Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Bad Guy ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The two Ministry officials took John back to the Male homeworld aboard their ship. The ship's small size hardly allowed for luxuries, and the officials' attitude make it clear they considered him guilty until proven guilty. Then again, that could've just been an excuse for them to take their frustrations out on someone. The trip took longer than expected, largely to avoid Female ships that somehow made it past the front lines.

Finally, they reached the homeworld; specifically, they were at the capital, where the Ministry of Freedom resided. This Ministry's main goal was "to ensure the continued freedom of those living under the Male Empire". This included - but was not limited to - monitoring the media, preventing attempts to "destabilize" the Empire, and handling suspected Bad Guys.

The last function is what brought John to their ever-so-slightly pretentious headquarters. He knew enough about Bad Guy trials to realize that, even if acquitted, he would never receive an apology. Still, he had to focus on his present situation if he was to have any chance of getting out of this. He spent the next day or so in a holding cell while they found a Public Advocate for him.

Once his Advocate showed up, he was ready to get to business. John had a feeling, though, that the other man's heart wasn't in it.

"I'll just be blunt," said the Advocate. "In my years as an Advocate, I've never seen a Bad Guy labelling overturned. I'll defend you the best I can, but you'd best prepare yourself for the worst while you have the chance."

It was nearly a minute before John could respond. "I suppose I should thank you for your honesty," he said, "but I've never quit during a battle, and I'm not about to do it now."

"Fair enough. Now, about the trial itself. A trial to contest a Bad Guy designation works somewhat differently than a normal legal proceeding. First of all, there will be no trial by jury. Your case will be heard by the Ministry of Freedom." The Advocate looked through his booklet. "This also means that your usual priveleges as an Imperial Forces officer will not apply here. As you may have guessed by now, the prosecution does not have a burden of proof when presenting its case. They may not need to present a case at all."

The Advocate went on, but what John got from all of it was that the trial was just there to validate the Ministry's decision. He could feel the walls closing in.

This feeling didn't go away what he was led into the Ministry hearing room. Two spotlights were shining on him, and there were cameras pointing at him, no doubt broadcasting the trial to the masses. John could hear commentators already proclaiming his guilt, and wishing for "harsh justice" to fall upon him. By this point he'd been stripped of his uniform, and was now wearing the outfit given to all prisoners.

"John Roberts," said the Ministry judge, "you are hereby called to this courtroom to contest your designation as a Bad Guy. Do you understand the rules of these proceedings?"

"I understand," John said, making a special effort to sound calm and confident. If he sounded like he had no reason to feel guilty, he could possibly convince the Ministry of his loyalty, and of his love of the Empire.

The hearing went on for about three hours, including the "halftime show" which by law all Imperial trials had to have. While awaiting the judge's decision, John conferred with his Advocate.

"So," said John, "how did I do?"

"Passable," said the Advocate, "but I can tell you right now you're not cut out for the legal profession. I'm just glad you let me do most of the talking."

John was about to respond when the two men were summoned back into the hearing room.

"It is this hearing's conclusion," said the judge, "that you, John Roberts, are a Bad Guy. As of this day, you will be discharged from the Imperial Forces and deleted from its official records. You are no longer a citizen of the Male Empire. Two days from now, you will be transferred to the Ministry of Bad Guy Supervision, where you are to begin your new life. This hearing is adjourned."

John Roberts, citizen and Imperial officer, effectively died that day.