Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Angel's Gift ❯ Chapter 17

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Angel's Gift Part Sixteen

Interlude: Angels and Empire Two

The Queen sighed to herself softly, wishing that things could be different as she gazed out of the viewport of her private chambers. Row upon row of starships floated out there in the void of space, a fleet of warships that were ready to move out. 'But there seems to be no other way remaining to us,' she thought to herself sadly.

"My Queen," X'tahn spoke up, her personal catgirl servant's voice soft in the privacy of their rooms, "are you sure about this?" The massive chamber was opulantly decorated, befitting a Queen and empress, but neither woman seemed to notice.

"No, no I'm not," the Queen admitted.

The Queen smiled slightly she looked towards her closest personal confidant. The two of them had met nearly fifteen years ago, X'tahn shy and demure at being introduced to the raven haired young Queen. Her white fur was striking, the dark points on her ears and bold stripes on her tail charmingly cute with the pale pink of her skin.

"I just don't see any alternative," the Queen said as she turned back to gaze out at the ships.

"Surely Sharin or one of the bounty hunters will report in soon, Jen'ai" X'tahn's ears perked up a bit as she tried to look hopeful.

Queen Jen'ai smiled sadly, turning to walk over to the catgirl's side as she said with a sigh, "No, I don't think so. Even a pair of Galactic Patrol officers have gone missing, right after they reported that they had spotted traces of Jenna's passage."

"And so it's war," X'tahn sighed.

"They demanded a marriage bond with our Empire to head off the war," Jen'ai said to her bleakly, "and with Jenna gone there is no one of high enough breeding to serve that purpose." She shook her head as she added, "Though considering the marriage candidates they sent us, I wonder if they really wanted this war to happen."

X'tahn had to nod her agreement with that. "They were.. rather lacking, weren't they?" she offered with a grim smile.

"Oh, yes," Jen'ai nodded. She made a face, "In all honesty I cannot even blame her for fleeing, faced with marrying them."

"It wasn't your fault, m'love," X'tahn reminded her firmly, "you even told them where the Princess' tastes lay."

"And they sent us fat old men rather than slim women," Jen'ai sighed. She looked over at the catgirl with a smile, stroking her cheek tenderly, "And you may call me that in private, love, but please don't repeat it in public."

"Sometimes I wish.." X'tahn purred softly under that touch, tipping her head to the side to savor the gentle scratching.

"Me, too," Jen'ai agreed, "but I dare not risk breaking our ancient customs. I dare not consider the reactions if it became known that the Queen was in love with her serving girl."

"It's bad enough that the rumors are spreading about Jenna," X'tahn smiled weakly. At Jen'ai's curious glance she continued, "It seems that Jenna has eloped with Sharin, according to the stories. Or Milly. Or maybe both.."

"I almost wish it was Sharin or Milly," Jen'ai murmured to her softly, "at least it would mean that she hadn't.. run.. away.." Her eyes glistened with tears as she fought to control her emotions, but finally she broke down in tears.

"Shh, shhh," X'tahn gently wrapped her arms around her, rubbing between her shoulders as she let the taller woman cry herself out.

"Thank you," Jen'ai finally slid free from her, giving the pale figure a weak smile, "I'm sorry for being so weak."

"You are far stronger than I am," the catgirl said simply, brushing her long white hair back, "bearing up under the strain as you have." X'tahn paused before asking, "But if there is to be a war, what do we do about Jenna?"

Jen'ai walked them towards the window, gesturing towards one of the ships, "The heavy cruiser Liberty's Sword."

"It's.. damaged," X'tahn finally murmured, taking in the blistered, badly damaged section of hull along one side of the vessel.

"They were in a initial skirmish, and their primary weapons were taken off-line. I intend to staff it with an engineering team and skeleton crew, and send it to that border world while they complete the repairs," Jen'ai said softly.

"And once they're there, they will take Jenna into custody?" X'tahn asked, trying to see where her lover was going.

"No," Jen'ai said with a firm shake of her head, "instead, I intend to put that vessel in Jenna's service, to do as she wills."

"What?" X'tahn blurted.

Jen'ai sighed softly, "I know my daughter is a most willful and contrary creature in some ways, but she is a loyal one. If I send her a means of coming home, without ties attached, I suspect that she'll come back."

"You could be right," X'tahn nodded thoughtfully.

"And if she has found someone that suits her out on that world," Jen'ai said quietly, "I will welcome them to the court with honor."

X'tahn looked at her mistress in surprise as she said softly, "It would break with every tradition, you know that."

"I'm not sure if I care," the Queen said frankly. Jen'ai smiled grimly as she added, "This war.. there is no guarantee that we'll win, m'love. Our ships are superior in technology, but the Star Empire outnumbers us substantially."

"Which means the disapproval of the noble class matters little," X'tahn nodded.

"Exactly," Jen'ai agreed. She smiled a very dangerous smile, "I am going to win our people this war, m'love. And if they care to disapprove, damn them."

"Fierce," X'tahn moved closer, sighing softly as they stood there together.

"What do I have scheduled?" Jen'ai finally asked mildly.

"Your morning is relatively clear," X'tahn murmured softly, shivering a bit at the tone of the other woman's voice.

"Good," Jen'ai said with a slight smile as they walked together towards the bed.

"M'love," X'tahn sighed softly as they reached the bedside. They were about to kiss when...

A loud buzzer rang through the chamber, nearly demanding that it be answered.

.... "damn," the Queen muttered before speaking up, "Yes?"

"My Queen," the Admiral's voice was grave as he reported simply, "the Star Empire's ships are on the move."

"Mobilize our forces, then," the Queen commanded, stepping away from where X'tahn stood, "it's time to act, at last."

"It will be done," and he disconnected.

Outside the viewport the great ships began to move, shifting apart as they prepared for transit into slip-space. One by one they disappeared, moving into the other-realm that connected all places in the universe, until all the vessels were gone.

"I need to go to the command center," the Queen sighed, wishing with all her heart that she could just stay in here.

"I know," X'tahn kissed her gently, her smile gentle, "do what you must. I will be here, when you need me, you know that."

"Thank you," Jen'ai sighed, then she straightened. A deep breath and she strode out of the room, seeming every inch a Queen and ruler.

Note: In the first 'Angels and Empire' segment the Queen was quite the b*tch. I thought it might be interesting to explain why, exactly, as well as to reveal more about what was going on back at Jenna's homeworld. The name Jen'ai can be pronounced as 'Jenny' while X'tahn is simply said as 'Tan.'