed… You might not remember anything you got or even your family. Are you willing to take that risk?> he asked her. <If there's a chance that I might continue on with my life for a little bit longer, I would very much like to fight for it. I wanted to make other people's dream come true as well as my own, so I'll do it.” Alex smiles at her doctor. With that in mine, Alex went back to work with Ayame.
<You know that I'll always be here for you no matter what, right?> Ayame said to Alex at the end of the day. <Of course,> Alex smiles at her friend. <So, you need to have a lot of fun before you go into surgery, okay?> Ayame asked. <Whatever you say,> Alex still smiles. <Crystal is already here and you need to get it straight between her and Hitomi, okay?> Ayame continue. <Okay, but don't you peep a word to anyone about this. You got it?> Alex gives Ayame a stern gaze that Ayame get chills down her spine. <Promise,> Ayame answered nervously. <Good.> Alex smiles again.
The three girls have fun for two weeks. But on the second week, Alex collapses into one of her short-term coma again. Crystal and Hitomi rushes Alex to a nearby hospital, and they also found out that Alex only has two weeks left to live. <How long are you going to hide it from me?> Hitomi asked Alex quietly as she comes out of her coma. “Look, I'm healthy and I'm fine so let's go.” Alex said to both of the girls as she walks out of the hospital. “No, you have to stay and get some treatment!” Crystal shouted at Alex. “We'll talk about it when we got home, okay?” Alex glares at Crystal. “Fine!” <Fine.> both girls replied as they got inside the taxi with Alex.
<How's the trip?> Ayame come out to greet them as they come inside the house. “Look, I'm having a headache so I'm going to bed, we'll talk about it tomorrow.” Alex said stumbling into her room. “What happened?” Ayame finally asked in English so that Crystal can understand. “She collapsed when we're going to have breakfast.” Crystal said. “We took her to the hospital and found out that she got a brain tumor, and she's going to die in two weeks.” Hitomi just break down and cry. “There, there, she's going to do a surgery that might save her life next week.” Ayame tries to calm Hitomi down a bit. “Really?” both girls look at Ayame hopefully. “Yeah. But the chances of her being alive and well after the surgery is only about ten percent. Even if she made it, she will have to start her life all over again. That means she won't remember any of us…” Ayame said sadly. Nami-chan almost got a heart attack when she heard the news about Alex's condition; both Tom and James said that they would book a flight to come to Japan to see Alex immediately.
Everyone gathers and celebrates the summer's festival, and they told Alex that they would be there for her always. Crystal and Hitomi said that they would wait for Alex forever if they have to. Alex thank everyone before she went into the hospital for her surgery, knowing that she might not return alive she is happy to know that she have great friends.
<Alex, I'll wait for you forever if you come back out and not remember me. I'll always look at you from afar and still be happy that you're alive, because I love you.> Hitomi said as tears come to her pretty brown eyes. <I know, but you need to forget about me and move on with your life if I don't remember you. If you truly love me, then you need to move on no matter what happens to me.> Alex said giving Hitomi one last deep kiss. “I'll said whatever she said,” Crystal still jokes. “Hahahahahah…” Alex laughs at her friend. “Anyway, I truly love you and we'll wait for you to come back.” Crystal said putting her hand on Hitomi's shoulder. “Love my Hitomi for me instead of loving me, will ya?” Alex said hugging Crystal tightly. “Thank you everyone for being here, please take care of the companies for me,” Alex said to Nami-chan, Tom, James, and Ayame as she bows her head in gratitude. “You're still the boss no matter what,” everyone replied bowing back at her as she goes into her room to get ready for the surgery. Soon, the nurses come in and roll her out on the strolling table. Alex gives her friends one last look and a radiant smiles that she took with her into the operation room, not knowing if she would survive this operation or not.
 
 
 
7