Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Colors ❯ Orange ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Title - Orange
Words - 208
Summary - It had always been too late for love
 
She remembers orange. In years long past, she thinks back on her life and remembers the golden years: high school, college, friends, family, love…
She remembers old boyfriends, long left behind. She remembers old friends, names forgotten in the years she's not talked to them. She remembers family, the move that took her away from those she loved. Most of all, she remembers orange.
She remembers a boy with black hair streaked with gray before his time. A boy who wore orange constantly, and bounced around faster than anyone else. She remembers a crush, an admittance and rejection. Remembers feeling horrible for having to say no, and the guilt that came from his depression for weeks after.
She remembers saying goodbye on her last day, remembers the faint expressions of sorrow on the nameless faces of her once-friends. She remembers a kiss, a special goodbye to the one person who wasn't acting his color anymore. She remembers the way he glowed afterward, a sort of bittersweet happiness that maybe made her fall in love, just a little bit. Too late, of course, always too late. Always.
She looks out the window as she thinks and remembers, and stares at the sky painted so brilliantly orange by the sunset.