Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Common ❯ Part III: Call to Innocence: Chapter Ten: Marilyn ( Chapter 36 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Ten: Marilyn:

Her name was Obuchi Marilyn. Only five years old. Her brothers were protective of her. She always had a smile on her face. So sweet, so precious. But, she almost died once.

When Marilyn was three, the family went to Okinawa for vacation. This was the first time the children had been out of Tokyo. The train ride itself amazed them.

“Wow!” Sanjiro said. He couldn't take his eyes off the moving scenery outside. His brother and sister watched with him. Atticus laughed to himself as Aoi smiled. The kids would really go crazy over the beach.

Okinawa was what the family needed. Tokyo life looked a little bit dull. Atticus scraped up the money for this trip. Aoi's jaw dropped when he gave her the news.

“What? Are you serious?” she asked.

“Yes,” he said. Aoi wildly hugged him. Atticus patted her on the back of her head.

The first two days of their vacation went great. The children enjoyed the beach. Atticus and Aoi got to relax for a change. Marilyn ran towards them, sailing.

“Hey, honey,” Atticus said. “Are you enjoying yourself?”

“Yes!” the little girl said. Everything was fine.

The third day started off normal. The kids went to the beach. Marilyn was fine that morning too. Just her happy and hyper self. She talked about everything she wanted to do. Atticus and Aoi smiled and laughed with her. The child was fine when she went to the beach with her brothers.

By noon, something was wrong.

---------

-Present Day-

Marilyn sat in the principal's office, waiting. She didn't look up at anyone. Everything was so quiet around her. She didn't look up as Aoi ran into the principal's office.

Meanwhile, Aoi stopped to catch her breath. Ito-san sat behind his desk.

“Welcome, Obuchi-san,” he said. “Please, take a seat.” Aoi looked so nervous as she sat down.

“Did something happen?” she asked. “Is she in trouble? Marilyn is usually a good kid!” Ito-san moved his hands up and down, shushing her.

“Calm down, miss,” he said. “It's nothing serious. We just noticed something off about her.”

“What do you mean?” Aoi asked. Ito-san straightened his brown-framed glasses.

“There is no way to put this,” he said. “But your daughter is deaf.” Aoi looked so confused.

“What?” she asked.

“We tested her hearing this morning,” Ito-san said. “She doesn't respond to the teachers or her classmates. She doesn't react to sounds around her at all.” Aoi didn't know how to react at first.

“It's not a bad thing,” Ito-san tried to assure her. “You might just need to make adjustments for her.”

“Adjustments?” the child's mother asked. The principal handed her stacks of pamphlets.

“What is this?” Aoi asked.

“Schools for deaf children in the area,” Ito-san said. “I'm sure you can find the right one for Marilyn-chan.”

“But… we can't afford these,” she said.

“I can give you recommendations if you like,” the principal said. Aoi's stomach turned. This was just like two years ago.

--------

-Two Years Ago-

Marilyn started to look worn out. She wasn't eating much. The little girl didn't want to get out of bed. Atticus and Aoi became worried.

“Sweetie?” Aoi asked. She put her head on the child's forehead.

“Oh my!” she gasped. “Atticus-kun! Atticus-kun!” The couple took Marilyn to the doctor Aoi couldn't keep still in her chair. Atticus patted her back.

“Shhh,” he whispered. “It's okay. She will be fine.” They looked up when they heard the door open. The doctor stepped out in the hall. Aoi stood up.

“How is she, doctor?” she asked with her hand to her chest. The doctor gave her and Atticus a calm smile.

“It's okay,” he said. “She had a slight fever. You brought her in just in time. She will be fine in a few days.” Aoi's knees buckled. Atticus had to hold her up. But, good news like that never lasts.