Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ A Tale of Two Souls ❯ The Very Start ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

3rd person PoV. Ch. 1. I own ALL characters, except Meave. She is from "Mark of the Succubus." I just needed her to be there to use the quote from a calendar I have. This is my storyline, as far as I know. If it's close to someone else's then we think alike or they stole mine. But, this, my friend, is mine, and I just got the idea. I may have been influenced by other works, but you probably wouldn't be able to tell.
 
~|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|~
 
The Very start
 
"And we must so work that other poor souls parish not." The two girls chanted, and bit into the defenseless middle-aged man's exposed neck. They let the warm, tingling sensation overwhelm them. Some of the blood trickled down the unconscious man's shoulder. The two girls took another five seconds or so, to dislodge themselves from the poor man's neck. They let go, and his head lolled to one side. The four marks on either side of his neck fizzled and almost completely disappeared. There were still four points as if he pricked himself with a pin. The girls knew that those four marks would stay with him for life. Just a simple reminder not to walk down a deserted street on the new moon!
 
The taller, and apparently older, of the two young ladies stepped back and wiped her mouth with her long sleeve. She was wearing a pink mini skirt and knee-high white go-go boots. A long sleeve white shirt, exposing her midriff, and short blonde hair taken back into small pigtails, and you barely noticed her gray bat wings. It was kind of hard to get your eyes off of her... how should I say... large bust. The other girl was a bit more modest. She was wearing black and neon green cargo pants and a black tank top underneath a green fishnet long sleeve shirt. She had platform boots on, too. Not four-inch platforms, but they did make her a bit taller. She was a bit sensitive about her height. She also had on a cape, to cover small white-feathered wings. She too, had her hair in pigtails, but hers were long, flowing, raven-colored waterfalls of hair, with nicely placed red streaks throughout it. It reached down to her shoulder blades, and her side bangs covered her left eye.
 
"I'm getting tired of these weird old guys that work! We need to find some fresher meat..." the older one said to the younger.
 
"But Sorina, the younger ones haven't had enough throughout their life to age their blood. I mean, if we find some kid that's had such a bad life, or even such a good one... That would be great, but it's just easier to find older people with matured blood." the shorter and younger one said to Sorina.
 
"I know, Luneta... But sometimes I like just being able to get that close to a guy my own age. You know how lonely it can be. Like Meave said, 'Love is but a distant dream for a demon.'"
 
Luneta meditated on these words as she tended to the nigh forgotten man in the chair. They had to get out of this alleyway. They couldn't be caught. That would be the worst. Having to do ten times more work than needed. Luneta would just wipe this guy's memories of Sorina and herself ever luring him back here. But if someone else found them, she would have to wipe a couple more minds... Wiping one was draining of her energy, enough! She still wasn't skilled enough to store her energy to an excessive amount. But she would have to gain this ability by self-teaching. Sorina and Luneta weren't sure where the previous generation of guardians was located. There was a good chance that they were dead already. They had heard stories about people who fit the description of vampire/vampress. But the naivety of humans just thought that they were folk tales. Then there were the people who thought they knew things about vampires, and even those who thought that they were vampires, but Sorina and Luneta knew that they were the only living vampresses. Well, in this country anyways. They didn't get the international mystical news.
 
The generation before Sorina and Luneta's was an amazing one. In a bad way, though. They knew for a fact, that they had been caught. Sorina and Luneta weren't sure if they had been able to talk their way out or if they were executed. But that was 200 years ago. Oh, did I mention that Sorina was 219 years of age, and Luneta is 216? One of the perks of being a vampress is living for a MUCH longer time than mortals. But that's the bad part too. They were living life, wishing they were dead, everyday. They didn't live life to the fullest anymore. That was for the first hundred years. At lease they looked young, and not old and wrinkled. That would be the grossest, in Sorina's eyes!
 
Back to the present, though!!
 
Luneta hoisted the man up easily and sat him upright in the back of the alley. They needed to keep him out of sight from other people, but somewhere where he can easily find his way back to wherever he was going in the beginning. From what Luneta and Sorina could tell, it was probably to a "business meeting" or so he told his wife, on whom he was cheating. Most likely having an affair with a local prostitute. Whatever. Sorina could have checked where he was going, by reading his mind, but she actually would rather not know. Yeah, another advantage to being a vampress was having "gifted" powers. Sorina could read minds, Luneta was clairvoyant. Sorina was telekinetic, Luneta had amazing strength. There were also a couple other things that they could do, but nothing worth mentioning at this point.
 
Sorina sighed and looked up at the clock tower to see what time it was. Soon they had to get back. The light of day didn't bother them, like naive humans thought. But they needed some sleep after a full night's hunting. The blood that they drank that night would keep them covered for another week or so, and then they would have to go out again. And they could only hunt after dark. Only an idiot would go out and bite someone in broad daylight.
 
"Can we go home now?" Luneta was becoming irritated. She wanted to go home and sleep for a while. That mind wipe just drained her.
 
"No, we have one more stop, okay?" Sorina just needed to go by the grocery store to pick up some food items for the next morning's breakfast.
 
"Ughh... Are we flying or going by car? Did you bring your jacket to cover your wings?" Sometimes Luneta could worry a bit more than she needed to.
 
"I think we're both worn out. We'll go by car, okay? And yes, I have my jacket in the back of the car. Our wings should ebb away before we get to the store. You know what I just thought about!? We can go to the next convention with our wings bared. People won't even be able to tell!" Sorina was getting excited already. But the next time they went anywhere would be in the far future.
 
"Uggh... Whatever, S, just tell me where the car is parked." Luneta rolled her green eyes and started walking out to the street. It was pretty much deserted at this point, being three in the morning and all.
 
"It's just down the street. It's in front of that one apartment building. You know the brick one." Sorina didn't want to get in a fight with Luneta right now. She'd lose...
 
They walked to the car which was but a few meters away from where the alley was. Sorina unlocked the doors in the blue Yaris. Luneta stepped in on the passenger's side. She didn't like driving all that much. Not unless she had to. And even then, she didn't enjoy it for one second. She didn't like the fact that she had other people's lives in her hands. She didn't want to be responsible for someone getting injured or possible dying. Sure she was a vampress, but she had a sensitive side, too. Sorina liked driving as long as no one was distracting her. If someone or something was distracting her, she would (a) Yell at them, (b) throw them out the window, (c) make out with them. Well, it's true!! She would yell at someone that was distracting her, like Luneta, throw a cell phone out of the car window (that's happened a couple of times), or make out with them. There was this one time; she was giving this one guy a lift, etc, etc, so on and so on. She ended up getting super pissed at the guy, though, and bit him, even though Luneta wasn't there to mind wipe. She just drained enough blood to make sure that he would be unconscious for a long enough time to make him think it was a dream. He woke up the next morning in the hospital, and when he tried telling what happened, everyone laughed and let it pass. Sorina thinks he was sent to a rehab place, because he was also doing drugs at the time. Some people just don't know how to live their lives.
 
By the time Sorina was finished day dreaming, they were almost at the grocery store. She just knew unconsciously where to go, and how to get there. Then she realized that Luneta had laid her head on the passenger's side window and was sound asleep, breathing deep, even breaths. She pulled into the parking lot and got a space near the entrance. Not many people where at a grocery store this early in the morning, going on 4. At least the place was open 24 hours a day. This is where they come to get their food all the time, and some of those times consisted of being here in the middle of the night. She was in the row right in front of the entrance doors, and a few cars back. But it was close enough.
 
She walked past a few abandoned shopping carts, and two cars. A sporty looking red car and a van painted a light cream color. Sorina wasn't the paranoid one, Luneta was, but she still kneeled down a little bit to see under the cars, if there were feet on the other side of them. She breathed a sigh of relief when she saw that it was just her in this empty parking lot... Then she took that sigh back. Alone. In a parking lot. Luneta alone in car. UNLOCKED. Sorina rushed back to see her companion still asleep in the car, of which, she found out, she did lock. Or rather, the auto lock system did. Sorina finally made her way up to the nigh empty store. When she walked in, a young man, about 18, walked out, carrying one bag, and one case of sodas. Sorina didn't want to draw attention right now, but he was really hard to resist. She didn't get a very good look at him, because she pulled her head down, trying not to give him some stupid ideas. But those small moments that she did get to spy upon his features, she was in awe. He had messy blonde/brown hair, and beautiful green glowing eyes. They reminded her of Luneta's, but hers had a sort of brown tint to them. His were just this amazing emerald color. His hair went down to just beyond his eyebrows, but she couldn't see what it looked like from the side or back. His lips were turned down a bit, and his eyes matched this look. They didn't look the friendliest, but definitely the most forbidden. Therefore, the most desirable. Though, just a few days ago, Sorina was talking to Luneta about how men can never be trusted again. But as Sorina walked past this young man, she felt an aura that she never has from any other person. It was different, but familiar in a way. She couldn't put her finger on it, but as she was picking out things for the meal the next day, she thought long and hard about why that boy was so different from others.
 
She checked out at the register and paid the middle-aged cashier woman. The cashier lady seemed very happy for some reason. She mentioned how nice the boy she just serviced was, and how he just brightened up her day. Sorina listened and paid with cash, putting the change in her small purse as she walked out the automatic door, and looked up a moment later.
 
There was Luneta talking, screaming rather, at the Mystery Man in the parking lot, next to the Yaris.
 
And she just shoved him...
 
Oh, shit.