Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Capricious Infection ❯ Act 42: Mood swings ( Chapter 42 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

XxXxXxXxXx

Capricious Infection

Act 42: Mood swings

By: Melissa Norvell/Revamp

XxXxXxXxXx

`I hope you feel guilty, wellbringer,' Ares' thoughts scorned Oz as the door opened and Rezzi entered the room with some candles. Even if the power went out, she didn't need her deteriorating sight to navigate in the darkness.

David stood there, glaring down Oz and Tarvos. Everyone looked at him, as if they recently became aware of his presence in the room. Then again, it wasn't hard to miss, considering the fact that he was radiating anger and malice.

`Yep, human David is royally pissed,' Ares glanced to the Dius of Time, `have fun explaining your reasons for being an inglorious bastard.' In a way, Oz deserved this. It was about time he got what he deserved for treating people so terribly.

The expression on the dark-haired boy's face was stern and his eyes were emotionless. “Maybe you should have just killed me, too and saved yourself a useless explanation and a lot of mistrust. You've done some shitty things in the past and I looked past it,” his voice held no emotions to it and was ice cold. “Why? Because you're Oz. You're time. I try to understand what you do. Your element is my element, but it's more than clear there is something missing. That was a shit move. How dare you continue to treat me like a child. Even now, you feel like you had to do that behind my back. You might be my idol but don't mistake idolization for stupidity.” His hands clenched at his sides and his teeth ground together as he tried to control himself in that moment.

“You knew it was coming,” Oz held strong to what he had to do. It was essential for the plan.

“Stop bullshitting yourself,” David argued. “I got your number, dude. You're a smooth operator, no doubt but I'm here to stomp on your beat, hardcore. Better believe I'll lay a smack down to your stone cold visage.” It took everything he had in him not to go over there and strangle the life out of Oz. If he wasn't upset over his parent's deaths, then he was over the blatant betrayal he felt from the Dius that stood before him, the man he admired since before he'd even seen his face.

“I think that we need to talk, personally,” Oz wanted to get the confrontation away from prying eyes.

“You would,” David seethed, narrowing his eyes behind his shades.

“It's not what you think,” Oz tried to explain the situation the best he could, “and I know that you probably are calling me every obscenity that you can think of, but I'm asking if you would give me the time.” If he had time, then he could set things straight. He wanted to make the earthling understand why he did it, and why he hid the fact from him.

“Oh, you're right,” David continued to seethe. “You're being verbally wrecked in my mind. You pissed me off hardcore, yo. You don't even know, and it's not about what you think it is, either.” Sure, it ground his gears that Oz killed his parents, but there were principals of the fact that he was severely missing.

“David…” the Dius' voice trailed off, and his eyebrows knitted together.

“No, bro,” the boy pointed at him with a steely gaze, “it's man-to-man time.” He wanted to expose him for the sorry person he was.

Besides, Tony needed to know what Oz did to him. There wasn't going to be any more secrets around here.

Oz walked over to him and thanked him, holding his head out. However, he was met with David's Time Sword. He held it up to his face and said `allow me' as the hands on the clock face began to turn rapidly. They rotated around the surface so quickly that it seemed as if they might fly off. The two were engulfed in a red, blinding light as they were transported through time. When the glow subsided, Oz glanced around at a purple sky and fields of snow-white grass.

He then turned his sights back to David, who leveled him with a stern frown, “look familiar?”

The Dius was a little taken aback that David knew about that place, let alone how he got there. This was supposed to be he and Tarvos' special meeting place. How was it possible that David followed them there, much less knew how to get there himself? “You're not supposed to be able to get here. Only Tarvos and I can come here.”

“I knew you'd make a personal paradox and I took a gamble, but I've studied paradoxes and found that they all have different formulas and equations. I figured that you used your own so I did some time hopping and found them, and then I infused it into my Time Sword.” It was all simple mathematics. After all, David wasn't just sitting around and doing nothing. He was actually studying his element and practicing to be a better Time Guardian. The outcome depended on how well each one knew their own element, right? So that should have been a no brainer.

“You went back in time to the creation of the alternate paradox?” Oz was impressed with his methods. Perhaps he had underestimated the boy.

“I use my time wisely,” David told him. If Oz wasn't going to respect him, then he'd make him do it.

“I'm impressed,” the Dius didn't know that he had been doing anything like that, or even that he obtained such knowledge. The fact that he figured out something so complex in such little time was truly outstanding.

“Bite me,” David didn't want his compliments, “I was ahead of you because I expected a shit more from you. As much as I idolize you, I never completely trust hackers.” That wasn't even logic specifically applied to the situation that was general logic. Hackers had a special way of screwing people over, and David wasn't about to put blind trust in him.

“You're a hacker as well, aren't you?” Oz found that statement hypocritical.

“I'd say something sarcastic and cut-throat here, but I'm too pissed to think of anything,” David knew it was true. He had no way of countering that move, and his only rebuttal was silence.

“You're intimidating,” Oz was really caught off guard by David just coming out of the woodwork with a bombshell like that. The information he knew was shocking, and the Dius knew that he probably had more to hide.

“I got my secrets,” that phrase only brought truth to his thoughts.

“I actually took you away from everyone to tell you my secrets, and why I killed them behind your back,” the Dius of Time knew that he owed him an explanation. It was about time that he knew.

“I'm waiting,” David placed a hand on his hip and stared him down.

“I killed them because I'm getting rid of the older population. In order to build an appropriate world, we will need people that we can lead-“ Oz began to explain, but he was cut off.

“Dude, no, I'm sure they would have listened.” Oz wasn't going to give him any of that, older people were all too stuck in their ways and must be eliminated in order to make a world that would agree with him. David would be the first to call bullshit on that.

“I want to raise an empire that would see you all as great heroes. People that could be rules by someone your age and who would not want to harm or rebel against you,” Oz wanted the boy to understand. He didn't want a mutiny to occur and have someone rise up against them or even kill them off before their world could be given birth to.

“What are you trying to do?” David pressed the issue. He knew there was more to it than that and he wasn't leaving until he got the answer.

“I'm trying to raise a new society, who can be subject to new ways,” Oz began to explain his plans to the boy. “The old and elderly would divide your empire and put far too many differences among your people. Younger minds will grow and learn. You can mold them. There are many aspects that count here. They would live in fear of aliens and most of them would never reconcile with us. They will always see us as invaders and conquerors. These are the facts of many years of research. A scientist, famous around your world, the human Stephen Hawking acknowledged our existence and proposed to the human world that we raid planets for their resources. He concluded that making contact with us is far too risky. He predicted our meeting much like a human Christopher Columbus to your Native American people.”

“Stephen Hawking is a smart dude, but I don't think he was talking about the Dius. It was also his idea that we colonize space so we could live elsewhere if something happened to this world,” David noted. “In his ideal vision, we should be like you guys are - warriors and conquerors. You told me that everyone was going to die, but I never said I could figure out why you spared the younger kids. It wasn't consistent, because you killed everyone in school.”

“It is a small group of children,” Oz admitted another piece of information that he had been withholding.

“You could have just told me your plan all along. Why don't you trust me?” David wanted to know what was up. Was he purposely holding back? Did he have some kind of reason that no one should know his plans? What in the hell was going on?

“I'm sorry,” the Dius sighed and cast his gaze to the white grass below. “I actually didn't want to kill your wellbringers. In truth, it was hard and I could not do it myself. You have human love-feelings for me, right?” Although he didn't quite understand the concept of love, Oz knew that it must be painful dealing with such things.

“What does that have to do with anything?” David immediately became defensive over the subject. Even so, he didn't know how to feel about Oz now. It was true that he cared about him a lot, but at the same time, he hated him in this moment.

“Could I tell you something in confidence?” Oz didn't know how he'd feel about it, but it needed to be said.

“What? Now I'm good enough?” That was bullshit. If he was just going to admit it now, like some paperback romance novel, David didn't want to hear it.

“I can understand if you say no, I just…want to tell someone how I really feel,” Oz was tired of holding back his emotions. Now there would be no more secrets. He would respect David's wishes and give him the answers to everything he desired.

“Are you trying to make me a god?” David wasn't done questioning his motives.

“What?” Oz was caught off guard by the question.

“Are you trying to make me a god figure to these people?” He had theories about it before, but they were really just that - theories. However, as time progressed, David felt more and more like that was the goal that the Dius were aiming for.

“You've brought up this theory before,” Oz noted. “It seems you believe it.”

“It adds up,” David deduced, “like you're trying to make some sort of structured society. You put us as the planetary heroes, then the others will look up to us, being young and impressionable.”

“I want you to lead them, yes,” Oz wasn't going to lie, that was part of his plan.

“I have to wonder if you're really sure about this yourself,” David wondered if Oz was just taking a gamble on structuring their world into something he believed to be correct. How was he so certain that this method would turn out good for the new Earth?

“I can't hide much from you,” Oz admitted his defeat. “I'm illegally saving your world and going against Calypso.”

“Why?” David was flattered, but why was it so important that he save a planet like his? Out of all of the places in the galaxy to spare, it was Earth.

“Because I want to use this planet as a place where both of us can live,” the Dius finally revealed what he was planning to do. “That part isn't a lie. If the other races want to co-exist, then that's fine but I don't want certain things in this society that will further hinder the situation and endanger our species any more than they already had.” He wanted a safe haven for both Dius and humans alike. He wanted a peaceful planet of co-existence but he needed the right conditions to create it.

“It's going to be perfect,” David said sardonically. “This whole thing sounds pretty communist of you.”

“I don't mean it that way,” Oz tried to defend his ideas. “The older humans cannot reproduce and have set minds on us.” This was his way of executing Darwin's Law, and ridding the planet of distrust. With those kinds of problems came a corrupt atmosphere and it blackened his perfect vision.

“Just because you think its defective doesn't mean it is. You're way harsh,” David scolded him. “Mellow your ass, man.” It was so pointless to kill people because he thought they were unfit to adjusting to whatever utopic society he had a vision of creating. In fact, it made him an awful person. No one would respect him if they knew their peace resulted from a bloodshed past where their heroes were nothing but sadistic butchers.

“It's hard to take all of this-“ the Dius was cut off again.

“Then let me help you,” David pressed the issue. He wasn't going to back down.

“So, maybe I do need help. However, if you choose to be my partner in all of this, then you cannot have a soft spot for anyone.” That was the element of time and all of its essence. It was unforgiving, always pressing forward and always evolving. Oz knew David probably knew all of this, but taking on that responsibility was something to deeply consider.

“Why?” What was so wrong with that?

“Because time is on no one's side,” the words were dark and serious. In order for David to assume the role of someone with strong affiliations to time, he would have to abandon his alliances with his friends. It was the only way he could completely become his apprentice.

“It's what I came to be a Time Guardian knowing. You can't keep bearing all of this on your shoulders alone. Look at how you fucked it all up.” Obviously Oz needed help. He needed to stop being so stubborn and take David's hand.

“I've come to know my screw ups lately. Time cannot be erased,” Oz admitted that he'd made mistakes in the past.

“Maybe not, but we can learn from our mistakes,” David tried to reassure him. He didn't know everything, but from what he did know David was sure that Oz didn't need any more mistakes like that in his life.

“I'm not sure how to do that with my situation,” Oz knew that he was doomed to disappointing more people. There was no looking around it with his element.

“We can work on it,” David wanted to help him. He wanted to try for him. There was no way that he could see how the Dius was a lost cause.

Then, without a word more, Oz reached forward and wrapped his arms around the boy in a tender embrace. The boy's body went stiff at the contact for a moment. It was unexpected; something he didn't think that the alien would do, and then he loosened up and hugged him back. For someone so seemingly cold at times, Oz felt warm in his arms. After a few moments of silence, Oz thanked him. David told him to just be open with him.

“I'll try,” Oz was willing to give him that. “I'm not used to being open with people and sharing my problems with them.”

“Dude, same,” David knew how that felt. “I think we have the same problem.”

“What do you mean?” It was strange to Oz, to meet someone like that.

“We both care a lot about what people think of us. We try to be important and do shit by ourselves so we can look like total badasses, but it doesn't always work and our decisions at the time aren't as cool as we think we are.” That was the best way that David could describe their situation, anyway. He hoped that it got across well.

“I rethink myself a lot. I also wonder if Dante was right. I created Tarvos because I didn't want to take on any issues and I couldn't bear the fact of being grim reaper and creator of my own devices.” Ever since that detail of the past had come out, Oz felt a sense of guilt over what he had done and he wondered if that was another bad decision. While it was true that he birthed something potentially good into the universe, he had also given it a life that was deemed less than fitting in the eyes of everyone around him. Had he truly made the right decision?

“Seems you have as much denial as I did,” David admitted, “maybe I still do a bit.”

“I wonder,” Oz looked thoughtful, “if Unwine truly thinks I'm cruel.” Surely, someone like him could see the good of what he was doing, or trying to do. Unwine was the Balancer, the one who kept everyone else in check, Oz wanted to believe his decisions and judgment was impartial.

“For making him The Balancer?” David asked, arching an eyebrow.

“Since we are two separate races, maybe what Rezzi purposed wouldn't be so bad.” Now that Oz thought about it, he wouldn't mind it so much.

“She likes him a lot, pretty sure if you told her she'd have to find a way to mate with him to be able to give him freedom. She'd rip off her clothes like come at me, bro.” David backed up and performed the motions to rip off his clothes as he stuck out his chest with a wide grin.

Oz arched an eyebrow at that last comment. What on earth was he doing? Humans were strange.

“What?” David stared at him in confusion. He was telling the truth.

“You have strange comparisons,” the Dius noted.

“Would it be such a bad thing?” David asked.

“Yes,” Oz noted.

The boy slumped over and frowned. “You're such a cynic.”

“Let us say that we put them together as pyrex. Let's just say I was feeling forgiving and told Unwine he'd have to like her if she altered her opinion and judgment. There are many errors-“ Oz began to explain, but he was cut off by David.

“Equal consequences,” the boy noted, “give her the same ultimatum. Equal power.” That wasn't so hard of a thing, was it?

“This subject,” Oz paused, “I'll deal with things like this later.” There was already too much going on, and a plethora of other things he had to worry about. Right now, it was all he could do to keep it together.

“I think if Unwine understands his element, then he'd do fine. Look at Tarvos and Ares. Pretty sure they'd kill each other if one of them fucked up. I feel like they have a good understanding of each other,” David might not have known much about the Dius' system of love, but he did know that they acted as a system of checks and balances on each other. If that was true with all of them, it should apply to the Balancer as well.

“Unwine has been out of line before, and I don't know how Tarvos got a heart, but I'm glad that he did.” Tarvos might have gone against Oz in some aspects, but the fact that he was able to get someone in a region was a big deal. This meant that he was capable of feelings. It was an odd concept considering when he was created; Oz cast all of the negative feelings from himself and created a seemingly heartless being from them. Did this mean that he messed up somehow? “Maybe he can treat Ares well. I'm amazed he got Ares to come here.”

“Must be stubborn, like you,” David figured like-father-like-son.

“He is the offspring of Calypso and I. He gets it honestly,” Oz was unsure of who he took after. Then again, the both of them were stubborn.

“I hope that he can help us,” David wanted to believe that the Warrior King could give them substantial help. Every little bit helped.

“More than you know,” Oz confirmed. “To have him and Dante is a miracle in itself.” Ares had burning hatred for the element of Chaos. Tarvos must have done something huge to make him change his mind like he did.

“I'll stand by you, through hell or high water,” David vowed his loyalty to the Dius before him. Everyone was in this together, and there was no way that he planned on abandoning Oz. More than anything, he wanted him to know that.

“Huh?” Oz was caught off guard.

“I want you to trust in me,” David placed a hand to his chest, “I'm still pissed at you for killing my parents, though.” He wasn't going to get over that for a while, if not forever.

“I know,” Oz's voice lowered. “I've learned a lot about you, and more about myself as well. Maybe I should `pick your brain' as well.”

“Come at me, bro,” a small smile tugged at the corners of his lips.

“You're a dangerous type,” Oz noted.

“Dude, what?” David arched an eyebrow.

“I could grow to like you,” the Dius paused, “a little too much.”

A small blush surfaced on the human's cheeks, “dude, gay.”

Oz drew his face closer to the dark-haired boy's. “I don't understand what that means.”

What in the hell was Oz trying to do? Was he trying to make some kind of advance on him? David could barely keep his composure with those white lips so close to his. “Don't tease me. Not cool,” the boy scolded, even though his voice didn't really have the scolding tone to it. It was more of a nervous phrase than anything, which made David curse himself.

He only met with the sensation of hands on either side of his face. The contact made him freeze. Oz brought their faces even closer, and David could feel butterflies explode and multiple in his stomach, bouncing off of the lining in a desperate attempt to get free. His reddened skin deepened as the color spread over his face.

“I'm sorry,” Oz nuzzled the side of his face. “My methods are probably not the best or poorly explained but I admit that I need your help.” For the first time in a long time, he was actually going to accept what David had to offer.

“Remember, we're team mates and partners in crime now. I want to know what you know. Don't underestimate me. I won't tell anyone about you and what you know. If it ever gets found out, then Tarvos can kill me where I stand.” That was a solemn promise that David vowed to keep.

Pulling back, Oz leveled him with a determined gaze. “Then let's move forward from here.”

XxXxXxXxXxXx

Tony walked up to the pink-haired Dius in the dark. She had been holding a candle to get around and Ares and Karkatta stood in the distance, talking to each other. He said her name and she turned in question. What did he want to ask her? Why her of all people?

“You know what gender Karkatta is, don't you?” Tony asked the question so seriously.

It caught Ares' attention from across the room. “Are you serious?”

“She'll never tell you,” Karkatta crossed their arms over their flat chest. “Find out yourself, you rock band reject.” Did he really think he'd get around their defenses by questioning everyone they were close to? What an idiot!

“Oh,” a sly look crossed Tony's face. “I have my ways, bit you don't want to suffer the consequences of my actions.” Those words were dark and perverse in nature.

Karkatta placed their hands on their hips. “Oh yeah? Bring it, rooster head.”

…To Be Continued