Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Blood Sister-Revised ❯ Council ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Scroll V: Council
 
As the first rays of light illuminated the city streets, only one was awake to see it. She stormed from the Palace gates through the upper city, and nearly broke through the gates to lower city. The morning sun illuminated her hair, turning it crimson. A fire burned in her eyes and she walked with the strength of purpose gifted to very few. She *would* find them, and she *would* drag their sorry selves all the way to the Palace if she had to. Her wings quivered in agitation. Trust Jeremy to pull something like this. Probably got into a fight over Rina or had to play the hero-
 
Her mind stopped it's bitter internal monologue as she approached the tavern. It smelled of sweat and stale spirits and was *overflowing* with unconscious drunks. She had a feeling she was in the right place. She nearly vomited at the smell but waded through the sea of bodies with the discipline she'd gained as a warrior. Her eyes scanned over a fat man buried beneath two of his fellows, a woman fatter than a Yule pig, and... ah hah.
 
Grethel wasted no time in reaching them, stepping heedlessly on the rabble scattered about. With no hesitation she leaned over and whispered in his ear, "If you don't wake up I'm going to shave both of your heads and tar and feather your prized mounts. You have a kingdom to run, you lazy sod."
 
Rina jerked awake first, bashing her head against Grethel's. She quickly buried her face in Jeremy's chest again and clutched at her aching head, moaning as the hangover combined with the headache. Jeremy twitched and opened one bleary eye. At the sight of Grethel, he growled and turned onto his side.
 
With a frustrated growl, she ignored the pain and raised her voice. "Jeremy, so help me, you will wake up or I'll tell everyone about your flying lessons. Uncensored."
 
He snarled, but didn't open his eyes again.
 
"FOR INSTANCE," she bellowed, waking many from their deep slumber, "THE FIRST TIME I TAUGHT YOU HOW TO GLIDE WITHOUT WEEPING LIKE AN INJURED HATCHLING BY TICKLING YOU UNTIL YOU WET YOURSELF. OR THE TIME-"
 
Jeremy grabbed the thing nearest them and chucked it at her. As it so happened, it was someone's shoe. That someone snarled and leapt after said shoe, incidentally colliding with Grethel on the way. The shoe thus retrieved, the dragon trotted happily out of the tavern with the shoe clamped in her mouth.
 
Grethel rolled her eyes and leaned down next to the most coherent dragon she could find. "Hey, did you know that when King Jeremy was a hatchling, he used to be afraid of cats? One time, I came down into the stables because I knew he was hiding, trying to get out of flying practice as usual, and-"
 
The next thing to go flying at her was a chair, but by that time Jeremy was on his feet and stretching the soreness out of his muscles. He yawned and peered down at Rina, oblivious to Grethel for the moment.
 
The Head smirked. Well, at least that got him up. She told the dragon to pay her no mind, but he had already fallen back into a deep, alcohol-induced coma. She sighed and waited impatiently for Jeremy.
 
Rina yawned, opened one eye to glare at Jeremy and then curled into a tight ball, muttering about males and where they could go. Jeremy simply chuckled as he crouched down beside her and picked her up. She was already fast asleep again by the time he stood and looked at Grethel, one eyebrow quirked in question at her.
 
"You finally ready?" Grethel snapped. Without waiting for an answer she turned on her heel and exited the tavern, talking non-stop. "Thanks to your success in getting thrown into the lower city you don't have time to eat until lunch, at one. We'll take Rina to your rooms and she can eat when she wakes up. First you need to change, you smell like an ox covered in horse dung. Then it's off to the Council to get things back in a semblance of order."
 
Jeremy glanced down at his clothes in amusement. "Nah, I think this will do."
 
"You're covered in sweat, blood, booze and gods know what else. You're changing."
 
"Nope," he said cheerfully. "If the Council is out of control, then I'll deal with it first. Besides, I think the smell will be useful and entertaining."
 
"No. Absolutely not. The council won't implode while you get some decent clothes on."
 
Jeremy simply smiled. There was absolutely no way he was going to change. If he was going to deal with their tempers, they were going to deal with his smell.
 
They had reached the palace by this point and Grethel had had enough. "You know what? Fine. I wash my hands of you for today. Do what you want. Disgrace the Royal House. See if I care. When you feel like being responsible and taking your role seriously, you'll find me at the barracks." Without waiting for a response, she stormed off, her face red and her back rigid.
 
Mia appeared at his side as Grethel disappeared, taking Rina from him. She wrinkled her nose at his smell and cocked an eyebrow at him. "Have a good night last night, did we?" she chuckled.
 
Jeremy stretched his arms over his head and grinned. "Yes. Did Inaeis and the Centaur Prince make it back alright?" he asked.
 
"They made it back in one piece, were each swarmed by their own guards and dragged back to their rooms. From what I hear, The Centaur ruler and Lady Julianna weren't too pleased with them," Mia answered with a lazy grin of her own. "The council room is in an uproar over last nights events, so have fun."
 
He shrugged. "When are they not in an uproar?" he asked and then, seeing Mia's smirk, added, "Don't answer that. Just take Rina to my chambers and look after her. Make sure she changes and eats before she does anything else." And, with that, they parted ways. Jeremy reached the council room and paused outside before throwing the doors open and entering inside.
 
Tara nearly gagged when he walked in the room. That smell was disgusting. Did he seriously not take the three seconds to change his shirt? She kept her face neutral only with a severe effort of will. He looked rather pleased about it too, damn him. Was he trying to piss people off?
 
She glanced at her fellow diplomats and grinned. No one else looked too happy Bout it, either. Lucas' face looked pinched, and the Sxorel's shoulders were slightly more tense than usual. Inaeis looked like he might be sick. What a lovely start to the morning.
 
Inaeis grinned at the looks on everyone's faces and folded his fingers over his nose to breath in less of Jeremy's scent and more of his. He glanced at Lucas and his eyes narrowed as Jeremy took his place at the table.
 
Tara watched him take his seat. If this was how seriously he took them, maybe overthrowing him wouldn't be so hard after all. He must have heard about the human villages being burned. Or maybe not, with all the trouble in the Palace. But she intended to keep a close eye on him. She thought of Amon and Kyla's failed attempt at bringing Rose back. Perhaps the girl was better where she was- for now.
 
Silence reigned as he sat down and politely folded his fingers beneath his chin. "Let's begin this again and do it right," he said gently. "Soxrel, perhaps you would like to start this council meeting off once more?"
 
She nodded and addressed the council. "I believe I speak for all of us when I say that it is a relief to have King Jeremy here today. While it is not my place to judge other members of this Court, I believe that things will run much more smoothly. To begin, if you will all please recite the Oath."
 
There was a general murmur of discontent as most people shifted and generally avoided beginning the oath. Eventually, they relented and began, “All ye of fen and fey who sit among us today agree to abide by peace and leave behind bloodshed for the duration of the Council. So we speak, so we intend…”
 
“So let it be done,” Jeremy intoned. There was a brief flash of light in which they were all blinded for a moment as the oath settled over them. “Thank you, Noble Sxorel,” he said, nodding his head at her. “Now, to begin with, why don't we air our grievances before we do anything else? We will discuss the different concerns and see if there is not a way in which to resolve them here without the need for violence. If not-” his eyes lingered on Lucas for an instant “-then it is up to the grievant to decide whether or not they wish to take their claim to Challenge.”
 
For a moment Tara let herself fantasize about taking Lucas to challenge- finally, after all these years, gutting him and making him squeal like a pig. But she wasn't finished with him yet. Instead, she sighed and tried not to be *too* obvious in her boredom. What a waste of time. She wished she could have sent someone in her place- Amon, perhaps, or her loyal General. Oh, well. Maybe something interesting would happen. Like Jeremy ripping Lucas' face off. That could be entertaining.
 
Inaeis had the faintest impulse to call Lucas to Challenge over the kidnapping of his daughters, but when he considered it he reluctantly acknowledged that it was a personal matter and not something to be discussed within the Council. Besides, Rina was healthy and happy with Jeremy and he had his suspicions about her "bodyguard." He smiled for a brief instant, remembering how she had been introduced to them, then, he returned his full attention to the Council and watched the Sxorel raise her chin. She had something to say and, whatever it was, it wasn't good.
 
"Recently my people have become aware of a disturbance near our lands. Normally we would pay it no mind, but these occurrences are becoming more frequent, and we fear an uprising. As the council knows, our island lies close to the southern border of Arania. For the last few weeks, we have had over fifty humans come to us, requesting protection- as is our long-standing duty to the kingdom.
 
"Based on what these people have been telling us, their villages are being attacked and the strong young men and women recruited into an army. They claim that it is Queen Tara's General who is doing this."
 
Tara stiffened in her seat. She had expressly warned her troops against drawing attention. Didn't they know how to be subtle? This could be very bad. She could only either admit to the attacks, or say that Darnia had acted against her. She watched the council's reaction closely.
 
All eyes turned from the Sxorel to Jeremy and then to Tara. Jeremy's eyes narrowed slightly as he studied Tara's carefully blank expression. A civil war and an uprising? So, the demons thought to take advantage of the turmoil that his country was going through. Knowing how she would answer a direct accusation, he asked, "Well, Tara, why is it that your general is attacking my human villages?"
 
"First, I'd like to comment that these humans *claim* that these demons were led by Darnia. I have no knowledge of these attacks, and no knowledge of my General disobeying me. I suspect that it's simply a rogue pack led by a cheeky outlaw who thinks I owe her something." She spoke coolly, keeping her tone conversational but guarded. She made a mental note to have the Sxorel assassinated.
 
Lucas seemed a little tense too. Did he doubt her? He should. But his attitude was *not* helping her case. If he turned on her and spilled... screw the Oath, she'd have him hung out in the midday sun by his entrails.
 
Jeremy's lips twitched in a half smile, half snarl. He studied her for a long moment, knowing that she was hiding something. Hterna would never have reported this problem to him if she had not been sure of her sources. "You're not as intelligent as I thought," he said coolly. "*If* your general had been leading them for you and taking the human villages because you were after a country of your own, I'm sure we could have come to an agreement in which you would not have had to deal with..." he glanced at Lucas "...unpleasantness to get your own country."
 
Tara was really, really hating the Oath right now. Was there any hope of salvaging this situation? Should she come clean or continue to claim she knew nothing? Or, better yet, could she turn this on Lucas? She could always blame Darnia- but that would lose her Kyla as well as her best soldier. The entire council watched her, waiting for her next words. She had to make a choice. What was the best way to get what she wanted? With Jeremy's help, she could have a country, and she would no longer need the vampire's protection. Which also meant that she would never have to act as his consort again. But what of the girls?
 
Originally she'd planned to kill them, taking away any hope of Lucas' to gain immortality. But she'd known from the start that it was a risky move. Plus, she'd grown rather attached to Rose as a child. Perhaps there was a better way to solve this. But she would not concede without Lucas suffering for his manipulation. She could demand justice.
 
Inaesis' fingers tightened together for an instant. There was a part of him that couldn't believe Jeremy was offering the Demon Queen such a thing, but the part of him that was king coolly approved of the offer. Take away one of Lucas's allies and one of his sister's potential allies and he cut down significantly on the fighting he had to deal with.
 
Tara made her decision. She could stand swearing fealty to Jeremy as long as Lucas got what was coming to him. That was all that mattered. She sat up straight and addressed the council, keeping her gaze on Jeremy and Lucas. "I apologize to the council. I was not aware that anyone present would understand my position. Lord Jeremy, the Sxorel's reports are correct. I sought to build a home for my people. We have been persecuted for eons, with no regard to our right to live freely. I had an agreement with Lucas for protection, but he has only barely upheld his end of the bargain, and I feared for my people."
 
Jeremy smiled viciously at Lucas and Inaeis couldn't help but grin. "Thank you, Tara," he said softly, never taking his glittering gaze off the Vampire Chancellor. "We'll discuss the specifics later, but right now, I would like to submit a grievance of my own against Lucas. He broke a long standing treaty between our races during my banishment and attacked those I was travelling with."
 
Lucas's glittered with anger. “I hardly think you have a grievance me seeing as you stole something from me. You have your consort, let us leave it at that.”
 
His eyes flashed dangerously. The only thing that kept him from leaping across the table and ripping Lucas's face off was the Oath. His power swirled around him in a spectacular display of colors before it died and sank back into his skin. Then, he was the picture of calm once more. "I would hardly say that I *stole* Rina from you. I gave them a choice to come with me or continue on their way. One *chose* to stay and the other returned to us years later. I never *stole* them, seeing as you stole them in the first place from so-"
 
"Me," Inaeis said calmly. "He stole them at infancy."
 
"Hold!" Sxorel Hterna stood and fixed each of them with a stern glare. "Explain this. Who was stolen, and why? When did this happen?"
 
Annoyance at himself for giving too much away flitted across his expression. He met and held Inaeis' gaze, weighing the truth of his claim. He smiled slightly at the Elven King. "I recognize your claim," he said softly, "Would you like to explain or shall I?"
 
I will, the beginning, at least," Inaeis said, nodding at Jeremy. "My Consort and I are not childless as we led my kingdom to believe. She gave birth to twins sixteen years ago and on the same night, the elite guards protecting them were slaughtered and they disappeared. Subsequent searches over the intervening years led us to Lucas on more than one occasion."
 
Hterna shook her head in disbelief. "Half-elven twins? And you didn't see fit to inform anyone?"
 
"There is no proof." Lucas cut in. "Besides, even if such evidence were found, It's likely there are others here just as guilty."
 
Jeremy laughed humorlessly. "There is proof. I simply don't know whether or not she would be willing to provide it," he said shortly. "Blood cannot lie."
 
Inaeis glanced at Tara and studied her for a long moment. "I know you had the demons steal them, their claw marks are distinctive and there were plenty of such claw marks on my guards. That, however doesn't explain away the fact that they were always left in the care of vampires."
 
"Perhaps I can offer insight." Tara said coldly. "I will gladly admit that it was myself who was ordered to kidnap the girls. Actually, it was my first duty to Lucas in exchange for his 'protection'. Lucas then took a handful of his trusted guards and myself and stayed on the move. He knew that King Inaeis would be looking for them, and he wanted to avoid a fight- a fight he'd probably lose." She paused. *This is where I ruin you, Lucas.* she thought.
 
"Lucas' plan, as he relayed it to me, was to use the girls to attain immortality. for those here who are unfamiliar with the process... the Prophecy is not the only fear involved with half-elven twins. It's said that by draining them both of their lifeblood, one can become a god. Of course, there are other specifications, but they are hardly important now."
 
There was a brief double flicker in his power as he reached out to Mia and the other guards he trusted. A triple flicker informed them of a danger to Rina. There were four double flickers that let him know his message had been received, then came a single flicker he assumed was from Nadari, informing him of his decision to stay with Rose. His traveled around the council, weighing each of them, before he said, "I found Rina traveling with the vampires ten years ago. She had a sister that chose to leave us after a short time. Since then, Rina has been with us." He eyed Lucas. "Any attempt to kidnap her or her sister now will be met with violence and I won't even have to order the attack."
 
Lucas was speechless. All of his carefully laid plans had blown up in his face, all because of the demon wench. But she had forgotten- the demons did not know yet of her transference of loyalties. And of the two, he was certain Rose would be easier to capture. He smiled and folded his hands. "Noted. But I can't help but wonder- did you really think that I would not recognize the child I raised to admire and protect me?" No sooner had the words left his mouth then the order was sent. If he could not have what he wanted, let these fools suffer the consequences.
 
Tara shot up, her mind filled with images sent to her by her loyal Advisor- they wanted to know if the order was accurate. And one didn't care. "Who is guarding Rose, Lord Jeremy?" she snapped.
 
"Nadari," he said coolly, his mind already working quickly to catch up. The color drained from his face as he received an image of an attacking demon from the dragon in question. He snarled at Lucas before he took off, transforming as he went. His talons gouged deep scars into the stone as he ran.
 
Tara was right behind him, practically screaming orders at her guards telepathically. Kyla was the first to respond, rushing to aid her dear friend.
 
She was having a hard time of it. The demons had been allied with the vampires for so long that many of them ignored Tara's protests. Soon there were many demons dead set on killing Nadari and taking Rose. She fought her way through them, heedless of her own safety. She could hear Nadari fighting them off ahead. Rose was yelling.
 
She nearly choked with rage when she saw who had led the attack. Samuel had always approved of siding with the bloodsuckers- it was no surprise that he'd ignored his Queen in favor of Lucas. He was currently locked in fierce combat with Nadari. Where were Jeremy's guards? They should have been there! Kyla was fully aware that she could not win against Samuel. But if she could distract him long enough to get Rose away...
 
Jeremy streamed past her in a ripple of muscle and scales, roaring his fury. He was a lethal blur of teeth, claws, and tail. Any that got within range were killed as he fought his way to Nadari's side.
 
Nadari met his gaze and he understood in that moment what he wanted, what *needed* to be done. He gave himself no room to think as he switched directions and smashed three demons into the wall. Two had seized Rose and were trying to force her out the window. His neck snaked out and his teeth closed on one of their shoulders. One jerk of his head and the demon male was ripped into two. Blood dripping from his snout, he bared his teeth at the other demon and dropped the arm he was still holding. Around them, the other demons had begun to retreat.
 
Kyla took the opportunity to run to Rose's side, slicing neatly through his wings with her keen blade. He fell writhing to the floor and she kicked him unceremoniously out the window. For a moment, she felt that thrill- that amazing high she'd experienced fighting at Amon's side, killing by the score for the fun of it. She shuddered and the emotion faded.
 
Jeremy's tail shot out to wrap around Rose's waist, lifting her from the ground to his back as he turned. Before he could so much as take one step towards Nadari and the demon he was fighting, the demon drove his claws into Nadari's unprotected stomach. Cold fear flooded through him and, though he leapt for the pair, Nadari fell clutching the wound and the demon skittered quickly away.
 
 
With a final swipe of his tail, he beheaded the final demon attackers. That done, he turned his attention back to Nadari and transformed, forgetting Rose was on his back. He collapsed under her weight for a moment before he scrambled out from under her and knelt beside Nadari.
 
The dragon opened one eye, focused on the fight that was occurring across the room. Jeremy turned his head, flicked his hand, and released a short burst of power in the enemy demon's direction. He watched long enough to see one of the demon's legs cut off by the burst of power before he turned back to Nadari and pried the younger male's hands away from the wound.
 
"Damn you, Samuel!" Kyla growled. "I'll feed your liver to Tara!"
 
She leapt after him before anyone could move. Bloodlust consumed her, drove her strikes and fed her murderous instincts. She wanted his blood. She'd bleed him and use his wings for hide...
 
Rose felt helpless, and she hated it. What had her training been worth, if she couldn't protect herself from this rabble? Or protect Nadari, who had been so kind to her.
 
Then Tara arrived. With a mental apology to Kyla, she enforced her will directly on the attacking demons, stopping them in their tracks. As one entity, they fell to their knees in pain. "I am your ruler, not Lucas!" She roared. "You obey your Queen!"
 
Kyla fought her with all her might. She was lost inside her mind. Tara couldn't risk her breaking free. She motioned to Rose, who wasted no time. She cautiously approached Kyla. "Kyla. It's okay. You can stop fighting."
 
For the moment, Jeremy ignored them. He grimaced at the sight of the wound when he tore back Nadari's shirt. It was horrible. Even without the aid of a sight spell, he could see that the demon had damaged several internal organs and severed part of Nadari's spine.
 
Nadari's breaths were coming slower and slower. His eyes fluttered open and he pushed weakly at Jeremy's hands. "Sto...Jer...hurts," he mumbled. "Rose?"
 
"Fine, just fine," he choked, fighting back tears as he took Nadari's hands in his own. "You were brilliant and very brave, you did well."
 
"Take care...of...Setsu..." Nadari smiled one last time before his eyes fluttered shut and he sighed one last time. His grip slackened and his hands slid out of Jeremy's.
 
“Of course,” Jeremy whispered and closed his eyes as the tears fell freely now. He tipped back his head and screamed. The sound filled the room and resonated outwards until the very grounds shivered with his grief.
 
It was enough to snap Kyla back to reality. Her head snapped to the side and she stared at Tara in shock. She had not expected them to break council. Then her eyes fell on Nadari.
 
"Kyla? What are you-" Then she understood. Rose's face paled. "No." She stumbled over to his lifeless body as if in a dream. There was no denying it. He was dead. And the bastard who killed him was at their mercy. Too clean, too simple. It was too fast. Why shouldn't that wretch suffer?
 
Jeremy bowed his head over Nadari's body once more. He looked almost peaceful, like he would wake at the slightest touch, but Jeremy knew better. Ever so gently, he gathered Nadari into his arms and stood. His gaze darkened when he saw the demon responsible for his friend's death. "Do what you want to him, Rose, but leave the kill for Setsu," he said coldly. To Tara he said, "We made a deal and I intend to honor it, but don't approach us for a while. I cannot guarantee your safety for the next few hours if you do." With that, he swept out of the room to confront the dragons that had gathered outside the door.
 
His rage spiked up another notch. If they had been here the entire time, where had they been? "Cowards," he hissed. "Return to your Family Halls. I will deal with you in a few hours. Don't even think of running. I'll hunt you until you die of exhaustion."
 
Tara turned to her own subjects. "Out of my sight, all of you! If I ever see any of your faces again I'll tear off your wings and feed you to the wolves." None of them objected. In a flash, they were gone- except for the one Tara was still struggling to keep under control, the one who had killed Nadari. She approached him slowly, reveling in his anguish and yes- his fear. She could taste it. So he understood that he was mortal? Good. Rose joined her.
 
"Samuel. You have committed treason and murder. Tell me, Kyla, what is the punishment for treason?"
 
""To have your wings torn from your body and be exiled."
 
"And the punishment for murder?"
 
Rose answered. "To be at the mercy of those you have hurt the most, to be killed at their leisure."
 
"Better to be killed than to serve a weak whore of a Queen." Samuel spat. "You're not worthy of holding the throne."
 
"Rose." Tara said softly. "If you would please take your dagger and relieve him of his wings. We'll let him bleed for a bit before you do what you wish to him."
The sounds of his screams echoed through the building- Rose took her time with it. A ways away, Grethel caught the sound as she barreled into the palace, looking for Jeremy. She had no idea what had happened, but she had received the signal even from a hundred miles away on a scouting mission.
 
* * *
 
They took one look at his face, then looked at Nadari reposed in his arms like a fragile child, and fled for their Houses. One dragon female, however, lingered before him, hesitating. He studied her for a moment, his rage cooling a little. "Inform the Royal Guard that all the vampires still present are to be killed and then go down into the city and summon a commoner by the name of Drether. Once you have completed those tasks, I want you to summon a dragon by the name of Venya from House Grethel and inform the general that he is to induct her into the Guard. Can you do that?"
 
"Yes, sire," she murmured. "I am sorry that Nadari died. I liked him." Then, she fled down the hall, towards the Council chamber and disappeared around the corner.
 
Ignoring the screams now issuing from Rose's room, he strode forcefully towards his own chambers where Resu was guarding the doors. The color drained from his face when he saw Nadari.
 
"What-?" he began, but Jeremy shook his head and entered his rooms. Inside, a feminine cry filled the air before the door swung shut behind Jeremy.
 
Resu clutched his shirt just over his heart when pain drove him sink to his knees and brought tears to his eyes. Nadari, long time comrade and friend, dead, killed in the line of duty.
 
"Jeremy!" Grethel stormed in, pulling a young girl behind her. "What's going on? I get your signal that Rina's in trouble, and then someone tells me that you want me to induct *Venya*, of all people-" She froze when she saw Nadari. Shock froze her features and Venya, no longer pulled forward, fell flat on her face.
 
"Who killed him?" Grethel asked slowly.
 
Setsu clung to Jeremy, her shoulders shaking and her face hidden in his chest. Rina knelt beside them, a comforting hand on the other woman's shoulder. Mia sat in one of the chairs in the main chamber, staring numbly at Nadari's body where he lay on the couch.
 
Jeremy glanced up at Grethel, his eyes giving nothing away. "A demon. It's already being taken care of," he said softly, stroking Setsu's back as her sobs doubled. "Setsu has last kill, as custom dictates."
 
"I don't *want* to kill him," Setsu half-screamed, her voice muffled by his shirt. "I *want* Nadari back. I want to see him...smile...and laugh again..." All the little moments she had ever spent with him and taken for granted now came rushing back to replay themselves out before her eyes. She choked on her sobs and shuddered.
 
The doors opened yet again and Kyla stumbled through the door, clutching a deep wound in her side. Grethel barely managed to catch her before she fell. "I'm sorry... but you need to know." She straightened as well as she could. "Lucas got away in the confusion- that was probably his intention. We tried to stop him, but... he's stronger than he's led us to believe."
 
Mia rose from her chair. "Let me hunt him, Jeremy," she said softly. "I know his scent. I can find him. Release me from my Oath."
 
Jeremy studied her for a long moment. Her eyes were clearer than they had been in years. There was no madness, only grief and a fierce desire to do something. He nodded. "I release you, Mia," he answered just as softly.
 
"Wait." Grethel released her death-grip on the dragon. "Take Venya with you. She specializes in tracking. Kyla, what did you mean by 'stronger'?"
 
She shuddered. "It was... terrifying. It was like an explosion. One second he seemed as he'd always been- the next, he was literally tearing everyone apart who came near him. I... I think the Sxorel is injured as well. No one could get near him. Except Tara. He took her with him."
 
Rina looked between Nadari, Jeremy, and Setsu for a moment. Then, she looked at Kyla, a curious mix of determination and grief flitting across her face. "I can heal, take me to those that need me," she said as she rose gracefully.
 
Terror raced through Jeremy as he grabbed her arm. She looked down at him and smiled. "I can do more for them than I can do for Setsu. You-"
 
"Go with her, Jeremy," Resu said from the doorway. He stepped in, walked around the demon, and knelt beside Jeremy and Setsu. Ever so gently, he brushed the hair from Setsu's cheek. She lifted her face from Jeremy's face and looked at him before she extracted herself from Jeremy's arm and hugged Resu. "I can take care of Setsu for now. We'll take care of Nadari later tonight."
 
Jeremy rose and released Rina, following after her as she approached Kyla. Mia chuckled, a dry sound. "Let us go, then, Venya," she said darkly. "We've a leech to catch and kill."
 
"Are you sure you want him dead, King Jeremy?" Venya asked. ""It might spoil the fun for Tara, Rose and the rest of the council."
 
"Bring him back if you can, but otherwise, yes, I do want him dead. He's done enough damage," Jeremy said, standing at the doorway and resting a hand on the frame. He turned his head and fixed the woman with a piercing look. "Don't think he'll be easy prey, either." Rina took his hand in hers and drew him from the room, following after Kyla as she did so.
 
Venya led them down the hall towards the west wing of the palace. She was so concentrated on catching his trail that she didn't notice the girl until she nearly ran her over. She skidded to a stop, hand on her belt. When she realized who it was, she sighed. "Look, if you have a death wish, go jump off a turret. I've got hunting to do."
 
"Rose?" Mia asked sharply. "What are you doing without a guard?"
 
"Looking for Lucas," Rose answered calmly. "Do you honestly think I'd let him slink away? He kidnapped me and Rina, manipulated me, killed Nadari, kidnapped Tara."
 
Her face contorted with fury and she took a step towards Rose. She raised her hand and struck her. "Wake up," she snarled. "You're just deluding yourself if you think *you* can take him on alone when you couldn't even defend yourself against his minions."
 
Venya rolled her eyes and leaned against the wall. She *hated* drama. Rose didn't take her eyes off of Mia. "I know. But I can tell you where he's going- I'll even act as bait This is something I *can* do. I wish I'd had the chance to fight. I am capable- I hesitated. I was confused. I'm not used to fighting the demons- they were always friends. But that cost Nadari his life. If I don't do something now, how can I ever make up for letting him die?!"
 
Mia narrowed her eyes at the younger woman and considered her for a long moment. Finally, she said, "Fine, you can come with us, but you have to do as we ask, otherwise he will have died for nothing.”
 
"You done?" Venya snapped. "Come on, move it, brat. He's getting away." She grabbed Rose by the shirtfront and barreled down the hall. "You said you know where he's going. Spill."
 
Mia sighed and ran a hand through her hair. Already, she could tell that the journey ahead would be a long one.