Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Broken ❯ Broken Memories ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 1
Broken Memories
 
It begins in a mistreated graveyard. Grave markers lay broken, tombstones crooked and brittle. The grass was yellow and over powered the height of the stones. A mausoleum lay in ruins and below; a boy sat on the front steps. It was early morning. His brown hair shined in the morning light. The boy had been awake for hours. He held the bridge of his nose gently between his right thumb and index finger. He tried recalling memories of long ago. He remembers flashes of his parents, a baseball and glove that were never used. Sirens rang in his head. He remembered blood stained clothing and sheets. He knew why he was there. He soon after remembered the orphanage and all the nuns that took care of him and the other children. He couldn't remember anyone's names or faces. He vaguely remembered the day he met Téa. What he could remember clearly was leaving the orphanage with Téa. He bought books of spells so that he could help her, but he didn't remember how he came to know that his friend was the Angel they had been waiting for so long.
 
He tightly clutched the pendant around his neck. Dangling below that was a small white feather. The radiance gone but the meaning still the same. It was his only true memory he still had left. He remembered the Angel, the real angel. The night he gave him this feather, he understood that he wanted to help people just like the angel.
 
He slowly stood. He stretched his arms up high above his head then shook them to loosen them. The sun was really beautiful coming up over the ocean. The night before a fresh rain had covered graveyard. He looked down into the puddle and traced his right hand down his check and down his neck. He gently touched the spikes on his collar and then gingerly ran his hand down the nape of his neck. So many things had changed. His black body shirt cling to his curves tightly. He sighed as he ran his hand down to his hip and gently stretched the black jeans. Chains rattled as he turned. He kept his eyes on the water and soon regretted spending time watching his appearance.
 
“Daemon!” A cheerful girl yelled. Her arms wrapped around his neck and he gently poked the side of his stomach. “Has someone gained a few extra pounds?”
 
“Knock it off Téa.” He smiled and paused, “Do you really think so?”
 
“No silly!” She let him go and gently pushed him. She held her hands behind her back and leaned forward, “Why are you so tall.” Téa pouted.
 
“I guess I had tall parents.” Daemon said as he brushed on his clothing and turned to look at Téa.
 
She was a lot shorter then he was. He was six feet two inches tall and Téa was only five feet three inches. She was a little short but it didn't matter. Daemon patted her head gently and walked passed her back up the stairs of the mausoleum.
 
“Don't mess my hair up, I just got it to stay…” Téa whined as she lightly fixed her hair. She had medium length black hair. Few strands fell in her face but were delicately pushed a side. She wrapped up the extra hair that covered her neck up so that it was slightly spiky.
 
“It'll just get messed up later anyway.” Daemon said as he plopped down. His chains rattling and then silenced. He picked up the nearest book to him and opened it.
 
“Why are you reading those again?” Téa asked. She sighed as she read the title of the book, Advanced Entrapment.
 
“The spirits are getting stronger and stronger every day. I need to keep up with my chants so that we can banish them to another—”
 
“You're always studying…why can't we just go out and take a nice walk?” Téa paused and grumbled, “We can go to the book store…”
 
“Alright.” Daemon said as he held the book in his hand and stood. “I think I'm up for a walk.”
 
“Yay!” Téa jumped around in circles and latched onto Daemon's arm. “Let's go let's go!” She giggled.
 
Daemon laughed, “Alright, alright. You lead the way.”
 
“Yay!” She happily yelled and drug Daemon off into the city.
 
The once crowded city was no more. Buildings were in ruins. Smoke from buildings covered the sky so that everything was a light shade of gray. There were some happy laughter of children, and more cries from others. Téa tightened her grip on Daemon and he wrapped his arm around her shoulder.
 
“It's okay, we're slowly helping them.” Daemon assured her as she nodded.
 
“At times, it just doesn't seem like it.” Téa replied quietly trying to block out the cries.
 
Daemon frowned as he saw the hurt look in Téa's eyes. He knew that she could hear more then what he could. He wanted to help her but there really was nothing he could do. He gave her cards and talismans to protect her, but she never used them. He wanted to get rid of the hurt in her eyes every time they entered the city but if she didn't want to let him help her, there was nothing he could do.
 
Téa led Daemon into the bookstore and the two separated to look for things that interested them. Daemon went back into the section he was quite fond of. He could find his spell books and books on spirits there. He picked up a book that read about protecting. He placed it under his arm along with his Advanced Entrapment book. He went along the line looking for more when her heard Téa calling him.
 
“Daemon! It's my dad! They spotted him again!” She rushed over to him and shoved the small paper in his face. Daemon sighed as he took the paper and looked. This wasn't the first time that she had brought him something like this.
 
“Téa, this isn't—”
 
“It is!” Téa yelled. Daemon was taken aback by her sudden hurt sounding voice. “It is him…”
 
“Téa…” Daemon sighed and gave the paper back. “It's not him.” He said it quietly.
 
“But…why is it that every article I have and bring it to you, you say it's not him! WHY!” She yelled, tears brimming in her eyes.
 
“I've told you before, no one knew who your father was until he died. I've seen your father, and the man in the photo is not him. There were no pictures taken of your father.” He hated saying this repeatedly. He hated to break her heart.
 
She looked to her feet and quietly stood.
 
“I'll buy it for you…” Daemon said as he placed the paper under his arm and walked to the counter. He paid for his things and he grabbed Téa's hand. “Come on now…”
 
Téa reluctantly followed and the two left the store.
 
~*~
 
Author's Note: It's the end of chapter one. This was just a short introductory for Téa and Daemon. As soon as the introductory chapters are over the chapters should become a little longer. The next chapter will be worked on soon. Stay tuned for Broken People.