Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ A Candied Heart ❯ Why can't I be my father? ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
“Of all the new students in the WORLD!” Kent yelled as he and his sister walked through the front door to their house. He threw his bag to the corner, a bit more violently than usual and Circee sat on the big couch against the opposite wall.
“Oh come on Kent. He probably doesn’t even know who we are.” Circee sighed. “And he was so sweet, I’m sure he’s harmless.” She tossed her long red hair over her shoulder and began to read the music book that she had been holding.
“Oh no you don’t.” Kent said and grabbed the book from her. “That is the kid that almost stole mom away from us. And now he’s going to be all intense with you for some stupid musical? No. You’re quitting.”
“Whoa… OK, I know you think you have to protect me and stuff, but seriously, Ezekiel is a nice boy.” Circee stood and made a grab at the music book.
“You don’t even know the guy!” Kent said and pulled back on the book. “What if end up just like mom and he seduces you and gets you knocked up?!” He hollered at his sister. Circee’s eye widened and she let go of the book.
“Last I checked… I’m not mom.” She then punched her brother in stomach. He gave a little oomph and she took a hold of the music book. “And he isn’t his dad. And since I’ve always had my Brother and Father up my ass about boys, I really don’t think I’m that easy either!” She yelled as she stomped her way up the stairs. “Don’t be a jerk Kent, Mom never left us, and it wouldn’t have been his fault.”
And with that, Kent was left alone in the living room to think about what he had said…..



A few later, Ezekiel could be seen walking the hallway after class one day, looking as if he were in a state of panic. “Just…. Act like dad! Yeah! He’s all cool and suave and sophisticated and….. Stuff. “Ezekiel mumbled to himself. He was working on a ‘plan of attack’ to somehow get the girl to like him. He didn’t know why, he was just gravitated towards her. “Ok-ok.” Ezekiel stopped in the middle of busy school hall and cleared his voice. “You have ze very nice eyes ‘nd I would zou zake you zou house and….. Ok, were the hell did that accent come from?! Ohhhhh I should have asked my grandma for advice on this stuff…. Ok Next plan! Just be cool.” He took a deep breath then made the coolest look he could. Then he saw her a few feet away from him, Putting her books up in her locker, obviously getting ready for the Rehearsal that was coming up, and he felt all his cool be melted away and the uneasiness settle in his stomach.
Circee sighed as she put her hair behind her ear, looking in her little locker mirror to make sure her makeup still looked as fresh as it needed to be. She rubbed at her lipstick a bit when suddenly someone was behind her…. Jonathan…. Again.
“Hey Circee, I happened to be in the neighborhood when I realized, oh hey! We still aren’t going out yet.” He smiled at her. Honestly, the guy wasn’t bad looking or anything. And he was Kent’s friend… He just didn’t tickle Circee’s fancy.
“Mmmm. Yeah, too bad,” Circee said not even looking at him. “I have to go now.” She pick up her over sized pursed and closed the door to her locker.
“Oh come on Circee!” Jonathan said and reached for her hand. “Can’t we just go on one date? Just one?” He pleaded her.
“Every day you ask. EVERYDAY. And every day, I say no.” She looked at him and stuck out her hip in an annoyed stance, “Seriously, you’d think you’d get tired of being rejected.”
“I’m just hoping you get tired of saying no.”Jonathan said. Circee rolled her eyes and began to walk away, But Jonathan made another grade, only this time he had a firm grip on her wrist, rather than his normal gentle one on her fingers. “So just say yes,”
“Circee.” Ezekiel said quickly as he walked up to them. “What’s the hold up? We’re gonna be late for rehearsal.” He said, and then glared at the boy holding her arm.
“Who the heck is this?” Jonathan asked Circee.
“Ezekiel…” Circee said to Jonathan then looked at Ezekiel, as if to say ‘help me!’
“I’m her Boyfriend.” He said to guy. He surprised himself with the statement, but even more so at the fact that the guy immediately let the girl go.
Circee smiled brightly, “So now you know.” She moved next to Ezekiel and intertwined her fingers through his.
“Your brother barely lets you talk to any guy. Now way he’d let you go out with some punk he doesn’t even know.
“Yes well.” Circee smiled, then calmly leaned close enough to brush her lips over Ezekiel’s Jaw line, “He doesn’t have much say in the matter does he?” And with that, she turned and pulled Ezekiel with her towards the Auditorium.
“I-I-I-I… I’m Sorry.” Circee said and covered her face with her free hand. “That was so wrong of me to do that to you…”
“I was glad to help” Ezekiel said and gave her a goofy smile. “Now when the girls start beating down my door though, you have to say you’re my friend and we’re even.”
Circee Smirked, “So, we just met a few weeks ago and we tell everyone we’re together for the sake of staying single?”
“I didn’t really-“
“This is the part where you say, ‘Why Pretend?’ and I giggle like a stupid girl.” Circee said suddenly. Ezekiel looked at her and she smiled at him. “Well?”
And that were the tiny tiny bit of his father’s genes kicked in, when he softly kissed her in the hallway where everyone could see.