Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Angel's Gift ❯ Chapter 13

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Down One

Angel's Gift

Interlude: Angels and Empire

Sharin quietly made her way outside to the patio, breathing deep of the cool air, leaning up against the railing and gazing out at the twinkling stars. The blonde searched for her home sun for a little while but finally had to give up with a soft sigh, that point of light just too far away to see, even with her eyes.

"You miss it, don't you?" the quiet voice asked her softly.

Somehow, she wasn't too surprised to see Milly emerge from the shadows, the pretty redhead dressed in her maid's uniform. "How do you do keep doing that?" Sharin asked her crossly as the girl settled in to stand beside her.

Milly flicked her tail, "I am part cat, you know."

"True," Sharin admitted.

"I know I miss it," Milly said softly, "I miss the Queen's court. I miss the plots, the intrigue," her fangs showed as she grinned suddenly, "why, I even miss protecting Mistress Jenna from all the suitors after her money and power."

A surprised Sharin looked over at her curiously to ask, "But why you aren't bothered by her and Allison being together?"

"No, I'm not bothered," Milly agreed. "Allison hasn't got a clue that Jenna will someday be the queen of all of this," she gestured to the stars above them. More quietly she added, "The feelings that Allison and her share are real."

"You've got a point," Sharin admitted. She returned her gaze to the stars, "But you should remember that Jenna only inherits if the Queen doesn't disown her."

"True," Milly's tail began to lash back and forth, "What was her majesty's mood like, when you left after Jenna?"

"She certainly wasn't very happy," Sharin quietly admitted to Milly as she sent her thoughts back to a few weeks ago...

Sharin paused for a moment at the great doors themselves, letting the guard who was standing there recognize her formally. All of the proper traditions had to be observed, even when one had been called forth by the Queen herself. The doors opened up grandly and with a gulp Sharin entered into the throne chamber itself.

It was said that the monarch could see over all he or she ruled through the great viewscreens on all sides of this massive chamber, but for today the view was obscured. Countless courtiers and minor nobles scurried around the throne, all trying to get the attention of the woman now sitting on that uncomfortable throne.

Taking pity on her Sharin loudly announced, "The Questor Sharin is here on business most urgent with the Queen!"

A few nobles squawked out in protest, and Sharin smiled a cold, dangerous little smile. The smarter ones who knew her, either directly or by reputation, fled immediately and the rest ran when Sharin ignited her energy blade and charged the mob. With much bleating and cries of fear the nobles fled, leaving the Queen and her alone.

"A trifle overdone," the Queen noted with a little smile, "but very effective."

"Thank you," Sharin let the blade dissipate as she smiled grimly, "but considering my mood it was a real relief to cut loose." She took a nervous breath, "I'm sorry to report that I was to meet your daughter today, but she never turned up."

The dark haired woman on the throne eyes' darkened as she softly murmured, "I know." She met Sharin's gaze steadily as she continued on gravely, "It seems that my daughter Jenna has chosen to take her personal servant and flee."

"What?" Sharin blurted.

"Indeed," the Queen nodded grimly.

"But why?" Sharin looked clearly confused. While she wasn't Jenna's best friend, she knew her fairly well, and had seen no signs that she was that unhappy.

"I knew she was displeased with the latest marriage meetings," the Queen sighed, "they were not what she might have hoped for."

Sharin winced. That was something of an understatement. She had seen the portly, older man, and the spindly, gray haired man whom the last marriage meetings had been with and felt relieved that her guardian hadn't sent them after her.

Banishing those thoughts Sharin asked, "How can I be of assistance, my Queen?"

"Do you know where she would run to?" the Queen asked Sharin intently. Much more softly she added, "If Jenna does not return here to seal the agreements with a marriage, the consequences for us could be.. most dire."

Sharin thought for a moment, "I think she'd run to the very rim of our colonized worlds, and maybe beyond that."

"Like some old holo-novel," the Queen murmured.

"Maybe," Sharin agreed, "but that's how Jenna thinks, my Queen."

The Queen settled back in her seat and said, "If you feel so certain, would you take up this Quest for me, Sharin?"

Sharin didn't hesitate, "Of course."

"Then do and bring her home for me," the Queen ordered. As Sharin walked towards the doors the Queen added, "Do so, and the rewards will be great. But if you fail me," she paused, "I would not recommend returning at all."

Sharin stepped through the doors, "I understand,"

Milly was gazing up at Sharin in shock as she finished recounting her encounter with the Queen. "What?" Sharin finally had to ask.

"Was she truly so cold?" Milly finally asked, clearly hoping that it wasn't so.

Part of Sharin wanted to soften it, and she didn't quite understand why. As gently as she could manage she said, "I've never gotten a sense of the typical feelings between a mother and daughter with the Queen and Jenna."

Milly nodded grimly, "Please, don't tell Jenna what you just told me."

"I won't," Sharin promised. She moved to go inside, then paused, "You asked me if I missed it, being back home?"

"Yes?" Milly looked over at her curiously.

"No, I don't," Sharin said quite seriously. "Back home, I'd be waiting to be married off, too. Here, I'm free, more so than I've ever been," she smiled. A short pause, "And I'd have never gotten to know you better back home."

Milly looked a bit startled, "Thank you."

"You're welcome," Sharin shrugged.

To be continued...