Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Cove ❯ Training ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"Come on Ryuji!" Haruko exclaimed. "It's Thursday."
"Hm?" the boy said. Then, it hit him.
"Aww! Do I have to?" he whined out.
"Yes!" Haruko said seriously.
"Can't I miss one day?" Ryuji pleaded.
"You know how sensei gets," his sister said sternly. The boy sat back and pouted.
"Excuse me," Kasumi spoke up. Ryuji and Haruko looked up.
"What's so important today?" the woman asked.
"We have dojo training every Thursday," Haruko explained.
"Regretfully," Ryuji grumbled.
"Why?" Kasumi asked.
"Cause the sensei is a sadistic, that's why!" the boy exclaimed.
"Only because you're a klutz!" Haruko spoke up. *Plus-cross on Ryuji's head*
"Shut it!" he snapped at her. She just grinned.
"You can come with as if you like," Haruko invited Kasumi.
"S-Sure," the lovely guest said.
"Great!" the sister said. Ryuji just hung his head.
The trio headed to the driveway. The day was cloudy, but dry. The neighborhood looked like ancient Japan, but there was evidence it was still the twenty-first century. Power lines stood high to the sky. They seemed to say, "We own this neighborhood!"
Kasumi stayed close to Ryuji and Haruko. She didn't know this place. For all she knew, this place could have some deadly secrets here.
Ryuji looked grouchy along the way to dojo training. He hated spending his morning and afternoon training for hours and hours on end. It was tiring, difficult, and cruel. He wished he could just fast forward through this part of this day every week.
Haruko didn't mind it. She was top in the senior female taekwondo class. And she also got along with most of all the people there.
"So Kasumi," Haruko spoke up. The woman looked up.
"Hm?" she asked.
"Do you have any combat skills?" Haruko asked.
"Why yes I do," Kasumi answered.
"Like what? Judo? Kendo? Taekwondo?" the sister asked.
"Kendo and taekwondo," the woman answered.
"Great!" Haruko exclaimed. "You'll be in the same class as me!"
"Okay..." Kasumi said softly. Ryuji mocked his sister under his breath.
The trio made it to the school. Kasumi was in amazement. The building looked like a Japanese castle. The gardens were perfect. The lawn was so green. Oh! This had to be heaven.
Ryuji snorted. How he hated this place. It made him want to hurl. But sadly, the boy was stuck here; he might as well grin and bear.
"Lovely, isn't?" Haruko asked.
"Um-hm..." Kasumi mumbled. Ryuji just rolled his eyes. Haruko smiled as she began to walk inside. Kasumi followed behind. Ryuji processed reluctantly.
The scent of hickory greeted them. Kasumi felt small here. This place was like a gym. Any form of martial arts was active here. Kendo, taekwondo, you name it, it was here. Kasumi was impressed.
"Haruko!" a voice called. The trio looked up. Two girls were rushing to them. Haruko's eyes lit up.
"Ashley, Michi!" she exclaimed. They met up in the middle and fell into chatter. Kasumi and Ryuji were left alone. The woman eyed the boy. He looked like someone rained on his parade. Kasumi lightly tapped Ryuji on the shoulder. He slowly looked up. She slowly signaled him to follow her. The pair headed outside.
"Yes?" Ryuji asked once they were in the garden. Kasumi sat down.
"You hate training, right?" she asked.
"Yeah," Ryuji said. "Why?" Kasumi smiled.
"Come here and I'll tell you a little secret." she whispered. Ryuji's eyes grew big.
"Really?" he asked. The woman nodded. This was too good to be true. He stepped close to her. Kasumi looked around quickly. She leaned in close to Ryuji. Her soft breath made his heart skip a beat.
"Imagine that you are protecting someone dear to your heart." Kasumi whispered. "You wouldn't want to fail them, would you?" Ryuji shook his head. He stepped away. Kasumi smiled.
"Course not," she said as she rose off the ground. "Now, do good." Ryuji nodded. The pair went back inside.
A duel was taking place in the building. Today was exam day. All forms of martial arts were having its students engage in combat to who would advance to the next level.
The sensei out to the doors. He smiled were he saw Ryuji and Kasumi. Hu-sensei was an elderly Asian man, but more into his late forties. He had the eyes of a tiger, the instinct of a hawk, and the wisdom of a sage. Hu-sensei knew good skill when he saw it.
"About time!" Hu-sensei called to Ryuji when he got to the crowd. The boy hung head with shame. Kasumi lightly nudged him. Ryuji looked up. She said nothing but just smiled at him. What could this sweet face be thinking? The boy just stared back at her.
"Come on now!" Hu-sensei snapped. "I don't have all day!" Ryuji came back to earth and looked around. Hu-sensei and the rest of the class were waiting. Ryuji sighed and walked to the ring.
Ryuji had been in the kendo class for three years. Unfortunately for him, the boy was failing annually. Ryuji looked at his opponent. A big Asian kid stood in the ring. He looked ready for a fight. Ryuji just rolled his eyes and sighed.
Fatty bubba again!, he thought. Why can't I ever get a break from sensei?
Ryuji picked up his bamboo sword. Bubba stood grinning.
"Ready to flunk....again?" he asked. His opponent rolled his eyes and sighed. The crowd watched on.
The duel began. The first two rounds were grim for Ryuji. He ended up on the ground. Bubba seemed to enjoy himself. Hu-sensei rolled his eyes.
Here it comes again!, he thought in disappointment.
Ryuji stood to his feet. He looked beaten up.
Not again!, the boy thought. It never ends!
But then, Ryuji closed his eyes. He felt a serene mist approach him in a forest of chaos. The boy felt so calm. Suddenly, a force came to him, a force powerful enough to destroy a whole fleet of army ships. Ryuji felt fear at first. What was this power?
Something in the boy quickly changed. It was like a rush of power. Where was it coming from?
Ryuji then heard a voice. It was Kasumi's.
"Imagine that you are protecting someone dear to your heart." she was she saying to him.
Yes, he thought. I shall!
"Here I come!" Bubba called out. The big boy charged again. Ryuji slowly opened his eyes. Hu-sensei watched him closely. The sensei noticed a change.
This isn't Ryuji!, he thought. Bubba charged closer. Ryuji slowly raised up his sword. Bubba raised his and sped up even greater. Then… KLANK!!!
The students stood amazed. Ryuji had blocked Bubba's attack with his own sword! Bubba himself stood stunned.
How can this shrimp defeat me?!?, he thought.
Ryuji grinned. He drew back his sword and whack down Bubba in the chest.
The finale role smiled upon Ryuji. The students were too stunned for words. Hu-sensei watched on impressed. Kasumi just smiled. The duel ended with Bubba lying face down on the floor.
Hu-sensei stepped forward. He raised his hand into the air. Ryuji watched numbly.
"Ryuji will pass to the second level!" Hu-sensei boomed. The whole class stood silent. Ryuji smiled to himself. For once, he was a winner.
Chapter four: Training