Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Angel's Gift ❯ Chapter 28

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Angel's Gift Part Twenty-seven
 
A few days later the older man smiled tiredly, sitting there in the station commander's office surrounded by all the status files and damage reports. "I don't know how we can thank you," Hawke said honestly.
 
Allison Tennison shrugged, looking up at the image on her bridge viewscreen. "We were glad to help," she answered honestly, her short brown hair tucked beneath her uniform cap. "But I will pass on your thanks to the engineering crew," she added.
 
Princess Jenna smiled from where she sat nearby, the black haired beauty looking over at her lover in pleasure. 'And she's learning diplomacy, too,' she mused silently, 'I think the captain's role has been good for her.'
 
"I'd appreciate that," Hawke agreed. He flipped through some of his files, "I'm sorry to say there aren't many crew I can transfer over, but we do have several midshipmen who were stranded here by the start of hostilities."
 
"Midshipmen," Allison echoed, wondering if the word meant the same thing in English, "officers who have completed their training but haven't served yet?"
 
"Precisely," Hawke agreed. He checked his paperwork, "They were meant to have been picked up a few weeks ago, but their assigned ship never appeared."
 
Commander Laurel D'ken smiled wryly as the blue haired officer said to Allison, "We'll need to nursemaid them a bit but I think they'd be able to manage well enough."
 
"Then I think we'll take them," Allison agreed. The young captain looked at Hawke, "We'll slip-transit them over when you're ready."
 
"We'll signal you, ma'am, and send over their dossiers," Hawke agreed then signed off.
 
"I wonder how long it'll take before I get used to having someone older than I call me ma'am?" Allison mused aloud.
 
"You'll adapt," Jenna chuckled.
 
"So, when will you be having your first captain's dinner?" Laurel changed the subject.
 
Allison looked sheepish, "Now that someone's finally told me about it,. I was thinking of tonight. Sort of a get to know you better meal for the command crew..."
 
"You've settled in to being captain so well, I forget you don't know the customs," Laurel said a bit apologetically.
 
"I'm sorry I didn't remind her," Jenna added.
 
"Jenna and I will be there," Allison said quietly as the bridge bustled around them, "and you, Lucas Anais and Sam C'tarn. I'm just not sure what to do with the other three places at the table."
 
Laurel gave Allison a thoughtful look. "You don't have to have all the seats filled," she said mildly, "but I could make a few suggestions."
 
"Which we were hoping for," Jenna smiled.
 
"I'd recommend your friend Sharin as she'll be working with the command staff and our new gunnery officer Amara," Laurel said evenly, "and an ensign or middy of your choice."
 
"Sounds good," Allison smiled, "I was thinking about inviting one of my friends but I was worried the crew might think I was favoring them."
 
"Allison," Jenna chided, "they'd never think that."
 
"Actually they might," Laurel answered, "if you hadn't been bending over backward to be fair the past few weeks. If anyone had any doubts they were erased when you dressed down Kat in front of the crew for sleeping on the job."
 
Allison really didn't know what to say, so she kept silent.
 
There was a soft beep from Laurel's console and she smiled slightly, "I just received the Midshipmans'' files, I'll review them before we transport them aboard."
 
"Thank you," Allison nodded as Laurel got up and left the bridge.
 
Sitting at the tactical station Amara exchanged a questioning glance, but otherwise the black haired woman kept her mouth shut. Sharin shrugged, the blonde navigator turning back to look at the sentinel station that hung out in space beside them.
 
Most of the crew had already heard about the 'Kat incident,' as it was being called. Kat had fallen asleep on duty down in sickbay, not during an emergency, thankfully, but still it was dangerous... Allison had actually confined her to quarters for a week, in addition to her still having to perform all of her medical duties. Since then she had taken her job much more seriously, and the crew had treated Allison with a deeper respect.
 
Ensign Kayla Shen spoke up, disturbing the silence as she reported, "The sentinel station is hailing us again."
 
"Put them on," Allison answered crisply.
 
It wasn't Commander Hawke this time, but his second in command David. He briskly said, "The midshipmen are in our transfer bay, waiting to come over."
 
"We'll transport them over," Allison said simply, "and thank you."
 
"Of course," David said coldly then signed off.
 
"Warm guy," Amara murmured.
 
"I was in the academy with him," Kayla commented, surprising them as the officer was usually very quiet, "he was like that then, too."
 
Allison activated a control on her chair and contacted the transit room. "The midshipmen from the station are ready to transport over," she said to the officer on duty, "once they're here escort them to the Commander."
 
Lieutenant Alex Keron replied, "Will do, ma'am."
 
Within the transit chamber a faint purple glow danced along the walls, gradually growing brighter. On command the light concentrated in the center of the room as a group of four young men and women took shape within the chamber. All wore the standard uniform of the fleet, and looked around them with bright, interested eyes.
 
"My name is Lieutenant Alex Keron, I'd like to welcome you all aboard the Liberty's Sword," Alex said to them warmly.
 
All of them stiffened and saluted, probably a bit surprised to be greeted by a lieutenant. A young woman who's uniform insignia showed she was a top graduate stepped forward, her stance pure military. "Thank you sir, we're glad to be here," she said, "I'm Rachel A'Tor."
 
Col' Tyrr, Cybele Merr and Valentee Fai all introduced themselves before the group left the bay, heading towards the lifts. Col' Tyrr's green hair fell down his back in a ponytail, the muscular young man frowning slightly as he noted the few people in the halls. "Excuse me for asking," he hesitated, "but is this vessel under strength?"
 
"Yes," Alex answered frankly, "this ship was under repair when we were relaunched."
 
"Intriguing," Cybele murmured to herself, the young woman striking with her blonde hair, dusky skin and red eyes.
 
"What was so urgent that you had to launch under strength?" Valentee asked, her green hair swept back from her face.
 
"Save the questions for later," Rachel looked over her fellows sternly. She looked a bit apologetically to Alex, "Sorry, sir."
 
"It's understandable," Alex agreed as they entered the lift and rose smoothly through the vessel. He smiled at them as he continued, "Now I have a question for you, how long were all of you stuck on the station?"
 
"Forever," Col' groaned.
 
"A few weeks," Cybele corrected, a slight smile on her face. Quietly she conceded, "It certainly began to feel like forever."
 
"Hopefully this will be more exciting," Valentee said impishly.
 
"I think we can pretty much promise that," Alex agreed with a odd little smile.
 
'Interesting, very interesting,' Rachel thought.
 
They exited onto one of the upper levels of the vessel, not far from the bridge itself. With a fast stride Alex lead them down the hall, reaching a door labeled the Commander's office. He pressed the door signal and announced, "The Midshipmen are here, ma'am."
 
"Send them in," Laurel answered crisply. She looked up as they entered, eyes studying each of them intently. She smiled slightly as they lined up nervously beside her desk, waiting for her to speak. "Welcome aboard," she said gravely, "we intend to work you to the bone, I'm sorry to say."
 
'Just like my own middy cruise,' Alex thought to himself with amusement, 'I guess some things never change.'
 
To be continued....