Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Ai no Natsu ❯ Vol. 9, Chap. 50: Reality Ensues ( Chapter 50 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Reality Ensues

Everyone is moving on. What Hallie didn't know was everyone has plans for their future. A knock came on her door.

“Yeah?” she asked.

“Are you okay?” Hal asked. The tomboy froze in her bed.

“Yeah,” she said.

“May I come in?”

“Sure, give me a second.” Hallie leapt out of bed and cleaned up her room. She opened the door, smiling.

“What can I do you for?” Hallie asked.

“I just heard you yelling from down the hall.”

“Oh. I was on the phone with my dad. Sorry if I was too loud.”

“Nah, it's cool. You sounded so upset.”

“It was just an argument with my dad.” Hallie tried to laugh it off.

“Okay…”

“He was nagging me on what I should do for my future.”

“What are you going to do when summer ends?”

“Excuse me?”

The pool boy waved his hand back and forth. “Nothing, I was just curious.” That question never sank until now.

“Oh,” Hallie said. “What are you going after summer's over?”

“I'm going to Kobe University,” Hal said. Hallie's eyes grew the size of saucers.

“Are you serious?”

“Yep, I even taking the entrance exam next week.”

“I see. Why there?”

“I just like the school.” Hal wasn't the only one with plans for the future.

---------

The other residents of Fuji Apartments talked about their plans after leaving. Jack was going to back to Osaka to work in his dad's garage. Reggie and Heather were going to different high schools. Sadao was going back to his priest training in Kyoto. The others were either going to college or joining the work force. The question really sank in by lunchtime.

“What will you do when summer's over?” Heather asked. Hallie had no choice but to admit it.

“I don't know,” she said at last. For the first time, her dad's words finally sank in. Damn, he's not joking, Hallie thought.

“You need to do something with your life,” Dustin told her in the Chill Lounge.

“Ha, that's easy for you to say,” she said, flopping back on the couch. “You're studying up in Hokkaido!” She frowned, cutting her eyes at him. “I mean, why there? It's too cold in freakin' Sapporo!”

Dustin shrugged. “The school's really good up there. Plus, I'm tired of hot weather. I'm ready for a change, you know?”

“Can you even handle the snow and cold weather?”

“I can manage.”

Hallie dropped back her head, groaning. “What am I going to do? That old bastard's going to put me out on the streets if I don't act!”

Dustin patted her on the shoulder. “Oh, don't worry, baby! You'll figure something out.” Hallie's eyes trailed over to the cowboy as she groaned again.

“You're not helping, dude,” she said.

“Hallie?”

“Please… shut up.”

“Okay.”

Her eyes trailed up to the ceiling. I am so screwed!

Got a Couple of Couches