Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Ai no Natsu ❯ Vol. 3, Chap. 17: Store Walk ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Store Walk
Hallie has two guys that like her. A cowboy and a pool boy. Both like the tomboy back. See where the problem is going?
On their break from fixing up the apartment, Hal found Hallie in the dining room. He tapped her on the shoulder. She looked to see him smiling at her.
“Hey,” he said with a wave. Hallie blinked as she waved back.
“Hi,” she said. The pool boy took a seat next to her. Hallie looked away as her cheeks turned cotton candy pink. She had to look tough.
I can’t go all mush like this!, Hallie thought. I have to stay though. Come on! Get it together! Hal gave his charming smile.
“I need to make a run to the store,” he said. “Want to come with me?” Hallie turned to him.
“Why?” she asked. The pool boy shrugged at her.
“Just cause,” he said.
“Cause what?”
“I felt like inviting you along.”
Hallie blinked at him. “Okay…”
“So,” he said. “What do you say?” Hallie looked deep into his eyes.
“You won’t try anything, will you?” she asked.
“No,” he said. The tomboy didn’t reply at first. She held her breath for a long moment. The girl finally nodded.
“Why not?” she asked. “I’ve got nothing to do anyway.” Hal smiled at him.
“Sweet,” he said. Meanwhile, Dustin heard them from the hallway. He frowned at the conversation.
“So, where are we headed?” Hallie asked.
“The convenient store and then the pet store,” Hal replied. The tomboy looked at him funny.
“Huh?” she asked. He smiled at her question.
“For decoration,” he replied.
“Decoration for what?” Hallie asked.
“Fish tank in the lobby.”
“Why?”
“You tell me. She’s your aunt.”
Hallie shook her head as they turned the curve. “Nope.”
Hal raised an eyebrow at her. “No?”
“We… aren’t that close.” Hallie saw the intrigue on his face. She rolled her eyes upwards. Usually, she doesn’t talk to anyone about this sort of thing. So, why does she want to let it out so much?
“She’s too girly for me,” Hallie explained. “She likes chick flicks, makeovers, and crap. I like sports.”
“Is that a bad thing?” Hal asked.
“Is what a bad thing?”
“Being girly.”
Hallie shrugged. “I don’t know. It’s just not me, man.” They crossed the street.
“I like a girl wants knows what she likes and is proud of her tastes,” Hal admitted. Hallie turned to him with new interest in her eyes.
“You don’t say,” she said, smiling.
“Much more natural that way,” he said. “Look, here we are.”
“Huh?” Hallie asked as she turned around. A blank look came over her face.
“Chisai Hoshi?” she asked. Hal nodded.
“That’s right,” he said. “Only pet shop in the city that sells tropical fish at a decent price.” Hallie nodded with unease.
“Right…” she mumbled. Hal took her by the hand and led her inside.
Dustin watch from across the street. He felt his blood burning.
Bastard!, he screamed in his head. I won’t let you have her! I won’t let you have her! The jealous fire rage out of control in his head. From there, he decided to steal her back from the tone-muscled pool boy. He wouldn’t go down without a fight. Not just yet anyway.
Coming to Town with the Briefcase Blues