Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Capricious Infection ❯ Act 47: Disaster ( Chapter 47 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

XxXxXxXx

Capricious Infection

By: Revamp/Melissa

Act 47: Disaster

XxXxXxXx

Hepesta lay on the ground, unmoving as Lannad ran up to her and called her name out. The blue-haired girl was worried about her, since she had been hit directly by the blast. Anything could have happened to her, and Lannad could only worry that she hadn't been critically hurt or worse.

Dropping to her knees, she grabbed the cat girl by the shoulder and brought her up to her body. Hepesta's form still felt warm in her arms, which was a good sign that she wasn't dead. Lannad's worried visage didn't waver as she examined the one in her arms and repeated her name several more times.

“Purrfectly fine,” Hepesta said after cracked one eye open and gave her friend a weak smile. “The magic was weak.”

In fact, it barely scratched her. The only injuries she sustained were from the kick up of debris and the force in which she was propelled forward. It merely caught her off guard.

“I can always make it fatal.” A familiar voice could be heard as the two female's attention was directed towards the source.

“Ayumi!” Lannad drew back in a mixture of horror and shock as she connection with who the voice belonged to.

“She's one of them,” Tony's voice was dire. The expression on his face hardened at the girl he once had known.

“What do you want here?” Hepesta stood her ground, fists clenched as she stared down the black-haired school girl.

A smirk crossed Ayumi's face. What a stupid question in all honesty. “Are you shocked at the Dark Maiden's revival?”

“Dark Maiden?” Lannad didn't know what the hell Ayumi was even talking about. What did she mean by that?

“What the actual hell are you talking about?” Tony was just as confused.

“I'll crush those who defy the name of our mother goddess. Those in affiliation with the Time Lord must be executed.” Her words were serious and held delusion to them. It was as if she had been brainwashed in some way, so completely loyal to whoever this Dark Maiden was.

“What you're doing is wrong. We're not the bad guys here,” Lannad so desperately wanted to get through to her old friend. She wanted Ayumi to see the errors of her ways.

“Your mother goddess is the one tripping the axis. She's throwing off the balance of this planet and its people,” Hepesta argued her fealty for the opposition.

However, Ayumi wasn't going to have any of that. The girl merely stared at them with a dead expression and drew her bow, arrow pointed directly at Lannad's chest. “You must die.”

“I don't think so,” Hepesta's words were defiant as she took off running. The cat-like alien darted straight towards the arrow as Ayumi let it fly towards her.

“Sanctuary!” Lannad cast her spell by pointing her wand. She created a transparent yellow force field around her new found friend that deflected the arrow. It hit the field with a thunk and spiraled backwards, landing on the hard earth.

Hepesta stopped upon realizing that the girl had saved her. She thanked Lannad for her assistance.

“Let me do this. We used to be best friends.” Nostalgia hung in her words, along with a sense of regret. Lannad never wanted things to end like this, but she figured that if it would then she would be the one to do it. The least that she could do is take her out of her misery. Ayumi deserved to have a better death than this. This hollow existence as a pawn was no way for anyone to live in the afterlife.

She would set her free.

Ayumi pulled back another arrow on her bow. The tip of the arrow began to crackle and pop as a dark aura of energy manifested around it, growing in size. She called out the words `piercing darkness' as the arrow slowly became consumed with energy.

Lannad held up her Diorus Staff as a wave of distortion jutted out from the tip of it. She summoned her attack by shouting the word `degeneration' as the wave hit Ayumi's arrow and knocked off its dark aura. The weapon hit the ground, landing flat. It was as if it was no more than a normal arrow.

“Please Ayumi, reconsider what you're doing,” Lannad all but begged her old school friend. She didn't want to have to kill her. Somehow, she hoped that the girl would regain her conscious thought, even though she knew how impossible of a notion it was.

“Our mother goddess will rise again and from the rubble she will right all wrongs laid to this world by the Time Lord. From the wreckage, a paradise will rise for all of the living beings in this world. However, those who go against her might world will fall subject to harsh punishment.” It was as if the black-haired girl were some kind of apocalyptic preacher and her words would be beneficial to mankind the way she spoke of her supposed deity.

“Don't you see what she's doing? She has you believing some crap. Do you really think she'll do that? Do you honestly think she'll give you a paradise? You're her pawn. She'll kill you when she's done,” Tony tried desperately to reason with her. He knew it was nearly impossible, but if he could only break through he knew he could make her at least realize that her twisted views aren't as grandeur as she believed them to be.

“Blasphemy! She gave me life!” Ayumi was offended and angry that they would dare to argue against the will of her goddess. She drew back another arrow, firing it at him.

Tony flinched as the weapon sped through the air, ready to strike him. He screwed his eyes shut before he heard a tinking noise. No contact was ever made. Slowly opening his eyes, the male set sights on the one who had saved him - Pregmacia.

She had deflected it with the blade of her axe. “You look like you needed a hand,” the pink-haired Dius glanced behind her with a smile.

“It's time to up the ante,” Ayumi took four arrows from her back and drew them on her bow. “Go my deviants! Thrash those who oppose the goddess!” Upon firing them, the arrows sailed through the air, steeped with black energy that morphed into black birds that resembled the phoenix in appearance.

“Energy Splitter!” Pregmacia called out her attack as she used her powerful legs to launch her body into the air. She swung her axe down, the blade dug into the miasma of darkness and sliced through the arrow. Just as the weapon broke, the spell dispersed and the dark waves of energy dissipated into the air.

Tony swung his axe with all of his might and called out for his Wave of doom spell to be activated. Waves of black energy were emitted from the weapon and bombarded Pregmacia and Ayumi, distorting their images.

“You've improved,” Pregmacia took note that his training had paid off as she turned to face him.

The proud axe wielder struck a pose, holding his weapon out like a gallant, victorious hero. To get a compliment from someone like her was truly an honor. He felt his confidence go up in a striking amount. “I'm awesome!”

However, that was short-lived as a sword whizzed by his head, dangerously close to ending his life. Tony let out a loud scream as it stuck into the ground a short distance behind him.

“Hold it right there!” Mae pointed dramatically at him with a look of stern irritation on her visage. “Don't think you're getting away with that easily.”

“Even if we defeat them, they'll come back.” Lannad knew that fighting them was pointless considering who they were. With the way that the world was now, they had immunity. It was their saving grace.

“We can't just let them defeat us. We can't do anything about it until we break her loop,” Pregmacia knew that was their objective. The only reason they had even decided to combat those two was because they antagonized the situation.

“Well, I'll do my best to fight,” Hepesta knew what she had to do. Even if they fought and couldn't kill them, maybe they could deter them for a while.

Mae placed her hand on her hip and smirked at all of her opposition. Did they think they had a chance? It was really amusing at how much faith they had in themselves. “You're so funny, with your little kitty claws. Do you honestly think you can beat us? Don't you get it? We're eternal. We literally can't die.”

They were unbeatable. They were indestructible. They were aware of that more than anyone. Mae and Ayumi were literally the perfect soldiers. No matter who came across them, they would always come out victorious.

“That means that we can't either,” Pregmacia pointed out the flaw of their ideals.

“Huh?” Lannad's eyes widened a bit before she cast a questioning glance at the pink-haired Dius.

“That loop applies to all souls lost since its creation. There is only one way to keep a soul from returning,” the pink-haired Dius was well-aware of what to do in situations like this if they wanted to truly defeat Mae and Ayumi.

“If it has no body to return to, then it cannot live out it's eternity as a reborn life form,” she told her two friends of her knowledge. It would be easier said than done but it was a solution to their problems, and a way that they could finally put their friends to rest.

Fear shot through Tony's form. While this was a good solution for what they were trying to achieve, he knew that the same tactic could be used for them as well. His blood ran cold as he thought of dreaded scenarios. “Oh god. If we die they'll like, dunk us in acid so we can't come back.”

“It would e a fight over the body,” Pregmacia knew what it would come down to.

“I don't have time to die again. When our mistress takes over this world, she'll make a new paradise out of this and create a new world where we'll be given chance at a new life.” It was something that Mae wanted, something that she couldn't wait to have in her own reality. This was one of the many reasons she fought with such passion. Her mistress had worked so hard to give her another chance, and she wasn't going to let it slip through her fingers.

“So, that's it?” Pregmacia finally saw what they were trying to achieve. Did they really think this would be their ultimate vision? How shallow they were to believe such things.

“Do you think she'll actually keep you alive?” Hepesta was very skeptical of what all those two girls had been offered. How did they know that their goddess wasn't just going to return them to the earth when their tasks were done?

“All we have to do is defeat you and send you all to hell. Then, I'll be on my way to a new life,” Mae was certain that she would finally get a chance to experience all that she desired.

“I can't let you do that,” Lannad wasn't going to stand by and allow that to happen. “Your existence is a cruel one and these poor people need to rest in peace.” She couldn't stand it. She hated so much that they were being used like that. This wasn't her friends from high school. Lannad didn't know who these people were, but they were suffering and she felt compelled to set them free, to rid them of being used. Lannad merely wanted them to be put at peace with themselves.

“So, you'd rather wipe out your kind than allow them to flourish?” Mae couldn't understand what kind of backwards nonsense that was. Clearly someone with that kind of ambition was unsettling to think about. Mae wouldn't dare let her dreams come true.

“You betrayed your race. You are past the point of forgiveness,” Ayumi would never forgive her for her heinous actions. In her eyes, there was no reason for wanting to stand by such a morally corrupt ideal.

“It's not your motives that hold the true distortion, it's your souls,” Pregmacia frowned. It was sad that these two had come to this. Such unfortunate souls that were caught up in circumstances that was beyond their control.

It was tragic.

“So says one who works for the messiah!” Ayumi drew her bow once again and fired an arrow at her.

The weapon sped towards its victim, but before it could reach its destination was cut short by a sickle that spiraled through the air at light speed and crashed into the arrow. The weapons bounced off of each other with resisting force. The arrow crashed to the floor and the sickle continued to travel a short distance before it was caught by a small hand.

Karkatta's body flipped through the air and landed before them. A stern expression crossed her face as piercing eyes glared a hole into her enemies.

“Give it up. It doesn't matter how concrete you think your plans are, they aren't going to work. Even if you stand still, time still passes on,” Karkatta tried to talk some sense into them, although she knew that her words more than likely fell upon deaf ears.

“In the end, time will be forced to cooperate with us,” Mae knew it was all a matter of time.

“Like hell,” Karkatta wasn't going to let that happen.

Mae's expression hardened with anger as she dug her heel into the earth and launched herself towards the female Dius. Karkatta retaliated by blocking her sword with her sickle.

“Let's see what you've got!” Mae pressed her enemy to fight her.

“I'll put you back in the ground,” Karkatta wasn't going to return her where she came from where she couldn't foil their plans.

“You'll have to do better than that,” Mae smirked and swung her weapon. Her enemy swung her sickle around and hooked her weapon around it.

“I never said in how many pieces,” Karkatta retorted as she shoved the sword away with the force of her own sickle. She attempted to cut Mae's head off but she barely missed her as the girl stepped back. Ayumi launched another arrow at her, but she Tony ran up and swung his axe, releasing an attack called Armageddon Strike, which created a wave of energy from the blade that was sent out and blasted it back.

Ayumi took multiple arrows and pulled them back on her bow. Magic sparkled and gathered around their tips as flames ignited them. Launching them into the air, they gathered momentum and flame before they multiplied and rained down on the earth below, looking like falling comets of fire.

“Firestorm!” The black-haired school girl called out as her attack pelted her enemies from above.

“Crap!” Tony cursed as he held out his battle axe and spun it in a circle. He created a whirlwind that swept up the fire around him and morphed it into a wall. He swung his blade down and cut through it calling out the words `Rolling Flames' before the fire transformed into a streaming flow and rolled in waves towards the bow master.

Mae pointed her sword at Karkatta, “damn.” The blonde's line of sight traveled to the fire and that small distraction caused Karkatta to knock her sword out of her hand.

“Pay attention to your fight, bitch corpse,” Karkatta's words cut through the blonde as she swung her weapon again.

Mae hopped back and evaded her move before a blast of energy knocked the Dius off of her feet and sent her reeling backwards.

Ayumi watched the wave-like structures of flames rolling at her. They were huge, taller than any waves she's even seen in the ocean. Orange light glowed around her as her dead eyes still concentrated on them. The girl was petrified. This wasn't how she wanted to end her life. It was never her intention to fail her great goddess.

Just then, a shadow covered her line of vision. It appeared to be a male who was tall and lean with remarkably good looks. He was something that seemed like a perfect prince from a fairy tale movie. The male was sharply dressed with short, blue hair. He opened his hand to reveal a pristine gem that glimmered in the wake of the flames.

Glowing brilliantly, the gem emitted a large wave of foggy energy that expanded in a circle and engulfed the two of them. It served as a barrier to reflect the flames. The fire swept around them in angry patterns, the flames tried desperately to bite at the barrier and pierce it but to no avail.

“Who is that asshole?” Karkatta questioned from her position, sitting on the ground with the tip of one of her sickles dug into the ground.

“Ringo,” Lannad's voice was nearly breathless as her light blue eyes widened.

No.

Not him, too.

This was bad.

“Another human furrend?” Hepesta cocked her head. It seemed like her ally knew this man. She couldn't help but wonder what the story was behind them.

“We don't have time for this. Our presence is required,” Ringo turned to the two girls with a stern expression.

“We'll settle our scores later.” Whatever it was, Ayumi could tell that it was something that required her immediate attendance.

“Damned spineless piece of shit cowards,” Karkatta's words poured from her mouth like poison as the gem emitted a blinding light that consumed the entire area.

“Argh! What the fuck!?” The Dius covered her eyes as she was bathed in luminescent white. She shielded her eyes to protect them from the garish light and by the time it faded, the three of them had disappeared from sight.

“They're gone,” Hepesta stated the obvious and glanced around to make sure that her comrades were alright.

“Damn it! What do we do now?” Tony was frustrated. They almost had them, only to have them run away.

“Maybe we should regroup and go back to Oz,” Hepesta had a feeling that he might know what to do. If anyone knew what to do about the current issues, or even of a direction to shove everyone in, Oz was the man with the plan.

“This is worse than I thought,” Pregmacia's expression turned steely. “I wonder how many of them have come back.”

The fact that the number had been greater than she imagined worried her. Did this mean that everyone who had died was alive? If so, then the armies of her opponent could be even vaster than she knew. The very thought of armies of that magnitude with the element of immortality behind them was more than frightening. It could mean the difference between the destruction of their planet and a victory on their side.

“Maybe it's not as many as we think,” Karkatta tried to be positive. “I mean, the Death Factory got rid of a lot of them. Their bodies were destroyed so they can't come back. We really should thank Ares for that. His creepy as fuck manufacturing methods partially spared our asses.” Even if she didn't care for him, it was one good thing that he did. In fact, he should come and take care of some of those eternal zombies running around. It would be much appreciated.

“So, now we have to just get rid of the bodies after we kill people? Man, this sucks. We can't just keep chopping away at them,” Tony sighed. He wasn't a mortician, or someone whose job was to destroy evidence of a crime scene. Why should he have to obliterate someone's hull every time he made a kill?

There wouldn't always be an event in which he could just get rid of bodies. What if he had to hurry and get away from a hoard of zombies? What if he didn't have time to get rid of their bodies? If that was the case, he would either be making more immortal zombies or not ridding the world of the ones that already existed. That seemed counterproductive.

“If we want to make purrfectly sure then yes,” Hepesta closed her eyes. “It's our only method right now. I think everyone else should know as well. “

The more people who knew about the disposal of the bodies, the more people they could put to rest and the less immortal bodies that could be made.

The pink-haired Dius placed a hand to her forehead in exasperation, “this is beyond problematic.”

XxXxXxXxXx

Rezzi sat down on a fallen log that resided close by. Her Dimension Shatterer was rested against it with the pointed end dug into the ground. The blind girl exhaled slowly, finally able to get a moment of peace or at least she thought.

Just then, her cell phone went off.

She flipped it open to acknowledge that she received a text from a certain secret admirer of hers. Rezzi answered him.

Hello.

It's me. I have a favor to ask you.

Sure.

Take the Dimension Shatterer and walk 107 paces to the east.

It was an odd request, but the blind girl arose from her position and grabbed her weapon, following his orders. The grass crunched beneath her shoes as she counted out her steps.

What am I doing this for?

You'll see. Just do it and don't be a whining ass about it.

Rezzi continued her path as she counted out the final step and came to a stop. She then addressed the other, informing him that she had followed his orders and she awaited his text message.

Now what?

Pivot to the south. I want you to use the Dimension Shatterer on that space of open air. Execute your fullest attack. I'm well aware that you've never used it before, but trust me. I'll be giving you what you wanted.

What I wanted?

Just use the damned thing!

Hold on. I have to put my phone down.

Rezzi didn't know what was going on, nor did she know what capriciouscarnage meant by `going to get what she wanted'. What on earth had she wanted that she was going to get?

Pale eyes behind dark shades focused on her weapon in her hand. The girl shoved the phone in the waist band of her skirt. She drew her weapon back behind her head with all of her might and called out the words `Dimension Shatter'. With a sharp inhale, the girl put all her weight into slamming it down.

The tip of her weapon stopped abruptly as it hit the dead space. It was as if there was an invisible snag in time and space that opened when she struck it.

Golden light poured from it as it shattered and cracked. Snapping sounds were heard as the pieces began to fall away from her reality, as if it was made of glass and what lay beyond it was some sort of parallel universe that they never knew about.

The pieces of what seemed like glass burst apart and fell to the ground in a clatter. Some of the stabbing deep into the earth as the background came into view.

He head tilted up as her sights were directed towards what looked like the man roofs of houses. It was an odd perspective, as if she was hanging in the sky as she peered down upon a sleepy-looking cluster of houses with blood red grass in their yards.

“Where am I? Is this some sort of alternate paradox?” Rezzi asked herself as she glanced around her. It was as if at any point she expected to fall, but hung, suspended.

Before she could think any more on the subject, another figure walked into view. He wore a sea foam green suit and had snow white skin and messy hair with oddly-shaped black horns that curled. He had piercing eyes and a vexed expression on his face.

She clutched her weapon to her chest defensively and squinted as she tried to use what was left of her sight to make out the figure. “Who's there?”

“You dipshit,” the figure growled in a familiar tone, “I'm capriciouscarnage, The Balancer, Unwine Umbera.”

The girl lowered her weapon as her visage lightened. “Could you come closer?” Her voice was less defensive, more friendly and soft.

Unwine walked up to her, the sound of his black dress shoes clacking on an unseen plain. He got close to her, incredibly close. The Dius was so close that his smell permeated her sense, and their noses nearly touched.

Sea foam green eyes pierced her hazy vision as bony hands with long claws reached up and removed her glasses. For a moment, Rezzi was shocked. She couldn't believe that the friend she'd known for so long was standing before her.

“I can see you,” it was even more so amazing that her sight was nearly perfect. She could see Unwine in all of his glory and make out all of the details of his being. From the dark circles under his eyes to his chiseled features and pointed chin, the Dius was stunning.

Unwine smirked and closed his eyes. “You're fucking short compared to me.”

Their height difference wasn't too bad, as the top of her head came up to his collar bone, but it was apparent enough to remark on.

“Is this real?” Rezzi didn't even comprehend the moment, much less the fact that she could both hear and see him.

“No, you're tripping on your human drugs.” Honestly, she was ruining the good moment he was trying to make. Damn it! Why did he expect her to roll with it?

“No offense, but this place gives that feeling,” Rezzi had to admit, it was an unsettling environment for the two of them to meet in.

So fucking sorry I spent all of this time making this place and you tell me its bullshit,” Unwine complained with his trademark scowl before looking as if he came to an epiphany. “Oh, and now that you're here and I can see you,” he held up both hands, flipping the girl off with a sly grin. “Yes, gaze upon the glory of the double middle finger. You can bask in the feeling of me being a bastard, because it is what I am.”

Rezzi didn't quite have the reaction that he wanted, as tears flowed down her pale cheeks. This caused Unwine to cease his actions and give her a confused, yet still irritated glance.

“Don't tell me I hurt your precious feelings. How disgu-“ He didn't have time to finish that sentence before she wrapped her arms around him tightly. Rezzi buried her head into his chest in a tight embrace.

“Thank you…so much…” Her tears never stopped as she continued to bury her head into his chest. The action was comforting, and the smell of clothing and woodlands permeated her senses. For some reason, his smell was pleasant to her.

“Oh god. Stop it. You're getting me wet with your disgusting human tears,” Unwine frowned and put on his tough façade, but made no efforts to shove the girl away.

Rezzi looked up at him with tear-stricken eyes, “I'm sorry. I've just known you all of my life and I'm overwhelmed. I've wanted so long to meet you. I was so scared that I'd be blind before I even got the chance.” It was her biggest fear, something she almost came to terms with. She was so happy in this moment, happy just to see him, happy to know what he looked like.

“Rezzi…” Unwine's voice was low as he gently hugged her.

She returned the gesture. “I'm so sorry that I didn't see anything before. You're right. I'm a stupid bitch.”

“For that you were,” he wasn't going to argue with that.

“I'm so sorry,” Rezzi continued to apologize as she held him close and listened to his internal organs. She assumed the Dius had something akin to a heart. Her sensitive ears picked up on something that she thought was a beat but she wasn't sure.

“Heh, you're right,” Unwine gently ran a hand through her hair. “If you think it hurt my feelings, then you can just…fuck off.”

“Oh,” Rezzi pulled back a little and tilted her head down. Before she could say anything, long, white fingers wrapped around her chin and tilted her head up. Pale eyes met with the gaze of sea foam green ones.

“No,” his voice was harsh, “fuck you, Rezzi. Stop making this awkward.”

“Sorry, since I'm blind my sense of touch is better than most,” and because of that, the fact that he was holding her chin in such a way managed to make it twice as awkward.

“Okay, disturbing,” honestly, did she have to tell him this in the moment?

“Only if you're a pervert,” Rezzi smiled a little. She knew he looked at porn at the very least.

This caused the Dius to blush. “Oh my god. F-fuck you.” Before he could even let her continue to stare at his color-stained cheeks, he turned his face away. There was no way in hell he was going to let her see his embarrassment. He'd rather die.

“You're so embarrassed. You-“ Rezzi smiled, letting out a small giggle before she cut herself off. “Never mind.”

“No one has dared to say such a thing to me,” Unwine held his hand over his face, still turned away from her. He wasn't turning around.

“To be honest, to never feel the love of another is a horrible fate. You can die from loneliness,” Rezzi didn't want to keep her words in. More than anything, she wanted him to know that she understood even if she found his situation tragic.

“I fucking deserve it,” Unwine's words turned dark.

“Unwine,” Rezzi protested.

“I'm not saying it to be a prick or self-loathing.” More than anything, he wanted her to understand that. Besides, he was hardly that kind of guy. What did she take him for?

“Who do you say that?” She wanted to know. In actuality, she hoped he'd tell her.

“The reason I'm in this predicament is because I loved someone so much I tipped the scales for them,” his voice was solemn and his head tilted down.

These were memories that he didn't want to relive, but Unwine knew that he owed Rezzi an explanation of his past. They knew each other all of this time, and he couldn't blind her to the truth any longer.

It was finally time for her to know the real capriciouscarnage.

…To Be Continued