Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Consumed by the Darkness ❯ Promises ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
protect that which is important. That was Akito’s motto; his personal saying. His entire life was full of the desire to protect. Nothing more and nothing less. Yet somehow, he had failed to see one close to him that needed protecting. If only he had been able to see it. The least he could do was too comfort his childhood friend. After her breakdown, Akito walked Ayumi home. It was very unlike her to allow that kind of emotion to flow, but Akito was glad he had been the one to be with her when the moment came.

‘Ayumi, as long as I live, I promise that you won’t suffer that kind of loss again.’ Akito thought as Ayumi entered her home quietly, without ever letting anyone know that she had left.

It would be best of Ayumi’s family did not see her lose her composure. Akito knew how Ayumi’s family could be. They would either react by treating her harshly for being weak, or they would simply coddle her like some sort of weakling. Akito would not allow that sort of thing to happen because he felt in his heart that Ayumi was one of the strongest people he had ever known.

Akito walked down the silent street. Dawn would be approaching soon. Luckily, It was Sunday morning and there would be no school. Akito would be able to rest once he completed his ‘errand.’ It was only a fortunate coincidence that Akito had stumble upon Ayumi in the park.

Akito returned to the area the part was and leaned against its outer fence to await the moment he would complete his mission. After about twenty minutes he hear the distinct sound of footsteps, and then a loud scream of terror. That was the moment Akito chose to walk around the fence to face his foe.

“I’ve been tracking you for days, phantom. But, it’s time for you to stop eating humans.” Akito’s persona had change from the ordinary, perhaps plain young man he pretended to be when around others. At that moment Akito had acquired a frighteningly cold aura and his expression was that of a warrior bend on killing his opponent. Akito set his eyes on the large and terrifying creature that stood in his field of vision, towering over its victim, a young girl out far too early for her own good.

The monster was about twelve feet in height. It had claws that extended to close to eight inches each and its rough looking skin was a sickly color somewhere between dark gray and a muddy green. The phantom lofted its grotesque head and focused its eyes on Akito.

“And what do you think you’re going to do, boy? No one will ever even find your bodies, or even a drop of blood once I’m done. They’ll be…Right here.” The demonic creature pat his fat belly and grinned, it’s large yellowed fangs peaking out over it’s lower lip as it did so and it’s red eyes glinted maliciously.

Akito closed his eyes and let out a low chuckled. The monster gave the young man and odd look.

“And just what is so funny, human?” The demon asked.

“You really thing you’re something. Thing is, I’ve taken care of much stronger and better looking bastards than you.” Akito shrugged his shoulders and shook his head before smiling coolly at the monster.

“You seem to think that you have covered your tracks and left no way for anyone or anything to expect you ever existed. You think no one has been paying attention to the large number of missing persons reports flooding this area? Heh…Thing is, I’ve been able to sense your energy, which you forgot to conceal, for several days now. But that’s not how I found you. You see, you so stink badly that even someone ungifted can find you.” Akito laughed and the phantom let out a low growl of anger.

“You think you’re so smart?! I’ll make you suffer before I eat you!” The phantom bellowed as it lunged at Akito.

The creature barely clipped Akito’s face, merely leaving a gash on his cheek. Akito sidestepped another blow as the monster grunted with rage. Akito then jumped into the air to a height that not ordinary human could jump and flipped over the monster, landing behind it. But Akito had misjudge just how large the creature was and felt a blow knock the wind out of him. Akito gripped his bruised side, recovered, and dodged just in time to his being struck a third time. Akito now had a better understanding of the creatures size, and its weakness.

The monster lunged again and Akito was ready for it. The demonic being missed and then felt something like a blade, but not quite, slice through its spine and muscle tissue., which paralyzed it. He fell to the ground with a thud that shook the entire park. Being unable to move, it turned its face towards Akito with disbelief.

“How…?” The phantom started.

“You underestimate humans. That’s how it happened, Phantom.” Akito answered in a cold tone before swinging his arm and slicing through the monster and cutting it in two horizontally. Then the creatures body began to melt until it was just and small bubbling puddle of ooze.

“Don’t ever think that a low class phantom can kill me.” Akito whispered as the ooze quickly evaporated, leaving no trace of the phantom’s body. Then Akito turned to the young girl who had been sitting in silent shock on the ground since his arrival and extended his had out to her.

“I’m sorry about that.” Akito said, reverting back to his usual, kind persona. “Are you hurt?”

“N-No…” The girl looked up at Akito, still holding traced of fear in her large green eyes.

“Don’t worry, I’m not one of the bad guys. You can trust me.” Akito smiled warmly. The young girl still looked uncertain. Akito sighed and looked down at the girl.

She looks like she’s about eleven or twelve. So it’s no wonder she’s scared of me after seeing that. Akito scratched his head in thought and then smiled at the girl.

“How about this? If I can’t get you home without you getting attacked, I’ll let you beat me up. How’s that sound?” Akito asked. “I’ll be the one with something to lose if I can’t protect you properly.”

The girl, after sitting silently for a moment, then nodded her head. “Okay.”

“Good…Now, I’m Akito. Hogo Akito. What’s your name?” Akito asked.

“Yujo Suki.” The girl replied as Akito lifted her to her feet.

Suddenly, the little girl touched her hand to Akito’s chest and looked into his eyes intently for a moment after smiling.

“Now I know you’re good Aki-chan!” Suki suddenly exclaimed and threw her arms around Akito’s waist.

“Whoa…Hey.” Akito looked down at the girl in astonishment. Was she acting like that because he had saved her? “And wouldn’t be a bit more appropriate to call me Hogo-san? You don’t know me…”

“I know you pretty well for now! I can tell if people are good or had if I look into their eyes long enough. I can see their hearts! And you’re the first person I’ve met who is different like me!” Suki jumped and hugged Akito once again. Akito raised a brow.

“Hey, hey! Calm down. We need to get you home, remember?” Akito reminded the child, a little exasperated.

“Okay…” Suki folded her arms and huffed.

“Anyway…Just why were you out this early? The sun isn’t up yet.” Akito asked.

Suki looked at Akito quietly and lowered her head. Akito watched her in silence for a moment before speaking.

“Is it something you want to talk about?” Akito asked. Suki shook her head and Akito nodded.

“Okay, I won’t ask you to tell me if you don’t want to. Now, shall we go home?” Akito waited for Suki to nod and she grabbed his hand and smiled up at him as she pulled him along with her.

It took the two close to fifteen minutes to make it to a tall apartment building. Nearly every light in the building was out, which was to be expected since the sky’s edge was just beginning to glow an eerie shade of gray as dawn approached. Most people would normally still be in a deep sleep at that time. That was why Akito could not let go of the curiosity that plagued him about Suki, being her age, was out at such a time.

“I can go the rest of the way by myself, Aki-chan.” Suki said, breaking the silence that had formed as she led Akito along with her.

“Are you sure? Most kids would be too scared to be alone after something like what you just went through.” Akito replied. Suki shook her head.

“It’s fine. I can go myself.” Suki look almost sad for a moment before quickly changing the subject.

“Can you make a promise Aki-chan?” Suki asked. Akito nodded.

“Sure. Anything you want.” Akito smiled.

“Can I visit you?” Suki asked. Akito thought it was and odd thing to ask of a stranger, but he smiled anyway and linked his small finger with hers.

“Okay. I promise we can visit each other.” Akito promised and Suki smiled before running to the building and disappearing inside.



Several hours had passed and Akito was drenched in morning light as he entered his dimly lit home. He was immediately met by his uncle’s drilling gaze. His uncle’s eyes seemed to accuse Akito of what he already knew he would hear about once he arrived at home.

“Phantom hunting again?” His uncle asked.

“Yeah.” Akito’s face remained expressionless as he removed his shoes and stepped onto the hard wood floor.

“How’s mom?” Akito asked.

“She had more convulsions last night…While you were out.”

“I see.” Akito replied.

“You know that all this phantom hunting won’t bring your father back or restore you mother’s health, don’t you?” Akito’s uncle asked. Akito sighed.

“I know.”

“So, why do you keep going out at night?” His uncle asked.

“To keep what happened from happening again.” Akito turned his back to his uncle and walked down the narrow hallway to his mother’s room and entered. Akito then crossed the room and took seat in the chair that always remained beside her bed.

“Mom.” Akito watched his mother’s pale face and she breathed slowly, deep in slumber. Akito could see the sweat on his mother’s brow and took a cloth from the bedside table and wiped her forehead. He could see that it was yet another rough night for her.

“I’m sorry I left. But, when I sensed that presence I had to.” Akito whispered, not knowing whether his mother could ever hear him anymore.

“I’ll make sure I find that phantom killed dad and took half your soul. I swear, even if it means I die, I’ll bring you out of your nightmare.” Akito whispered. “I promise.”