Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ A Trip Worth Taking ❯ Too Much To Deal ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 8. Too Much To Deal
 
The rest of the two weeks was pretty much the same. Renae got a ride from Yuki, starting to feel more and more comfortable on the bike, as she started sitting normally. Straddled and her hands reached back as they clasped onto the seat behind her, only wearing a pair of jeans and changing into that stupid flimsy skirt she had to wear when they got onto the campus.
 
Though sometimes he took her to the day care where he worked. And she loved the children as much as they did her. The day care lady was starting to enjoy having her around as well. `You've got a nice girl on your hands. Hold on to her.' She would say to Yuki a lot.
 
She still didn't understand how girls could wear it in the dead center of winter. Her legs were totally numb, even through the thickness of her jeans.
 
Homework was getting just a little hard, but with Yuki as her tutor, she managed. And since that day with Samantha and her gang, he had been fight free, even his scars were starting to heal properly.
 
Kyoko hadn't seen her little brother so happy.
 
Yuki and Renae had just gotten home. As they got off the bike and head over to the garage, Kyoko looked at them through the window… she knew the reason he was so happy. It was because of her.
 
`Whether you like it or not, little brother. You're falling in love with an American.' She thought with a smile as she set the thin curtain back down.
 
“Those two had been getting close, do you not agree?” Mama Himeno came up behind her eldest daughter, cleaning up a dish she had in her hand.
 
Kyoko smiled at her mother, “I just hope she's the right one for him. I'd hate it if he got hurt again.” She said as she looked back down at the hopingly new couple. Smiling and laughing.
 
“I do not believe she will be the one to do that.” Her mother said as she stood next to her daughter and looked down at her son and take in daughter. Both smiling and rather close.
 
They came up the stairs and walked inside.
 
“Oi mama. Tadaima.” He called.
 
“That's a new word, what does it mean?” Renae asked him, slipping off her shoes and putting on her slippers at the door.
 
He explained, “Tadaima means `I'm home'.” He said
 
She nodded her head, “Tadaima.” She called out. Trying the foreign language for herself. It was different on her tongue, but the feeling of the language was remarkable.
 
“Hajimemashite.” His mother said as she walked into the door way and smiled at them.
 
Renae looked to Yuki for the next new word, “She said `how are you?” He whispered.
 
“How do you say great?” She asked him.
 
“Eraidesune.”

“Umm… ya, what he said.” She couldn't pronounce the word just yet, but she will soon enough.
 
He laughed at her, and walked over to his mother and kissed her on the cheek. Renae did the same and followed Yuki up to `her' room.
 
“So how do you like your first month here?” He asked her as he sat on her bed. The lavender coverlet was perfectly spread, just as she had set it this morning.
 
“Well, it's a lot more complicated than home.” She said. “I'm used to fighting and giving orders. Here, I have to speak only when I'm spoken to.” She said as she took a spot next to him.
 
He laughed, “You'll get used to it.” He said as he stood up, “Dinner will be ready shortly. Unpack and come down to clean up.” He said as he took his leave.
 
Renae rolled her eyes, changing her clothes first, from the insubstantial sarong she was starting to get used to, to her favorite Capri's and a blue shirt that followed her curves. She set her bag down on her desk, stopping a minute to look at her pictures, just as she had done every day… to remind herself who she was. She smiled at the pictures of her friends and family. She had stayed in touch just as promised, but being 14 hours ahead… it was kind of hard. But she managed.
 
Strange how Kali and Amanda sounded so eager to tell her something, but hadn't.
 
~Flashback~
 
Her phone went off at 11 at night. Renae was studying for her math exam in a few days. She picked up her phone, but didn't bother to look at the caller ID this time, “Moshi moshi?” She spoke in her new language.
 
“What?”

She recognized that voice, “Kali, hi. Sorry, he he. What's up?” She asked.
 
Silence. Renae checked her phone, to see if Kali was still connected. She was, “Kali? Is every thing ok?”
“Umm… yeah, everything is just peachy.” She said, “Just a lot going on.”

“Is the school still standing?” Renae asked sarcastically.
 
“Yeah, with Hana's help, things have been running smoothly. But every one misses you like hell over here.” She said, “Funny how you didn't announce Rachel's temporary take over.”

Now Renae was silent, “I'll be home soon. How is she taking everything?”

“Umm.” Kali seemed eager to tell her something, but she didn't push her. “She'd doing fine. Well, its probably late over there, so I'm gonna let you go now. Love ya girl, and ttly.”

“Tah, pass my love to Amanda and them.”

“Consider it done.” And with that, followed a click.
 
`That was weird, she seemed like she wanted to say something. I hope everything is ok.' She thought.
 
~End Flashback~

Renae was walking down the steps when she heard her phone go off back in her room. One of the rules here was that there were no phones at the dinner table. She could take this quickly. She stepped quickly up to her room and answered it, “Hi mom.” She said with a cheerful voice.
Though it didn't last long. Her looked depressed a bit, “Mom… mom… slow down a bit. Breath. That's it… now tell me what's wrong.”

Her eyes shifted back and forth, and then grew wide as she listened to what her mother was telling her.
 
She sunk to the floor, holding back the tears as she shook her head, and bringing up her hand to her mouth.
 
“Ok... Yes… I understand… No… I'll be fine… don't worry about me… Ok… ok, I'll talk to you later… tell everyone I'm sorry I can't be there when you need me to be… Ok... I love you too mom. Bye.” She hung up her phone, but made no movement. Tears fell gently onto her knees.
 
“Renae, dinner” Mama Himeno called up to her. Renae wiped the tears away and straightened her self up a bit.
 
“Coming.” She said as she walked down the stairs.

~~

Dinner was normally talkative, one that even Renae put her self in, but tonight was different. She was completely silent. Yuki and them were starting to worry about her tonight.
 
The food on her plate was barely touched, and every time she was asked a question, she tried to keep it in a single word answer.

“Renae, darling. Are you feeling well?” Mama Himeno asked her.
 
“May I be excused?” She didn't even wait for an answer. She piled up her still full plate and set it on the counter, where she will probably eat it later. And then, she went upstairs… without a word more to any one.
 
“Yuki, go see what's wrong with her, will you? She seems to listen to you these past few weeks.” She said to her eldest son.
 
“Hai.” He said, as he pushed back his seat and followed Renae's steps up the stairs.
 
He came to her door, hearing soft cries and sniffles.
 
“Renae?”

“Yeah, what is it?” She said rather lower than she would normally say… well, anything.

“You ok? Can I come in?”

“Yeah.” Was her only answer. He didn't know which question she was answering to, but he took it as both.
 
He opened her door, and saw her sitting on the floor, her arms wrapped around her knees, “What's wrong.”

She stood up and walked over to the bathroom that was conjoined with her room, “Nothing.” Was her only reply.
 
“Renae, you're crying. I ain't stupid. Now tell me why.” He said to her, a little harsh like.

“It's nothing important.”

“Obviously it is if you're like this.” He jerked his hand at her.
 
“Damn it, I said its no…” He silenced her. Yuki had pulled her into a bone crushing embrace. His arms around her, pinning her own arms to her side. Her eyes were wide, not prepared for the contact he had graciously given her.
 
“Yu… Yuki?” She muttered.
 
“Tell me what's wrong. You had done so much for me, now it's my turn to do something for you.” He whispered in her ear.
 
Tears fell out now. No boy had ever held her like this… with such care and emotion. She trusted him, `I think I'm falling for him.' She said to her self. Hoping that he didn't read her mind, she pushed her face into the crook of his neck, and cried.

Yuki let her cry too. He rocked her back and forth, stroking her hair soothingly, until she calmed down a bit, “What is it that made you cry?” He asked her again.
 
She sniffled, and moved her head, so that it lay against his chest. He tucked her head under his chin, letting her know that he was there for her, just like she was there for him when he was in the nurse's office just a few weeks or so prior.
 
“I got a call from my mother.” She said between heaves of air. “My grand mother was in the hospital for a few moths now.”

He nodded on top of her head; she breathed again, “A while back, she was diagnosed with cancer, and only gave her a few months to live.” Yuki knew where this was going, but all he could do was hold her tighter.
 
“My mom had called. She said that she just got off the phone with the doctor… and... He said… that my grandmother… had past away in her sleep.” The last sentence that past her lips was practically in a whisper. Though Yuki had still heard what she had said.
 
“I'm so sorry.” He said, “I know what its like to lose a loved one.” He tried to help her, tried to sooth her. So far, nothing much was working. The tears were falling again, the sniffles were back. Renae had tried to be strong, but… she is, after all human… and as such, even she can't hold up that defense around her heart for ever. Her human emotions wouldn't allow it. No matter how demon like she may act sometimes.
 
Yuki pulled back to see her face. Upset and red in the face, he had never seen a girl act like this because of her grandmother's death.
 
She sniffled and hiccupped, but her eyes stayed planted on his chest, as did her hands. Yuki took one hand and wiped the tears away from her now emerald eyes.
 
“You shouldn't cry. This happens all the time. No one can live for ever.” He said to her.
 
Renae looked up at his violet eyes, so many emotions swirled in both of their gazes. Poor Renae didn't know what to do. She watched as he leaned down slowly… and kissed her on the lips gently.
 
She gasped in her mind, not expecting him to do that. He pulled back a bit. Noses touched, breaths ragged and uneven, and he just looked at her. Her eyes were still red, but the brown in them had started to return, turning them into a nice even shades. Renae looked into his eyes, his very soul. He trusted her, maybe even loved her. Well, what ever it was, she didn't want to lose the contact he had forged between them. So she returned his kiss. Pressing her full soft lips to his thin was. He was amazed how nicely they fit together.
 
Yuki added even more pressure and kept his hands where they were around her waist, but didn't take it very far. Neither was ready. He just wanted to help her stop crying. And he thought this was the best way.
 
She pulled back from him and he rested his forehead against hers. Yuki reached over and turned off the light on the wall, and picked up Renae bridal style. And set her on the bed, removing her socks and pulling down the blanket, “You need rest.” He whispered to her. He stood up to leave, but something stopped him… her hand on his wrist.
 
Renae looked up at him, as if a silent plead for him to stay.
 
He smiled as he watched her move over and conveys a corner of her blanket. Yuki climbed into the bed, and wrapped his arm around her slender waist, “Please don't cry any more. I can't stand to see you like this. It makes me feel... well, I can't explain the feeling right now.” He whispered, causing her to smile. She was soon forgetting her grandmother's death, as she snuggled up into his safe and warm embrace.
 
Her scent was of vanilla milk, that sweet gentle scent. Also his favorite. Morning would find them like this as well, Renae had practically cried her self to sleep and Yuki was there to comfort her… and more. Who knows, things may take off nicely from here.