Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Common ❯ Part I: Summer Mockingbird: Chapter Nine: Little Dolls ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Nine: Little Dolls:

Kelly fell in love in the middle of summer. But, why didn't she look so happy?

“What's the matter?” Atticus asked her one morning. Kelly tried to make herself smile.

“Nothing,” she said. She sighed as if to hold back her tears. Atticus sat next to her. Kelly slowly nodded.

“I met someone,” she said. The little boy tilted his head.

“Who?” he asked. Kelly looked out onto the park.

“He's a good man,” she said. “But…” The woman looked down at her hands. “It's just… Just…” Kelly felt herself trembling. Atticus grabbed her wrist. Kelly turned her head and shook it.

“I'm so sorry,” she said. “I can't stand it myself.” The woman lifted her head and breathed in. “It's adult things.”

“What do you mean?” Atticus asked.

“You wouldn't understand,” Kelly said. Atticus rested his head on her shoulder.

-------

Kelly met a man at work three weeks ago. His name was Adachi Haru. All the girls at work loved him. Haru proved to be a model worker at the cram school where he and Kelly worked. They met when she was getting worksheets for her class. Kelly couldn't reach the box that she wanted.

“Come on,” she murmured. “Just a little more…” A pair of strong hands grabbed the box. Kelly turned and saw him. His deep brown eyes stole her heart.

“You okay?” he asked. She slowly nodded.

“Yeah,” the woman said. “Thank you.”

“You're welcome,” he said. Kelly watched him walk away. Her heart pounded against her chest.

Haru was the one who made the first move. He came up and spoke to her. Kelly couldn't figure it out. Haru could have any woman he wanted. But, he came to her. He spoke to her every day. The man was the one to ask her out on a date. Kelly blushed when he asked.

“S-S-Sure,” she said. They had a nice time on their date. Haru treated her like a lady. He listened as she spoke. When they met up, he gave her flowers. Haru gave her the attention she needed. Pretty soon, they started dating.

But, Kelly didn't understand it. She should be happy. Why her? He could have any girl he wanted. There was plenty of them around the office. She should be happy. But…

“Haru-kun,” she said in the park one day.

“Hm?” he asked. She looked him in the eyes.

“Why do you like me so much?” Kelly asked. Haru blinked at her.

“What do you mean?” he asked. His girlfriend shook her head.

“No, what's the matter?” he asked. Kelly sighed.

“Sometimes,” she said. “I wonder if I am really happy.”

“Kelly-san…” he said. His girlfriend shook her head.

“I should be happy,” she said. “I have a good job. The neighborhood I live in is nice. My friends are great. You are a good man. But…” She froze as lowered her eyes.

“I'm sorry if I sound like I'm rambling,” she said. Haru patted her on the head.

“I won't leave you, baby,” he said. “I love you.” That should make her happy. But why? Why wasn't it the case? She couldn't understand it.

-------

Kelly shook her head.

“I'm just scared,” she said. Atticus looked up.

“You're scared?” he asked. “Why?” His older friend sighed.

“Adult things,” Kelly said. “You will understand one day.” The boy rested his head on her shoulder again.