Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Blood Sister-Revised ❯ Celebrations ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Scroll IV: Celebrations
 
Julianna smiled and gently pulled the elven king closer. "Come on, let's leave the demon and the vampire. Jeremy will keep Rina safe-after seeing them together, I'm certain of it."
 
His eyes lingered on the pair a moment longer before he turned his attention to his Consort and smiling. "He does seem quite fond of her," he admitted. Slipping a hand around her waist, he took her hand in his and began to move to the slow, steady throbbing of the music.
 
Julianna looked down with a slight tinge to her cheeks. "I don't think 'fond' does them justice. It reminds me... Of how it was when we met. Do you remember?" she caught her mistake instantly and stammered an apology. "Of course you do. I mean, it wasn't very long ago for someone who lives as long as you do."
 
He smiled in a bemused manner at her. “I don't think anyone will ever forget how we met. A king does not get rotten vegetables dumped on his head everyday and yelled at for being an idiot,” he said with a chuckle.
 
Her face turned bright red. "It's your own fault for wearing rags and going out into the village. Most who don't watch where the slop is dumped deserve to be called idiots."
 
They stopped among the dancers and their lips met in a soft kiss. Chuckling, he drew back a fraction. “Indeed they do, but I will forever grateful that I was an idiot that day. Still, though, it is fair to say that our relationship was…interesting…in the beginning,” he responded. His dark eyes danced with old affection and easy acceptance of the woman that had captured his heart. “It took me three months of wooing after that to even spark your interest.”
 
"Do you honestly think I'd let myself be easily wooed by someone who claimed to be the 'most inglorious scholar of three points dung research academy'? You're not one for thinking on your feet when you're nervous." Despite her teasing words, her eyes danced with amusement and affection.
 
He winced. “Yes, that wasn't too brilliant a claim to make at the time. I defend myself, though, by saying that I was too captivated by your beauty to notice the words I was spewing.”
 
Julianna opened her mouth to speak but was interrupted by a deafening explosion not too far away. She jumped in surprise as others screamed or ran for cover. Inaeis, however, looked on with bemused interest as the guests that had been closest to the explosion tried futilely to wipe the food and drink from their faces and clothes. “I shall be glad when Bridget is officially adopted into Grethel House,” he said, shaking his head ruefully. “Then she can terrorize someone else's court for a time.”
 
Jeremy was among those wiping food from his face. He didn't look the least bit angry at the mess and the dragon attendants around them had trouble hiding their amusement. Rina hadn't even bothered to disguise her amusement and had collapsed into a fit of giggles.
 
"That, my dear guests," he called, his voice resounding around the hall, "is what I believe to be someone's subtle hint that we've done enough dancing and need to move on. I do believe that some of us will wish to retire and change clothes, so I bid you to enjoy the next festive in our absence.” With that, he walked calmly from the hall while several other guests made a dignified retreat to their suites.
 
An hour later found everyone gathered in the cool shade of the palace forest, the young adults of each race gathered nervously around Mia as she explained the newest festive. It was a game in which dragons paired up with someone who was not a dragon, transformed, and took to the sky with their rider. The rider, she elaborated, was allowed to carry a staff and expected to knock the other riders off their mounts-the dragons grumbled at that-and to stay seated for a long as possible. Dragons were allowed to avoid but not attack and once their rider was knocked out of the running so were they.
 
“When we get knocked off, though, won't we die?” an elf asked rather pointedly.
 
Mia grinned in a way that made everyone uncomfortable. “No, you won't. You and your partner will be hooked together by a harness.” The dragons groaned. "Oh, don't worry, they don't catch fire anymore. We took the old charms off them that ensured no one cheated."
 
"Mia," Resu called. "Don't torture the poor young ones."
 
She rolled her eyes and shrugged. "Fine," she conceded. "What we're *actually* doing is racing five times around the city. You lot," she indicated the non-dragon species, "will pair with a dragon and try to distract the other teams by throwing things like water and smoke bombs at the other pairs.” She surveyed them for a moment and when they didn't move, she added, in a severe tone, “Well? Choose.”
 
The dragons hastily grabbed the nearest non-dragon to them and retreated from Mia three steps. Bewildered expressions crossed the other young adult's faces as they stumbled back with their new partner. Mia merely grinned as she calmly walked up to Bridget and smiled.
 
“So are the victims…ahem…I mean, are the competitors ready?" she blurted out eagerly. I have some special treats just for them!"
 
Nadari barely contained his laughter as he distributed the bags containing the premade distractions. "You'll have thirty minutes starting now to discuss strategy and comb through the woods for original distractions. No rocks or anything else that may be harmful," he added, eyeing the now speculative glances the riders were giving the ground around them. "Remember, what permanent harm you do to each other will be paid back to you." Then, he stepped back and watched the pairs scatter.
 
Her smile turned into an arrogant smirk. "They'll never know what hit them." Turning her head a little, she sized up Jeremy and Rina. "It's a shame though, that there won't be any *real* competition."
 
Jeremy's lips twitched a little, but he refused to be drawn out of the conversation he was holding with the centaur ruler, the Sxorel. Rina, however, glanced curiously in their direction and then back to the other centaurs.
 
"Aw, don't look so glum!" Bridget was suddenly behind Rina and rested her arm lazily on the girls shoulder. "We very rarely have any *serious* casualties... 'Course, that was before I came along. Not that I expect it will be too entertaining this year, with all these greenhorns..."
 
All conversation ceased in the general area as all attention was turned upon the Dragon King and the psychotic elf. Jeremy grinned in a lazy, confident manner that seemed to mean that he knew something she did not. “Do not be so confident. The greenhorns will not be your only problem.”
 
The elf's eyes widened. "Really?? Do tell!" she looked like a child on Yule morning. She danced up to Jeremy and gave him a set of magnificent puppy eyes. "What is it you're planning, Jer? Tell me please? Pretty please with sugar and rainbows and unicorns and-"
 
"No," he said smugly.
 
"Whaaa-??" she playfully punched him on the arm. "But that's so not fair, to say something that cryptic when were already bored out of our skulls!"
 
"I could enter." Bridget's face brightened as rose walked up to them.
 
"Would you? Could you??" Bridget begged.
 
Mia sighed dramatically and shook her head. "It's too bad, though, she doesn't have a dragon partner to pair off with. All the young ones are already taken."
 
Everyone turned to look at Nadari, who had been quietly trying to sneak off. Seku grinned and stalked up to her betrothed to grab him by the arm and drag him back to the group. "We're not paired off with a non-dragon and we're young enough to participate," she said, winking at Rose.
 
Seku grinned and shoved Nadari towards her. "Have fun and return him in one piece," she said cheerfully. She loved it when a plan worked out so perfectly.
 
Nadari stumbled a step and then turned to glare at Seku, who continued to grin innocently. He blew the hair out of his face and shrugged. "I suppose so, then," he sighed.
 
Rose laughed as the headed over to prepare. "It's not like I'm asking you to swallow poison, sheesh!" she teased. "Why so reluctant?"
 
Nadari followed after her like a prisoner of war resigned to his fate. “The last time the race was held we destroyed half the city and almost incited a riot as a result. I do not look forward to a race with both Bridget and Mia. This race is likely to end with many explosions and us being chased by a mob of angry citizens.”
 
Rose laughed. "But that's what makes it fun! What's the use of having fun if you won't remember it years from now? We should make this event as *memorable* as possible.”
 
Nadari simply groaned. Crazy females and their plans!
 
Rina eyed Jeremy and he shifted away a step under that look. The last time she had looked at him in such a manner, he had almost been skinned alive by an angry badger for destroying her home. "What?" he asked warily.
 
She grinned. "We're joining the race, too," she answered and seized his arm to follow after Rose and Nadari.
 
The guests watched in amazement, chuckled, or shook their heads disapprovingly, as their temperaments varied, as Rina and Jeremy disappeared. Whatever Jeremy was, he was not going to be a king like his sire and grandsire before him.
 
Grethel shook her head and sighed deeply, rubbing her temples. Thank god she didn't have to train a motley crew like this. They had all clearly given little or no thought to their pairings, and with Mia and Bridget afoot... Things could get interesting. She gave them all a last look and held her right hand outward. "Ready!!" she bellowed. The players scrambled onto the dragons backs. "Set!!" They all looked around with pale, grim faces, none very trusting of the huge beasts. "Go!!!" In a blur of color they were off.
 
Shrieks of terror and joy mingled on the air as, for the first time, many young males and females took to the sky for the first time. Even the dragons trumpeted their joy at being able to fly so freely. For a moment, they forgot about the race as they soared ever higher and savored the crisp air against their scales. Then, the first blast of water exploded on someone's head and the outraged scream broke the spell that had overtaken them. They scattered, some picking up speed and others gaining more altitude for a better vantage point.
 
Rose held onto Nadari for dear life as they twisted and twirled. A few minutes later, though, she was slinging and throwing things as recklessly as a daredevil with a death wish. “Lighten up, Nadari!” she shrieked. “This is amazing! How do you ever stand to be on the ground??”
 
Nadari's thoughts touched hers for the briefest instant in which an impression of terrifying storms and blinding pain presented themselves to her before the connection broke. Then, he twisted out of the way of a rider's smoke screen and deftly avoided the raking claws of another dragon.
 
She shrieked again and dug her nails into his back. “Warn people before you do that crap!” Whatever response Nadari might have made was interrupted by the arrival of a young blue. Rose flung the first package her hand touched and watched in horror as hot tar exploded over the pair.
The elven rider shrieked in pain as the hot tar scalded him, but his dragon partner barely balked at the sudden weight. Instead, he banked his wings and dove for the ground where the mess could be cleaned off his scales and his rider.
 
Don't worry, Nadari reassured her as she continued to peer worriedly after the pair. The tar is enchanted only to be uncomfortable, not deadly. It won't burn or suffocate them.
 
Bridget cackled as he landed. “Told you we should have added feathers!” she yelled over the rushing wind. The dragon's glare only made her laugh harder. This was gonna be great! “It's only the beginning, champ.” She winked down at the disqualified pair. “Feel lucky you dropped out now.”
 
Mia's chest rumbled with answering laughter as she ducked, dodged, and twisted away from the concentrated efforts to put them out of the running. For the fun of it, she twisted around the blood-red and gold dragon that led the pack and cackled when a smoke screen hit Jeremy and Rina instead of them. Smugly, she glided into the lead.
 
"Think it's time for our 'special surprise?'" Bridget laughed. "It's all ready to go... Jeremy's gonna be pissed!" Without waiting she reached into her pack and prepared to set loose her mightiest creation.
 
Mia cackled and doubled back for another go at Jeremy as the smoke screen around Jeremy and Rina swirled back into the bomb and landed in Rina's hand. Green eyes met and held silver for a moment. A smile touched upon her lips for a brief moment before Bridget released their bomb. Panic flared in her and she jerked away from Jeremy and Rina just before the pair came swirling up at them in a cork-screw manner. The smoke screen bomb came flying at them and hit Bridget in the left side.
 
When the smoke thinned, they had the rewarding vision of the other pair gagging and struggling to stay airborne. The 'dung-web' was truly a masterpiece. Bridget was laughing so hard as they sped away that she nearly fell off Mia's back.
 
With one wing pinned to his side, Jeremy fell into a controlled dive while Rina worked furiously to remove the strands. When they refused to break, she tried another method. After one terrifying moment in which she thought they wouldn't move, they budged just enough free Jeremy's right wing.
 
Snapping it out, Jeremy grinned ferociously and broke out of the dive at the last possible second. Though the smell was awful, he was airborne and they were still in the race. He set his sights on Mia and took off after her.
 
Catching her was almost too easy. His head darted out and his teeth sank into the tender flesh of her tail. Yanking back, he forced her off balance. It took Mia and Bridget by surprise. Pain made Mia flinch and that movement was all Jeremy needed to yank her around and send her spinning towards the ground. They tried to recover but Rina and Jeremy had done their job too well-Bridget lost her seat and grabbed at Mia's side frantically.
 
Jeremy released Mia and almost casually snatched Bridget out of her perilous fall. Without glancing at Mia as she landed heavily against the ground, he soared into the lead once again and glanced down at the city below. He felt a jolt of surprise pass through him at the sight of nearly every dragon watching them and feeling the weight of their gazes. He was being weighed, measured, and somehow he sensed that he had not been found entirely wanting.
 
On their third lap around the city, several of the commoners decided to transform and join them. There were bugles of joy as old time friends twined around each other and shrieks of terror as their riders were caught unawares by the sudden movements.
 
Rose was standing beside Nadari, trying vainly to wipe off the peices of the dung- web that had caught them just after Rina and Jeremy. She tried not to gag as she tried to pry a bit off of her arm. "Will these *ever* come off?" She groaned.
 
Nadari, having chosen to remain in dragon form than deal with the thing in human form, was currently gnawing at the strands that bound his right wing to his side. One eye swung around to stare at Rose. I certainly hope so or I will personally murder Bridget, he commented.
 
She growled and took out her dagger. "Last resort," she muttered. I'll shave it off if I have to."
 
Quick as a flash, Nadari's neck snaked out and he snatched the dagger from her hands. Not a good idea, he said hastily. They'll have enchanted the wed to bond to the skin and resist any and all forms of weapon. Trying to remove it with a blade will only result in serious injury to yourself.
 
Mia chose that moment trot by in her dragon form. Her attention was so focused on the dragons above that she didn't notice Nadari and Rose glaring at her.
 
"Okay, speak." Rose hissed, marching up t her. "How the hell does this crap come off?"
 
Her tail flicked around to wrap about Rose's waist. With a careful movement, she flung the young woman into the lake of muddy rain water from the previous night's rainfall.
 
Gasping and coughing, Rose finally found her footing and stood up. She took a step to go pummel Mia but froze when the stuff simply slid off her skin like a slimy snake. She promptly threw up. Oh, that was disgusting! Bridget's trilling laughter from above just pissed her off even more.
 
Nadari watched the entire scene from a safe distance and then said, I think I'll just wait until the spell wears off.
 
Mia chuckled and spared him a brief look. Good idea. It evaporates after about twelve hours, she said, then returned her attention to the dragons above her. A look of intense pain flashed across her draconic features as her eyes tracked the movements of a pair obviously long mated. Then, as with everything in her life, it vanished behind the sea of her madness. When she looked at Rose again, she was as calm as she had ever been.
 
* * *
 
The sun was just beginning to slide out of high noon as Kyla sighed and tossed her dagger into the air for the twenty-fifth time. She caught it smoothly and started all over again. This was such a drag. Doing a stake-out was rough any day, but she still could not believe that Tara had the nerve to partner her with him, of all people. She glared at the hill that he had vanished over not twenty minutes ago. What was taking him so long, anyway?
 
He circled lazily, high above her, watching the racing dragons from afar. Even at this distance, though, he could just make out the different shaoes and colors that each dragon possessed. They truly were awful and breathtaking, both in their size and in their beauty. Their musculature rippled underneath their finely-scaled skin, catching the available light in the facets of the scale like a mountain of jewels.
 
Just watching the way they turned gracefully in the sky made him grin in anticipation. Such movements were the mark of a fighter trained from birth and such fighters would make for good prey and an even better kill.
 
Kyla finally threw the dagger into one of the trees with brutal strength. this was ridiculous. He didn't need this long. She focused and sent out her thoughts to him "Are you done sightseeing? I'd like to get this over with and go home, far from *you*, if you don't mind."
 
Amon grinned viciously. Always so simple minded and focused, she was. For a moment longer, he tracked the movements of the blood-red dragon and his rider before he banked his wings and fell into a sharp, controlled descent and glided to the ground beside her.
 
"Yes," he said in tones of amusement. "Let us be done with this."
 
"Well at least we can agree on *some* things." Kyla rolled her eyes. "So is the coast clear? The source said that the girl should be by herself by now."
 
He gave her a cross look. "Of course it is. The fools are either too drunk to care or out flying. Now is the perfect time to catch her," he said shortly.
 
"We're not catching her." Kyla snapped. "We're asking her to return. There's a huge difference." She pulled her dagger free and sheathed it. "You're so stupid about these things. She will never listen to what Lucas says if we force her."
 
Snorting, he took to the sky once more. There was more than one way to skin a tooth and bring a stubborn child to heel, not that Kyla would ever listen to such a suggestion. "Let's go!" he called to her when she still had not taken flight. "I thought you wanted to be done with this and go our separate ways!"
 
She was airborne a split second later. They had a very small window to get to Rose- less than ten minutes. They had to be in her bedroom before she was, so they could 'talk'. Kyla let Amon lead the way to the palace. They landed in the covered garden and slipped through the door. It was almost too easy, following the directions they had received to the girl's rooms. No guards were posted anywhere. It was almost as if the stones were asleep. The only sound anywhere was that of their soft footsteps.
 
This is too easy, Kyla said telepathically. They can't be this lax. Not after that confrontation at the party.
 
Who cares? he shot back. For all they know we are part of the Queen's guard sent to retrieve something from her rooms.
 
She sighed. Fine. Don't think ahead. But I'm not dying for your ill planning. There was no more time to talk as they reached Rose's room. It was even unlocked. Hadn't Lucas taught her better? She'd let her guard down at the Dragon Palace. "Where are we hiding?"
 
Amon almost chuckled as he strode easily across the room and melted into the shadows beside her window. It was one of his specialties, one that made him so dangerous, being able to conceal himself anywhere shadows existed. "Hide under the bed if you like," he said softly. "She's less likely to notice you there than in the curtains."
 
Anger boiled in Kyla's gut. "You wretch. You're such a damn show off." But she did hide beneath the enormous bed. Soon Rose returned from the baths, finally free of the horrible smell from the dung-web. She didn't notice that anything was amiss- until a very slight smell wafted from near the window. In a flash, her dagger was drawn.
 
Amon merely chuckled at the sight of such a toy as he materialized beside the window. His stance was insultingly lazy in the way he crossed his arms over his chest and leaned nonchalantly against the stone wall. With the barest glance at the towel wrapped around her form, he tilted his head and bared his razor sharp teeth in a predatory smile. “Long time no see, Rose-darkling,” he crooned softly.
 
"What the hell are you doing here?" Rose demanded. Then Kyla crawled from under the bed. “You, too? Are you here for Tara or for Lucas?"
 
Kyla outstretched her hands peaceably. "Rose, we're not here to hurt you or to take you away. We just want to talk."
 
He chuckled and turned his head away from the pair to gaze upon those outside. The smile slid from his lips as he did another head count of the guests. Someone was missing whom should have been there. Kyla glanced over and caught on in a second. She cursed under her breath. "Rose, we don't have time. Lucas didn't betray you. We all care about you. We want you to come home." Rose just glared. "Please, Rose! We won't hurt you!"
 
"Yeah, right. I'm not going back to the leeches!" the girl snapped. "Tell Tara or Lucas that I'm fine where I am."
 
Fixing the girl with a sidelong look, he sneered. “As safe as you are now? Unprotected and confronted by two possible enemies with no more defense than a toy?
 
"You won't take me willingly," Rose swore. "I'm done with them!"
 
"We're asking you, not forcing you." Even so, Kyla gave Amon a sidelong glance. No telling what he would resort to. "Lucas cares deeply for you."
 
Amon grinned knowingly. "At least with them you knew where you stood," he said gently, his voice washing soothingly over her. "Not like with these creatures, whose strength defies the possible and whose secret plans for you, you know nothing of. Here, you will be nothing more than your sister's shadow, always to be compared and found wanting. At least with them, you were your own person and free to choose how you lived."
 
Rose's face paled. "Don't say that. Rina wouldn't let that happen. She knows how important it is for me to live my own life. You're trying to trick me!" Despite her bold words, her hands were shaking. Kyla knew the feeling all too well. Amon was a master manipulator. He had convinced her to kill by the score, after all. What greater manipulation was there than one of the soul? But she was silent. They had to convince her somehow, and if this was what it took, so be it.
 
Amon shrugged and pushed himself away from the wall, dropping his arms to his sides as he did so. "She has Jeremy to love and be loved. Why would she need you? You'd never be anything but a burden to her and-" He stopped speaking abruptly as his dark gaze met the maddened green gaze of the gray scaled dragon that filled the doorway, her teeth bared in a silent snarl at the sight of him. With a muffled curse, he leapt out the window and took off with Mia close on his tail.
 
Kyla cursed. "Rose, It's true. Think about how demeaning of a disguise they thrust on you tonight, and how no one even knows your name outside of a small group. And they will not forgive your murders so easily. You will be secure with us. Please, remember where your true home is."
 
Very, very slowly, Rose lowered her dagger. "Lucas isn't mad at me for disobeying him?"
 
"Of course not." Kyla soothed her. "He's been worried sick that you were killed or captured. It hurt him deeply to see you here willingly, defying him."
 
Kyla could see the indecision warring in her eyes.
 
Have you shaken Mia off yet? she sent out to Amon.
 
All she got back was a feeling of muffled indignation before the link was abruptly cut off. Without warning, a great jet of flames erupted from behind her and scorched her back.
 
"Rose, now!" Kyla begged. "There's no time! Come home!"
 
It was the strangest feeling, almost as if a deep current urged her to do as Kyla asked, like it was *meant* to happen. So it was hardly a shock to her when she found herself reaching towards the demon tentatively.
 
Nadari sprang from his precarious perch on the balcony railing and landed with his claws on the demon female's back before Rose even touched her. With one eye fixed on his prisoner, he turned the other to look at Rose. The choice to leave will always be yours, but so long as I live and breathe, there will always be a place for you among my family, he said softly. Rina would never make you live in her shadow and Jeremy would never stand for you to be used by anyone in any way. Your life is your own to decide.
 
Tears filled Rose's eyes at both Nadari's words and Kyla's distress. She felt torn in two. "Let her go, Nadari. She won't hurt anyone."
 
He fixed her with a long look, but, finally, he released the demon. I can't do anything about Mia and the other, he said. She's never reacted too well to the sight or scent of demons.
 
Kyla shook her head. "I wouldn't relax my guard around him wrapped in spell-bound chain and locked thirty miles underground."
 
Rose helped her stand. She looked from Kyla to Nadari, thinking carefully about what Amon had said. "Thank you for coming, Kyla. But I have a home here now. If you can't trust Amon, neither can I. If Lucas wants me so badly, he'll have to drag me out bleeding and unconscious."
 
"And Tara?"
 
Rose hesitated. "I will always care deeply for her. But my answer is the same."
 
Nadari stared at the demon female suspiciously. His forked tongue flicked out to taste her scent for future reference. Whatever they had been trying to convince Rose of, he was glad that it hadn't worked.
 
Kyla nodded in understanding. "I'm sorry to hear that. Be glad it was me who you gave your answer too- Amon wouldn't have taken it so well. But I don't agree with his methods. More than likely, he would have dragged you out bleeding and unconscious. But I owe you a debt." She hugged Rose tightly. "Good fortune bless your wings."
 
She bowed slightly to Nadari before she left. "Watch her well, dragon. She is like a sister to me." Then she was gone.
 
Nadari stared after the demon for a moment, left feeling bemused and confused. Shaking the feeling off much like a dog ridding his coat of water, he turned his attention to Rose and tilted his head. Jeremy and Rina won the race and were dragged off by some of the commoners to celebrate, he informed her. Some of the other guests have followed, but still others are returning to the palace for some quiet entertainment after today's excitement. What do you wish to do? I am still your official escort at this time.
 
Rose smiled. "I don't think I'm up for much more excitement tonight. What is the real definition of 'quiet entertainment'?”
 
Nadari's lip curled back in disgust. Tea and biscuits, he replied. More pointless talk and flirting among the nobles and the rulers. There might be a few shows here and there, but quiet means quiet.
 
Rose made a disgusted face. "Hm. Any other alternatives?"
 
He grinned suddenly. There's always cloud jumping, he offered.
 
"Cloud what?" she asked a little nervously. "That sounds risky."
 
Cloud diving is risky, not cloud jumping, he chuckled. All we do is fly around in circles around the nearest cloud and make amusing shapes for the children and glide on the wind currents.
 
"Sounds like fun, then." the girl grinned. "Let's go for it." She never spared another thought for Amon.
 
* * *
 
In the lower city, the celebration was just beginning to reach its peak as twilight began to settle over the landscape. For the entertainment of the crowd, some of the guards had begun an impromptu mud wrestling contest with the winner receiving free drinks from any and all bars in the city from the rest of the Coronation celebrations. Males and females of all kinds joined in the fun and were happily thrown from the mud ring by other competitors.
 
The surrounding throng of onlookers cheered and drank, booed and drank, danced to the music and drank, and just had fun. Within their numbers were a few surprising guests that most would have recognized right away had they been sober. As it was, however, Jeremy, Rina, and Inaeis were able to mingle with the commoners without much trouble and joined in the fun with a few of the other rulers. No where could they see the guards that had supposedly accompanied them into the festives, not that they much cared.
 
Gerand, son of the `Noble Sxorel Hterna', watched the fun from afar. He sighed and glanced back at his mother with more than a little resentment. He understood well how important his role was, but did that mean that he could *never* have fun? He was fifteen years old- almost a warrior, but still young enough to get away with things... say, a friendly competition involving wrestling?
 
Hterna was sitting with her advisors, sharing a drink and discussing things more than likely serious and foreboding. Peh. He hated politics. Now, how to get away without arousing suspicion...?
 
At that particular moment, Mia decided to crash land among the trees where they were holding the tea party. The demon she had been chasing was already streaking off through the ever darkening night sky. Everyone turned to look at the woman that slid from the tree to begin plucking leaves from her clothes and hair. Blood trickled down the side of her face and when she looked up at the other guests, she smiled politely. "Hello," she said quite calmly.
 
Gerand's shock wore off almost instantly. He looked to the others and grinned when they, as expected, gathered around the dragon. They wanted to know who the demon was, why he was here, why she'd let him get away. Was there a threat they had not been informed of?
 
Now's my chance, he slowly edged out of the clearing, keeping one eye on Hterna and the other on the distant festivities. Please, please don't look over here...
 
Mia calmly informed them that there had been no breach of security and that she had been merely performing a standard training exercise. The 'borrowed' demon partner, she told them, had done his part perfectly and outmaneuvered her in his escape. Her eyes briefly flickered over the centaur prince and a slight smirk touched her lips as he slipped away without anyone else noticing.
 
Mission success! Gerand galloped full speed towards the others. He'd show them how *real* warriors won a competition! He'd take down anyone who stood in his way, defeat every-
 
What the--?
 
He didn't have time to stop. His momentum was too great. One second he was looking at the shocked expression of the Elven King and the next, they were both splayed out in the mud. This was *not* good. Oh, holy hells was he in trouble.
 
There was barely time to register the two large shadows descending on them from above before the two competitors fell on them. Raucous laughter filled the air as Inaeis flailed wildly about under the dragon sitting on him. There was a moment of suffocating darkness before the unconscious male was shoved off him and someone grabbed his foot to drag him out of the mud pit.
 
Gerand stood up and watched the pair nervously. The Elven King *and* the Dragon King? He was so not getting out of this. Should he slink away or apologize? He agonized over his next move as everyone laughed around him.
 
Brown eyes flecked with gold flicked over the Centaur Prince as he scrambled to stand up. Amusement filled his gaze before he turned back to Inaeis and nodded towards the young Centaur. Inaeis looked the young male over and then laughed. "That was more excitement than I've had all day, but I'd rather not repeat the experience," he said mildly to the young prince.
 
"Uh, yeah." Gerand stammered. "Won't happen again."
 
Before anyone could say anything more, a roar deafened them all as the winner of that round was declared. The guard in charge of the contest called for another competitor and when no one stepped forward, he glanced around the crowd and grinned when his gaze lit upon Rina.
 
Without looking at her companions, he snatched her arm and pulled her forward. "Come on!" he called. "Winner of the next round gets to take this pretty young thing out for a drink!'
 
The males surrounding them peered with interest at her and she felt a blush heat up her face. Jeremy bared his teeth in a snarl and was about to tackle the guard when Rina caught his eye and grinned impishly at him. He found himself grinning in return as he realized what she was silently demanding of him. 'Come and get me!' the look said.
 
Inaeis gaped in open astonishment at the scene before them. Did the dragons honestly not recognize their ruler and his Consort?
 
Gerand hadn't missed it, either. Was the guard just stupid or did he want his head on a stake? Whatever, at least it took the attention away from him. It looked like his blunder was forgotten. He looked sidelong at the men present, wondering who, if anyone, would dare vie for the King's consort.
 
"I will," Jeremy said, his voice loud and confident. He stepped forward and grinned viciously at the guard, who almost withered under the look. A few of the other males talked among themselves and then two were shoved out join him.
 
Rangas stepped forward proudly. He was on a high- he'd won the last contest, why not this one? He was a tall, strong warrior- one of the best in House Samel. He looked forward to beating Jeremy. "A bit lacking in the waist, but I'd take you out anytime." he teased.
 
Jeremy glanced sidelong at the young dragon and snorted in amusement. "A bit full of your wings, are we, youngling?" he chuckled. "Make sure not to trip over your tail on your way out of the pit."
 
Rangas' remark was cut off by the arrival of a lithe dragon from House Grethel. Her green eyes glittered as she leaned casually against the bold warrior. "Careful, Rangas, or you might choke on those words. Or I may shove them down your throat." She smiled sweetly at Rina. "My, aren't we cute? My name is Venya, and I'll be the one taking you out tonight."
 
Rina chuckled weakly. Her eyes flicked to Jeremy's bemused expression and said, "I doubt that."
 
Dether stepped quietly forward to join the other three. His quiet smile at Rina made the young woman instantly like him. He gave no boast and simply nodded his readiness to the guard standing nervously beside Rina. "A four way fight!" he announced when no more came forward. "Back up, you scoundrels! Make some room for the fight that's about to start."
 
The onlookers gleefully shoved each other back, laid bets, and grinned with anticipation as the four fighters made a square.
 
Rangas rolled his head back and cracked his fists. "Let's get going!" He couldn't wait. This was his whole exisence- betting his strength against someone else's. He'd have to be recognized by Samel if he beat the *king*.
 
Venya Simply stretched and waited, her every movement reminding Garand of a sleepy cat. They all waited anxiously for the guard to signal for the fight to begin. Jeremy dropped into a crouch and watched the others with hooded eyes. Drethel merely rolled his shoulders and mirrored Jeremy's stance. "Rules are no crotch shots and no eye gouging! Anything else goes!" the guard shouted. “BEGIN!”
 
Venya moved first, heading straight for Rangas. It cought him slightly off guard- he'd expected her to go for the whelp- he was the weakest, wasn't he? But soon his full attention was taken by the dragon dead-set on incapacitating him.
 
He narrowly avoided her claws and reached for her arm. Venya was too fast. In a flash she was behind him, her quick hit making his left knee buckle.
 
"Too slow, too dumb!" she taunted.
 
Jeremy and Drether sized each other up for a moment before they looked back at the fighting pair and then back at each other. Jeremy grinned suddenly and Drether understood what he meant to do. From opposite sides, they tackled Venya and took her down to the mud.
 
Anger took over Rangas and he went for Drether. How dare they step in on *his* fight? He paid no mind to Jeremy or Venya. His entire being was focused on pounding this guy into the dirt. With one movement he tore the dragon from Venya and threw him across the improvised 'stage'.
 
Drether rolled with the momentum and landed lightly on his feet instead of crashing into the onlookers as intended. He smiled at the look of surprise that crossed Ragnas's face. Commoner and young, though he was, he was well trained.
 
He charged and rammed his shoulder into Ragnas's stomach, twisted, and swiped his feet out from under him. A quick strike to his face broke his nose. Drether sprang back and swayed from foot to foot, keeping one eye on Jeremy and Venya as the pair grabbled and Rangas got unsteadily to his feet.
 
Ragnas bellowed and charged, forgetting everything in his pain and rage. He would not let this *worthless* slug beat him! His eyes widened in disbelief as Drether simply stepped out of the way and delivered a swift blow to his back, temporarily paralyzing him and putting him out of the fight.
 
Drether looked on curiously as Venya and Jeremy continued to grapple in the mud. He eyed Venya contemplatively for a moment before he took a step back and decided to simply wait for one or both to come at him.
 
Jeremy, meanwhile, was having a little difficulty keeping her claws from gouging a hole in his chest. He sported several cuts from where she had narrowly missed and a long scratch down his right temple. Finally, with a frustrated growl, he locked his legs around hers, sank his teeth into her left arm and flipped her onto her back with his free arm pressed against her throat.
 
Just like a feral cat, Venya arched her back and twisted in an almost impossible position. She managed to get to her feet, but Jeremy still held her arm. With an evil smile she raked her claws down the entire length of his arm, cutting as deep as she dared for a 'civil' competition.
 
Drether chose that moment to attack, seeing an opportunity to take out one of his opponents. He struck Venya in the side as Jeremy released her arm and sent her crashing into the crowd. Hoots and cheers sounded as the onlookers pushed her back towards Drether. The younger dragon cautiously circled the female while both kept one eye on Jeremy.
 
Venya had known from the moment the fight began that this one was stronger than he seemed. She had hoped to get Rangas out of the way first but he'd beaten her to it. If she wanted a chance against Jeremy she'd have to take this one out with minimal injury. Either way, she'd earned herself some respect with holding her own against the King. Enough for a promotion, maybe. Imagine what honor she'd get for taking out this one *and* the king. She made the first move, using her unmatched speed to strike at the dragon and dart away before she could get hurt too badly.
 
Drether rolled his shoulder with the blow and was about to retaliate when a quick blow to the back of the head made bright stars burst before his eyes. The ground rushed up to meet him, but something caught his shirt and pulled him out of the fight as his vision tunneled and darkness claimed him.
 
Jeremy set Drether to the side while never taking his gaze off the woman.
 
Now she was even more determined to take the king down. "While I'm glad he's out of the way, that's two taken from me." she purred. "But I'm not too angry. Now I have you all to myself." It hurt deeper than she'd let on. In her profession, if you fail, you die. She needed more training. How could she claim to be one of Grethel's best if she let *two* 'kills' be claimed by another? This was her only chance to redeem herself- and get a date with a cute girl in the bargain. She waited for him to make his move.
 
Jeremy glanced superstitiously at Rina and grinned. Rina's eyes moved to Venya for a fraction and without looking, he dodged the strike and jabbed his knee into her stomach as she missed. Without missing a beat, Venya twisted out of reach and aimed a low kick at Jeremy's knees. He caught her movement, though, and she narrowly avoided his next strike. This was going to be tough. She grabbed his right arm and twisted it, aiming to reach the back of his neck and paralyze him.
 
A slight smile quirked his lips as he reversed her grip and flipped her to the ground, pinning her there beneath with his foot. He smirked down at her and his eyes narrowed slightly. Adding a little pressure to her chest, he asked, "Give?"
 
"No way, King." She struck his knee with surprising force, using that split second to roll out from under him. "You'll have to knock me out."
 
Before she had risen to her feet, he kicked her side and sent her flying once more into the solid wall of onlookers, now silent at the title she had called him by. Venya crashed into another female and they both went down. Several other members of the crowd helped her to her feet and sent her staggering back in.
 
"I didn't mean *literally*." she laughed. "Come on, let's end this." She went at him in a kamikaze dive, using all of her strength and momentum to grasp his shoulder and flip around, hitting his back from behind with enough force to stun a bull. Vaguely, she hoped she hadn't severed his spine before jumping away yet again.
 
Pain exploded up his back, making his eyes cross. He staggered a little, but otherwise remained upright. He shook his head and restored his vision, tracking Venya's quick movements as he did so. "Wow, you're still standing?" Venya eyed him with new interest. "Impressive." She weighed her options. They were both starting to get worn down, and Jeremy had startlingly few weaknesses. He wouldn't kill her, but he could do some damage. Play time was over. She had to attack as if she meant to kill, or she'd never take him down. She went for his chest, claws extended.
 
A spurt of crimson.
 
A loud crack.
 
The crowd stifled their gasps of surprise and astonishment as Jeremy stepped away from Venya's prone figure, blood flowing freely from the wound on his chest. Rather than dodging, he had taken the brunt of the attack and used the momentum against her to take her arm and break it
 
Venya held her limp arm, her face white. If she were an enemy, she'd be dead now. This fight was over. She nodded respectfully. "I concede," she said with amusement, "with the humble request that my Head hear of the outcome."
 
Jeremy grinned and glanced back at her. "Of course." He sized her up for a moment before he chucked. "You did well. If Grethel consents, there may even be a place for you in the Palace Guard." Turning back to Rina and the guard, he snarled at the male. The guard tripped over his own feet in his haste to get away and landed on his back. Jeremy towered over him and as he wrapped an arm around Rina's waist, he coolly said, "Next time, ask the woman you drag into your ill gotten schemes whether or not she wants to be part of the spectacle."
 
"It's only polite," Rina added with a chuckle as she touched the wound on Jeremy's chest.
 
Venya sighed wistfully. "Why is it that the *King* always gets the cute girl?" she gestured to the crowd with her uninjured arm. "All of the others are plain, stupid or both. Or they aren't interested. What's a girl to do?"
 
Inaeis chuckled as he extracted himself from the crowd. "To be fair, she has been in love with the Dragon King since before this fight so you never really stood a chance with her."
 
"Ah, so is life, I suppose." she winked slyly at him. "Another one, eh? Should I expect to see Hterna emerge from the shadows? -Ah, wait, the next best thing. Her whelp. How amusing this night has become!" She giggled and walked over to Drether and Ragnas."Poor things. Didn't know what they were getting into."
 
Rina peered over Jeremy's shoulder at the woman and laughed a little. "You're an odd one," she said with a grin. Then, she turned back to Jeremy and pulled him into a kiss, much to the amusement of the crowd. For a moment, they forgot that they were staring at the King and his Consort as they hooted and cat-called to the couple.
 
As sanity took a flying leap out the proverbial window, Inaeis called, "I do believe you've just won free drinks for the lot of us, Jeremy, on the guard's tab, of course." The guard never got the chance to deny it as the crowd cheered and stampeded into the nearest bar to drink it dry.