Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Cove ❯ Into the Chi Blue ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

After dinner, everyone had a bath and went to bed. Kasumi didn't sleep, however. She got out of bed and wandered around the house. She came down to the den to find the grandmother sitting alone in the dark looking at a picture. The vagabond observed her for a long moment.
"You can come in if you want," the old lady told her. Kasumi paused.
"You sure about that?" she asked.
"Yeah, yeah," the old host replied. "I couldn't sleep anyway." Kasumi came over and sat down next to her on the low sofa. She looked over at the grandmother's picture. A man stood proud with what looked like his wife, son, and daughter. The woman with her long black to her waist held the little baby boy in her arms. The man had his strong hand on the little girl's teal green hair. They all looked so happy.
"My son was a fool," the grandmother said. Kasumi looked up at her.
"That man loved those kids to death," she said. "After his wife died, he took it upon himself to raise them all on his own. I helped him of course. We all had a quiet life in the beginning."
"Then, the house manifested itself within your granddaughter?" Kasumi asked. The old lady nodded.
"Yes," she said. "My son would do anything for his little girl.
"So he set out to find the Cove to try and save Kameko?"
"Yes."
Both of them sat in silence. Kasumi lowered her head.
"So that's why..."
"Yes. I can't lose anyone else. Their parents are already gone. Asuka and Kameko are all I have left now!"
Kasumi lightly patted her on the back. The grandmother sighed and lowered her head. Suddenly a little idea crept into the vagabond's mind. She turned to the old lady.
"Hey, may I see Kameko-chan again for a moment?" she whispered. The old lady glanced at her.
"Why?" she asked. The wandered gave her a little smile.
"I think I might be able to help out a little bit," she suggested.
"How?"
Kasumi didn't answer her. She got up and headed out the house. The grandmother looked after her.
"What are you doing?" she asked. Kasumi made it all the way to the shed. She unlocked the door and went inside. Kameko still sat on the floor out in a daze. More drool escaped down her chin. The vagabond drew in a deep breath.
I only have one shot at this, she thought. The woman slowly approached the girl. Kameko wiggled away as if to escape from a wild animal coming to attack her. Kasumi gently shushed her.
"It's okay," she whispered. "I'm not going to hurt you. I'm here to help you." She gently touched the girl on the forehead and began chanting to herself. A soft ripple entered the young girl's body. She screamed and panted hard. Kasumi never lost focus.
Keep on the center. Keep on the center. The ripple grew with each mental chant. Then, Kameko's body slummed downwards as she went into a deep sleep. Kasumi drew back her hand and breathed out.
"That should hold for now," she murmured to herself. Outside, the grandmother watched the whole time. Her jaw just dropped. Who is this woman?
Meanwhile, he found her again. His eyes ripped open to blood red.
Chapter Seventeen: Into the Chi Blue