Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Blood Sister-Revised ❯ Ruling Force ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Scroll III-Ruling Force
 
Three weeks hard flight finally found them on a hill overlooking the palace in the capital of Arania. It was as magnificent as he remembered and old memories made his homecoming a bittersweet moment. As it was, he stood alone on the hill that overlooked the vast expanse of the capital, surveying the people as they moved about their routines.
It didn't escape his notice that many carried a haggard look and eyed each other with mistrust even as they conducted business like any other day. He realized, with a sour taste in his mouth, that they had been brutalized to the point of resigned submission and that their tormentors travelled among them disguised as ordinary citizens. Despite his sire's passing, the old tactics to control the masses was still employed. His sisters fought only for power and greed.
Behind him, he heard a soft noise. Turning to look upon the person that dared to intrude upon him in his moment of solitude, he met Rina's fierce, green-eyed gaze. She studied him as he studied her before he turned away once more.
"I thought you were going to wait until tonight," she said softly.
"I am," he said reluctantly. "I just needed to know how bad things really were. If I had known," he spat bitterly, "I would have returned years ago and killed my father with my own two claws. My family can rot for all I care, but I can't allow this to go on any longer."
"And you won't," Rina said, stepping behind him and leaning her forehead against his back. "I think you'll make a great king, once you remove the ones infecting the place."
Jeremy relaxed at her touch and sighed. "Perhaps, but it's more than a thousand years of bad rule and tyrant kings. Taking the palace and clearing the ruling slate will be just the first step. I'll be taking tradition and turning it inside out. I'll have no direction except-" he faltered.
Rina chuckled softly. "You'll have only your heart and those you trust to guide you. Scary, I know, but entirely possible. You won't be the most benevolent ruler ever, but you also won't be cruel, either. You're strong and you're braver than anyone I know. You know how to get people to listen to you just as you know how to cool tempers and maintain your own sense of calm. You'll do great."
Jeremy squeezed his eyes closed at the trust he could hear echoed in her words. She didn't know how fear gripped him every time he stepped into battle. She didn't know how angry he could get. She didn't know how far his rage could leap at a moment's notice. Before he could respond, though, a noise made them both look behind them.
A tired look settled over his features as he moved away from Rina. "Very well," he murmured.
Rina followed after him, mixed emotions playing across her face. Now that it was almost time for the battle to begin, she couldn't help but feel trepidation over the final results. Watching Jeremy straighten his shoulders and raise his chin higher, though, inspired a thrill of confidence in her that she couldn't explain. Despite his admission earlier, she was glad that *he* was the one leading them on this assault.
One final check over done by their commanders. One final speech to promote moral among their troops. One final moment to go over their plans. One final moment before they retired for the night. Rina fell asleep curled comfortably against Jeremy's side, his fingers gently playing with her hair.
When he was sure that she was fast asleep, he carefully disentangled himself from her before he pulled the blankets over her shoulders and kissed her forehead. He watched her for a long moment before he left the tent. Outside, she waited for him.
"How are you feeling?" the Head looked him over with a keen glance. She'd known him longer than almost anybody. Something was weighing on his mind.
His eyes were unreadable in the darkness. "I'm fine," he said softly, looking over the many tents and forms of their camp beyond her. Despite the differences they had experienced in the beginning, their soldiers had melded together almost perfectly. "Better, actually, than I was this afternoon." He turned his gaze on his former mentor and studied her for a moment.
Then, he laughed softly and tilted his head back to take in the night sky. "There's been a slight change in plans. I'm going now, while their soldiers are unprepared. They know we're here, but they'll expect us to strike in the morning and they'll use the citizens as barricades. I can't allow that."
“You think you can take on the entire Royal army on your own? Even you aren't that crazy."
"No," he agreed casually and then chuckled, "but Mia is. She, Setsu, and Resu are coming with me. Nadari will stay back and look after Rose and Rina should anything go wrong." Without waiting for her response, he walked away. The hem of the long cloak he wore flapped silently in the wind, as though waving goodbye.
"Don't you dare get yourself killed." She knew she wouldn't see him at all until the fight was over- she had her own troops to worry about. "I have enough babysitting to do without worrying about you."
Jeremy paused and glanced back, chuckling. "Then, I'll see you in the morning."
* * *
Their strikes were quick and lethal as they worked their way through the city to the palace. The dragon citizens were smart enough to stay inside as the screams of the dying rang through walls. Those brave enough to look out their windows caught a glimpse of something that made their hearts lighten. Outside, the city guards were being slaughtered by a foursome that could only be led by one of the heirs.
None had the chance to escape back to the palace, so when the attack came, the Royal Guard was caught completely off guard. Those standing duty at the front doors were dispatched easily enough and entrance to the palace was gained without loss of one of their own. They worked swiftly and silently.
Years of overconfidence and lack of fighting had left their soldiers fat and sleepy. They had easily dispatched the Head of House Cuncon before any notice at all was taken of the missing guardsmen. Jeremy and Setsu waited in the rafters, watching the crazed fervor build. Resu and Mia worked quietly on the barracks outside the palace walls so that, when the time came, reinforcements would be smaller than expected.
The Head of Family Samel was discreetly whisked away while one of Jeremy's sisters and the Head of House Thaine attempted to gain control over their guards once more. That attempt, however, ended when dragons dropped where they stood with their throats slit and no apparent attacker nearby. They turned viciously on those they stood next to and by the time Thaine managed to regain control of his own men, the dome in which the four Family halls split from was covered with blood, white splashes in a sea of crimson. Bits of flesh, severed limbs, grotesquely half-transformed dragons littered the once spotless marble of the grand hall.
In the chaos, his sister had vanished, whisked away by some intelligent sentinel that had had the sense to see what was happening. Bereft of his first target, Jeremy focused instead on Thaine, his grandfather.
He signaled to Setsu to stay put and wait for an opportune moment to join him before he dropped from his hiding spot. Upon recognizing him, they scattered like mice; some fleeing back to one of the four family wings of the palace where the Heads resided during the day, still others fleeing through the doors and taking to the skies. None wanted to face the exiled, bastard heir of their former monarch.
A cold smile graced his lips as he recalled the last time he had seen this particular Head; especially hard to forget when he had used his men to force the young prince to watch him rape and kill his mother in the most brutal of ways. He could still hear her screams and remember the tears he had shed as he begged Thiane to stop. Time to call in a blood debt for his mother's death.
Silver haired and sleek as a cat Thiane returned the cold smile of his grandson. Ah, the memories the boy brought back. Powerful as he was he hadn't been able to command his magic enough to save his mother from the painful death he, himself, had dealt his own daughter for her infidelity. “Long time, no roar, grandson,” he said with a mocking bow. “My, how you've grown. No longer the dragonling you were when last I saw you, but now a mature adult just coming into his own and attempting to gain the throne for himself.”
A harsh laugh echoed through the corridor around them. “I wasn't powerful enough to kill you then, but now more than makes up for it,” he said softly, his words flowing despite his hazy thoughts. This was the man that had torn the woman he had cared most for from him and now the bastard would pay as his father would have paid.
No warning, no indication of his body before they were locked in combat, a flurry of snarls and flashing claws. Jeremy ducked back to avoid Thiane's claws and brought his leg up in a round-house kick that caught a glancing blow to the side of the head; Thiane countered and on they continued. Fury and fear bled together making it impossible for the watching dragons to tell which scent came from whom.
The hall barely contained their fury as it became palpable to the Family that stood back and watched with growing apprehension, their multicolored eyes following every movement, slash, and graceful move of their soon-to-be King and Head.
Then, with a final movement Jeremy seized his grandfather's throat and ripped it out. A pathetic gurgling filled the air as the older dragon collapsed, clutching at his windpipe. With a disgusted snarl Jeremy stepped on his chest and crushed the bones with a satisfying crack!!
For a moment the world stood still before an enraged shriek shattered the air. Turning his shoulder to the side he allowed his grandmother's claws to miss him by a fraction. With an almost careless flick of his wrist she exploded into a thousand tiny pieces. Shifting his gaze to the dragons that stood back, a shiver of fear trickled down their spines. “Kneel or die,” he said softly.
A defiant snarl answered him and the guards rushed forward, some transforming and stepping on their comrades as they did so. In the background, just outside the palace walls, arose the sounds of a furious fight being waged by two large forces. From House Grethel's halls spilled soldiers wearing no uniform except the blood of their enemies. They roared in fury at the sight of Jeremy being attacked and surged forward to defend him.
At the end of it all, when the palace guard lay dead, dying, or surrendered, Jeremy walked among their wounded and dead, giving what help he could here and there. Generally, though, he was shooed by those that had taken it upon themselves to treat the wounded. Though he didn't admit it, he was worried when he didn't find Rina among them, but he didn't have to worry for long. As he was being hustled from the area where everyone was being treated, an indignant scream filled the air.
Turning, he was met with the sight of the fiery haired young woman barreling towards him at top speed. It took him a moment to register the fact that she was as crimson coated as he was and then she crashed into him, her arms wrapping around his chest to squeeze the air from his lungs. She buried her face in his chest and just held on for dear life.
Jeremy could feel heat coloring his face as all the dragons within twenty yards of them paused in their work and turned to stare at them. He didn't have a chance to tell them off before Rina broke away, red faced, and drew her fist back. Her fist connected solidly with his cheek and snapped his face to the left, making stars burst before his eyes. Still blinking rapidly, he was surprised once more when she placed her hands on his neck and pulled him into a kiss.
His hands went automatically to her hips, pulling her closer to deepen the kiss. They stayed like that for a long time until Rina broke away for air, her cheeks flushed. Ignoring the hoots of the surrounding soldiers, Rina snarled, “Don't you ever go into battle without us again or I'll…I'll…”
Her imagination failed her at that point and Jeremy smiled in an arrogant, lazy manner. “Or you'll what? Kiss me to death?” he asked and Rina blushed an even deeper shade of red.
He laughed and released her, taking her hand as he did so. Kissing her fingers, he fixed her with an intense gaze. “I promise I'll never leave you behind again,” he said, his breath feathering across her skin.
* * *
Sighing, he looked over the document once again. It was the third time this month that the Shintari Clan had approached him with the idea of taking advantage of the civil war that still waged in the Arania, their neighboring country. They wanted to "bring order to a chaotic land." In other words, they were land hungry and wanted the unmined riches rumored to be buried in the dragon country. Personally, he was happy to let them be.
Setting the proposal in the "rejected" pile, he moved onto the next document. It was a request from the Tusaka nomads to "double their livestock through spellwork to keep up with the demands of the growing population." Remembering the last few disastrous attempts to supplement their livestock numbers through magic, he chuckled. Let the nomads learn the hard way that some things were better left alone. He signed the document and set it aside.
Reaching for another document in the large stack, he glanced up at the slender, delicately built woman that entered his personal studies. She clutched an official looking paper in her hands and wore a frown.
Sighing, he reached out a hand to take it. "What is it now, Julianna?" Inaeis asked. "Does the Shintari clan request another audience?"
The woman's frown deepened and she shook her head grimly. "Just read it, Inaeis."
Inaeis accepted the paper from his consort of twenty years, the smile disappearing from his lips. He scanned it once, frowned, and read it twice through to make sure he was reading it correctly. "A coronation? For Arania?" he repeated, glancing at Juliana.
"Yes." Julianna said patiently. "And so soon after the decimation of Lucas' hideout. Something is very strange here." She crossed her arms and looked fixedly at the marble floor. "It's strange enough that Jeremy was willing to go back."
“There are rumors going about that the attack was dragon led and that they came away from it with prisoners,” Inaeis said softly, setting the letter aside. He stared out the window for a long time before he seemed to reach a decision. “It is customary for the ruler of all races to attend coronations in the crowning country. There is a brief truce for the ceremony and the celebration in which alliances are made and treaties are renewed. I think that I shall…attend Jeremy's coronation.”
Julianna tried unsuccessfully to hide the surprise from her expression. "After all that business with Thaine? And how could you possibly keep peace with the vampires for this entire ceremony? We still don't know... what happened."
Inaeis rested his chin in the palm of his hand and surveyed his consort for a long moment before answering, "It's worth a try. Besides, I need to know what sort of ruler Jeremy intends to become. If he intends to follow in his sire and grandsire's claws, then I must break the treaty between our countries that was signed before my time. I cannot condone tyranny such as theirs and still keep supporting them."
Julianna bit back her harsh words. Years of standing at Inaeis' side had taught her when to hold her tongue. But that didn't mean she'd ignore it. "You mean to look that kidnapper in the face and smile, all the while watching Jeremy from the corner of your eye?"
“Truce be damned, I intend to gut the bastard should that chance arise and I do not intend to smile,” he replied. “I will smile at him when he is dead.
"Do you... do you think he..." She bring herself to say the words. Deep down she'd always hoped that maybe Lucas had sold them or kept them locked away, but she also knew the vampire's nature.
"If they had intended to ransom the girls back to us for a large number of the elven race, they would have done so the week after they were taken," Inaeis said, shuffling through the documents once more. "I think, dear, that he has or had a plan for them and that we will know soon enough. If they are dead, then he will be more than smug about it and if not, if he lost them to the dragons, then he will be searching for a way to get them back."
She flinched at the word 'dead' but still managed to keep her eyes locked on him. "How do you intend to find out?"
"He'll bring close aides, aides that he would likely have used over the last few years. They'll know things that the others do not," he answered with a shrug. "I highly doubt that anyone except Lucas will notice their disappearances."
Rina stormed down the halls of the palace, cloth clutched in her right hand. Mia trailed not far behind with Setsu following behind her. The dragon servants that caught sight of them, quietly slipped out of sight and then continued on with their duties once she was gone.
In less than a month, she and Jeremy had turned the palace upside down and inside out. He, with his revising of the old rules and traditions, and she, with her way of foregoing customs and treating everyone as her equal. If she was in a temper, then they were more than happy to allow Grethel, feared Dragon Head and General, deal with her.
She stopped before Grethel and thrust the dress in the older woman's face. "I refuse to wear that...thing to the coronation. It's hideous and I can't put my weapons anywhere reachable," she snarled.
"You have to wear a dress, Rina." Grethel said exasperated. "It's Jeremy's coronation- one of the most important events in his life- and definitely the country's most important day in generations. So there's no way out of it. If you're that worried about not having a weapon, I'll be sure to let Jeremy know how little faith you have in his ability to protect you..." she finished with an evil grin.
Rina flushed a bright crimson. "Told ya," Setsu and Mia said together and then grinned at each other. Mia continued, "If Jeremy is dressed up, then you must be dressed up as well to impress the dignitaries and rulers from the other countries to...What was it again, Setsu?" she asked with a frown.
"...to ensure the countries continued welfare and to impress upon them that we are not a weak nation despite the civil war going on in our lands," the younger dragon continued with a sigh.
"Yes, thank you," Mia said with a nod. "We have to suck up to them."
"It's frilly," she said in a horrrified voice. "I like yours better." She eyed Rose's dress for a moment and then sighed. "Fine, I'll wear it." Setsu and Mia wasted no time in grabbing her and hauling her back down the hall, eager to be done with getting ready.
Rose giggled mischeviously. "That went perfectly. Grethel, you really are a genius."
The warrior smiled. "I do use my brain once in a while. Besides, Jeremy threatened to make us all wear dirty breeches and go barefoot if she didn't wear it."
* * *
Rina could barely hold still as she watched Jeremy kneel before the aging dragon. The dress was so damn itchy! Looking upon the scene, though, Rina had to admit that she had been forced into the floor length crimson and black dress. She would have felt out of place among the nobility and ruling class of the other races otherwise.
She snapped her attention back to Jeremy just as he said, "I shall honor the ways of the past, learn from the errors of those who came before me, and accept the weight of the throne." His voice was strong, but soft and it echoed through the entire hall to reverberate through the very bones of those present.
A thrill of fear ran through her as the gold circlet crown was placed upon his head and he rose. She had never seen him look so regal in the red and white uniform he wore.
When he turned and swept his gaze across the entire hall, there was a soft murmur of appreciation through the younger women and Rina felt a stab of jealousy that was quickly squashed. He smiled at her as he descended the stairs and approached her. Offering her his arm, she took it and they led the way outside where the celebration would officially begin.
Near the dias Julianna stood close to Inaeis, her face pinched and drained of color. Despite the rules of decorum her hand was wrapped tightly around the elven king's wrist. She's known who Rina was the second she laid eyes on her. They were alive. It took all of the woman's will power not to lose control. She depended on Inaeis for strength.
He watched them go, feeling his heart flutter. Part of him wanted to dance for joy while the other part wanted to race after Jeremy and demand an explanation. He had heard the rumors of the Dragon Consort, but he had never dreamed that his daughter would be the one to fill that role. His eyes traveled over the crowd to rest upon the vampires for a moment before he swept after the new Dragon King.
Feeling the weight of Julianna's grip, he slowed his pace and approached the pair with dignity. It wouldn't do to humiliate himself after so many years of searching and hoping. He executed the proper bow and gave the appropriate congratulatory phrases while his gaze traveled over the young woman.
She favored her mother, but he could see the traces of elven beauty within her face. Jeremy took note of the attention that the elven ruler was paying his consort and subtly moved to stand between them. "I thank you, Inaeis, and hope that matters will continue to be peaceful and prosperous between our countries for a long time to come," he intoned stiffly back.
Inaeis chuckled at the response Jeremy showed. "You misunderstand my interest in her, Dragon King," he said and Rina turned cold eyes upon him. Under the weight of that gaze, he fumbled over his next words. "I...that is...ummm..."
"You speak rather intelligently for a king," Rina noted coolly, slipping her hand through Jeremy's arm.
"Please, Lady Rina, don't misunderstand." Julianna cut in. Thanks to years of diplomatic training, she managed to keep her tone even. "We have heard much about your loyal service to King Jeremy, and we have a proposition for you."
Rina turned her gaze onto the woman and studied her for a moment. "And what would that be?" Rina asked with a little more warmth.
Julianna gave Inaeis a quick look, her mind working quickly. This may be their only chance to get Rina close, even if she didn't know who they really were. She chose her next words carefully. "Being a consort, especially to a King, is no easy task. Of course, some would say the most important thing is dedication- but I believe quite differently. You see, Court is vicious. I had no one to guide me. I would like to offer to take you under my wing for a few weeks and teach you some useful things." Julianna held her breath. "Don't think it's because you're doing anything wrong, Lady Rina. I just wish to see you do your best for King Jeremy, as I wish to do my best for my lord Inaeis."
She turned a deeper shade of crimson than even her dress. Jeremy watched her change color with great interest. Realizing what she thought was being offered, he chuckled and shook his head. "I believe she means to teach you politics, Rina," he said gently.
Julianna's cheeks shaded slightly as well. "Of course, Lord Jeremy. But it's completely up to you and Lady Rina. Lord Inaeis and I would be thrilled to be able to help." She nudged Inaeis pointedly.
"Yes, of course we would," Inaeis supplied lamely.
Still blushing, Rina said, "I would be happy to accept, but only if you were to teach me here, in the Dragon Court. Things are still too chaotic here for any of the leading figures to leave for any amount of time. It could be construed as..." she glanced at Jeremy and smiled a little "...as an attempt to flee the danger of the situation."
Doing her best to hide her relief, Julianna smiled gently at her daughter. "Of course, Lady Rina. Didn't you know that it's customary for the guests to stay for at least a week beyond the celebrations end? Not the most important ones, of course- Lord Inaeis will be leaving in a few days. But the lesser guests such as myself, will stay for a bit longer. We can use that time to polish up your politics."
Inaeis glanced at Julianna, a slight frown marring his handsome features. "The guard shall be staying, of course, to protect against...accidents," he said, his eyes flashing to Lucas and his guards.
Jeremy followed his gaze and growled. "Lucas," he muttered. "I still can't believe that bastard actually had the gall to show after what he's done."
Julianna began to reply but was interrupted by the arrival of another young woman. She bowed respectfully to the group, keeping her face tilted towards the ground. A dragon followed close behind her. She'd never seen this girl before.
"This is my..." Rina began, but stopped as Jeremy's hand tightly closed around hers. "...maid, Retcher, and her escort, Natari."
"It's... an honor to meet you, Lord Inaeis, Lady Julianna." the girl mumbled, shooting a glare at Rina. Maid? Why not 'my friend', or 'my advisor', at the least? *maid??*
Jeremy chuckled. "Retcher," he said, "is more like her bodyguard. Don't get too close or you might just lose a hand." His smile tempered what sting the words might have caused.
Rose decided she'd never liked Jeremy more than at that moment. She could live with bodyguard. She was even spirited enough to give the King and Julianna an impish smile. "No worries about accidents with me around, Lord Inaeis."
A commotion arose from across the courtyard. Jeremy stifled a sigh. "Mia has gotten into the punch again. I think someone spiked it with Dragon's Blood Liquor," he sighed. "Excuse me while I take care of my guard."
He slipped quietly into the bright finery and music swirling around them, blending in as surely as if he belonged. Rina watched him disappear as well and then looked upon Inaeis and Julianna as well.
With a bow, Inaeis said, "If you will excuse us, I am sure that there are other guests that you must mingle with before the end of these three days. I shall hope to see you around in that time."
A look of pure panic crossed Rina's face as she looked over the crowd once more. She'd forgotten about that particular responsibility of the Consort's. "Crap," she muttered and Inaeis chuckled. Startled, she turned back to them and said, "I mean, I thank you for your company and hope to see you as well in the next three days. Good health and good drinking to you."
Julianna smiled gently at the girl Retcher as Rina vanished. "You seem very close to your charge, Retcher." she commented. That kind of loyalty is rare."
She looked embarrassed. "Well, we've been through a lot together." she said uncomfortably. "I think of her as... a friend."
"Oh?" Julianna watched her with amusement. It was so easy to read this one. "And what of young Natari? How long have you two been involved?"
He laughed nervously and glanced around to meet the angry gaze of Setsu, who vanished before he could say anything. "Aaand now I'm in trouble with my mate," he muttered. Looking back to Julianna and smiling, he answered, "I am actually betrothed to another dragon named Setsu. Retcher is a friend that I am going to adopt into my clan once I am named the next Head of the former House Thaine."
Rose barely kept from giving the game up. When did this happen?! Instead she cleared her throat and smiled shyly. "Um, right... I would be far too stupid to go against Setsu." She laughed nervously. "Besides... there's someone I like. But he's pretty much oblivious, so Natari offered to be my escort tonight."
Natari smiled and offered his arm to Rose. "And with that, good lady and gentle sir, I think we will leave you to the other vultures while we trail after the Lady Rina and make sure that she does not assault another guest."
As soon as they were out of view, Rose turned on Natari. "What was that about being Head of Thaine?" she hissed.
Natari shrugged. "Technically, I am Jeremy's uncle. Thaine is dead and I am the next heir," he said, eyeing Rina and the centaurs she was speaking with.
"So all that about taking me into your house...?"
"…is a precaution against Lucas trying to claim you through politics. If you are part of one of the Four Houses, then you are granted official protection by the courts. It is then impossible to kidnap you without setting the full force of the dragon nation on him and breaking the truce we have with the vampires. Besides," he added, "I can't think of anyone better to add to my house."
It took a minute for his words to sink in. Tears burned her eyes and she wiped at her cheeks with a shaking hand. "Sorry." she mumbled, looking away. "It's just... strange. None of the vampires were ever... well, like all of you. Loyal, protective, caring... It's not something I'm used to.
His grin was a tad lopsided as he turned to look at Rose. "s'alright,” he said easily. "You can have all the time in the world to get used to the fact that we'll stick to you worse than porcupine quills. Besides, I did spring the fact of adoption on you rather suddenly.”
Rose smiled shakily. "Yeah. You need anything, let me know. I'm there. Speaking of which, I better go tell Setsu that only someone as crazy as her would ever be interested in you."
Panic flared in his face and he made to grab for her, but she danced easily out of his reach and vanished into the crowd with an impish grin. He would have chased after her, but a commotion behind him drew his attention and he had to deal with the situation Rina had created before doing anything else.
At the end of it all, after the guests had been retired to the guest suites and guards had been posted, Rina returned to the suites chambers she shared with Jeremy. Closing the door, she leaned against the cool wood and sighed. The first day of celebrations and mingling was over, only two more to go. Only two more days completely filled with double edged words and hidden meanings. Despite the crash course she had received from Grethel and Mia on court etiquette, she still felt completely out of her element.
When Jeremy had asked her to fill the post of Consort, she'd had no idea that doing so would entail putting out political fires before she began and donning the mask of someone she wasn't. She glanced at the window to her left and idly considered leaving through it and returning the life they had led as rouges. It hadn't been easy, but it had been something she understood. Her gaze wandered across the finery of the room to rest upon the door that separated Jeremy's sleeping quarters from the main room of their suites.
The thought of leaving him tore her heart in two. She smiled and shook her head at her own stupidity. There was no way she would ever willingly leave him, not while she still breathed and he still wanted her. That particular thought sent her mind spiraling down two paths. The first path, she took and shoved in a box. There would be time for that consideration later. A lifetime with Jeremy meant that she would never be fully free to do as she pleased. Her freedom would be limited to only the places where he could keep her safe. She would always be a target.
Stepping away from the door, she tugged her gloves off and set them on the couch, still lost in thought. He needed someone that could take care of themselves. Someone who was strong and cunning…someone like…well, not Mia.
She smiled to herself. Anyone who could handle a lifetime with Mia was someone worthy of praise and Jeremy wasn't that sort of person. She considered the other females she knew and dismissed Setsu out of respect to her relationship with Nadari. Rose was strong and able to take care of herself…but something about her and Jeremy being together just…didn't fit right. It was like trying to fit fire with water. They just didn't go together.
Grethel? She couldn't help the laugh that bubbled up and burst from her chest. “Too old,” she muttered under her breath.
“What's too old?” Jeremy asked from behind her, making her jump.
“Nothing,” she said quickly.
Before she could turn to face him, the doors swung shut and he was standing at her back with his arms wrapped tightly around her waist. “Right, which is why you were muttering to yourself,” he chuckled, his lips ghosting down her neck.
Her heart picked up speed and her breathing came quicker at the gesture. All coherent thought fled her at the moment. “Wha-what?” she asked.
Tracing the line he had first made against her skin, he smiled as he nipped at her ear. “What's too old?” he prompted.
“Grethel,” she said, inhaling sharply at the contact.
Jeremy chuckled and released her. “She's not even halfway through her prime,” he said. She turned to look at him, her face flushed, as he continued, “Believe it or not, the females of my kind last longer than the males do.”
“I wasn't talking about lifespan,” she retorted, fisting her hands on her hips. “I was saying that she was too old for you if…something were to happen to me in…the future.” She gestured vaguely with her hands and flushed a deeper shade of crimson beneath the look he fixed her with.
He lifted her chin so that their gazes met. His eyes softened for a fraction of a second before he lightly kissed her. “Nothing will happen to you while I still breath,” he whispered, his breath feathering across her lips. “Lucas will have to go through me to get to you.” The raw emotion in his voice made her stomach flip and sent odd shivers through her body. Her heart throbbed painfully.
Then, he turned away. She was left feeling flustered and frustrated. Four weeks, four, and all he ever did was torture her with feather light kisses, heated glances, and teasing caresses. Finally, all the confusion and pain boiled over and something inside her broke.
Seizing the back of his shirt, she yanked him around to face her. “Damn it, Jeremy!” she snarled. “Am I your Consort or not?! Or are you just using me to fill the title with a face to keep the rest of the females at bay? If so, then why not put me in a different suite and just tell me your plan?” Her voice cracked on the last sentence and she had to swallow the tears that stung at her eyes and in her throat.
Shock and understanding flitted across his face as he stared down at her. “Rina,” he said gently. “If I'd just wanted the post to be filled, Mia would have been well suited to the task of scaring any and all female suitors off. I've been taking it slow with you because I didn't want you to rush into something you would regret later.” He studied her for a long moment before he continued, “You're still young, you have a long time yet to figure out what you truly wa-”
Words were made irrelevant when she twined her arms around his neck and pulled him into a kiss born of desperation and longing, of love and sorrow. For a long time they stayed like that and when they finally broke apart, Jeremy rested his forehead against hers and met her gaze. “I'm sure, Jeremy,” she said softly. “You're all I've ever wanted in this life. If I tried to love someone else, I would die of a broken heart.”
* * *
The next morning found Mia staring quizzically at the main room where abandoned clothes led the way to Jeremy's rooms. She glanced at the rooms on the far end where Rina usually slept and, when she inhaled, she grinned. Rina hadn't gone near her rooms last night. Whistling a cheerful tune, she strode confidently towards Jeremy's rooms and threw open the doors to let in the outside.
Inside, the light slanted to the left to highlight the spacious bed with curtains drawn around it. “Time to get up, love birds,” she said, yanking back the curtains.
Jeremy snarled and threw a fireball at her before pulling the covers over his head. Rina barely stirred at the disturbance. Mia caught and neutralized the fireball before she grabbed the blankets and ripped them off the couple, turning her back as she did so. She grinned at the noises of outrage the pair made as the cold air hit their nude bodies. “Breakfast will be served in an hour and both of you are expected to attend.”
Rina muttered something under her breath, snatched up a nearby pillow, and chucked it at Mia. It hit her in the back of the head with a soft poof. “Out,” she growled. “Make yourself useful and fetch me some clothes from my wardrobe.”
“Fetch her the black and gold dress with the silver scale pattern,” Jeremy added and Rina glared at him. As Mia left, she heard him exclaim, “What? It's the traditional garb for the Consort to wear to the second day of the Coronation Celebration.”
Privately, she grinned. Rummaging through the back of Rina's wardrobe proved to be an adventure as the young woman had somehow managed to stuff all her dresses into the darkest corner. Finding the dress that Jeremy had requested, She disentangled it from the rest and held it up to inspect. It truly was a lovely dress with the way it rippled and shimmered in the light, but she was dismayed with all the wrinkles that had managed to crease the dress' surface.
With a soft sigh, she slung the dress over her arm and made her way back to Jeremy's rooms where she found the Dragon King to be almost dressed. Rina sat on the bed with a blanket wrapped around her shoulders. She glanced at Mia and then went back to watching Jeremy as he slid his black and silver silk shirt over his broad shoulders.
“Not wearing it,” Rina said absently, her eyes tracing the contours of her lover's back.
Jeremy turned to look at her and raised and raised an eyebrow in amusement. A soft smile touched his lips before his eyes flicked to Mia. “Leave it. I'm sure I can manage to…convince… her to wear it somehow. You may go. We'll be down in time for the meal,” he said with a chuckle.
Mia hid a smile and bowed before retreating. There was so much to tell Setsu!
* * *
“You're sure?!” Setsu squealed.
Mia clamped a hand over the younger dragon's mouth and cast a quick look around. Sensing, smelling, and seeing no one, she nodded. “She was in his rooms, not hers,” Mia whispered.
Setsu couldn't help dancing in place. The other attendants that passed through that corridor at that particular moment took one look at the pair, repressed a sigh and carried on about their business. She could have cared less at that moment what the old timers thought of her actions. Jeremy and Rina were finally together in more than just the official sense. Everyone that knew them had known the day would come eventually, but the two had been so slow about admitting it that they had been considering locking the pair in a room and not letting them out until they came to terms with their feelings.
She seized the older dragon's hands and swung her around in a circle. Mia grinned at the enthusiasm that Setsu was showing, but came to an abrupt halt when she heard two familiar sets of footsteps come to a stop a short distance away. Glancing over her shoulder, she grinned at Nadari and Resu.
The two males watched in wonder as the two females continued their spinning as though nothing had happened. They continued for several long moments before they became too dizzy to continue. Stumbling apart like drunkards, they crashed into opposite wall and collapsed into a fit of giggles. “Riiiight,” Resu said slowly. “We came to ask what was taking so long to get ready for the morning meal. Our guests have begun to hover around the table. I think that if Rina and Jeremy don't hurry up they won't have anything left to eat by the time they do get down here.”
They had just begun settling down when Resu spoke, but he set them off again. Nadari arched an eyebrow at them. The look didn't quite suit him as well as it did on Jeremy, but it sufficed. Setsu quieted and rolled her eyes at her betrothed. Mia however, continued to giggle as she answered their unspoken question. “Rina and Jeremy are officially lovers,” she said.
Resu and Nadari shared a quiet grin, but left the hysterical happiness to the females. “Should I inform our guests that they're going to be late?” Resu asked, his deep voice rich with laughter.
Mia shook her head. “I got them up and informed them of the amount of time they had before breakfast. When I left, Jeremy was fully dressed and…” she trailed off at the looks that her fellow guards were giving her “…and I shouldn't have left them alone. Not this early in this particular stage of their relationship.”
“Especially during the next few days,” Setsu added with an impish grin at Nadari, who flushed. “We're going to have to ship them around from one party to the next. The events down in the city, in particular, will need to be attended by the new Dragon King.”
And, with that, they put their heads together and divided up the responsibility of looking after Rina and Jeremy over the next two days. Between the four of them, they managed to work out a tentative rotation schedule that allowed everyone time off to enjoy the festivities.
* * *
Within the city, the festivities that had continued through the night were just winding back up in intensity. Whatever their reservations or doubts about their new king, they appreciated the release from fear and tension, It was the first time in a long time that they didn't have to hold back and fear the wrath of the spies hidden amongst their numbers. It was the first time in a long time that they could set aside their fears and work and just celebrate something.
What also helped them to relax their manners and let go was the fact that their new King had recalled the city guard and posted the Royal Guard in their places. With wild abandon, they threw themselves into the celebrations and enjoyed themselves. The Royal Guard allowed the rules to bend in certain areas and ignored other violations, such as public urination, outright while putting out any fires that were started and discouraging fights.
Tension bled from the city like lava from an erupting volcano. Grief was felt for the first time in years and hope was kindled in them that maybe…just maybe…Jeremy was different than the last line of Kings they had had over the intervening centuries.
The King in question was sitting up at the palace surrounded guests and festives of their own, much tamer in nature than those happening down in the city below, and wondering how best he could make his escape. His eyes kept wandering to his Consort as she danced among the throng and mingled with the rulers and advisors of other races. Mia hovered close enough that those who thought of attacking thought twice about their actions.
He grinned at the thought of that spectacle before his eyes returned once more to Rina. Snatching a glass of wine from a passing retainer, he made his escape up the banister stairs and leaned against the railing to overlook the crowd. The smile softened as he watched her dance with Inaeis and step on his foot. There was laughter and a general murmur of apology between them. For a brief moment, he felt a stab of jealousy watching the easy banter between them, but it was quickly replaced by something lighter, something that warmed him.
His gaze slid to Lucas who watched with hooded eyes not even a hundred yards away. That something burst and a chilling hate filled his chest and cooled his blood. The wine began to swirl in his glass as he rolled the stem between his fingers. That Lucas himself had come even after what Mia had done to his hideout screamed that he was up to something. Added to that was the fact that he was hovering ominously close to Rina and that made him think that the Vampire Chancellor was attempting to keep an eye out for Rose.
His eyes flicked to the young woman in question and he smirked at her appearance. Unless vampires could track by scent, there was no way to tell that Rose was Rose. Her disguise was perfect. There was no way in hell Lucas would ever think to look for his former assassin among his guards.
For a time, he lapsed into thought on the affairs of his kingdom. He continued to watch the ever changing scene below without really seeing it. Years of neglect had left the waterway system in much disrepair and so close to harvesting time that was dangerous. If they didn't end the civil war with his sisters soon, they would have a famine on their hands and very little gold left to buy from other kingdoms.
Then there was the problem of the civil war itself. If it dragged on much longer there wouldn't be anything left in the kingdom worth salvaging. Both Maria and Vesora were ruthless and savage to the extreme. They fought each other as much as they fought him, burning homes and villages in their path. They laid waste to fields and burned down ancient forests just to see them burn.
Gripping the stem of his goblet he was seized with the mad desire to do something, anything, irrational. Here they were, courting the rulers of the other races and his people were dying while they danced and laughed and had a gay time of it all, acting all the while like Arania was a stable country that had nothing to fear.
House Samel still stood as a recognized ally of the Dragon Throne and Samel, himself, even attended the festivities, but Jeremy would have bet his wings that the dragon was courting a possible treaty with one or both of his sisters. The man always had been a treacherous snake before the banishment and, even after twenty years in exile, Jeremy still couldn't stomach Samel's slimy two-timing ways. If it came down to it, he would remove the threat that Samel House represented himself.
A movement and the soft sound of someone clearing their throat brought him out of his thoughts. Without turning, he knew who it was. “What do you want, Bridget?” he asked wearily.
“Awww, that's not very nice! You know, you've been back almost two whole months and I can't seem to find you anywhere! It's very strange, almost like you're avoiding me! And now you use that tone? Shameful!" her lively red hair bounced with each inflection and her bright eyes glittered mischievously. Her tall, thin frame and pointed ears betrayed her as an elf, but she lacked the grace and dignity common of her race.
He eyed her warily. "The last time I saw you, yow blew up the stables and blamed it on me," he said. “Of course I'm avoiding you.”
Bridget's laugh trilled through the ballroom, making more than a few stare. "You're still holding that against me?! That was *ages* ago, silly! Besides," she added, leaning in with an even wider grin, "You could *never* have managed such a masterpiece of an explosive. I did you a favor letting you take credit!"
"What are you planning?" he asked cautiously. The last time he had seen her this happy was right before the stable disaster. Of all the elves Inaeis could have brought, he just had to bring the most psychotic elf in the bunch. If she and Mia ever met, they would get along grand and have a hell of a time wreaking havoc on his court.
"Aww, don't be like that, Jer! I'm finally back! To stay, this time! Grethel offered me a place in her House!" she pranced around in a circle in barely suppressed glee. "Aren't you excited?! I am! I'm really, really super awesome excited!!"
Jeremy stared in wide eyed horror at her, the glass of wine slipping from his fingers. It shattered against the marble floor below and splattered several guests with its crimson liquid. Several screeches of indignation sounded from below, but he hardly heard them. He sputtered, but couldn't seem to for the correct words to give voice to his terror.
"See, told you it was awesome!" She giggled girlishly, the sound a death knell in the sudden silence. "Ooooh, you know what? I heard that there was this new girl here, Rose or something? I bet we could be good friends!! I'm gonna go find her. Maybe Mia, too! She was fun!" Bridget waved at the Dragon King and turned to run away. "Bye-bye, Jer!"
He put his face in his hands and giggled hysterically for a long moment. When the panic subsided, he looked through his fingers and traced Samel's movements across the dance floor. A plan began to unfold within his mind.
Storing it away for later thought, he pushed himself free of the balcony and descended to the floor once more where he was swept again into the ever changing swirl of bodies and color. He passed Mia and gave her a curt nod that she returned before melting into the crowd. Scanning the surrounding people, he smiled slightly when he saw Rina.
The smile turned into a snarl as he saw Lucas approaching her, flanked by his guards. His stride lengthened and he reached his Consort a moment before the Vampire Chancellor did. Slipping an arm around Rina's waist, he smiled dangerously at Lucas.
"Chancellor," he said curtly. Rina watched the vampire with hooded eyes and melded herself into Jeremy's side.
Lucas gave the pair a sickly, sly smile. "So nice to see you, Jeremy...Rina is it?" To his left stood Cartha and on his right a short, lithe woman with dark skin.
Mia materialized at their side a moment later and grinned icily at the tiro. The posture she held was nothing short of hostile and all of her attention focused on the demon ruler as soon as the scent filled her nostrils.
For the moment, Jeremy was content to let Mia guard them. Rinas cast the female dragon a side long glance before she returned her attention to Lucas. "Yes, it is," she answered. "It's been a long time. How are you these days? I heard you had a nasty brush with an insane dragon not too long ago and had to relocate."
“Yes, it was rather... unfortunate." He said pleasantly. 'I see things have been going well for you two, however. I had no idea you were so... close."
His teeth flashed in a predatory smile. "Careful what you say, Lucas. You are, after all, only a guest here. Who knows what could happen this next night," Jeremy said casually as Rina's fingers laced through his.
"A keen observation, Lord Jeremy." Lucas wrapped his arm around the dark woman's waist. "Something we should both keep in mind."
Before Jeremy could respond, Mia laughed and said, "And here I thought the demons could fall no farther." Her eyes glittered with an old hate and malice. "Consorting with the leeches and lowering yourself to be their Consort now, Tara?" Her voice was barely a hiss, but everyone in their little group caught every word.
Tara's eyes narrowed dangerously. "I have my reasons, dragon. I am not so weak to hand myself over to another completely. The... relationship I share with the Chancellor is beneficial to both of us."
Mia took a step towards the demon, but a small hand gripping her elbow stopped her. With an effort, she dragged her gaze from Tara and looked at Rina's intent expression. "Find Seku and trade off. You're dismissed for the rest of the day. Enjoy the festives in the city for a while," she said quietly.
Her calm attitude, more than anything else, pulled her back from the edge of insanity. A tired look flitted across Mia's face. "Yes, Lady," she murmured and turned away from them.
Jeremy and Rina looked over their shoulders, startled expressions crossing their features. A female elf crashed into Mia with her arms wrapped tightly around the startled dragon's waist. They had only a moment to observe the pair before Bridget dragged Mia away, babbling at high speed about some plan she was concocting.
A dry chuckle escaped Jeremy's lips before he could stop it. At Rina's curious glance, he brushed his lips past her ear and whispered, "Later," before turning a cold gaze upon Lucas. "Why are you here?"
Lucas' pale face showed nothing but innocent surprise. "Why, you know as well as I what an insult it would be for me to refuse to attend the Coronation. I have no desire to have our races at war- at least not out in the open."
"Lucas." Tara said pointedly. The vampire smiled.
"So sorry. That was out of line."
Rina's lips twitched in amusement as she tilted her head to consider the pair. "We'll keep that in mind, Lucas. Be careful where you hunt, though," she said.
"And you as well, Lady Rina. Not everyone would be so willing to show you the... favor that Lord Jeremy obviously has."
She frowned. "What is that supposed to mean?" she asked, but Jeremy had stiffened and tightened his grasp on her waist.
A slight smile played about his lips as he replied, "There are not so many that are willing to accept one as...tainted...as you."
Every dragon within hearing stiffened and turned to glare at Lucas. He hadn't just said what they thought he said, did he? The smug expression on the Vampire Chancellor's face confirmed their suspicions and they bared their teeth in a snarl of temper that threatened to spill over into violence and break the age old truce between their races.
Rina felt the building tension of the dragons and smiled brightly even as color shaded her cheeks. “Well, I've always thought it better to be tainted than a sadistic son of a bitch that doesn't have the balls to steal children in the light of day.”
* * *
In a village close to the eastern shore of Arania, the ever-lightening sky was thrown into sharp relief as tendrils of smoke reached for the clouds. The black-clothed demon stood proudly before her `troops', torch in hand.
“Today we fight for freedom!”
Darnia threw the torch at the nearest house, the dry hay easily catching on fire. The family inside fled, their faces filled with fear.
“What do you want with us?” they cried hysterically.
“A truce. Fight for us, and we'll fight for you. Together, we'll win the right to live. This isn't a world just for dragons and elves. We exist too.”
Her voice was excited, powerful. She looked… alive. Which was more than Kyla could say for a very long time. She stayed silent.
The demons shifted slightly in anticipation, their human counterparts exchanging grim looks. If they could just overthrow the dragons then they could take over the country and finally have their own country. They would be free of fear of extinction at the hands of vampires and yezar and werewolves and whatever else had decided that their blood tasted better than any other creatures and wanted to hunt them to the brink.
The family looked at each other anxiously. Would they kill them if they refused?
A young man stepped forward, his face grim. “We will fight.”
Darnia smiled, a half-crazed smile that chilled Kyla's blood. “We have a deal, then. Where is your chieftain?”
A cold smile crossed his features as he looked back into the eyes of the demon's eyes. “I am the new Chieftain, woman,” he said, his gravelly voice thick with eagerness. “These villagers will fight for you so long as I tell them to.”
Darnia's eyes narrowed. “Careful how you address me, man. I am the Queen's first General.”
He gave a short bow. “My apologies, Lady General,” he said more respectfully, his fat, warty face beaming coquettish happiness. “My village is at your disposal.”
She smirked smugly. “Good. Now, we're gathering troops for the attack on the Castle. Get all the men you have together and meet us 50 miles northeast of here in twelve days. Tell no one, send no messengers. That's our job.”
“Very well, Lady General.”
* * *
"Lady Darnia, the area is secure." The demon looked up from the map before her, a satisfied grin on her face.
"Good. Set the guard. The Queen will be here in a few days.”
The demon bowed and backed out, the tent flap closing behind him. Darnia turned back to her work. Suddenly a figure behind her stirred.
"Darnia... are you sure we're doing the right thing?"
A low laugh sounded as black wings rustled. "Still as uncertain as ever, are we, Kyla?"
The poor girl jumped, her eyes falling to the floor. "You shouldn't just appear when people are talking, Amon. And I'm not saying that what we're doing is *completely* wrong... it's just that I don't agree with deceiving the humans-"
Stepping free of the shadows completely, Amon stretched his wings to their fullest for the first time in what seemed ages. His dark, almond shaped eyes flashed with dark amusement as a smirk flitted across his full lips.
"And who to say we're deceiving them? We're giving them part of the truth, what they believe from there is up to them," he said with a dark chuckle.
"Telling them that after the war we won't harm them isn't much of the truth. Do you know how many the Queen plans to sacrifice in this 'crusade'?" Kyla had looked up, her red eyes burning into Amon. To think that she had once loved this cruel man. The thought made her stomach churn.
"Are you doubting the Queen? After all she's promised us?!" demanded Darnia furiously.
Amon ignored Darnia's outburst as he focused in on his ex-lover. "Yes, I do know. Why else do you think I would join such a pointless crusade?" he asked, his voice rich with a seductive tinge. "For the 'glory of the Queen?'”
He laughed. "Not a chance in the seven Hells."
Her eyes narrowed, face paled in anger. "You *want* these poor souls to die, then?"
"Yes," he said, "and I will be among those killing them. Perhaps you would care to join me when the time comes?" His eyes danced with a malicious light. "Just like old times."
Kyla jumped to her feet, fists clenched. "I'm not like that anymore, Amon!"
Darnia took a step back, startled. What happened to her clumsy, quiet sister? And what was this about 'old times'?
Fury boiled in Kyla's chest, made fiercer by the knowledge of her past crimes. Tears tried to form in her eyes, but she held them. Like hells she'd let *him* see her cry.
He laughed again. He could see the pain he was causing her and he took pleasure in it, knowing that he was the only one that could evoke suck a reaction from the normally quiet demon. "I am quite aware of what you are now and the difference in your past and present. You've become weak," he said, enjoying the play of emotions that rioted in her eyes.
"I am*not* weak. I just refuse to be a murderer like you. I will never be like you." she hissed, her voice low. "Tell us what you came for and be on your way. I'm sick of your face."
"You were once and you will be again," he laughed.
Turning to Darnia, he asked, "What news is there on the number of troops and how well trained are they?"
Looking nervously at her enraged sister, she turned to the charts. "We have about 500 humans so far from the villages. However, their training is... primal, at best. None of them can even hold a sword right, much less swing one." Darnia shook her head. "Only a few are skilled warriors, and they refuse to fight for us."
Amon studied the charts for a moment. "How many mages?"
"Only the followers of Daemona and Hereth will fight. That gives us about 5 or 6 from our numbers. However, the High Priests have sent messages to other followers."
"Good," he said with satisfaction. "As to the ones that would not fight, what were their fates?"
"They are being held by the humans. They don't want a few to compromise many." She grinned wryly. "Quite ironic, actually."
“How so?" he asked, absently, his mind already at work.
"She means that the few that would save them from our Queen's *sacrifice* are being condemned for risking this 'alliance'." Kyla spat.
"Then they need to be moved," he said, his ice black eyes boring straight into hers, "and dealt with quickly. I'll not have anything interfering with the plan."
Kyla rolled her eyes. "Does killing anyone who might defy you make you tougher? That's cowardly!"
A smirk flitted across his lips. "I kill for the enjoyment of it, not for glory or strength. Enough with your outbursts. Why is it that you are so desperate to save a handful of worthless creatures? Are you so in love with them that you would *die* for them? Or are you so sightless that you cannot even begin to see the picture on a larger scale?"
The demon's slim hand moved to her sword hilt. "You couldn't understand. You see no value in life. Leave before I forget my duty to the Queen."
He frowned for a moment. She had made threats to him before, but never over something like this. Where had this...weakness come from?
Snorting in disdain, he flashed from sight to reappear at her side, his claws inches from her throat. "Careful what you say and threaten only when you *know* you can win, dearest wing. You may be stronger than when we were together, but it will never be nearly enough," he said softly, his hot breath feathering across her cheek.
Just as the words passed his lips Darnia's own claws were at his throat. "Release her. I'm not the only one willing to forget your rank."
Kyla's widened eyes flew to her sister's cold face. Her body was tensed, ready to fight, but her hands shook. Despite how much of a bastard he was, she didn't know if she could really kill him.
His wings flared, knocking her body away from his. Cold black eyes slid to Darnia's. Despite duty, despite a history he might share with someone he was a murderer that would never hesitate to kill, even an ex-lover or her sister.
A cold smile graced his lips one last time before his hand dropped away. "This is rather counterproductive, isn't it?" he asked silkily.
Darnia smiled cruelly. "Quite. You have your mess-" she cut off as she caught sight of Kyla's face. Despite her efforts, tears slid down her sister's cheeks. Quickly Darnia tried to cover it up so he wouldn't see. "Well, I can't tell you what to do, really. But I will ask that you leave us."
Amon never saw the tears as he shrugged. His fanned wings folded to fit snugly into the curve of his back as he said, "I will take my leave seeing as I have more important reports to follow up on, but I will require your presence later, Darnia, so make sure you leave your tag-a-long behind in a few hours." With that, he swept from the tent and left the two sisters alone together.
The warrior's face grew soft as she knelt down by her sister. "Kyla, don't-"
"Shut UP!" she screamed. "I don't care!" Without pausing, she pushed past Darnia and fled from the tent.
* * *